Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

When I go over to antimatter, I should have ~1500 plasmids saved up for the CRISPR upgrades, right? However, I'm wondering if I should grind for a bit to pick up "Standard" (Challenge 4) first. I also don't have Mutation 2+3+Transendence, which would cost a total of 6250, but I'm assuming that will come in time and I shouldn't focus on it.

My thinking is to grind up Challenge 4, save up 1500 plasmids, then do Decay during my jump over to antimatter and just get down to slogging through 4* runs and pick up Bleed.

The reason to save plasmids before AM is because when you leave it afterwards you'd need 1500 to pick up Bleed 2 and 3, while spending 100 anti-plasmids inside AM. This part is less critical to you as you've already left normal and could just grind those plasmids in heavy (or wherever) afterwards pretty quickly. Be warned; the universe will suck because your mastery will only be 20% effective. Having permanent anti-plasmid boosts outside of AM is very nice, though.

You'll get transcendence pretty quickly after starting ascensions - it's a decent speed boost but not critical.

Standard is a very strong upgrade and definitely worth picking up if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Going into AM with a stockpile of plasmids will also get you plasmid bonus once you pick up Bleed1. Granted, it's based on 1/40 of your plasmids, but given how hard the scaling on them falls off, it's still a hefty chunk of bonus production.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So I'm playing evolve and got past my first MAD reset, and the Plasmids are definitely helping things move at a faster clip. Still, knowledge in this run and the first run seems like a bit of a bottleneck. Is there any way to get around it, besides Technocracy and building powered Wardenclyffes?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Nope! There's a racial trait for reduced knowledge costs but that's not helpful for most runs. You'll eventually scale to knowledge being easy though.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

What does the "bought traits count double" line mean wrt minor traits bought with phage?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

What does the "bought traits count double" line mean wrt minor traits bought with phage?

Exactly as it sounds. Each time you buy a minor trait with phage it's both permanent and counts as two ranks. So say you have 1 rank in content with phage and 3 from mutation you'd have 5 total.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Rynoto posted:

Exactly as it sounds. Each time you buy a minor trait with phage it's both permanent and counts as two ranks. So say you have 1 rank in content with phage and 3 from mutation you'd have 5 total.

Ooo cool, thanks!

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

This is a little outside the usual fare for this thread, but:

https://youtu.be/u2RTl-ypzns?t=161

Disgaia 6 is being re-released as the "Complete" edition, and with this it has effectively turned into an incremental/pseudo-idle game.

There's "Super-Reincarnation", which prestige-ing for your character. There's different speed settings to make battle animations go faster or disappear entirely. There's auto-battle and auto-replay to let your squad grind with no intervention. And there's "Demonic Intelligence", which is a FF12 style combat scripting system for auto-battle.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested. Video links to discussion of the above features; what comes before is an explanation of Disgaia in general.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mdxi posted:

This is a little outside the usual fare for this thread, but:

https://youtu.be/u2RTl-ypzns?t=161

Disgaia 6 is being re-released as the "Complete" edition, and with this it has effectively turned into an incremental/pseudo-idle game.

There's "Super-Reincarnation", which prestige-ing for your character. There's different speed settings to make battle animations go faster or disappear entirely. There's auto-battle and auto-replay to let your squad grind with no intervention. And there's "Demonic Intelligence", which is a FF12 style combat scripting system for auto-battle.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested. Video links to discussion of the above features; what comes before is an explanation of Disgaia in general.

I played Disgaea 6 on the Switch, it ran like rear end and was only playable due to being able to automate combat with the AI. It's actually insanely simple level of automation. Do not play the switch version that thing ran at like 15FPS pretty often. It's kind of a dud in the series but does cross into almost being an idle game now. I mostly used the AI to do maps at a reasonable speed without having input eaten by frame drops. Like most Disagaea games once you get set up you are looking at a few maps then off to reset your characters, so 5 minutes of idle here or historically 10 minutes of mashing buttons to pull off your moves on the maps, then 10 minutes of menu navigation.

It's in a really weird spot now and many people here show up in Disgaea threads so there is cross enjoyment. Pretty sure we talked about it here for a bit when it was released on the Switch.

Everything about the game just makes me interesting in how they build from here in 7 now that they moved to 3D, I kinda want them to go back to sprites, they do gorgeous sprite work. Their models look like rear end and they overuse particle effects, you can see glowing effects clipping from under bridges in places no one could possibly get a camera to eating up GPU power. This is on the only real base map because of course the move to 3D means less diverse everything.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Hit Quantum in incremental mass and it seems like you need to leave the game running to progress? I was pretty weak on this for a while now, I think this is the final nail in the coffin.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I pushed through a little past the start of Quantum and got to Primordium as part of it, but it slowed way down and basically stalled progress entirely so I all but gave up at this point. See if you can guess why!

RNG distribution where it strongly matters? Only means of interacting is randomly distributing points and then respeccing to try again when it doesn't give you a good spread? My favourite! :sigh:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Lotus Aura posted:

I pushed through a little past the start of Quantum and got to Primordium as part of it, but it slowed way down and basically stalled progress entirely so I all but gave up at this point. See if you can guess why!

RNG distribution where it strongly matters? Only means of interacting is randomly distributing points and then respeccing to try again when it doesn't give you a good spread? My favourite! :sigh:

Just like Synergism, yay?!? As soon as it hit a point where you had to follow the road map instead of getting to make choices I closed it.

I feel like a lot of incrementals go this direction with a fake appearance of not having rails, but really having rails that need to be run on to make any progress. I get that it’s not easy to write the code to make choices matter, but don’t pretend if it’s not going to make a difference which choices I make.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

pixaal posted:

I played Disgaea 6 on the Switch, it ran like rear end and was only playable due to being able to automate combat with the AI. It's actually insanely simple level of automation. Do not play the switch version that thing ran at like 15FPS pretty often. It's kind of a dud in the series but does cross into almost being an idle game now. I mostly used the AI to do maps at a reasonable speed without having input eaten by frame drops. Like most Disagaea games once you get set up you are looking at a few maps then off to reset your characters, so 5 minutes of idle here or historically 10 minutes of mashing buttons to pull off your moves on the maps, then 10 minutes of menu navigation.

It's in a really weird spot now and many people here show up in Disgaea threads so there is cross enjoyment. Pretty sure we talked about it here for a bit when it was released on the Switch.

Everything about the game just makes me interesting in how they build from here in 7 now that they moved to 3D, I kinda want them to go back to sprites, they do gorgeous sprite work. Their models look like rear end and they overuse particle effects, you can see glowing effects clipping from under bridges in places no one could possibly get a camera to eating up GPU power. This is on the only real base map because of course the move to 3D means less diverse everything.

Release date June 28 D:

That's cool though because I've always wanted to play Disgaea but I really don't like the whole tactics genre (FFT, Fire Emblem - another game I really wanted to like). So if I can play the game without actually playing the game, that'd be awesome.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Release date June 28 D:

That's cool though because I've always wanted to play Disgaea but I really don't like the whole tactics genre (FFT, Fire Emblem - another game I really wanted to like). So if I can play the game without actually playing the game, that'd be awesome.

Go for it, I enjoyed the grind in the weird way this way. I got fed up with the Switch performance and didn't finish all the post game, but Disgaea is known for the insanely long post game content. The post game was also lighter but maybe some DLC fixed that? It was barely playable on Switch and I knew once I stopped I'd have no will to return. I killed Baal calling that done. No need for Prinny Baal grind.

Part of me wants to grab the PC version part of me asks why I don't just play Disgaea 5 post game instead since it was better and I still haven't beaten P.Baal there either.

I should look into what complete means maybe some DLC was interesting, but usually it's just overpowered characters.

I bet PC version runs fine just with way higher requirements than you'd expect. From what I hear the PS4 version (Japan only) running on a PS5 also had disappointing performance.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The disgaea games are great but Disgaea 6 is loving rear end.

So the first problem is the 3d models look terrible and the sprite work was gorgeous and the game feels so soulless as a result. However the bigger problem is the mechanics.

See there is automation now, however to make up for the fact that there is automation everything takes WAY LONGER than it used to.

I started to type out a big effort post about the nitty gritty mechanics at play between 5 and 6 but it's alot of words and ultimately the answer is this.

In disgaea 1-5 there isn't THAT much grinding, as I'd define it, as you're mostly doing a variety of different activities to collect all the tools you need to effectively grind. Ultimately after gathering up all the optimal poo poo it only takes a couple hours to grind out a character to maximum power. There are other things that take time to do, but the grindiest part of the game is that couple hours of building up a specific character.

In disgaea 6 the game gives you the option to automate poo poo, but then to make up for that they make all the grinding take 10 times as long. Even after gathering up all the optimal poo poo you'll need to leave your switch on and idling while a character grinds out for 10+ hours to get their poo poo, and everything aside from character grinding (like item collection) takes way longer as well.

Basically 'we heard you didn't like grinding so we let you automate it, but because if we just slapped automation on the old system it would go too fast we made everything take WAY longer. This makes the game grindier overall even with automation, and if you didn't want to use automation in the first place it's a thousand times worse!'.

Basically garbage, just go play 5.

I am real mad about disgaea 6 considering it's one of my most favorite series and it took such a horrible nose dive in the last entry.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lotus Aura posted:

Yeah, I'm at like 80 primordium but the auto-quantum stuff only runs when you've got the tab open and the random assignment of primordium means you need to use a script to get them assigned correctly? Nah.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Trimps is now on Steam. You can import your save file.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Hmm, I do like trimps and I do like standalone programs, but I'm not sure if I'd like trimps without a script running.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
If the developer of the Trimps userscript writes a mods.js file to use with the desktop version (like AutoTrimps did), you can install it by putting it in the mods folder (as shown in the instructions in that link, for instance).

Edit: Looking closer at AT's mods.js file, it appears to be exactly the same as what you'd put into the console to load AutoTrimps on browser, so you can probably just put any script in there?

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 4, 2022

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Sillyman posted:

If the developer of the Trimps userscript writes a mods.js file to use with the desktop version (like AutoTrimps did), you can install it by putting it in the mods folder (as shown in the instructions in that link, for instance).

Edit: Looking closer at AT's mods.js file, it appears to be exactly the same as what you'd put into the console to load AutoTrimps on browser, so you can probably just put any script in there?

Good news, the AutoTrimps link you just provided has full Steam installation directions for AutoTrimps!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh nice, I'll definitely do that then. I only just started trimps again a few days ago and have been playing manually so far. Partly because the script isn't designed to run in the extreme early game, and partly because the game is perfectly friendly to manual play up until you hit the farmable challenges IMO.

I'll transfer over to steam and get the script running then.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I started a new Trimps a bit ago after years of not touching it. I'm up to Zone 235 now and I love the new QoL features they've added. AutoStorage, AutoGold, AutoStructure, 10000 Foremen, and AutoJobs come WAY earlier than they used to (I don't think AutoJobs existed at all when I last played?), and where Map at Zone was previously very limited it's now been improved to the point where it can completely handle automating equipment prestige farming without the need for Blacksmithery.

I was going to use AutoTrimps this time (last time I stopped because I wasn't using it and got tired of managing things) but the game has so much built-in automation now that I might just keep playing manually.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 5, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

When I played Trimps years ago I didn't use the automation in autotrimps but I used the hell out of the graphs. You can see your He/He in real time and pinpoint the min/max time in your run. It was much sooner thab I thought I remember.

I might check out the steam version. been thinking of seeing where it has gone.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Evolve idle:

I unlocked the ability to spend phage to add/remove traits from a species. Does this last forever, as in everytime I play humans or w/e I'd benefit? It seems extremely expensive for what it is so maybe it's something you only do if you want to make a given class as a 'grinding' class?

As an aside, 3000 more plasmids and I can have both fanatacism AND anthropology which sounds like a pretty reasonable boost considering plasmids are worthless while doing 4*s.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You might be conflating two things here.

You can use Phage to level up minor traits. This is permanent and applies to every species you play. It's a good idea to do this once for every minor trait, so that they all start unlocked and can be levelled up with genes as soon as you start producing them - when to spend more phage on levelling them further is a strategy question.

You can also use Plasmids to add and remove major traits. This only applies to the current run.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's a chain of cripsr upgrades. Mutation is 'spend plasmids to remove major racials trait' and then Transformation is 'spend plasmids to remove genus racial traits', and finally metamorphasis allowed you to spend plasmids to gain major traits from other species in the genus.

I just got metamorphasis which is what prompted me to ask, so I'm not conflating things, they're just all separate crispr upgrades. You answered the question anyway though, pretty expensive for a single run buff, will probably just ignore them.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 6, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Anything good on Android lately?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Agent355 posted:

It's a chain of cripsr upgrades. Mutation is 'spend plasmids to remove major racials trait' and then Transformation is 'spend plasmids to remove genus racial traits', and finally metamorphasis allowed you to spend plasmids to gain major traits from other species in the genus.

I just got metamorphasis which is what prompted me to ask, so I'm not conflating things, they're just all separate crispr upgrades. You answered the question anyway though, pretty expensive for a single run buff, will probably just ignore them.

Adding/removing traits actually becomes quite nice as you go for the deeper prestige goals. Especially when you get to making your own custom race and it becomes viable to load it up with negative traits to gain points for grabbing all the good positive ones so you can just excise them from your gene pool once you reach CRISPR. Metamorphasis in particular can be quite nice when doing non-custom runs since there are quite a few powerful combos that come with doubling up on the major traits of a genus.

You definitely want a huge stock of plasmids to work with when you do this to minimize the production/storage loss when spending them, so it's not really worth bothering with until you've bought almost everything else in CRISPR.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 6, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Agent355 posted:

I figured you were conflating them with the (entirely separate) upgrade that allows you to spend phage on minor traits, since you mentioned phage rather than plasmids in your original post.

The plasmid stuff is definitely expensive and not really worth it when it first unlocks, but at some point you've bought all the crispr upgrades and are only doing 4* runs, so you might as well spend plasmids to muck about with traits and make them a bit faster.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Jabor posted:

I figured you were conflating them with the (entirely separate) upgrade that allows you to spend phage on minor traits, since you mentioned phage rather than plasmids in your original post.

Oh yeah, sorry my bad.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

HonorableTB posted:

Anything good on Android lately?

I just started Exponential Idle. No idea how old it is, but it's alright. Pretty much a pure idler. Set some stuff up and let it go - check on it occasionally, get a nice chart showing number go up.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Agent355 posted:

You answered the question anyway though, pretty expensive for a single run buff, will probably just ignore them.

It's good to spend for ascensions to remove negative traits, especially as by that point you'll have tens-to-hundreds of thousands of spare plasmids.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh man, I vastly underestimated how much plasmid production bonus I was going to need to get a non-demonic race off a Hell planet.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Decided to do a 4star steelen/joyless run with Ent-Sharkin, and phew I’m glad it’s the weekend….

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
Level13 got an update for the first time in over a year, I don't think I saw it mentioned here.

Not sure what all has been added, but the changelog mentions "many more enemy types and many new items"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GrossMurpel posted:

Also if you're up for a Prestige Tree mod, Incrementreeverse is my favorite
http://raw.githack.com/pg132/The-Modding-Tree/master/index.html

i have to be missing something but i hit the point in amoebas where it says every second auto buy an incrementy buyable but it isn't buying anything and i don't see an upgrade to buy anywhere

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Len posted:

i have to be missing something but i hit the point in amoebas where it says every second auto buy an incrementy buyable but it isn't buying anything and i don't see an upgrade to buy anywhere

Assuming you can afford them, it should just pick up on Incrementy Speed, Strength and Stamina per second, idk what to suggest if not but it's always worked fine for me.

In any case, it's not particularly useful until you get the upgrade at 5000 Amoebas that makes it do a 1000 buyables at once, 1/second is just really slow when you need hundreds of them (I recommend an autoclicker for bits where that matters).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The oldschool trick of holding down Enter also works really well for getting through any parts where you'd otherwise have to click stupid amounts of times.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The oldschool trick of holding down Enter also works really well for getting through any parts where you'd otherwise have to click stupid amounts of times.

oh poo poo what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Deformed Church posted:

Assuming you can afford them, it should just pick up on Incrementy Speed, Strength and Stamina per second, idk what to suggest if not but it's always worked fine for me.

In any case, it's not particularly useful until you get the upgrade at 5000 Amoebas that makes it do a 1000 buyables at once, 1/second is just really slow when you need hundreds of them (I recommend an autoclicker for bits where that matters).

Yeah I'm past matter and it's still not buying anything automatically:iiam: