Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I haven’t bought from KEH in years, but always had good experiences.

MPB was a nightmare last time I dealt with them. Sent me a broken lens described as excellent condition, didn’t respond to emails and I couldn’t get ahold of them by phone. Finally got a response after five days and when I sent it back it took a full two weeks after they received it to process a refund. Maybe it was just a bad month, but I’m done with them after seeing similar experiences reported online.

And I’ve had really good experiences with Roberts Camera (UsedPhotoPro) in Indianapolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
B&H and Adorama do used stuff too, and you can get ex rentals from Lensrentals with the pro/con being they've been heavily used but Lensrentals has serious optical testing gear so you know you're getting a copy that's in spec (if they say it is anyway.)

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Mpb still doesn't charge sales tax for my state. When I'm bidding on eBay that goes into my mental math.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

You might want to look to see if mirrorless can work for your budget. The theoretical problem is that mirrored cameras are probably a dead-end at this point, so while a D3300 with a good lens will be a good camera, you're also putting your future self into a box if you ever want to do more with cameras. There are adapters to use older lenses with mirrorless cameras, but I don't think Nikon's adapter has great lens coverage.

It may not matter with where you are, and maybe you can get a D3300 and lens for cheap enough that it doesn't matter, but maybe worth considering.

Going back to this, do you have recommendations for used bodies I should be looking for? Ideally my budget is around ~$500 for the body + 1 lens (the nikons i was looking at are typically ~$500 for body + 2 lens that came from kits). I'm trying to research mirrorless now but everything is like $1000 minimum to get started

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

pumped up for school posted:

Mpb still doesn't charge sales tax for my state. When I'm bidding on eBay that goes into my mental math.

they're super slow on trade-ins tho. My return (that I had to trade in because I bought for xmas and it didn't work with his camera) is still waiting for grading.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

creatine posted:

Going back to this, do you have recommendations for used bodies I should be looking for? Ideally my budget is around ~$500 for the body + 1 lens (the nikons i was looking at are typically ~$500 for body + 2 lens that came from kits). I'm trying to research mirrorless now but everything is like $1000 minimum to get started

As an example of "very good deal" a goon sold his X-T2 with 18-55 kit on SA mart for $400. In good shape the lens will go for near that. I've seen similar stray deals on FB marketplace ($500 with kit and extra battery).

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I had good experiences with KEH years ago, fedex on the other hand was awful.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

creatine posted:

I'll defer to people that know stuff better, but yeah it might be too much. The stuff I'm looking at is waaay over your budget :jeb:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

creatine posted:

The 'best' mirrorless starter kits are around ~$1000 yeah, but you can absolutely get really highly performing cameras for much cheaper than that. There's been several really good generations of APS-C cameras that are nearing almost a decade old at this point.

Maybe something like a Sony A6000 might do the trick. It got a pretty glowing review back in 2014 from DPreview, and you can also pick up the kit lens for it for like nothing.

Something else to think about there though is, do you really need interchangeable lenses? A risk with buying cameras in this price range is you might end up buying into a system that's either discontinued or nearing end-of-life (there's a lot of talk that Sony is possibly going to discontinue its APS-C line of cameras, for instance). Which isn't really great as a value proposition since anything you buy from then on is just going to depreciate, hard, and there's not going to be any new bodies to buy to continue using with your glass.

Unless you have a reason you absolutely have to have interchangeable lenses, then honestly for your use case something like a compact point and shoot might be way better. At your budget you're still getting most, if not all the same features as you would in a much more current mirrorless camera, just minus the ability to change out lenses. Plus, these are much more towards the consumer realm of things so you're more likely to be able to be able to nab them on sale from like Best Buy/etc.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Thanks for the info on keh/mpb

…I see someone thinking about a point and shoot. Don’t. Years ago I had an a6000 with the f/4 Zeiss zoom. Good setup for the size/weight, about as good as image quality as you can get with a lightweight zoom. Not always great at the long end, but workable.

I bought a canon g7x ii later(I think that’s the exact model??) thinking it would be just as good based on reviews and online samples. I did my own one to one comparison and was disappointed. Those smaller sensors and compact optics just aren’t the same.

Anyway that’s why I’m back here asking about retailers, because it’s time to get back to basics and buy a loving heavy prime and 35mm sensor. Should have never sold my d800e and the zeiss 21mm.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I love my Fujifilm kit to pieces, but I still often miss my Nikon D800. drat that made some nice files despite being 10 years old. And the Sigma macro lenses for full frame are so much better than any of the Fuji offerings

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Also used Nikon equipment seems to have held up their value really well for the last years! I’d have to pay the same as I sold it for two years ago to acquire the same kit again here in my local marketplace

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

How patient should I be about the Fuji X-T3 18-55mm kit being on backorder? I was considering grabbing one when they come back on Adorama, or I can get one sooner on eBay from a smaller shop, but it's eBay...

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I've been asked to do more half body portraits and hauling my LED lighting around is becoming tiresome, so I'm looking at picking up a few flashes. Is the V860II still the preferred option? I could swear someone mentioned a different flash in either this thread or one of the other gear threads, but I have no idea what to search for.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have that flash with the remote trigger and I love it.

Anyone have a shutter remote trigger they like? I’m shootings Nikon if it matters. Not looking for anything expensive as I’m just dicking around with front yard bird photography.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 26, 2022

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
It looks like the point and shoot thread is largely dead so I'm keen to find a solid point and shoot camera to take with us to replace a phone camera. The last time I was seriously into photography was over ten years ago using a Canon 20D but now with kids it's way too much to drag all the gear around, I just want something small I can keep in a pocket and still get solid shots.

The Sony Rx100 seems very solid but it's also more than I'd ideally like to pay (looking at second hand models, so probably not aiming to spend more than about $300usd). What are the best cheaper alternatives right now?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Is there any budget friendly low profile tripod that can get as low profile like this does?

added difficulty: I'm in Canada

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
FYI to Fuji folk: The Fuji USA store has added some refurbished products. I saw this posted on Fujirumors so I assume they don’t always have this kind of selection, though I have never looked before.

https://fujifilm-x.registria.com/products_search/?se=refurb&utm_campaign=topsecret&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Edit: Turns out refurbished gear cannot be returned and doesn’t come with caps or hood. Probably not worth it after all.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 27, 2022

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Brrrmph posted:

FYI to Fuji folk: The Fuji USA store has added some refurbished products. I saw this posted on Fujirumors so I assume they don’t always have this kind of selection, though I have never looked before.

https://fujifilm-x.registria.com/products_search/?se=refurb&utm_campaign=topsecret&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Edit: Turns out refurbished gear cannot be returned and doesn’t come with caps or hood. Probably not worth it after all.

A factory refurbished 23mm f2 WR for $260 is a really good deal tho.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’m looking at a bunch of the modern big zoom lenses (like the Nikon 18-300 and Canon’s 24-250) and everyone seems to rave about how good they are. But they’re all like f5 max at 50mm which, even with 4-5 stops of VR, feels squishy?

I’m sure I’m missing something, but what? Is pumping the ISO way up above 800 or whatever really not a big deal these days?

I guess another answer is to stick a 50mm or whatever prime in your pocket just in case, since they cost peanuts?

Edit: this is for travel photos and such, not talking about high end hoity-toity stuff

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 1, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You’ve found the sacrifice that has to be made when using those super-zooms - the aperture is rear end. Depending on the sensor, yeah, ISO 800 is nothing, but still. Not ideal except in sunshine.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

yeah like, fuji has great iso performance for aps-c sensors (the x-trans 4 sensor can shoot capably at 12800 iso) and that's available in the x-e4 and the x-t30 which are around $850-900, and for $1k the x-s10 has IBIS which will benefit every prime you have that doesn't have stabilization

sorry to come off like a fuji salesperson but i'm just astounded at all the options there are at the $1-2k range now. i've been loading up my brand new x-t4 with a trio of sigma primes after selling my old canon stuff and i'm loving it

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have known multiple people who have used Fuji aps-c cameras and they have moved on. I bought a Sony A7II and later Panasonic S1. One friend upgraded from XT3 to Canon R6 etc. Our group of friends does event photography and full frame seems to be the best tool for the job. You also get lots of more bokeh and Sigma ART lenses aren't that expensive.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

yeah for sure, especially with iso, full frame can't be beat. i'm perfectly happy with my setup and what it's capable of though, especially at this price point. different tools for different use cases.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

dupersaurus posted:

I’m looking at a bunch of the modern big zoom lenses (like the Nikon 18-300 and Canon’s 24-250) and everyone seems to rave about how good they are. But they’re all like f5 max at 50mm which, even with 4-5 stops of VR, feels squishy?

I’m sure I’m missing something, but what? Is pumping the ISO way up above 800 or whatever really not a big deal these days?

I guess another answer is to stick a 50mm or whatever prime in your pocket just in case, since they cost peanuts?

Edit: this is for travel photos and such, not talking about high end hoity-toity stuff

Competitively yes. The size, weight and cost of them is pretty amazing for what they are, they weren't even possible a couple of decades ago. But its give and take, you lose sharpness and light for such a jack of all trades lens.
Personally Id rather take a good 17-50 f2 and companion it with a 70-300 f4-f5.6 for travelling. And when I'm near home I often end up sticking to primes for that extra sharpness that they offer.

Every lens has a trade off.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Every lens has a trade off.

I insist that everything be perfect and cheap

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Grimson posted:

I've been asked to do more half body portraits and hauling my LED lighting around is becoming tiresome, so I'm looking at picking up a few flashes. Is the V860II still the preferred option? I could swear someone mentioned a different flash in either this thread or one of the other gear threads, but I have no idea what to search for.

What lens do you like for half body?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

dupersaurus posted:

As well as much better ISO than film or early digital, the autofocus of mirrorless works beyond f/5.6, so that's also opened up an avenue for other lenses such as Canon's 800mm f/11.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

hope and vaseline posted:

yeah like, fuji has great iso performance for aps-c sensors (the x-trans 4 sensor can shoot capably at 12800 iso) and that's available in the x-e4 and the x-t30 which are around $850-900, and for $1k the x-s10 has IBIS which will benefit every prime you have that doesn't have stabilization

sorry to come off like a fuji salesperson but i'm just astounded at all the options there are at the $1-2k range now. i've been loading up my brand new x-t4 with a trio of sigma primes after selling my old canon stuff and i'm loving it

Fuji X-T30 with one of the F2 primes is the best camera ever for bringing a camera to an event when you don’t feel like carrying a camera.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

is it the Fuji f2 primes that really shine? because I own the 27 and 16 mm f2.8s and find them uninspiring on the xpro 1 i have started to take places as a “lets see what catches my eye” camera

i rented the 56mm f1.2 a few weeks ago and was struck by how well it worked in the dark on a body a decade old - but also how terribly off balance it felt.

the 18mm f2 seems reasonably cheap… and optically about the same as the ricoh gr iii? which is fun to think about

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

What lens do you like for half body?

I'm a sports photographer so all I got are telezooms, wide angles and a nifty fifty. So I'm using the 50mm as it's the closest I got to a somewhat "normal" lens.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 3, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a canon eos r and shoot almost exclusively with a sigma 135mm art f1.8

this poo poo rules. it takes some nice shots. whenever I switch to another lens though, I quickly switch back, because this 135 is just so glorious

the autofocus is... extremely good. loving incredible actually. I think it's bullshit they couldn't backport animal eye detection to the R but whatever, humans are where its at anyway

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wolfs posted:

is it the Fuji f2 primes that really shine? because I own the 27 and 16 mm f2.8s and find them uninspiring on the xpro 1 i have started to take places as a “lets see what catches my eye” camera

It’s specifically the 23/2, 35/2, 50/2 and 16/2.8. They “shine” in as far as being reasonably priced, fairly fast, and with very quick autofocus. I have the 35 and 16 and enjoy shooting with both, should try to pick up the 23 soon.

I also have a second-gen sensor camera (X-T20) so that may help? I know the autofocus on that wasn’t the strong suit there.

The pancake 18 was one of the first lenses released with the X system, so it is similar to the 35/1.4 in that it’s supposed to be good but “interesting,” and unlike the 35, it isn’t to everyone’s taste. Wouldn’t say no if I found one cheap though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses for my t7i, and I'm looking for a new lens. I've been thinking about the 50mm or maybe that fixed 24 or 40mm and I am not sure what to get.

Technically, my current lenses already cover that range, so I'm not sure if it's worth expanding my lenses. I'm tempted to get one for photographing miniatures, but also be able to do landscapes and maybe portrait, or street shots.

I'm quite a noob so just looking to get opinions

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses for my t7i, and I'm looking for a new lens. I've been thinking about the 50mm or maybe that fixed 24 or 40mm and I am not sure what to get.

Technically, my current lenses already cover that range, so I'm not sure if it's worth expanding my lenses. I'm tempted to get one for photographing miniatures, but also be able to do landscapes and maybe portrait, or street shots.

I'm quite a noob so just looking to get opinions

Couple of paths. Sell both lenses and buy a 24-70L. If you want a fast prime look in the 30mm range. 50 is going to be too tight on a crop body, 24 is going to be too wide. I absolutely love the Sigma 30 Art lens. For macro and miniatures, get extension tubes for your 55-250 to allow you to use 250mm with a focal distance of mere inches. They make them in autofocus variety as well.

I have always bought used gear since I started 10 years ago. If any of these options stretch your budget without breaking it, check e-bay.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I don't know canon so I cant recommended specific lenses but for general advice.
For miniatures go get a macro lens.

t7i is a crop body right? Personally found 85mm on my Nikon crop body is a really nice focal length, allows me to be a little bit further away so I can position lights easier but really any focal length can work for macro. And it can double up as a normal lens to.
As for the other uses, for street then the gold standard is 35mm. For portraits its 85mm . For Landscapes its 24mm (thats ff focal lengths, you will need different for crop, ie closest to 35mm equivalent on canon crop body is a 24mm lens )

These are by no means the only focal lengths people use, but its often the 'go-to' for those categories, and people do disagree. Many prefer 50mm for street for example.

But as you can see getting a single prime that can do all this is hard, its why zoom lenses are so popular and given out as kit lenses. So id suggest choosing a lens that can do the most for the use cases you are most likely to do. But once you get a taste for that prime sharpness it can become addictive.

The above suggestion of a 30mm is probably a good one, that would be decent for street and fine for portraits to. Probably just be frustrating to use for landscapes though.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 4, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That L lens is like double what I paid for the entire body and two lenses 😭

Yeah, it's a crop sensor

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
I have a Sony a7Riii with a Sigma 150-600mm that I want to take around when hiking or when I bike around my hometown. What bag would you guys recommend for this?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Ok, I did the thing that you aren't supposed to do for a new hobby, I splurged on (used) gear that's much better than my skill level. This seemed like a good deal, but was it?

A7iii
Sony 28mm F2
Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art
Sigma MC-11 mount converter
Ravpower Dual charger + 2 batteries
Wireless remote shutter
Strap, charger, caps, etc.

for $2100.

I did a lot of research and the a7iii seemed to have no major compromises unlike every single cheaper camera I looked at. Full frame, great stills, good video, good AF, IBIS, weather sealed, good looks. Plus those lenses retail for like $1400 by themselves. It seemed like a steal to me. I mostly just do family and vacation/hiking photos, is a zoom lens the next thing I should save up for? Is there a go-to recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For vacations/hiking I'm thinking do you really need/want the size/cost of a 35mm sensor + lenses...but anyway, I personally really like a telephoto zoom that's not too large (i.e. not a birding lens) for the hiking side of things. It really expands what sort of landscape photos you can take. I'm talking something like a 70-300, though a 100-400 or 70-200 f4 could also work if you can afford it (I might sometimes want more reach than the 200, but you can always crop). 3rd party lenses could probably save you a decent amount here as well. The other thing to consider is if you want something wider than the 28mm. "Ultra wide" is certainly a look that some people want for their hiking/landscape/travel photos (and in some cases when you can't back up can actually allow you to capture the full scene when you otherwise couldn't). Something like a 16-35 or 12-24 (16 is already very wide though). You could also go with a prime that covers the wider angle side of those zooms (e.g. I believe Sony has a 14mm), though I wouldn't go narrower than 18mm if you want that ultra-wide look. You've got the "standard zoom" covered pretty well with the 28 and 50, so I don't see the need to add anything there.