Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pie Colony posted:

for anyone having trouble getting paxlovid, there's an online website that does same-day appointments called PlushCare. they have a free trial and the doctor i got just looked for ANY comorbidity -- BMI >25 counted for me with nothing else. not that she could really see how fat i was on camera

looking forward to cumtown doing an ad read for covidchew.com, the best, fastest way to get no-questions-asked paxlovid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!

Pie Colony posted:

for anyone having trouble getting paxlovid, there's an online website that does same-day appointments called PlushCare. they have a free trial and the doctor i got just looked for ANY comorbidity -- BMI >25 counted for me with nothing else. not that she could really see how fat i was on camera

It's cool that paying for insurance just gets you a base level of lovely healthcare in America and you get to pony up for these shady concierge services if you want the good stuff

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AppleNippleBOB posted:

crossposting this advice, I’m not a dr, but the person who shared this w me is.

We saw benefit with several over-the-counter therapies that we used on hospital patients before the FDA approved therapies came out and in conjunction. Here’s what I recommend taking to help lower your symptoms and help you recover:
-Vitamin D, 1000 units or 2000 units daily (low vitamin D levels are linked with higher hospitalization and increased severity in early covid studies)

-Famotidine (Pepcid AC) 20mg daily. Start this immediately if you can. Shows benefit if you start it early as possible. Vanderbilt is currently restudying this to see if our research matches many of the other research showing benefit.

-Melatonin 3mg, 6mg, or 10mg daily. All showed benefit so whatever you can find or have on hand.

-Aspirin 81mg daily. Blood thinner and reduces clot risk. Don’t take any more than 81mg daily, that’s all you need. Also don’t take if you have ever been told not to take NSAIDs, ibuprofen, or naproxen. Otherwise you are fine to take.

-Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are great for pain and headache. 500mg acetaminophen, take 2 every 8 hours. Ibuprofen 200mg take 2-3 every 8 hours. You can take ‘em together or alternate every 4 hours or so.

-Mucinex (guaifenesin) is good for cough as it gets the mucous out. Don’t take unless you start to have cough.

-Zinc (this one is iffy, doses in studies are pretty high, 300mg/day, so I would not recommend taking that unless under doctor’s supervision. If you have a generally 30-50mg supplement around the house, taking it daily should help your immune system a bit, but it’s not necessary).

Stay hydrated, Pedialite is great if you haven’t been eating much, Gatorade and Powerade are pretty sugary but work well if you have them.

If you have a pulse oximeter or a way to measure Oxygen Saturation, I recommend it just for safety. If your oxygen saturation drops below 95% then you need to be evaluated by a doctor, preferably the ER. Note: if you have COPD or similar Lung condition your normal levels may already be lower.

p good info

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Thoguh posted:

If they are bedridden but not in the hospital hooked up to oxygen then that’s what counts as mild. Which is stupid as hell and intentionally confusing on the CDCs part. It’s mild unless you’re almost dead.

yeah it's pretty awesome that the definition is: "it is mild up until the point that you would be dead if not for miracles of modern medicine and oxygen extraction/delivery" lol

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's not mild it was never mild... some people said it was milder as a means to further their career which means they should be lined up and shot in minecraft

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Thesaurus posted:

is a post interview dinner a thing for many jobs? Sounds awkward and hellish for everyone under normal circumstances

yeah this struck me as incredibly weird tbqh

A couple times I've had team dinners celebrating a new hire or even a departing coworker, but expecting someone to shmooze with you when you're dangling their employment future in your hands seems like some kind of weird flex.

I did work one place where we had a "culture fit" interview block that we usually did over lunch, to keep it casual and break the day up, but it was very explicitly part of the interview block and also just served the basic function of giving someone food while we were interviewing them for 4-5 hours (that may have been at least 1-2 hours more than was necessary but that's another argument).

My read is that employers right now are binary. My current and former employer are all "offices mostly closed, stay home as long as you want, if you do want to go in maybe you can but there's protocols etc around vaxx status / mask rules / etc". A few places I looked at before I took current job seemed to either be completely Open Biden, or trying to straddle some line that doesn't really exist.

Flipside, even if the place that original OP was talking about is full Open Biden, if the position they are applying for is 100% remote and they just need to clear the interview gauntlet -- well, in that case, I'd decide if I thought the job was worth risking COVID exposure and then I would prolly n95 all the way on airports and everything else, but not wear a mask in the office, definitely do the dinner, probably do the cocaine after-event in the back of the CEO's Tesla, and then just hope for the loving best and get an airbnb for 5 days on my return to isolate my family.Z

If the place is totally masks off, and OP's intention is to do anything other than this, then I would make it clear before getting on flight, "I am still masking, this isn't negotiable, I will be masked in your office and if you'd like to take me to a social event afterwards that's fine but I will also be fully masked there." No super vitriolic words, also zero apologies. If that causes them to say "actually, nah, don't come out", well, there you go. If they're just like "okay sure dude, you do you" and they still want to pay for the plane tickets to interview you, cool, they're personally being stupid but they are open minded and probably not judging you for it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's cool that paying for insurance just gets you a base level of lovely healthcare in America and you get to pony up for these shady concierge services if you want the good stuff
You seem to be in a position to know this pretty directly and I can't imagine how your work doesn't make you insane.

I'm just back on the sweet teet of corp insurance now, and it's better than the private insurance I had -- but the private insurance was actually pretty god drat good and covered a lot of stuff I wouldn't have expected. It also cost $30,000 a year. Post tax. Before any utilization. :crackping:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Well, taking a look at Iowa's cases so far this year Omicron peaked in mid January, we got to a minimum at the end of March, and since then cases have gone up 3x with about 30% growth each week in April. Wonder how high we're gonna end up going. Especially since no one is testing anymore so the real numbers are some multiple of this.

code:
Date		Positives that week
1/5/2022	28385
1/12/2022	48685
1/19/2022	50184
1/26/2022	39810
2/2/2022	23501
2/9/2022	14020
2/16/2022	8128
2/23/2022	5202
3/2/2022	2747
3/9/2022	1733
3/16/2022	1196
3/23/2022	892
3/30/2022	847
4/6/2022	855
4/13/2022	1083
4/20/2022	1395
4/27/2022	1994
5/4/2022	2707

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I am not sure if this counts reinfections either.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Greg Legg posted:

Here read this article comparing China's zero covid policy to the great leap forward if you need some anger to power you through this lovely week:

https://asiatimes.com/2022/05/prices-chinas-paying-for-zero-covid-ukraine-war/?mc_cid=99e5d49e1a&mc_eid=82eccab09a

Edit: Reading this makes me feel like I'm crazy

oh my god this is an amazing hate-read. just full of absolutely bonkers poo poo. like #1 totally ignoring the fact that china lifted more people out of poverty than any country in history afaik

but also there's some real zingers like this one:

quote:

At the same time, however, China didn’t develop an effective vaccine; its population was not made immune; and, most importantly, Chinese people did not get used to living with Covid. The result is that, in reality, China is presently more subject to the disease, and it could have a higher mortality rate if strict rules were suddenly relaxed. Moreover, the economy is coming to a halt and the country is becoming more isolated from the rest of the world, with massive consequences.

...but what if they don't suddenly relax the restrictions bro? also the chinese economy is growing faster than any large economy on earth lol ugh just pure propaganda

it's not even like i'm free of criticism of china's handling (i think they could achieve the same goal in more efficient and humane ways) but this is all just made up

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a recommendation for a CO2 monitor that isn't the aranet4 because that poo poo ain't cheap

This was posted upthread, with a raspberry Pi or something it could probably be useful for a fixed location, could probably get readings remotely too

May be workable with just USB power and a phone to pair it to

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

AppleNippleBOB posted:

crossposting this advice, I’m not a dr, but the person who shared this w me is.

We saw benefit with several over-the-counter therapies that we used on hospital patients before the FDA approved therapies came out and in conjunction. Here’s what I recommend taking to help lower your symptoms and help you recover:
-Vitamin D, 1000 units or 2000 units daily (low vitamin D levels are linked with higher hospitalization and increased severity in early covid studies)

-Famotidine (Pepcid AC) 20mg daily. Start this immediately if you can. Shows benefit if you start it early as possible. Vanderbilt is currently restudying this to see if our research matches many of the other research showing benefit.

-Melatonin 3mg, 6mg, or 10mg daily. All showed benefit so whatever you can find or have on hand.

-Aspirin 81mg daily. Blood thinner and reduces clot risk. Don’t take any more than 81mg daily, that’s all you need. Also don’t take if you have ever been told not to take NSAIDs, ibuprofen, or naproxen. Otherwise you are fine to take.

-Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are great for pain and headache. 500mg acetaminophen, take 2 every 8 hours. Ibuprofen 200mg take 2-3 every 8 hours. You can take ‘em together or alternate every 4 hours or so.

-Mucinex (guaifenesin) is good for cough as it gets the mucous out. Don’t take unless you start to have cough.

-Zinc (this one is iffy, doses in studies are pretty high, 300mg/day, so I would not recommend taking that unless under doctor’s supervision. If you have a generally 30-50mg supplement around the house, taking it daily should help your immune system a bit, but it’s not necessary).

Stay hydrated, Pedialite is great if you haven’t been eating much, Gatorade and Powerade are pretty sugary but work well if you have them.

If you have a pulse oximeter or a way to measure Oxygen Saturation, I recommend it just for safety. If your oxygen saturation drops below 95% then you need to be evaluated by a doctor, preferably the ER. Note: if you have COPD or similar Lung condition your normal levels may already be lower.

ngl this seems like a Joe Rogan post.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Greg Legg posted:

Here read this article comparing China's zero covid policy to the great leap forward if you need some anger to power you through this lovely week:

https://asiatimes.com/2022/05/prices-chinas-paying-for-zero-covid-ukraine-war/?mc_cid=99e5d49e1a&mc_eid=82eccab09a

Edit: Reading this makes me feel like I'm crazy

China owes me cheap goods and if I don't get them at any cost in human lives I will be very cross

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4SG0iLiPoA

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

still reading the article and oh my god it's so racist. tw if if you're chinese this next paragraph is extremely stupid

quote:

People may wish that the zero-Covid disaster could bring down President Xi Jinping. However, this seems at the moment unlikely because, as the Great Leap Forward proved, Chinese people have considerable tolerance for suffering and Chinese leaders have even greater resilience.

:biotruths:

this article is written by a white person

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Soap Scum posted:

oh my god this is an amazing hate-read. just full of absolutely bonkers poo poo. like #1 totally ignoring the fact that china lifted more people out of poverty than any country in history afaik

but also there's some real zingers like this one:

...but what if they don't suddenly relax the restrictions bro? also the chinese economy is growing faster than any large economy on earth lol ugh just pure propaganda

it's not even like i'm free of criticism of china's handling (i think they could achieve the same goal in more efficient and humane ways) but this is all just made up

It is loving INSANE

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Soap Scum posted:

still reading the article and oh my god it's so racist. tw if if you're chinese this next paragraph is extremely stupid

Having to stay in your home for a week while food is delivered: extreme suffering, intolerable debasement

watching a million+ of your fellow citizens die while the government and your oligarch class tells you that you're on your own: extreme freedom, liberty

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

As far as I can tell it is now over a month since the NYC wastewater surveillance data was updated on either the NYC or CDC data portals without any explanation. This information is explicitly described as an input into the CDC's community risk levels so definitely good transparency here.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Greg Legg posted:

It is loving INSANE

the author is an italian journalist who mostly writes for Settimana News, which i checked out with google translate and it seems very obsessed with the catholic church so, idk, i guess it's not surprising his ideas are totally bonkers

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Having to stay in your home for a week while food is delivered: extreme suffering, intolerable debasement

watching a million+ of your fellow citizens die while the government and your oligarch class tells you that you're on your own: extreme freedom, liberty

right, like, for everyone one video of people in shanghai struggling (or hell, even dying, just assume the premise) with the lockdowns, there could be 20 videos of people gasping for air and crying as they take their last breath and their family is in shambles around them. like do they just not realize one gets filmed and put online while the other doesn't but is still happening?

(don't worry i know it's just anti-chinese racism)

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Soap Scum posted:

the author is an italian journalist who mostly writes for Settimana News, which i checked out with google translate and it seems very obsessed with the catholic church so, idk, i guess it's not surprising his ideas are totally bonkers

right, like, for everyone one video of people in shanghai struggling (or hell, even dying, just assume the premise) with the lockdowns, there could be 20 videos of people gasping for air and crying as they take their last breath and their family is in shambles around them. like do they just not realize one gets filmed and put online while the other doesn't but is still happening?

(don't worry i know it's just anti-chinese racism)

No, the latter definitely gets captured and archived, that's the whole point of HermanCainAward

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thoguh posted:

can't say that it doesn't, but 1000 IU of vitamin d daily for a while is not gonna hurt you if you're coming out of the winter and not in the sun belt. might even help if you're deficient--half of americans are. makes far more sense to rectify deficiencies before you catch something, though.

melatonin makes sense, as covid fucks up your sleep habits and getting more sleep = fighting illness better, anyway.

low dose aspirin makes sense, though you should run it by your doctor. :shrug:

pain relief and mucinex being used just as they would for any infection, sure. zinc is probably lol, but the post even says that.

the pepcid is new to me, though. would probably run it by my doctor if i caught covid again.

filing this all under "largely harmless hail marys because our treatment options aren't great."

Insanite has issued a correction as of 15:12 on May 4, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Nah, Joe Rogan was recommending people not get the vaccine if they were "young and healthy". All of that is just a "well hey here's what worked for me after I'd already been infected but ymmv"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Can I watch the covid spdrman movie yet?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Mar 5, 2023

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Insanite posted:

can't say that it doesn't, but 1000 IU of vitamin d daily for a while is not gonna hurt you if you're coming out of the winter and not in the sun belt. might even help if you're deficient--half of americans are.

melatonin makes sense, as covid fucks up your sleep habits and getting more sleep = fighting illness better, anyway.

low dose aspirin makes sense, though you should run it by your doctor. :shrug:

pain relief and mucinex being used just as they would for any infection, sure. zinc is probably lol, but the post even says that.

the pepcid is new to me, though. would probably run it by my doctor if i caught covid again.

filing this all under "largely harmless hail marys because our treatment options aren't great."

again, I’m no dr - just crossposting

Hey! So the Famotidine mechanism of action in COVID infection is still not clearly understood, but the benefits of it in reducing mortality, hospitalization, and severity are seen time after time in the studies we’ve seen over the last 2 years. Famotidine is a Histamine H2 receptor blocker, and studies seem to point to its ability to block and mediate histamine release as the most likely mechanism of action in reducing the total length of COVID symptoms and reducing severity. Normally, Famotidine is used for reduction of stomach acid in GERD and acid reflux, and also I’m combination with H1 blockers like Benadryl and Claritin/Allegra/Zyrtec in severe allergic reactions. So far, only Famotidine has been shown to be beneficial in COVID-19 infection.

Melatonin is believed to work due to the SARS-CoV-2 inhibiting its release from the body as normal. Melatonin works in a variety of ways to help activate anti-inflammatory and antioxidant pathways, reducing cell damage and reducing the creation of damaging by-products of the immune pathway.

Long story short: they don’t act directly to reduce a particular symptom of COVID infection, but rather help directly to reduce total severity of symptoms by reducing COVID’s ability to cause more damage in the body.

If you haven’t started Famotidine 20mg daily yet, I recommend you start, as the earlier started seems to have the best results. Melatonin is beneficial as well and I recommend starting it, but Famotidine should definitely help overall.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
company still pushing an in person Cinco de Mayo office celebration. mask no longer required of course, but not discouraged.

Meanwhile I'm just reading about the infections spawning from the WHCD (haven't seen any numbers coming from this specifically) and just thinking... nah, nah I'm good :rubby:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a recommendation for a CO2 monitor that isn't the aranet4 because that poo poo ain't cheap

I settled on this one because I pretty much don't trust anything with a flashy landing page these days: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01966BZDY

It's supposed to get here tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it goes but caveat I have nothing to compare to

Edit: Also I kinda treat unknown random electronics like I do used cars. Hand crank windows are better there because they don't really ever break for the most part. Likewise, I go for simple to the point designs for unknown stuff. :iiaca:

Forseti has issued a correction as of 15:18 on May 4, 2022

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Mar 5, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nocturtle posted:

As far as I can tell it is now over a month since the NYC wastewater surveillance data was updated on either the NYC or CDC data portals without any explanation. This information is explicitly described as an input into the CDC's community risk levels so definitely good transparency here.

yeah at this point i'm just going with "so many people have COVID in NYC we can't even monitor anymore."

My dad wants me to come out to the burbs to visit him but I'm feelin like now might be worse than ever.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

text editor posted:

No, the latter definitely gets captured and archived, that's the whole point of HermanCainAward

i've seen the sub, it's mostly facebook posts with names blacked out. it's not useless but it's not super visceral.

i'm talking camera up in your face as you take out the vent and then gasp and gasp and cry because you literally can not loving breathe and you're suffocating in open air and your family is screaming sobbing as you die

i have never once seen a video like that and i don't think i ever will. but it has, effectively, happened at least 20,000,000 times, and probably more.

the point i'm making here is that it's easy to viscerally feel the suffering that a poorly executed city-wide lockdown can bring when you have videos of people screaming and crying being posted to reddit or tiktok every day, and it's harder to viscerally feel the pain of people choking to death on their own lungs when you've literally never seen a video of it happening and the best you get is "well cdc says another 3k died today" and a herman cain angel warriors post -- at least for most people. but the difference in visceral reaction has absolutely no bearing on which thing is actually worse because the promotion of one and erasure of the other is the point of the Covid Is Over propaganda campaign

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Beside if you want something that really does work against Covid that is over the counter, just get loads of CBD gummies.

hmm, I'm laying in bed dying but I've only got thc gummies within reach

worth a shot i guess

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Tulip posted:

yeah at this point i'm just going with "so many people have COVID in NYC we can't even monitor anymore."

My dad wants me to come out to the burbs to visit him but I'm feelin like now might be worse than ever.

I’m up the valley and three family members comin to dinner tonight who were in the city all weekend

not great! wonder if maybe I’ll just wear a mask while I cook and eat after they’re gone

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i used that paxlovid hookup posted earlier (truepill) and I've been denied. lol guess I'll die

glad they got my $29

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Soap Scum posted:

The site has loose ties to the Gray Zone, which has some interesting takes on covid. Speculating on regime change because a country is determined to keep people from getting sick is something that was joked about in previous threads, but here it is.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

NeonPunk posted:

Beside if you want something that really does work against Covid that is over the counter, just get loads of CBD gummies.

I'm not made of money

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

i used that paxlovid hookup posted earlier (truepill) and I've been denied. lol guess I'll die

glad they got my $29

ugh, gently caress. someone else posted another call plushcare. there might be other options, i don't know much beyond this. who the gently caress knows. sorry though :( that's so loving stupid and i'm livid for you that the situation is so stupid

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

text editor posted:

This was posted upthread, with a raspberry Pi or something it could probably be useful for a fixed location, could probably get readings remotely too

May be workable with just USB power and a phone to pair it to

to get a DIY aranet4 you could combine that with a cheap ESP32 board with an integrated e-ink screen, a rechargeable battery from ebay, a 3D printed case, and a little bit of programming

if you really wanted you could even write your own phone app bc the ESP32 boards tend to have bluetooth

heck maybe the NDIR CO2 sensor from that thing is available for purchase more cheaply than the sensiron AG thingy

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/AlecStapp/status/1521826908161380353

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Thoguh posted:

In the office this morning for the first time in a while because some customers are visiting. The aranet4 is saying that it’s between 600 and 620 ppm in my office which is good so I’m not bothering to keep the mask on so rip me if that’s what gets me. Looking forward to being the only masked person for the lab tour and conference room stuff later.

The black BNX 95s I ordered came yesterday so I’m rocking one of those and I like it. Doesn’t feel like a suit of armor like an aura, feels more like if somebody took a KF94 and gave it comfortable around the head straps instead of ear loops. But it is a little bigger than the aura so the bottom flap isn’t sliding as much.
thoguh

uh

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Ebola Roulette posted:

Lmao I have a BS in microbiology which is literally a degree in disease ecology and epidemiology was a loving elective

My history and sociology degrees are closer to epidemiology than any bio degree. How disease spreads is dependent upon how the organism behaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Thoguh posted:

In the office this morning for the first time in a while because some customers are visiting. The aranet4 is saying that it’s between 600 and 620 ppm in my office which is good so I’m not bothering to keep the mask on so rip me if that’s what gets me. Looking forward to being the only masked person for the lab tour and conference room stuff later.

The black BNX 95s I ordered came yesterday so I’m rocking one of those and I like it. Doesn’t feel like a suit of armor like an aura, feels more like if somebody took a KF94 and gave it comfortable around the head straps instead of ear loops. But it is a little bigger than the aura so the bottom flap isn’t sliding as much.

RIP nerd better luck next infection