Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm not surprised that crypto is gradually morphing into an extremely expensive version of fremium phone game nonsense but it sure is wild to watch it happen in real time.

Someone is going to figure out how to merge crypto and gatcha mechanics soon and make a zillion dollars

Good news!

https://www.nagemon.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Can’t wait until I can get a free omelette NFT every day.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

AlbieQuirky posted:

Why can’t people just launder their money through laundromats or pizza places, as is the tradition?

You can’t slurp a pizza

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm not surprised that crypto is gradually morphing into an extremely expensive version of fremium phone game nonsense but it sure is wild to watch it happen in real time.

Someone is going to figure out how to merge crypto and gatcha mechanics soon and make a zillion dollars

One of those tweets implied that the slurp juices have different rarity levels so I think they've already made some progress on this.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/1521665031074631680
https://twitter.com/10pFreddos/status/1521719062073651201
It's too late, your money is pro-choice now

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Silly Burrito posted:

You can’t slurp a pizza

Turns out you can

https://twitter.com/AndyTheNguyen/status/1516467010972004353

although that is nothing compared to that time, yesterday, when apple news thought I wanted to buy a cronut NFT

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/cronut-nft-collection

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

lament.cfg posted:

They did slurpery on an ape

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Frank Frank posted:

I hate this so much

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVeiJwupo4

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I read somewhere and I can’t find the tweet now but the NFT market is continuing to crash HARD and I think this is the bag holders desperately trying to hot potato themselves out of losing everything

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shirec posted:

I read somewhere and I can’t find the tweet now but the NFT market is continuing to crash HARD and I think this is the bag holders desperately trying to hot potato themselves out of losing everything

no its just slurping. gonna join the next slurp sesh?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I swear to god I’m gonna pistol whip the next person to say slurp

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

sliz-urp

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey Farva, what's that thing you like to do to your NFTs, you know, the one with the stupid rear end name

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Hey Farva, what's that thing you like to do to your NFTs, you know, the one with the stupid rear end name

Oh, you mean Slurp?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNPW2wZ4D2s

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Ok now the word has ceased to have meaning and just sounds silly

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frank Frank posted:

Ok now the word has ceased to have meaning and just sounds silly

I think "Slurp" always sounded silly, like even when you would only hear it occasionally instead of 37 times in the same day, it was a silly word.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/StrangeTree420/status/1521892702568140801

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
last night i watched a live stream of an animator working on a cartoon, who was saying he was making NFTs of his animations (as .gifs) and said they were cool because it's a way to support your favorite artists (as an alternative to buying commissions) and making it easier to save content since sites like Twitter don't let you save gifs, etc.

Basically was saying "it's great if you buy my NFTs, but also cool if you just save the file"

and in that moment it blew my mind that NFTs could be a really good thing if they weren't bastardized by rich people.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

was gonna post that HOURS before you but am on phone and too dumb to embed it right without automated help. i will be sending this information to the blockchain to obtain proper credit

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

teen phone cutie posted:

last night i watched a live stream of an animator working on a cartoon, who was saying he was making NFTs of his animations (as .gifs) and said they were cool because it's a way to support your favorite artists (as an alternative to buying commissions) and making it easier to save content since sites like Twitter don't let you save gifs, etc.

Basically was saying "it's great if you buy my NFTs, but also cool if you just save the file"

and in that moment it blew my mind that NFTs could be a really good thing if they weren't bastardized by rich people.

How?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
no kidding i mean can't you just give him money without exploding enough coal to power copenhagen for an evening

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

if you just want to "own" someone's art because you think it's neat and want to support the artist. that's what the first two paragraphs i wrote were about.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Hideki_Naganuma/status/1521919211400216576

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

no kidding i mean can't you just give him money without exploding enough coal to power copenhagen for an evening

yeah idk much about NFTs and energy usage but apparently there are some that are much lower file sizes than what the major ones are minted with (etherium)

but yeah sure a patreon account accomplishes the same thing

but like it still costs kilobytes to send money to someone but :shrug:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

teen phone cutie posted:

if you just want to "own" someone's art because you think it's neat and want to support the artist. that's what the first two paragraphs i wrote were about.

Ok, but the NFT confers exactly as much "ownership" as the artist adding "(bought by teen phone cutie)" to the description of the image on DeviantArt or whatever, while being insanely inefficient at doing so.

E: like an NFT is literally just a JSON file stored on the blockchain that says "[your user ID here] owns [URL of image here]". It doesn't even guarantee that the URL is valid, or points to the thing you "bought", and it has no legal force. And it costs an absolutely bonkers huge amount of computational power (and thus energy) to create.

ToxicFrog has a new favorite as of 20:44 on May 4, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
These apes are getting too powerful with their Aztec space armor

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

whatever man i'm not dying on this hill i'm just saying if _some_ NFTs (there are clean NFTs I guess?) cost as much processing power as making an account on patreon and submitting a form to pay an artist, then it would just be another vehicle of doing the same thing.

NFTs are dumb tho

teen phone cutie has a new favorite as of 20:50 on May 4, 2022

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Heath posted:

These apes are getting too powerful with their Aztec space armor

man apes have it rough. habitat disappearing rapidly, populations dwindling, and on top of that they're becoming synonymous with jpg drawings of weedlord cyborg zombie stoner ship captains in sub- 90s "Garfstoned" red eye dreadlock hat garfield bootleg t-shirt quality

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

You wouldn't slurpload a car, would you?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

teen phone cutie posted:

there are clean NFTs I guess?

Nope.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Used to be if you appreciated an artist who put their work out for free, you could just send them money via paypal or whatever. Dunno if that ever worked but Patreon also exists now.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
There is already a system in place for hundreds of years for transferring ownership of creative works. It's called "copyright." If you want to buy an image from a creator, you can "license" it by just having you and they agree to do so for a particular sum of money. this is even common to do on the internet already, they're called "commissions." alternately if you just want to give a creator money to support their work, but don't need ownership of something in return, you can "donate" to them.

"oh, but the blockchain allows you to verify who owns it independently, without taking the owner's word for it." yeah we have that already, too. it's called a "contract," a document where the ownership is communicated through "writing."

tech bros will never stop reinventing simple things but making them more complicated by putting tech jargon on top of the underlying concept.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

There is already a system in place for hundreds of years for transferring ownership of creative works. It's called "copyright." If you want to buy an image from a creator, you can "license" it by just having you and they agree to do so for a particular sum of money. this is even common to do on the internet already, they're called "commissions." alternately if you just want to give a creator money to support their work, but don't need ownership of something in return, you can "donate" to them.

"oh, but the blockchain allows you to verify who owns it independently, without taking the owner's word for it." yeah we have that already, too. it's called a "contract," a document where the ownership is communicated through "writing."

tech bros will never stop reinventing simple things but making them more complicated by putting tech jargon on top of the underlying concept.

Just remembering that techbro who was convinced he came up with the concept of public transit

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Coincidentally, my work currently actually touches on this topic, specifically on how to digitally express what sort of usage rights and conditions are attached to a particular piece of digital data in a legally meaningful way, and how to store, transmit, and verify that data automatically without constant human oversight. Long story short, it involves a whole shitload of carefully designed formats and standards and certification processes every step of the way. It's a complex topic with lots of problems to solve.

Then NFTs came along, looked at that, and didn't try to solve any of those problems. Hell, they don't even seem to be aware of them. It's like you're trying to figure out how to fix a broken-down car, and then somebody comes along and tells you "just make the wheels spin!". :iiaca:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

teen phone cutie posted:

Yeah, but that's insane, because you don't actually "own" anything. Donate to their Patreon or actually buy their art. And, again NFTs (like everything on the block chain) have huge environmental costs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys/status/1521941313473626117

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

man apes have it rough. habitat disappearing rapidly, populations dwindling, and on top of that they're becoming synonymous with jpg drawings of weedlord cyborg zombie stoner ship captains in sub- 90s "Garfstoned" red eye dreadlock hat garfield bootleg t-shirt quality

Real living apes are gonna die because of NFTs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Small domino should be “Jeri Ryan cast as Seven of Nine”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

DontMockMySmock posted:

But all of this is necessary to operate in a trustless system!