Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Presto posted:

What am I looking at here?
I think those are various BBQ grills he's launched into orbit due to being a maniac when it comes to experimental combustion cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Apr 9-10, 1991)

Maybe you shouldn't be an rear end to the one person who willingly spends time with you.

Old School Peanuts (Jul 13, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 20-21, 1991)

:eyepop:

No Blind Alley today

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (July 9-12, 1936)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Kinderland

I was surprised by the Yiddish so I looked it up; Camp Kinderland was an Ashkenazi-Communist summer camp. The government shut it down in the 50s because Communism is Scary but it looks like it's still going in some form.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Compu-toon

Heathcliff

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 27, 2000)

https://peanuts.fandom.com/wiki/Peanuts_tributes huh! didn't know this was such a big effort

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

riderchop fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 4, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days May 12, 1960

does anyone have the Out Our Way where the cowboy was lamenting that he was "too young to fight in the great war but will be too old to fight the war against the martians" in like 1932? i get a similar intense dread of hindsight from this

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

That's cute. And I still love Ballard Street.

Unfortunately, cycling to work seems to have scrambled my brains, so Blueberry will be late again, sorry everyone.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori goes for the low hanging fruit.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

TampaTango posted:

Grim, no he gets it. This is what I love about the classic Val. It wasn’t until the 20th century that a woman could easily own property, there were exceptions but widowhood meant you were at the mercy of whatever male relative inheriting the martial property.

Fighting Trousers posted:

That and it's all well and good for the attractive young lovers to get their happy ending, but what about all the men who died before that point, and by extension all the women and children left behind?

I agree it's realistic, and I like that he mentions it. All I meant was that it's dark and sad. :(

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 28, 1951)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Two Google jokes in a row?

Get Fuzzy 5/3/02

Brenda Starr 9/2-4/48

The famous sewer snakes of Chicago.

Smokey Stover 9/14/47

Everyday Movies 2/9/35

"Well, supposin' I did lose at the races, that's just the reason I ought to be lucky on the lottery."

Lotteries were illegal everywhere in the US except Puerto Rico at this point, so legal gambling was another of Havana's attractions.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Slammy posted:

Up Front April 5, 1945

During World War II, the Italian Front got a bit overshadowed after D-Day, with the public interest waning over the slow advance up the Italian peninsula when the invasion and liberation of France were seen as more important and successful.

The phrase "D-Day Dodgers" popped up during this time, referring to those serving in Italy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Day_Dodgers

"the soldiers in Italy felt that their sacrifices were being ignored after the invasion of Normandy, and a "D-Day Dodger" was a reference to someone who was supposedly avoiding real combat by serving in Italy, whereas the reality was anything but."

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Spring Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Have you ever experienced hypnagogia? I have, but frankly not often enough. By day I can’t really picture anything in my mind’s eye (imagine how helpful this is for a WORKING ARTIST friends) so it’s a great pleasure when my mind, betwixt waking and sleep, serves up a glorious fantasia.

My personal favourite is “a rapid-fire parade of dozens of very clear, unknown to me, faces.” I did, once, observe a crystal kingdom laid out before me, as if from an aeroplane. But these treats come about once a year.

Those "crystal kingdom" panels reminded me of the side-story The Big Hiatus, when the mystery kids had to rescue people from a other-dimensional fairyland.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 4, 2022

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

This barber is about to have a full-on heart attack

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigglesSWE posted:

During World War II, the Italian Front got a bit overshadowed after D-Day, with the public interest waning over the slow advance up the Italian peninsula when the invasion and liberation of France were seen as more important and successful.

The phrase "D-Day Dodgers" popped up during this time, referring to those serving in Italy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Day_Dodgers

"the soldiers in Italy felt that their sacrifices were being ignored after the invasion of Normandy, and a "D-Day Dodger" was a reference to someone who was supposedly avoiding real combat by serving in Italy, whereas the reality was anything but."

Just a walk in the sun.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 1, 1934)

Peanuts (May 7, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 3, 1938)

Out Our Way (September 29-October 1, 1938)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

I keep thinking there is going to be a plot twist were it turns out that it was Moonfixer who stole the stuff he pawned to Goldie (or something like that).

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

I think there's supposed to be tension here but I feel none at all.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

don't dox me jimmy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Blueberry imposes, or Blueberry pulls a trick he learned from McClure back in Mexico, or Y'know, I recently decided to change things a bit by shaving my friendly muttonchops off... and I decided to see how I would look with just the moustache. And, while it was terrible, I can take pride in knowing it looked better than the monstrosity Blueberry has now

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I think there's supposed to be tension here but I feel none at all.

Utterly baffling. If this is intentional it's really a shame. At least when the strip looks like it is horribly rushed you can feel a bit of pity for a webcomic artist making the jump to hard daily deadlines.

So is she lurking the thread and trying to take the piss or is this like a Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde thing where the strip is good one day and then terrible the next? See, there'd be tension if the author wasn't literally elbowing you in the ribs, asking you if you can see what's going on in the visual medium and butchering everything for a third rate joke made by a 4th wall breaking observer.

Like gently caress, lmao but not because of anything the comic intentionally did. Yesterday was a genuinely good strip and here.. the triple down, god drat.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"By the way, thank you for this wad of compressed sawdust."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Holbrook's been getting a lot of hate lately so I'll instead heap it on this guy. I hate this, I hate these strips, I hate Tom Batuik. I can only say that he's the most arrogant motherfucker on the comics page because Brooke McEldowney got dropped.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

As frustrating as it is that we're back to Mozz's neverending story, it is pretty funny how he just casually drops that he was treated by a vet and when his wife is confused he's just like "Yeah she's good!"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Holbrook's baseline level of "I don't like this" is relatively low for me with spikes and crests and waves but the baseline of "I don't like this" for Tombat's work for me is at Holbrook's spike levels ambiently, if that makes any sense.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's well late now, but I just found out that the first story in Blueberry, the one with Bascom unjustly accusing Apache people of kidnapping a farmer's child was based off of an actual incident.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Doomykins posted:

Utterly baffling. If this is intentional it's really a shame. At least when the strip looks like it is horribly rushed you can feel a bit of pity for a webcomic artist making the jump to hard daily deadlines.

So is she lurking the thread and trying to take the piss or is this like a Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde thing where the strip is good one day and then terrible the next? See, there'd be tension if the author wasn't literally elbowing you in the ribs, asking you if you can see what's going on in the visual medium and butchering everything for a third rate joke made by a 4th wall breaking observer.

Like gently caress, lmao but not because of anything the comic intentionally did. Yesterday was a genuinely good strip and here.. the triple down, god drat.

I sorta wonder whether an editor was finding her artwork occasionally inscrutable and suggested the captions as a way to clarify just what in the hell is going on.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

father I cannot click the book

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

father I cannot click the book

i mean that's a real thing with kids these days, but only literal babies. a kid of the age depicted in the comic should know better.

a friend of mine has a two-year-old who spends too much time with an ipad and she will also swipe and pinch-zoom on magazine photos and shiny surfaces like the door of the microwave oven.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Monya the Grey
Odd number of pages this chapter, so here are 3 to finish chapter 8!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

"Ecological Disaster Child" Growth Status: Pretty Alright

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

So that's where we're going with this? It's fine to have a little thing going with a student so long as you don't hurt their tender feels? gently caress outta here with that poo poo, Mary Worth.

eta: It's actually not okay, ever, because it's a huge ethical breach and misuse of power. This storyline is making me have EXTREMELY STRONG OPINIONS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "194 - ''I Won't Have Any Adventure Today...''"

A holiday blurb with a rare line of dialogue from Jucika. The other panels are Pal's other works such as Ivan and Joe on the right.

"195 - Jucika Helps Out"

"Ruhatar means coat check."