Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Hokay time to be a cranky rear end in a top hat for a minute. I went there with the owner back when I saw his wares at SBK and tried to give some feedback on what he's selling at race oriented events. He bounced off the feedback hard and took it as a personal insult rather than improve the line. What his stuff is like three years later, I don't really know. I won't ride with it.

Buttons and snaps? those are gonna dig into your wrists and catch on your gauntlets. It doesn't matter in the context of Dore-Alley fair in San Francisco. But on a track, It does.
Note none of the stitching is doubled or reinforced with some pulls already happening.

Who carries their wallet or lanyard full of security guard keys with them on a trackday onto the track? Nobody. It does not need this pocket. This is answering a question nobody asked. This zipper is in an area where its going to see abrasion on a slide.

Well, at least like the now 20 year old T-Age, it has a frontal relief zipper. Rear relief as you've seen, also included, those race sessions, anything can happen. Krystal's sliders and Grindrs are too irresistible sometime.

Speaking of products from Dainese.

I'd like double stitching at minimum for that kinda dough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seeing those close up shots, I would never ride fast in those.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Seeing those close up shots, I would never ride fast in those.

That's my sentiments. Not any moto anyway.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Well, that’s disappointing to hear.

Found a company that makes gear I think my partner would love (she has her MSF scheduled in June and rode scooters for years) and they make exactly the shirt I want, but in a big guy cut and maybe in brighter colors.

Anyone know anything about Wind and Throttle?

I can also move this to the gear thread, but we were talking about it here, so …

edit: Looks like they're actually more of a distributor of smaller brands. That shirt is made by an Australian company who does make men's clothing, but not at a size that would work. It's a start, at least?

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 2, 2022

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Alright this is what I think makes sense to get to start off for gear

I'm still going to try and see what I can fit from my friends selection but I'm quite a bit larger than him , so I don't really think most of his stuff will fit me aside from maybe gloves

I plan to goto a local store tomorrow and try on helmets to get the proper size, and maybe some pants and jackets as I'm not really sure how this stuff fits (is it all made for in-shape skinny types?) :(

Anything that doesn't make sense in that list, I picked two jackets but wanted the cheaper of the two, the boots seem to have good ankle support, and the gloves look like the same gloves I have in my trunk for shooting with

The back protector fits into the Shade H2O jacket, seems like it's prob a good idea to have as much protection as possible?

Pants I assume are good, I have lots of jeans but they're not made for motorcycles they're only 'fashion' jeans

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
skip the icon poo poo for fucks sake.
probably the scorpion too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I think you'll be pleased with most of that gear, but I would recommend looking for a non-Icon helmet. They do cool paint schemes but the build quality is often poo poo. Airflites are a long oval shape; I have a long oval head so I bought one thinking "eh for $250 it can't be that bad" and it was in fact bad. Just put together poorly, the internal visor slider felt cheap and jammed easily, the rear spoiler adhesive started peeling after the helmet was worn for maybe 5 hours.

Scorpion, Shark, HJC, Bell, AGV all make better mid-priced helmets

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

skip the icon poo poo for fucks sake.
probably the scorpion too.

since this is the newbie thread, some feedback on 'why' would be helpful

is it just the cheapo brand for bike stuff? i thought that was joe rocket

Jazzzzz posted:

I think you'll be pleased with most of that gear, but I would recommend looking for a non-Icon helmet. They do cool paint schemes but the build quality is often poo poo. Airflites are a long oval shape; I have a long oval head so I bought one thinking "eh for $250 it can't be that bad" and it was in fact bad. Just put together poorly, the internal visor slider felt cheap and jammed easily, the rear spoiler adhesive started peeling after the helmet was worn for maybe 5 hours.

Scorpion, Shark, HJC, Bell, AGV all make better mid-priced helmets

thanks that makes sense, i just picked that helmet cause it had all sorts of features like internal tinted visor and whatever else... but until i try some on i won't really know what shape i should be looking for! hopefully tomorrow

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I put 50,000 miles on an icon helmet. It involved taking a drill to it's visor pivots to drill out galled threads. Using 3M flexible adhesive to hold the base trim gasket on twice a year. Seasonal (every quarter to half year) replacement of the hinges and visors. The fake mx peak tried to fly the gently caress off at highway speeds.
All for a four loving pound almost $500 helmet with the latest in 1980s safety tech.
Buy a different lid, bro.

poo poo even joe rocket is better.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Revit makes great stuff, but I’d try to find an AA rated jacket of theirs. Their website says they have 66 of them so something should fit your needs/price.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ditch the ICON, buy a Shoei or Arai helmet, and call the job done.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Steakandchips posted:

This is fine unless they don't fit your head shape, or you can't afford the price. There are plenty of decent helmets that aren't Shoei or Arai though and don't cost the earth. LS2, HJC, Scorpion, Bell etc etc.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Aren't Rev'it especially slim fitting? Shouldn't they look to try another brand if that is a concern?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I fit into a size 50 Rev'it one piece, while i don't nearly fit into a Dainese or Alpinestars one.
At least compared to the Italian brands they're a bit more boxy.

But it is definitely hard to find a well fitting suit if you have some semblance of a belly.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

Alright this is what I think makes sense to get to start off for gear

Steakandchips posted:

Lungboy posted:

This is fine unless they don't fit your head shape, or you can't afford the price. There are plenty of decent helmets that aren't Shoei or Arai though and don't cost the earth. LS2, HJC, Scorpion, Bell etc etc.

He picked a $430 ICON helmet. He can afford a Shoei or Arai.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Steakandchips posted:

He picked a $430 ICON helmet. He can afford a Shoei or Arai.

A quick look on Revzilla (just to get a rough comparison) shows one Shoei under $500 and zero Arai under $500, and that still doesn't solve the issue of the shape potentially being wrong.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’ve been nothing but pleased with my Scorpion helmet, would very much recommend trying some of them on. Mine was $300 brand new a few years back and I’ve never had an issue with it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Don't worry I'll be trying on helmets today so then I'll know what weird head shape I have

I'd like to find something that isn't either black, or team livery

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Blue On Blue posted:

Don't worry I'll be trying on helmets today so then I'll know what weird head shape I have

I'd like to find something that isn't either black, or team livery

I know I'm a dork, but there are many good arguments for a white or at least loud color helmet. I don't recall where I saw the video, but a white helmet zipping above cars etc. is a ton more noticeable than a black one.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Aye white are statistically safer iirc. Whether that's down to being easier to be seen or more that the kind of person to buy a white helmet just rides in a safer manner in the first place has never been answered though.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

it's cause you look like a cop

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Lungboy posted:

Aye white are statistically safer iirc. Whether that's down to being easier to be seen or more that the kind of person to buy a white helmet just rides in a safer manner in the first place has never been answered though.

Yeah it might just be correlation, but there was a video on youtube that had some good demonstrations on improved visibilty and I bough into it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Xakura posted:

Aren't Rev'it especially slim fitting? Shouldn't they look to try another brand if that is a concern?

The fit is like a tall, slim ish, think of your typical Dutch person. But not super small/short like A* or Dianese.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Rev’it was the only brand I could affordably find good gear as a tall, fat person.

That wasn’t STREET & STEEL JUSTICE THIN BLUE LINE GUN POCKET EDITION, I mean.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Everybody is making GBS threads on icon and i can't speak for anything but those boots that i do have and they're pretty good. They're fairly wide and comfortable enough that you can walk around for a while, and the construction seems fine. I wouldn't expect to wear them all day at work or anything though, they're pretty warm.
The only thing i don't like is the nonsense hiking boot style, molded sole on the heel and the fake welted style sole on the front

Also i don't know what website you're looking at or if you're not US or something but they're only $185 on RevZilla right now.

Edit:

Geekboy posted:

That wasn’t STREET & STEEL JUSTICE THIN BLUE LINE GUN POCKET EDITION, I mean.

Are all the try hard badass brands with skulls all over the place and gun pockets that also just happen to have names that are conveniently abbreviated to S.S. secret nazi stuff?

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 2, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Russian Bear posted:

think of your typical Dutch person

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Dog Case posted:

Also i don't know what website you're looking at or if you're not US or something but they're only $185 on RevZilla right now.

Sorry, he’s Canadian.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Well i tried on some helmets and my friend helped me measure my noggin'

I'm 59cm, which puts me into large for all the charts I'm looking at

Most of the helmets I tried on at the store (they only had Icon and some Bell's kicking around) Large seemed ok if a little big, but medium was too small so... Large it is?

And yeah sorry aboot that bud I'm Canadian

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Blue On Blue posted:

Most of the helmets I tried on at the store (they only had Icon and some Bell's kicking around) Large seemed ok if a little big, but medium was too small so... Large it is?

Try more brands

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

"If a little big" is way too big. "Too small" is probably about right. But yeah, try more brands.
I'm normally pushing XL in hatsizes, but ended up with mediums in helmets. Your face/headshape has a huge influence on fit.
The guy in the shop who helmet first time around was super-knowledgable and without him, despite having read all the guides, etc, I would have walked out with a helmet far too big.
Find a different store, with more choice.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 2, 2022

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

"If a little big" is way too big. "Too small" is probably about right. But yeah, try more brands.

Well the difference between a little big and too small is I couldn't fit my head into the Mediums without taking my ears off first

I need to find a place with more helmet selection

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

Well the difference between a little big and too small is I couldn't fit my head into the Mediums without taking my ears off first

I need to find a place with more helmet selection

Are you putting it on right? Really pulling out (not down) on the straps?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Are you putting it on right? Really pulling out (not down) on the straps?

Yeah i had my friend with me that showed me how to put them on

For some reason all the gear stores around here are closed monday , so i'll go try to get to one later in the week

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 2, 2022

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
A neat trick for helmet sizing is looking for a helmet where the pads are interchangeable among sizes so that you can adjust the fit. My HJC DS-X1 is a large with XL cheek pads. That one at least they make the pads in varying thicknesses in 5mm increments and they're interchangable for all sizes.
It's a lot more common to find that only xs&s, m&l etc. are interchangeable so you have to do some research to see if that's an option for specific manufacturers, models and sizes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

Yeah i had my friend with me that showed me how to put them on

For some reason all the gear stores around here are closed monday , so i'll go try to get to one later in the week

Yeah, same here. Closed Sunday/Monday.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’ve got a big fuckin dome and a lot of distance between my ears and forehead. I’ve had good luck with Bell, 7Zero7 (Cycle Gear house brand but oddly well certified) and my current Scorpion, which offers a range of cheek pad sizes.

To clarify further what some other posters are getting at, a brand new helmet that fits right feels too tight. If it goes over your ears off and on without danger of taking a piece of them, it’s probably right. Pads will break in after a few hours. When I got my current helmet, I wore it every day while doing the dishes and other chores for about a week with some rides in between. The headaches went away within that time and it feels great now.

I’ve been watching the MotoGP documentary lately and there is a lot of footage of the riders putting helmets on and taking them off and you’d think they were trying to escape a noose with the faces they make.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

As long as the polystyrene inner shell doesn't dig into your head, tight is fine. If you don't have hamster cheeks if you look in the mirror, it's probably too big.
Don't overdo it, of course.

When i first bought a helmet, i trusted the judgment of the sales person. After riding for a while it turned out it was too big, because i found myself tilting the helmet upwards occasionally because it'd sag down.
The same helmet, one size smaller, felt way too tight to unexperienced me.

Bought the same smaller size helmet from clearance a while later (the one i thought was way too small) and even now i feel like it could be juuuust a bit tighter. When i wear a balaclava, it's perfect.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If you're in between M and L and can't find one with changeable cheek pads, Scorpion do Air helmets that have inflatable balloons that push the pads more firmly against your cheeks, could be worth a try.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ok so gear aside, what is the general opinion on something old (and cheap to buy) like a BMW K75 or K100?

I can find a few around my area in the $2k (CDN) range, and my reading tells me they are very reliable

is it a horrible thing to look at, much like an old BMW might be for repair costs?

I am interested in doing a lot of the maintenance myself, save from anything that requires specialized tools or a welder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You answered your own question there. No an old bmw is not a good thing to buy, not reliable, not remotely fun or rewarding or even educational to work on. They are also very heavy, garbage to ride, an appalling learner bike.

Learning to ride, learning to spanner - select one, you can't do both.

If you want to learn to ride while doing basic maintenance, get japanese bike from this century.

If your want to learn to touch bikes deeply while not riding much, if at all, get a japanese bike from the nineties.

No European bikes, no Harleys, no Enfields, no obscure classic bullshit, absolutely never anything older than the nineties.