Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I didn’t notice anything, but I found Riki pretty tedious in 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

I've never seen mentioned so I feel a bit insane but is there not a clear difference in how Nopon were written in XB1 compared to every other Xenoblade?

Like I can stand Riki and the rest of them in XB1 are fine, but something about the constant meh-mehs in XB2 out of nowhere really grate on me. Like even the two Nopon in Future Connected felt distinctly different from the XB1 remake I had just finished.

If I had to compare it to something, it'd be like Yoda talk in the original trilogy vs Yoda talk in the prequels? Like a weird parody of itself.

They are pretty identical. People just Riki because he was a weird deadbeat dad.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Part of it is probably just the amount of lines they have, part of it is that Tatsu and Tora have specific character gimmicks that wear thin pretty quickly (which I guess is also a part of them having more lines).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I hated Rikki too so there wasn't much of a change for me. I actually don't mind the other noppons, just the ones they actually put in the party.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
After replaying it I think the Nopon in general were written differently (better) in Xenoblade 1, but aside from saying Meh less I couldn't tell you exactly what it was about them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Riki was awesome as gently caress, especially once I figured out he was a DOT expert. Heropon very cool indeed!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
There's a very easily missed bit of NPC dialogue in Frontier Village where a Nopon states they talk like idiots on purpose to make people lower their guard which I always liked

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr. Trampoline posted:

After replaying it I think the Nopon in general were written differently (better) in Xenoblade 1, but aside from saying Meh less I couldn't tell you exactly what it was about them.

The annoying mascot gimmick was largely an affection on top of the Nopon being an actual society of people, rather than their defining trait. Like Riki had some actual nuance as kind of a crappy failguy who got kicked out his village for being a debtor but still wants to live up to his community, the only other Nopon in the other games who comes close to that much going on is Tora and unfortunately his whole thing is 'local nonce'

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Sudden Javelin posted:

There's a very easily missed bit of NPC dialogue in Frontier Village where a Nopon states they talk like idiots on purpose to make people lower their guard which I always liked

Also the sidequest in XB2 where you find out who came up with the same idea in Alrest.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I beat Torna last night and also finished all the side content except the golden boss fights, including getting 88 community slots (do you actually get anything from Mythra's Girl Talk skill in this, other than completing her grid?). They did a good job of showing why Mythra went to sleep; having her directly cause the death of Hugo and more indirectly Milton was pretty harsh (though I think the latter was actually killed by one of Malos's lasers, even though most of the Torna's destruction came from Mythra).

I also feel terrible for Mikhail. Milton dies in his arms and then, presumably not too long after, his adoptive family of sorts is killed and he's taken by Amalthus to be experimented on.

The one thing that remains just as strange as it was in XBC2 itself is Jin's motivation. Nothing about his story should lead to the conclusion "humans are worthless, Blades are treated poorly." All the stuff that happened before Lora's death consisted of him making friends with people in Torna (who are generally portrayed as good) followed by Torna being destroyed by...a Blade. Granted, a Blade distorted by a Amalthus, but it's still a weird take-away given his specific experiences. Nearly all the humans he personally interacts with are good, and the only reason The Good Country That Treats Blades Well (this also wasn't highlighted as much as it probably should have been; you barely see any other Blades in Torna outside of Lyta's) was destroyed was the existence of hyper-powerful Blades. His perspective would make more sense if the other human nations destroyed Torna because of the way it treated Blades, or something like that, but the only other major non-Indol nation we hear about - Mor Ardain, whose Emperor he knew personally to be a good person - also has a positive relationship with Torna! As far as we can see, Indol specifically is the source of all bad things that happen during Jin's experiences.

Unrelated, but I like how Aegaeon is basically portrayed as this cool renaissance man. There's this one overworld party chat thing with Lora and Kasumi commenting on how sculpted his physique is. Also the scene where he starts effortlessly hanging out with all the women while the male party members comment on it.

Looking forward to XBC3 a lot. Probably my #2 most anticipated game ever, behind Endwalker (before its release). Been watching these deep dive analysis Youtube videos of the trailers, lol.

WarpDogs posted:

my dark confession is that I think all voiced nopon suck

that's always my downfall with regard to mascot-type characters: the voice. i can take the personality and "vocal" tics in text form, but have a human being speak those lines and it grates on me so hard

I wish they did that thing you see a lot in visual novels where you can toggle voice acting on a per-character basis

Japanese Nopon are significantly less annoying IMO (in 2 at least; I thought English Riki was pretty good; don't remember any "meh-meh-meh" with him). They still have a vocal tic, but it's far less obnoxious. Though I still don't like the Nopon party members in general. Hopefully the XBC3 ones are tolerable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Japanese Nopon are significantly less annoying IMO (in 2 at least; I thought English Riki was pretty good; don't remember any "meh-meh-meh" with him). They still have a vocal tic, but it's far less obnoxious. Though I still don't like the Nopon party members in general. Hopefully the XBC3 ones are tolerable.

XBC3 Nopon have multiple voices for some reason, you never know if you're gonna get Billy Zane delivering a line or Jeremy Irons

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ytlaya posted:

The one thing that remains just as strange as it was in XBC2 itself is Jin's motivation.

Remember that when he appears in XC2 he has literally been picked up by Malos from a gutter and total despair. Presumably Malos then convinced him to change his outlook.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think maybe what happened to Haze also had an impact on him, but even then it doesn't really do a good job justifying him working with Malos, though I guess it holds together better than whatever was happening with Mikhail's character.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Jin wanted the world to die because that world killed Lora and really, I can't blame him.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

Remember that when he appears in XC2 he has literally been picked up by Malos from a gutter and total despair. Presumably Malos then convinced him to change his outlook.

Terper posted:

(final boss spoilers) Bros, man :'(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

Unrelated, but I just found out that the titans' original JP names correspond to the original sins (and virtues in one case I guess).

Luxuria (Lust): Tantal
Gula (Gluttony): Gormott
Avaritia (Avarice): Argentum
Acedia (Sloth): Indol
Ira (Wrath): Torna
Invidia (Envy): Uraya
Superbia (Pride): Mor Ardain
Temperantia (Temperance): Temperantia

This is still the case in the English version, but it's not a unified theme like the JP version.

Tantal comes from Tantalizing.
Gormott comes from the French word Gourmand.
Argentum is the Latin word for Silver Coins.
Indol is short for Indolence.
Torna comes the Dutch word toorn (Wrath)
Uraya comes from kanji 羨, uraya, as part of the verb 羨む (urayamu, "to envy") or the adjective 羨ましい (urayamashii, "envious").
Mor Ardain comes from a Scottish Gaelic mór-àrdan (Pride)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Sudden Javelin posted:

the fact that they're a race of mascot-people who purposefully talk like cutesy mascots to try and hide the fact that 9/10ths of them are bastards is very funny to me

also im slightly biased but i like tora more than riki, if only because tora tends to talk about whats going on around him, rather than going "oooh, hom homs, riki is sooo hungrryyy" all the time

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Actually Riki is very cool.

They added the meh meh meh poo poo in XC2 which sucked but otherwise they were written pretty much the same.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Blaziken386 posted:

the fact that they're a race of mascot-people who purposefully talk like cutesy mascots to try and hide the fact that 9/10ths of them are bastards is very funny to me

also im slightly biased but i like tora more than riki, if only because tora tends to talk about whats going on around him, rather than going "oooh, hom homs, riki is sooo hungrryyy" all the time

Ah so they're the kobolds of the Xenoblade world.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Tirkin are the kobolds IMO

Are there any other sapient entities that aren't treated as normal people in Xenoblade 2? Can't think of any aside from the Tirkin off the top of my head.

Momomo posted:

Jin wanted the world to die because that world killed Lora and really, I can't blame him.

But his reasoning as expressed by himself isn't just pure nihilism; he goes on about the unfairness of existing as a Blade.

I actually like the relationship between Jin and Malos in general, but I think Jin's background should have been changed to more adequately justify his feelings. For example, something like the rest of the world directly contributing to the downfall of Torna - or at least deliberately refusing aid and showing some sort of antagonism - could have worked for this. It would send the message of "Torna was an exception and mankind being bad is the norm," but what we got instead was "one of the other major world powers' leaders is good friends with Torna and generally a swell guy."

At the end of the day "person loses their poo poo because of the death of a loved one" can always be used as a character motivation, but it's just not a very interesting one (and is frequently contrasted with other character who experience similar things and don't become murderous nihilists).

The motivations of the other Torna characters generally make more sense. Mikhail's motivation is probably one of the better ones - he basically experienced a similar thing to Jin, but with human experimentation thrown in. Akhos and Benkei (Patroyka? forget her EN name) are a little stranger, since IIRC they weren't really hosed over by humans before becoming Flesh Eaters. But I can generally buy the idea of Flesh Eaters wanting to stick together due to Indol - basically the primary world power for anything blade-related - trying to kill them all. Nia was the same, but just had a lower tolerance for murder.

edit: Unrelated thing that just occurred to me is that Zeke should have a very long life-span (at least multiple centuries judging from Mikhail) due to being a Blade-Eater. Wonder if we'll see him in XBC3.

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is still the case in the English version, but it's not a unified theme like the JP version.

Tantal comes from Tantalizing.
Gormott comes from the French word Gourmand.
Argentum is the Latin word for Silver Coins.
Indol is short for Indolence.
Torna comes the Dutch word toorn (Wrath)
Uraya comes from kanji 羨, uraya, as part of the verb 羨む (urayamu, "to envy") or the adjective 羨ましい (urayamashii, "envious").
Mor Ardain comes from a Scottish Gaelic mór-àrdan (Pride)

That's pretty cool.

Despite thinking otherwise before, I now think that it was probably best to localize most of those. Many sound kind of strange when spoken in English or have some other issue (Nvidia lol).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 4, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jin just wants to support his boyfriend.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Riki's only flaw is that he isn't the main character.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Riki has twelve kids and fought against impossible odds to provide for them. Riki is best nopon.

Tora is a creep whose big introductory scene is showing the maid outfits he made for his robot girl that looks like a grade school kid.

It’s…not a big mystery as to why people hate Tora. Is there a heart-to-heart involving him and another woman in your party? Chances are it’s going to be him being a creep or bringing up a creepy thing he has Poppi do.

Which is a shame, because his actual plot of carrying on his dad’s legacy of creating a blade was good, and Poppi is cool.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Who do you think you'll main/focus the most on in XBC3?

Taion is the one that intrigues me the most, I think I'll play him, but I'll probably stick with Noah for a bit.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 5, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, you can switch mid-combat. Maining is no longer forced upon you, and probably going to be anti-encouraged.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Every character can also apparently eventually fill any role or use any weapon.

But I’ll be playing the nopons obviously.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Tirkin are the kobolds IMO

Are there any other sapient entities that aren't treated as normal people in Xenoblade 2? Can't think of any aside from the Tirkin off the top of my head.

The lizard people, who were also in the first

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Riki gets two really touching scenes where he can hear the voice of the ghosts of Shulk’s parents and he’s the only other witness to Melia’s brother’s final words and nothing Tora does remotely compares on that front

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Riki gets two really touching scenes where he can hear the voice of the ghosts of Shulk’s parents and he’s the only other witness to Melia’s brother’s final words and nothing Tora does remotely compares on that front

Doesn't he also get a scene where he learns that Shulk's an orphan and immediately offers to adopt him?

The guy may be broke as a joke, but you can't deny that he's a good dad.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That's it. Riki (and the Nopons in general) had depths in the first game.
Like, how fast does the reveal come, that becoming the Heropon is basically forced conscription* for debtors? We meet Riki's family 5 minutes in.
And Riki is initially a deadbeat dad running from debts oh wait he's actually running what is basically an orphanage and his gazillion sons and daughters are actually the orphans he's adopted.

*to a jRpg party instead of the army but still

Tatsu is as deep as the oil in a cooking pot and what is Tora's depth? Meido fetishist? Gimmeh meh meh a break.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hell, Future Connected even offers him a bit of extra depth with him making a Nopon version of an Ether Rifle for Kino cuz his hand/wings are too small to use a Biter. That's sweet and cute, and shows that he's a lot smarter than he lets on.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Omobono posted:

That's it. Riki (and the Nopons in general) had depths in the first game.
Like, how fast does the reveal come, that becoming the Heropon is basically forced conscription* for debtors? We meet Riki's family 5 minutes in.
And Riki is initially a deadbeat dad running from debts oh wait he's actually running what is basically an orphanage and his gazillion sons and daughters are actually the orphans he's adopted.

*to a jRpg party instead of the army but still

Tatsu is as deep as the oil in a cooking pot and what is Tora's depth? Meido fetishist? Gimmeh meh meh a break.

I think I would agree with this. Nopon in XB1 do a fair amount of work to subvert the whole mascot thing. Riki has the aforementioned depth and all of Frontier Village's sidequests involve just slowly unraveling how they're all greedy monsters peddling drugs.

The successive games either don't do enough to make them stand out from mascot territory (Tatsu) or completely whiff the attempt (Tora). Chairman Bana from XB2 wasn't particularly special to me, either. I guess the reveal that Nopon are capitalists only hits once.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chairman Bana is also competing for the name with the guy who has a secret boss fight where he rides a dinosaur and gives an evil monologue with incredibly dramatic main story cutscene music playing, and the only thing I can remember about him is more maid robots and meh meh meh

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Everyone forgot the soldier in 2.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Overbite posted:

Everyone forgot the soldier in 2.
I really want an NPC in 3 that references it and has a goofy sidequest.

“Hey there! I hope you didn’t forget about me.”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I assume Riki’s popularity is just daddy issues is the most generic and therefore easiest button to push

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

That's not true because then Tora would have been the most popular

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Silver Falcon posted:

I maintain that Tatsu would have been 1000000x less terrible if it weren't for Lin and her terrible "joke" about cooking him every. loving. CHAPTER.

I hate Lin.

That'd still leave him as the worst Nopon. Lin was loving garbage though (as are 99.999% of 'young super genius prodigy characters, especially when they're also gross lolicon fodder) and deleting both from existence would make XCX significantly better. Just have Cross and Elma pair up and murder their way across Mira whiling bringing some (occasionally mandatory) friends along for the ride.

RareAcumen posted:

XBC3 Nopon have multiple voices for some reason, you never know if you're gonna get Billy Zane delivering a line or Jeremy Irons

D&D Movie Jeremy Irons voicing a Nopon party member would be reason enough to play the game in English. It's some Raul Julia-tier no fucks given ham and you could have everyone be somber and serious in a cutscene while some tiny Nopon just belts out the loudest, most over the top poo poo. :allears:

Boring protag: Guys we can do this if we work together as one. :geno:
Nopon Irons: WE SHALL BRING RUIN UPON THESE INSECTS. LET THEIR BLOOD RAAAAIIIINNN FROM THE SKY!!!! :black101:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm of the opinion Nopon in general were fine in XCX it's just Tatsu that sucked. But that's unfair because XCX really went all in on the community chart and side quest stuff so every random NPC gets surprising amounts of characterization. Nopon do get outshined in the quirky tiny species department by the Manon though, those little dudes were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I tried resuming my playthrough of XBC1:DE last night and proceeded to get owned a bunch at the fight against Metal Face (plus a couple other Face Mechon) in Sword Valley.

I think I'm doing something wrong. I was trying to play as Melia and even if I played super conservatively my tank could barely hold aggro and I generally couldn't survive very long. I tried switching to a very "safe" Reyn/Sharla/Shulk party and also got quickly owned.

My characters were level 49 and I think the boss was 50. Is there maybe some sort of heavy scaling where things are much harder if you're even 1 level below an enemy?

Junpei posted:

Who do you think you'll main/focus the most on in XBC3?

Taion is the one that intrigues me the most, I think I'll play him, but I'll probably stick with Noah for a bit.

I have no opinions on who I'll play (though it seems like switching mid-battle will be an important thing, so "maining" probably won't mean the same thing as in 1 and 2), but I'm also curious about Taion and Mio (who seems kind of interesting for a main female deuteragonist/love interest from what we've seen). I also hope they do something interesting with the Machina guy aside from having him being a Reyn clone.

I hope they give each "main pair" some sort of depth to their relationship (and at least one romance not involving Noah). While not as bad as most JRPGs in this department, XBC1 and 2 still had most romances center on the protagonist (with the exception of Reyn/Sharla, but that didn't get much focus largely due to Sharla's ex-husband/boyfriend (forget which) being part of her personal arc).