Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

gently caress the situation that you're in, but I wish you good luck and godspeed. Just remember that interviewing is a skill like any other and if it's been a while don't be too hard on yourself!

thank you 💜 i'm buzzing, honestly. the fact that they're taking the time to interview me is already immensely encouraging. i put "gender transition" on the application as my reason for leaving my current position so they most certainly know what the deal is, and the lady who set up the interview would be my actual boss, so i think they're pretty serious and just need to confirm that i actually know about the stuff i claim to know about. all i really want is to work in the same field i have for my entire adult life and am comfortable in, but as the person i really am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Weedle posted:

thank you 💜 i'm buzzing, honestly. the fact that they're taking the time to interview me is already immensely encouraging. i put "gender transition" on the application as my reason for leaving my current position so they most certainly know what the deal is, and the lady who set up the interview would be my actual boss, so i think they're pretty serious and just need to confirm that i actually know about the stuff i claim to know about. all i really want is to work in the same field i have for my entire adult life and am comfortable in, but as the person i really am

Trust your gut and I hope it works out.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Pissing me off. Azure VMs love to just randomly not (re)boot.

It's never the same VM, haven't found any pattern to it, but they always fail in the same way: Boot diagnostics screenshot shows a black screen with a tiny blue square in the middle containing the little swirly animation that Windows Server does on boot. A quick click of the restart button and it always succeeds the next time. I think it's only Server 2016 that it happens to but that's most likely because the vast majority of our VMs are 2016.

They normally only reboot for patching so naturally everyone blames patching for it*, but I've seen it happen on the pre-patch reboot we do.

I reckon it's related to them running potato spec VMs and insisting on them being full GUI, not Core (A battle I've given up arguing about), but really they're either a supported config that should boot, or they're unsupported and they shouldn't only let you install Core on this spec.

* patching gets blamed for every fault that is triggered by rebooting. DBA forgot to set the MSSQL service to "Automatic" after loving with the service? Patching broke the database

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

I'm rooting for you, friend!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I’m not actually particularly mad or anything but please mourn with me fellow goons a 2:30am page for an unhealthy ES cluster that ended up just being a GKE control plane upgrade. At least I’m off call in five and a half hours.

I feel like the solution here is to page on red and warn on yellow. Not sure how I’d get ES to not yell about temporarily unallocated shards when data and master containers are rescheduling onto new nodes, though I welcome suggestions.

Either way, it’s 4:30am now, sleep beckons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Person in this meeting that setup a desk mic so they don't have to wear a headset, but it loses their voice if they lean too far back in their chair. Every single time they start talking they lean back, someone complains of broken audio, they lean forward, it's fine for five seconds then they start leaning back again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do not loving come to me on the last day of sprint and ask if we can change the design because it "looks complicated" on the informatica graph. Also, don't loving wait until the last day to tell me you didn't understand my (extremely elaborate and verbose) instructions and made an assumption that means you're now going to have to change it and carry the story over. Why is this same person consistently trying to murder me via heart attack every Monday morning?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I love when people come into my office looking for things and are actively casing the joint as they ask for whatever it is they want. Are you looking in case I lie and say I dont have it when I do? FOH

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

When you go on holiday for a week, and no-one has taken care of any of the poo poo you do to keep things up and running even though you wrote documents for it all. Bonus points where they're things that don't get noticed for a few weeks, so by the time the end users are screaming about the data loss it's already fixed, but in the meantime Joe always denies there is a problem because nobody is screaming about it so it's not important

Plus two of the failures being massive "I told you so"s after being made to do the wrong thing, or remove a previous fix

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's vulnerability time :toot:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/alert/ARUBA-PSA-2022-008.txt

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

It's vulnerability time :toot:

sometimes i wonder whether it was morally defensible to have a kid

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, gently caress. There goes my week.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Please don't be controllers or APs.

Whew.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: having to be the bad guy. I know that Oracle support is only doing their job, but I give you a network diagram, ping and traceroute results, all the details you could want, don't send me a KB article on how to do what I've already done, actually investigate because every time I do this same task something goes wrong in a different way.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pissing me off: having to be the bad guy. I know that Oracle support is only doing their job, but I give you a network diagram, ping and traceroute results, all the details you could want, don't send me a KB article on how to do what I've already done, actually investigate because every time I do this same task something goes wrong in a different way.

It's Oracle. The only thing you should be pissed about is not being able to throw them under the bus even harder.

gently caress Oracle.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I just tried to enter a ticket with my vendor and apparently they do not sanitize their inputs because if I included a settings file extract with a semicolon in it when I submitted the ticket I got a SOAP error.

And holy cow do I hate how this vendor has so few people left that they all do the same thing that 22 is talking about where you will do full troubleshooting, write a novel, provide all connection details, etc, and they wont read anything. Instead I get a form email asking me to provide problem details and connection information, and then the case goes to pending - waiting on customer. I get it, I used to do the same job for this vendor, and it was rough, but from what I have heard they are loosing most of the US based staff they have left.

And long ago a company I worked for pre- virtual world was so pissed at Oracle and how they started charging per processor with their licensing that we had a project to track processor usage on our DB servers and if we could, remove processor daughter boards to reduce licensing costs. That is a level of spite I can get behind.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know that Oracle support is only doing their job

They're not doing their job, ever. They're terrible.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

:v: Hey Joe, we should fix this Aruba vuln
:butt: No need we only use them for internal stuff, there's firewalls
:v: What about someone located in head office
:butt: Yes they could do it, but I'm not worried
:v: We should be, disgruntled employees are a thing
:butt: Nah, it's not important
:v: Ok cool, also do you want me to look at that restore ticket where last week someone deleted a load of poo poo and then resigned with no notice
:butt: Yes please

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Narrator: the firewall had a day 0

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Half-hour Teams meeting with 230+ people

Some leader is leaving the division

SO PROUD OF THIS TEAM
SUCH A WILD RIDE

followed by 500 chat messages from people

CONGRATULATIONS DAVE
WHAT A GREAT BOSS

wank wank wank

115 hours of people's time making 100-200k

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Bob Morales posted:

Half-hour Teams meeting with 230+ people

Some leader is leaving the division

SO PROUD OF THIS TEAM
SUCH A WILD RIDE

followed by 500 chat messages from people

CONGRATULATIONS DAVE
WHAT A GREAT BOSS

wank wank wank

115 hours of people's time making 100-200k

A culture of group wanking is important.

That's why we're all so eager to return to the office!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I'm kind of surprised at how many people are in the office (Based on the video chat brady bunch thing)
You can tell their execs by their fancy home offices. some with a water view
Then the people in their living rooms or basements (me)

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

https://youtu.be/VKH9ECC_Qa4

(Probably NSFW, ironically)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not really pissing me off but more of a friendly reminder:

If you're in management and you stick a 1:1 in someone's calendar that they weren't expecting (or honestly even if they were), you need to add a blurb about why you want to talk to that invite. Especially if it's on a Monday and you send it right before the weekend. I'm assertive enough to ping you on slack and ask you, but a lot of people aren't and they will spend their entire weekend obsessing about your future 30 minute conversation that will almost certainly end up being about something of no consequence.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

KillHour posted:

If you're in management and you stick a 1:1 in someone's calendar that they weren't expecting (or honestly even if they were), you need to add a blurb about why you want to talk to that invite. Especially if it's on a Monday and you send it right before the weekend. I'm assertive enough to ping you on slack and ask you, but a lot of people aren't and they will spend their entire weekend obsessing about your future 30 minute conversation that will almost certainly end up being about something of no consequence.
a great lesson in not giving a poo poo, no matter what gets thrown on your cal and by whom

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

a great lesson in not giving a poo poo, no matter what gets thrown on your cal and by whom

Most people are one bad meeting away from destitution so I'm gonna disagree here.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
As a follow up, a surprise 4pm meeting on a Friday will generally get a number of people very nervous.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

one time, shortly after my wife and i decided to have a baby, my boss' boss emailed me asking to meet with him first thing the next morning. i thought for sure i was going to be laid off and spent the night laying awake in a cold sweat wondering what i would do as a suddenly unemployed expecting parent. turned out he had a question about his email

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

KillHour posted:

Had that happen to a friend at work last month - turns out they were firing him :(

Basically, employees in IT were being forced to repay 18 months worth of mileage reimbursements because our management got the policy wrong and we received reimbursements that we shouldn’t have (these were approved by management and Finance before being paid out). Having written proof of management threatening disciplinary action if we didn’t submit the reimbursements was ignored.

Management decided that rather than taking the hit to our budget (~$10,000 for the entire department), the employees would be the ones to pay it back. Probably not the best of ideas during the great resignation but management isn’t going to let things like reality stop them.

My buddy agrees that this is bullshit and basically tells them that this is wrong, possibly illegal, etc. and someone up high enough didn’t like it and they walked him out. His immediate boss wouldn’t fire him and quit in protest, so the CTO had to fire him instead.

They were already down to 3 people in their department and then it was 2. These positions are difficult to fill in the best of times, due to the intensive background check (they usually take about 90 days to complete and includes FBI fingerprinting), so it’s going to be months before they’re able to get any real help.

All said and done, we lost 5 people across IT to this so far, but management has yet to acknowledge any share of the blame.

Management is also confused why morale is non existent and people openly not giving a poo poo about work. :iiam:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Your friend should have lawyered up

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
He did consult one and was told he had a good case, but he got a better paying job a week later and didn’t feel it was worth pursuing. I’m still surprised it hasn’t shown up in one of the local papers (yet), given it was a government organization.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Since these threads are usually quite heavy on the venting, I have a good story. We resell quite a lot of Logitech meeting hardware for MS Teams, stuff like the Rally, Tap, etc. One of the Teams Room on Windows devices we shipped out had a defective PC (it's an Intel NUC with the Windows IoT build on it), I emailed Logitech support and within an hour of swapping some address and serial number details, they were arranging a replacement.

We've been really happy with the Logitech hardware and it's good to know the support is there.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo that's pissing me off: explaining for the third time in 13 months to upper management why laptop and docking prices have gone up since 2018. :sigh:

It doesn't help we order stuff piecemeal and with different suppliers, so we have no leverage. I made sure to include that point.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It wouldn't really matter at this point, no supplier is silly enough to negotiate on docking station prices

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

It wouldn't really matter at this point, no supplier is silly enough to negotiate on docking station prices

Buy on eBay!

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Your choices at this point are really to buy whatever is in stock (and if it is in stock there's probably a reason) at a premium price if you need it now, or wait 6 to 9 months for what you really want to become available and still pay a premium price.

Asking for a discount of any kind is likely to be met with hysterical laughter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can improvise as well, I have been testing a StarTech CDP2DPUCP which lets you connect your original USB-C laptop charger and a DisplayPort cable to so you only use one port, and it supports MST. Pair that up with Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and that's enough of a dock for a home worker.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Maigius posted:

We have some new technology at work, Git and Maven. I keep screwing up using Git. I'm also running into a lack of documentation. I'm also back at work and I have a new chair. It's killing my back.

I deleted all my work with Git, again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also: https://ohshitgit.com/