Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They should do a sonic musou actually

Been sayin this for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They should do a sonic musou actually

No wait yeah that sounds loving incredible.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That seems impossible unless your PC is as old as the GameCube itself.

it kind of is :smith: I’m too poor to buy a new one, esp now that prices have gone insane

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don’t know what this means.

remember when the moon got half blown up by a space cannon? good times.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Twerk from Home posted:

How bad is Lost World anyway? Is it down in the depths with Sonic and the Black Knight?

Lost World is bad, but nowhere close to bottom of the barrel like Black Knight is. It has interesting ideas like the parkour system, but everything is half-baked.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

lost world is a fine game but the largely uninteresting level concepts are the worst direction the series could go in my opinion. imo sonic prides itself on its unique worlds that all stand out on their own from each game in the series, lost world is instead trying to be a mario game and so follows the formula of Grass World, Desert World, Water World, Forest World, Snow World, Lava World, and they just come off as generic and uninspired

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Rosalie_A posted:

I thought the moon WAS the space cannon?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Looper posted:

i remember what exactly stats actually do being kind of unintuitive but not any details

edit: oh yeah what confused me was that attack and defense, the stats, are actually accuracy and evasion

I mean, that's not the most unintuitive RPG stats ever? Considering some famous games have stats that flat out do nothing because of bugs. Yes, it's not a high bar, but still. Attack means your attacks hit better, Defense means enemy attacks hit less, that's literally standard D&D.

Also the thing is about the people saying you just need One Weird Trick to make Sonic games good at missing the point that making a good game relies on a lot of factors including simply having a half-decent idea and iterating on it until you get something good and then accomplishing it well. Story and presentation stuff are minor in comparison, though it does help to actually make some decisions about what you want in that regard.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rosalie_A posted:

this was not intentional, they were just trying to put a 7up logo on the surface

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
gently caress i didnt realize how much tails sounded like a baby in heroes

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Willo567 posted:

Isn't he voiced by a literal child in heroes? Like the voice directors kid?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Isn't he voiced by a literal child in heroes? Like the voice directors kid?

Pretty much (he was also voiced by a kid in the Adventure games and Shuffle as well but that one was far less irritating in my opinion).

The Heroes VA also provided voice clips for Battle and Advance 3 but he wasn’t much better in those either (he’s honestly probably the worst Tails in my opinion aside from maybe the dub actor from the OVA who sounded like he (?) had a head cold the whole time)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 4, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Willo567 posted:

The worst is when you spam jump for flight in flying formation

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Takoluka posted:

this was not intentional, they were just trying to put an Olive Garden logo on the surface

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzDsdB4laI0

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should bring back the old Omochao voice, it’s sounded like June Foray

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

Pretty much (he was also voiced by a kid in the Adventure games and Shuffle as well but that one was far less irritating in my opinion).

The Heroes VA also provided voice clips for Battle and Advance 3 but he wasn’t much better in those either (he’s honestly probably the worst Tails in my opinion aside from maybe the dub actor from the OVA who sounded like he (?) had a head cold the whole time)

He was actually voiced by 2 kids in the Adventure games. The SA voice actor hit puberty so they used his brother for SA2. Fun fact: they wanted to cast an adult to play Tails in SA but Yuji Naka refused to let them since he wanted the voice actors to resemble the characters. Clearly he changed his mind (or was overruled) after Heroes.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The practice of hiring child actors for a voice role and then tossing them aside 2 years later when their voice changes is kind of hosed up and needs to stop imo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

The practice of hiring child actors for a voice role and then tossing them aside 2 years later when their voice changes is kind of hosed up and needs to stop imo.

The problem is that unless you’re going to let the character age in real time boys typically can’t do child voices that well anymore once they hit puberty (hence why more often than not they just tend to use adult female actors instead)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

And then there's Haley Joel Osmont

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Trans men are a good natural resource for voicing child characters imo. Like the new Shinji

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

And then there's Haley Joel Osmont

Sora ages a bit during the course of the KH series but fair point. There’s also cases like Gravity Falls, Ducktales 2017, Amphibia, and The Owl House (probably a few more I’m forgetting too) where child main characters are voiced by adult (or at least teenage) men and it still works well enough

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 4, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there should be a sonic RTS game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

readingatwork posted:

children should never be seen or heard

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ok hear me out. A Myst clone staring Tails where he wanders around an island solving puzzles in exotic pre-rendered environments. Heavy emphasis on environmental storytelling and piecing together the plot via context clues DS style.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

readingatwork posted:

Ok hear me out. A Myst clone staring Tails

[loud booing, people throwing tomatos]

readingatwork posted:

Ok hear me out. A Metroid clone staring Tails

[raucous cheers, money raining from the ceiling]

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ Sold! Where do I send this briefcase full of cash?

A walking simulator that’s just Sonic meandering around his home contemplating life.

A Sam and Max style detective adventure game staring the Chaotix where you are trying to solve a murder.

Oxygen Not Included but you’re Eggman trying to assimilate and take over a planet. You capture and roboticize the local wildlife while growing your base, figuring out what to do with all the pollution, and fending off attacks from that drat hedgehog :argh:

This is surprisingly fun to think about.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Misadventures of Tron Bonne style game starring Eggman

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Banjo Nuts and Bolts but with Tails, Eggman and uh, Wave I guess?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Larryb posted:

Misadventures of Tron Bonne style game starring Eggman

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sonic Hero Shooter where if you play as Bean you see everything from his perspective like the Meet the Pyro video

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

readingatwork posted:

^^^ Sold! Where do I send this briefcase full of cash?

it's on the game gear!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
A Shadow of Destiny clone where you play as Mephiles and have to set up a series of increasingly convoluted time loops to try and kill Sonic the Hedgehog.

A co-op puzzle game where you play as Orbot and Cubot as they clean Eggman's evil lair.

A game where you play as Shadow driving down the freeway at night and grooving to chill beats.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
A modern Road Rash style motorcycling game where shadow the hedgehog races against the Chaotix.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Star Wars Droid Works but Eggman robots

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/isladeperr0s/status/1521874966706327553

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sonic could probably unironically use more spinoffs just to expand things and actually use all those characters they seem to not know what to do with. And I think Sonic Team could really use the practice with different genres.

You really do hear a lot of stories coming down to Yuji Naka making baffling decisions. Not that the rest of Sega seems much better without him.

Pretty much everyone had awful voice acting in Sonic Heroes, Rouge sounded like a middle-aged chainsmoker. The cutscenes were at least individually coherent unlike whatever the gently caress happened with Adventure, though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sonic only seems backwards looking lately because the series pretty much only becomes active during anniversary years, which are inherently going to be retrospective. Between the 20th and 25th anniversary games you had two games and the 25th had two games dedicated to it. So in the past decade that’s five games, over half of which are focused on the past.

And if you look at Lost World, nothing about it demands Deep Sonic Knowledge. The villains are Robotnik and wholly new characters. Sonic Boom is…bad, but it’s basically the (attempted) kick off for an alternate (failed) canon.

And we’re now in the 30th anniversary, so of course you have nostalgic stuff like remakes of the old games. At the very least, it seems like Frontier is going to be its own thing and not another dive into history where we revisit Green Hill for the 50th time. If we had like, one extra game between 2017 and now, then it likely wouldn’t have seemed that bad. But Sonic Team keeps reinventing the wheel with each game.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There should be a Sonic XCOM set in the comics universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rouge prequel game where you plan and act out jewel heists. Story ultimately shows how she ends up working for GUN, last scene is her turning down the Project Shadow job until her handler slides over a photo of the master emerald and her pupils turn into giant cartoon stars