Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You will need a dolly/hand truck to lug it around and some serious help lifting it up if need be. Check the condition of the bowl. Given the rust, the bowl may be pretty dinged up and rusty too. It can be fussy to get an old bowl. Mine has kind of molded to my mixer and I found a comparable one didn't end up fitting.

For your own benefit, you should try to run it upwards of ten minutes to see what the grease does when it is warm. If it is oozing all out, you are probably going to have to repack it and replace some gaskets. Unless you have some specialty gear for literally sucking out grease, then this will basically turn into a transmission rebuild.

Despite all this, you would have a mixer that at worst is amused when you run a pile of dough through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh there's been a misunderstanding. I don't plan to get it. I just thought it was interesting to share.

My Kenwood and Electrolux are more than enough for my needs.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I just killed my sourdough starter by accidentally feeding it powdered sugar instead of flour. I'm not in a good mood.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I just killed my sourdough starter by accidentally feeding it powdered sugar instead of flour. I'm not in a good mood.

if it makes you feel any better, we killed our year+ old starter this past winter by placing it into what we didn't know was an especially cold spot in the fridge. Opened it to feed it and it was half frosted and covered in gray mold.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

neogeo0823 posted:

if it makes you feel any better, we killed our year+ old starter this past winter by placing it into what we didn't know was an especially cold spot in the fridge. Opened it to feed it and it was half frosted and covered in gray mold.

I took a look at it this morning and I've decided to see if I can perform some necromancy and make it useable again. It's growing fine doesn't smell or look off color. Since it's just concentrated sugar I fed it I figure it's going through the yeast equivalent of puberty. I've given it a couple of flour feeding which it has just eaten up and I'm going to try to make something this weekend with it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Oh there's been a misunderstanding. I don't plan to get it. I just thought it was interesting to share.

My Kenwood and Electrolux are more than enough for my needs.

You probably posted that while straddling across the top of it like it was a pony.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I took a look at it this morning and I've decided to see if I can perform some necromancy and make it useable again. It's growing fine doesn't smell or look off color. Since it's just concentrated sugar I fed it I figure it's going through the yeast equivalent of puberty. I've given it a couple of flour feeding which it has just eaten up and I'm going to try to make something this weekend with it.

If you hadn't saved it I was going to suggest using it as cinnamon roll dough base and then taking a bit off to save as a starter. Good luck!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of starters, I’ve had one going for about 3 years now. I’m moving 8 hours away next month.

Should I just let this die and start fresh or feed it the day before I move and bring it with me?

Seems kinda obvious typing it out, but it’s one more thing to pack up on the drive…

effika
Jun 19, 2005

nwin posted:

Speaking of starters, I’ve had one going for about 3 years now. I’m moving 8 hours away next month.

Should I just let this die and start fresh or feed it the day before I move and bring it with me?

Seems kinda obvious typing it out, but it’s one more thing to pack up on the drive…

Why not keep it going? It'll be fine in the passenger cabin out of the light. Just toss it in the fridge when you arrive.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah, if you fed it at some really high ratio the morning of it should maybe be fine? Or dry it out and reconstitute it when you’re there. Don’t let it die!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
An 8 hour drive doesn't sound too much of an ordeal for a starter. Easier than getting a new one going.
I believe that for real long term storage, you dry it out by spreading it thinly on a baking tray, then putting the powder in a ziplock bag. You can rehydrate it at some indefinite point in the future. Tough I've never done that and you should probably get confirmation from other sources that's how it's done.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I will routinely just not feed my starter for a week or two while it’s on the counter and then within a day or two it’s back to normal. Over the winter I left the country for a month and it baked a perfect loaf a week later.

8 hours is fine

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Time posted:

I will routinely just not feed my starter for a week or two while it’s on the counter and then within a day or two it’s back to normal. Over the winter I left the country for a month and it baked a perfect loaf a week later.

8 hours is fine

You can just put it in the fridge and save that lead-time, I got mine out this morning, fed it and will mix bread dough this evening

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

It's dead, Jim. Must have just been the yeast equivalent of a terminal lucidity.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

BizarroAzrael posted:

You can just put it in the fridge and save that lead-time, I got mine out this morning, fed it and will mix bread dough this evening

ime the lead time is exactly the same - I could bake same day usually but I get a better spring and taste by giving a couple feedings, which is also the case when I pull it from the fridge

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Got a double ear with some great blistering today

Dacap fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 2, 2022

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Maybe this is old news but I ran across this recipe dedicated to rye bread and it is pretty neat! Lots of really cool breads.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I have been gifted a sourdough starter from my in-laws. Supposedly, this starter has a family tree going back to the mid 90s or maybe earlier. I was given a container, and instructions on how/what to feed it, and a basic bread recipe. I have little-to-no experience with breadmaking. My few attempts in the past with dried yeast have been spectacular failures.

I have to say (compared to dried yeast experience I've had) this sourdough is potently active, and I have no problem mixing up a dough that will rise, rise, and rise. Problem I am having is with texture, flavor, crust--basically everything important. The recipe I got is supposedly for making a couple loaves of sandwich bread essentially, and I'm suspecting there's just something wrong with it. Any ideas, tips, tricks, or recommended starting recipes for experimenting with sourdough?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What are you doing now, is a good starting point for trouble shooting, and some specifics of your current problems. Does it taste too sour, or just bland?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Absolutely bland is the biggest problem, I think. And after baking, the crust is a little ghostly and never gets a good "golden" look to it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I thing you might be missing is a pinch of salt, it works wonders.
The crust sounds like an oven temperature thing. Before i got my dutch oven i swore by 20 minutes at 220 Celsius, then stepping it down to 200 for another 20 minutes, then a final 20 at 180. I don't know where i picked it up from but i was happy with the results.
If you're not happy with the crumb, that sounds like a kneading thing. With sourdough for its long initial rise, you visit it occasionally (like every hour or two) to stretch and fold the dough.

e: i use 6 grams of salt for 420 grams of flour but tastes differ. I can't think of another quick fix for bland bread.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 4, 2022

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Ok, so this recipe calls for 6 cups of flour, so something around 750 grams give or take density, and calls for one teaspoon of salt (which should be little over 1.5 grams give or take). So salt may be very under-represented.

For temperature, it says put in loaf pans and bake at 350 degF (~177 degC) for 20 minutes. I'm not really interested in making "sandwich" loaves, so I've tried it both in bread pans and on just a sheet pan. Either way it cooks all through and never browns. I'm thinking this temperature is too low.

Edit: And looking around, the dutch oven looks like a promising idea and probably my next experiment.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i've read that you want ~2% baker's percentage salt for yeast loaves so yeah that's way underseasoned

i get pretty good browning on my loaves at about 450 F so you definitely want to up the temperature, but consider using a dutch oven or at least a big metal bowl on top of the back of a sheet pan for the first fifteen minutes of baking. this holds steam around the loaf so the crust doesn't form and dry out before the bread's finished rising. you can avoid a dense crumb and a split crust that way

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not any kind of bread pro but I don't think I've ever baked at under 450 degrees.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm a really big fan of mine, and im using the base for all sorts of bread products. It's my pizza stone when i need one.
But i hesitate to say you should get one when you're just starting out as it's an investment and you can make good bread without the expense.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

redreader posted:

I'm not any kind of bread pro but I don't think I've ever baked at under 450 degrees.

My go-to recipe calls for cooking in a Dutch oven in a 500F oven for 15 minutes, followed by 15 minutes at 450, then a few minutes outside of the Dutch oven to develop some color. I was actually going to say that I'd never baked any bread at 350°!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

null_pointer posted:

My go-to recipe calls for cooking in a Dutch oven in a 500F oven for 15 minutes, followed by 15 minutes at 450, then a few minutes outside of the Dutch oven to develop some color. I was actually going to say that I'd never baked any bread at 350°!

It’s interesting to see everyone’s methods. For my normal recipe I do 35 mins in the Dutch oven at 500, then I take it out and do 20 mins on the oven rack at 450 with convection on to finish.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Some goon told me for a Dutch oven you put it into a cold oven that's aiming to 240 Celsius for 55 minutes and they were right.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Some goon told me for a Dutch oven you put it into a cold oven that's aiming to 240 Celsius for 55 minutes and they were right.

I’ve tried both. I found I didn’t get the crust I wanted, even in the pot with the lid off always had me finding the crust of the bottom third of the loaf too soft.

My best results are when I spritz the whole loaf with water after I’ve taken it out of the Dutch oven, doing the second bake on the oven rack at 450/convection, and I found the water adds a lot of shine to the crust.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I make foccacia and it's great. I love it. it's loving amazing. (I use the recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast).

I use the same dough in a cast-iron pan for pizza and it's all tough and weird. What the gently caress!

I am sort of wondering if maybe 'literally anything else' might be better for pizza. A sheet pan maybe. A colleague said that she makes pizza on sheet pans and it comes out great. The dough is like, same-day dough. But yeah, my foccacia has such a great texture, and my pizza just does NOT.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Share your pizza process and recipe. We can try troubleshooting.

I bet it's the handling that's causing more problems than the pan.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

effika posted:

Share your pizza process and recipe. We can try troubleshooting.

I bet it's the handling that's causing more problems than the pan.

it's literally the meat pie recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast. I can take a pic and share it here (illegal? IDK?) if you don't have that book. I use a cast iron pan and the lower amount of dough. Off the top of my head he says something like, 200g for a thin crust and 350 for a thicker crust, I use like 200-250g or whatever the lower end of what he says, is. I handle, prepare, etc my dough exactly like he says (except I use a stand mixer for 1 minute to mix instead of hand mixing). I fold it about 2-3 times within the first hour.

The dough I use is 'pizza dough with poolish', and I use all purpose flour from target. I don't use 00 flour, I haven't seen it sold anywhere nearby.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

redreader posted:

it's literally the meat pie recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast. I can take a pic and share it here (illegal? IDK?) if you don't have that book. I use a cast iron pan and the lower amount of dough. Off the top of my head he says something like, 200g for a thin crust and 350 for a thicker crust, I use like 200-250g or whatever the lower end of what he says, is. I handle, prepare, etc my dough exactly like he says (except I use a stand mixer for 1 minute to mix instead of hand mixing). I fold it about 2-3 times within the first hour.

The dough I use is 'pizza dough with poolish', and I use all purpose flour from target. I don't use 00 flour, I haven't seen it sold anywhere nearby.

It's the stand mixer, I bet. 250g of dough is easy to overknead. Try varying how long you use the stand mixer, or try it by hand, or try not doing an initial knead at all and just do stretch & folds as it rises. I get my best pizza crust by not kneading it all-- I do an 80% hydration dough and once the dough is mixed enough to stick to itself more than the spoon I cover it then leave it for 4-6 hours (depending on how warm it is).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah using the stand mixer is not a minor "i did everything the same but.." point that's a significant changeup. His dough should be pretty easy to mix without a mixer.

How are you using the cast iron as well? Are you pre-heating it so it gets super hot in the oven, and then loading the pizza onto it, or are you building it in a room temp cast iron then tossing it in the oven? IIRC his FWSY dough is more made for the former rather than the latter (as I believe it's designed to be loaded onto a preheated stone or steel), so if you're doing the latter that could be another source of the issue. Forkish also has a later book that is 100% devoted to making pizzas in home ovens (Elements of Pizza) that builds/improves a lot on what he had in the pizza section of FWSY.

There's also a pizza thread for more help.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks. I don't preheat the cast iron although I've considered it. I actually was thinking that it was the cast iron itself that did this, but like, he did put the recipe in a book that is successful, so I figured maybe I am the one who is wrong.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

redreader posted:

Thanks. I don't preheat the cast iron although I've considered it. I actually was thinking that it was the cast iron itself that did this, but like, he did put the recipe in a book that is successful, so I figured maybe I am the one who is wrong.

Pre-heat that cast iron, too! I do 30m on my cast iron pizza pan and it helps a lot with the initial oven spring.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Pioneer42 posted:

Ok, so this recipe calls for 6 cups of flour, so something around 750 grams give or take density, and calls for one teaspoon of salt (which should be little over 1.5 grams give or take). So salt may be very under-represented.

For temperature, it says put in loaf pans and bake at 350 degF (~177 degC) for 20 minutes. I'm not really interested in making "sandwich" loaves, so I've tried it both in bread pans and on just a sheet pan. Either way it cooks all through and never browns. I'm thinking this temperature is too low.

Edit: And looking around, the dutch oven looks like a promising idea and probably my next experiment.

So for this past weekend's experiment: I used a little less flour, added a lot more salt, and baked at 450 °F on a flat sheet...and the result was a massive improvement. The salt remarkably impacted the taste, it was nice and airy instead of dense, and actually got a golden-brown crust with the higher temperature. Now I think I have something workable to work with.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Very happy with this crust.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Splinter posted:

How are you using the cast iron as well? Are you pre-heating it so it gets super hot in the oven, and then loading the pizza onto it, or are you building it in a room temp cast iron then tossing it in the oven? IIRC his FWSY dough is more made for the former rather than the latter (as I believe it's designed to be loaded onto a preheated stone or steel), so if you're doing the latter that could be another source of the issue. Forkish also has a later book that is 100% devoted to making pizzas in home ovens (Elements of Pizza) that builds/improves a lot on what he had in the pizza section of FWSY.

Sorry I just parsed this properly right now:

No he literally has 'do this in the cast iron pan' pizzas and 'preheat the skillet' is not part of the instructions. Since I don't have a stone I don't use the stone recipes. The one I try is the 'skillet meat pie' and it just says to pre-heat the oven, without mentioning the skillet at all.

(I'll take further pizza chat to the pizza chat thread, sorry everyone. I'll also try pre-heating the cast iron pan)

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

redreader posted:

Sorry I just parsed this properly right now:

No he literally has 'do this in the cast iron pan' pizzas and 'preheat the skillet' is not part of the instructions. Since I don't have a stone I don't use the stone recipes. The one I try is the 'skillet meat pie' and it just says to pre-heat the oven, without mentioning the skillet at all.

(I'll take further pizza chat to the pizza chat thread, sorry everyone. I'll also try pre-heating the cast iron pan)

I completely missed those recipes when I went through FWSY. You're correct that they don't entail pre-heating the skillet (which would be very hard to properly load so I wouldn't recommend trying it as a first step). I made some of the pizza recipes from FWSY before getting Elements of Pizza, but not the cast iron ones, so I can't really comment on how they should come out. If the adjustments to your process that were mentioned don't help, I'd maybe just look into other cast iron pizza recipes, as while maybe a steel or stone would be ideal for a home oven, you should still be able to make a decent pizza with cast iron as well.