Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Here's a more granular question, Who is your favorite character from any war movie or tv show

Admiral Thomas "Tug" Benson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

zoux posted:

Here's a more granular question, Who is your favorite character from any war movie or tv show

Does Johnny Sins count?

Just realized he's an E-4. Respect.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

zoux posted:

Struggling here, but someone from MASH.

Only because I haven’t watched whatever KAF Role 3 show was out there

i lived that, I don’t need to see it again

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

ASAPI posted:

I've been seeing lots of people talking about a May 9th "end of the war". I am also seeing a large "push" to post things that imply that the US would be incapable of engaging in a conflict due to supply chain issues/Millennials/we are weak/woke something or another.

I assume the two "discussions" are an attempt to lay the groundwork for a Russian withdrawal. I bet that Putin and company have received a report detailing just how bad a shape the "reserves" are in.

We have 3-6 months of surge capacity and then things get really tight, assuming the ROS vessels don't fall apart on light-off.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

JK Simmons character from Burn After Reading

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

zoux posted:

Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really like the impossibly salty gunnery sgt who throws a handful of brass at a lt for flagging the range in The Pacific

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Lance Corporal Jack Jones

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I love you fruity Rudy!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zoux posted:

Either Rufus T. Firefly or Joshua Chamberlain.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Hawkeye :v:

(From MASH, not the dumb modern superhero bullshit in case anyone got confused)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Sarge from "A Man Called Sarge'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it troublesome to like Sheen as Lee, Berringer as Longstreet, and Lang as Pickett?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

cruft posted:

Admiral Thomas "Tug" Benson

zoux posted:

I really like the impossibly salty gunnery sgt who throws a handful of brass at a lt for flagging the range in The Pacific

Yeah also that guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu51rszgotI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmo_M._Haney

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 4, 2022

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

zoux posted:

Hugo Stiglitz

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Look let’s just say everyone from ingorious bastards otherwise it’s like trying to pick which child you love the most.

poo poo, you're right.

When I saw Inglorious Basterds opening night in Mass, the crowd went absolutely apeshit over the "Teddy fuckin' Williams knocks it out of the paaark!" bit

Non-Inglorious Basterds answer,
Pvt. Hudson

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Pvt. Hudson

Apone, man. He not only sold really it well that he was a marine (he was; he’s the last to get a battlefield promotion to sergeant), he made it to where all of them seemed like marines. Even Gorman :v:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

Lance Corporal Jack Jones

I'll see that and raise you one LCPL Stitch Jones.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Apone, man. He not only sold really it well that he was a marine (he was; he’s the last to get a battlefield promotion to sergeant), he made it to where all of them seemed like marines. Even Gorman :v:

I mean, there is not a marine in that movie that I don't love on some level. Even Gorman. lol.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

zoux posted:

Private Zim

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Oddball.

:woof::woof:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

zoux posted:

Malachi Constant

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Joshua Chamberlain.

Motherfucker was shot through the dick in the summer of 1864, finished out the war, then died of his wound.

In 1914.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Interesting article from a Russian leftist about the war and talking about the extreme class and demographic disparity in Russian military deaths, plus some other commentary about the political role the war played within Russia.

https://novaramedia.com/2022/05/03/how-putin-bribed-russias-peasant-army-into-a-war-they-dont-want/

quote:

From the 12 million-strong Moscow, there have been only three deaths reported on the channel; from Kyakhta, a town on the Mongolian border with 20,000 inhabitants, at least seven.

Their source has about 2k confirmed funerals reported, so that's basically the lowest possible floor for Russian losses, goddamn. For reference Iraq war deaths among US military troops were about 800 a year during the most intense years of fighting, and like the US military reporting during the Iraq war, no way in hell Russia counts deaths among mercenaries and auxiliaries who are probably doing the most dangerous fighting with the worst equipment and causality collection system.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 4, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Interesting article from a Russian leftist about the war and talking about the extreme class and demographic disparity in Russian military deaths, plus some other commentary about the political role the war played within Russia.

https://novaramedia.com/2022/05/03/how-putin-bribed-russias-peasant-army-into-a-war-they-dont-want/

Their source has about 2k confirmed funerals reported, so that's basically the lowest possible floor for Russian losses, goddamn. For reference Iraq war deaths among US military troops were about 800 a year during the most intense years of fighting, and like the US military reporting during the Iraq war, no way in hell Russia counts deaths among mercenaries and auxiliaries who are probably doing the most dangerous fighting with the worst equipment and causality collection system.

Kamil Galeev went in-depth on this the other day if you'd like more detail, although warning there's some extremely gory Wagner propaganda about halfway through the thread.

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1521147854949036032

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 4, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hugo Stiglitz

poo poo, you're right.

When I saw Inglorious Basterds opening night in Mass, the crowd went absolutely apeshit over the "Teddy fuckin' Williams knocks it out of the paaark!" bit

Pvt. Hudson

That is awesome and possibly the only time I will be happy about Boston sports fans. It was such a great movie and if you’re Jewish it’s even better, but watching Nazis each poo poo 24 seven is enjoyable to all of course.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Wibla posted:

Hawkeye :v:

(From MASH, not the dumb modern superhero bullshit in case anyone got confused)

:confused:

Also a legit answer :v:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dance Officer posted:

I love you fruity Rudy!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That is awesome and possibly the only time I will be happy about Boston sports fans. It was such a great movie and if you’re Jewish it’s even better, but watching Nazis each poo poo 24 seven is enjoyable to all of course.

The fact that they had Nazi Chris Kyle (I mean, the officially Nazi one) as a character in it before Chris Kyle was super famous and the movie (in my read) got away with comparing GWOT rhetoric with Nazi propaganda during the years where it was still career suicide to be anything remotely "anti troop."

And it also was just a kickass nazi killing exploitation film.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

McNally posted:

Motherfucker was shot through the dick in the summer of 1864, finished out the war, then died of his wound.

In 1914.

So he was too broke-dick for WWI uh?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh snap, I need to change my answer to Mike Danton from Deadly Prey:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Terrifying Effigies posted:

:confused:

Also a legit answer :v:

His dad was better

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Respect his service

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

GD_American posted:

Respect his service

My favorite Tom Cruise movie and I don’t even have to watch the last 30 minutes or so.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Whoever said Buffalo Soldiers a page or two ago, that's basically E4 Mafia: the movie. Doesn't take an Iron Boar to see why that is both cool and terrible.

Someone not using the android awful app start a movie thread already.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crab Dad posted:

My favorite Tom Cruise movie and I don’t even have to watch the last 30 minutes or so.

Nothing beats his performance in Tropic Thunder.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
He's like the lamest part of tropic thunder :colbert:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nothing beats ... Tropic Thunder.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

So he was too broke-dick for WWI uh?

He was also 85

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

JK Simmons character from Burn After Reading

Yes