Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Found my first portal, thinking of making that my base hub. How far do I have to offset my building around it? Figured I can do a treetop village over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
You can build directly on top of it if you want, although doing so in a way that intentionally blocks others from getting to it is generally referred to as "a dick move"

most of my portal bookmark bases are literally a base computer slapped down on the foundation directly next to the monolith part

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

most of my portal bookmark bases are literally a base computer slapped down on the foundation directly next to the monolith part

I built a base teleporter slightly under ground level due to terrain shenanigans so every time I want to visit the portal I have a few terrifying seconds of looking like I'm going to clip through the ground and fall forever.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If you teleport to a base portal it feels like it only considers the X and Y coordinates, not the Z, and it just drops your where the ground is (or originally was).

I have a base with the teleporter on a platform like 50u above ground level and it always puts me with my feet on dirt.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve been stuck at warp now for 5 mins. :argh:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve been stuck at warp now for 5 mins. :argh:

You have turned a blind eye to the emperor's radiance.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Had to close and restart. Now where is part one of this pirate map?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Had to close and restart. Now where is part one of this pirate map?

If you select that goal on the expedition page it should direct you to where it will be.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PJOmega posted:

If you select that goal on the expedition page it should direct you to where it will be.

I’ve got parts 2 and 3, it’s telling me to put them together, but I can’t seem to do that without 1.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve got parts 2 and 3, it’s telling me to put them together, but I can’t seem to do that without 1.

Hmm. If you've ever picked it up you should have a recipe to craft it, in case you tossed it or misplaced it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I don’t :/ I’ve got recipes for 2 and 3, but I’ve never had 1.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Double check you actually claimed it in the expedition menu. Otherwise, maybe you can claim it at the Anomaly from the quicksilver guy.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My mineral extractors stopped extracting, weird.

They're still connected to the silo network, have power and and violently shaking my screen when I'm near, but not filling. I haven't even touched anything since I've gotten it all set up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone here play on more than one platform? Do you essentially get a different NMS friend code per platform? I know character save and progression isn't something you can carry over, but I would've hoped that you could at least unify your online presence.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Got myself one of those fancy Royal Multitools

:eyepop:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Stare-Out posted:

Got myself one of those fancy Royal Multitools

:eyepop:

Wouldn't go flashing that around the space stations, someone'll nick it

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I read those existed but have never, ever, seen one. I've only seen an S class for sale in a station once mind you, with close to 200 hrs in.

(This doesn't count the lovely broken s class the weapon console guy tries to give you)

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The_Doctor posted:

Today's patch fixed this problem, so check again after you update.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I got it from a Sentinel Pillar, those things are always worth checking out. You don't even need to kill the drones or the mechs, just waltz right up to the console and see what multitool it has. You can even shut off sentinels for the whole planet from there.

Unfortunately you have to stumble upon them (they're not too hard to spot since they're pretty big and VERY red) or get a chart as a pirate station mission reward.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Stare-Out posted:

I got it from a Sentinel Pillar, those things are always worth checking out. You don't even need to kill the drones or the mechs, just waltz right up to the console and see what multitool it has. You can even shut off sentinels for the whole planet from there.

Unfortunately you have to stumble upon them (they're not too hard to spot since they're pretty big and VERY red) or get a chart as a pirate station mission reward.

Kill the last wave of a sentinel alert and you'll get the marker. Loot from the hundred or so sentinels you've killed also has a chance to contain a chart. Actually pretty easy to nav consistently if you're willing to shoot at stuff for fifteen minutes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Kill the last wave of a sentinel alert and you'll get the marker. Loot from the hundred or so sentinels you've killed also has a chance to contain a chart. Actually pretty easy to nav consistently if you're willing to shoot at stuff for fifteen minutes.

I forgot about that one, right. It's only because shooting in this game is super boring.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Unless there's some other condition for it, just check the portal gate at the space station. (on the expedition, anyways) There were tons of player bases named "SENTINEL PILLAR" or "ROYAL WEAPON" that would conveniently and neatly drop you by them. Same for the expedition planets or any material you needed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CaptainSkinny posted:

Oh perfect, thanks! I looked on Reddit yesterday and saw a few people had the same issue.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Spoilered question regarding the normal quest line. I'm assuming near the end of it, but I might be mistaken.

I have broadcast what 16 means to any other travelers and the only remaining objective is to head towards the center of the galaxy. am I good to teleport back to where I was and mess around in my base and mosey on naturally towards the center?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yes, any space station teleporter will take you back to your base.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PJOmega posted:

Spoilered question regarding the normal quest line. I'm assuming near the end of it, but I might be mistaken.

I have broadcast what 16 means to any other travelers and the only remaining objective is to head towards the center of the galaxy. am I good to teleport back to where I was and mess around in my base and mosey on naturally towards the center?

Yes, but if you're getting glyphs every time you warp from system to system still you may want to wrap up the questline first, since some events around it will cause interruptions soonish, and it won't take too long to finalize. There's no "no return" point where you can't go back to your original base (there used to be but that was one of those UX things they changed because people were A Little Unhappy about it)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The fact that I can't use the Gek battle helmet on a Gek body is a crime.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just learned just how much you can customize your companions, up until now I thought they were just cosmetic things that you can ride but holy cow, I didn't know about the gene sequencing stuff or that they can do stuff for you.

I also learned that you need to look into their wellbeing every time you play. Whoops.

Guess I'm just going to be looking out for rad companions and mutating the poo poo out of them from here on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CaptainSkinny posted:

Lol, it literally handed it to me when I started the game.

What’s the precautionary stuff for going to a new galaxy? Change multitool, etc?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Change multi-tool, change ship to your designated junker, put a base down if you want to guarantee being able to go back

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Everything in the technology tab won't be affected. So, make sure to put the launch thruster and pulse engine of your junker in that tab first.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just let things break because it gives me a short-term goal.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Do you actually lose stuff or do you just need to repair? I've only switched galaxies in expeditions the last few years (and once ages ago).

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Yes! Yes! Yes! My S class squadron actually does stuff now! That battle was so much cooler to watch as two of my guys speed ahead at another target and took out about 25% of his shields before I got there.

And you only need to repair.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My mineral extractors stopped filling even though when looking in it looks like this:

I deleted one of the silos and replaced it, then all power for everything in the camp shut down when I connected pipes to it.

What's stopping me from rebuilding on the spot is that the planet is absolute rear end and if I'm going to go through the effort of rebuilding I'd rather it be not there. Though it is the only class S deposit I've found anywhere.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

The_Doctor posted:

Lol, it literally handed it to me when I started the game.

What’s the precautionary stuff for going to a new galaxy? Change multitool, etc?

In addition to what people have mentioned, it also reset progress on my settlement and sentry robot quests, though I don’t know if that’s normal and I haven’t gone back to the settlement to check what state it’s in yet.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Floppychop posted:

My mineral extractors stopped filling even though when looking in it looks like this:

I deleted one of the silos and replaced it, then all power for everything in the camp shut down when I connected pipes to it.

What's stopping me from rebuilding on the spot is that the planet is absolute rear end and if I'm going to go through the effort of rebuilding I'd rather it be not there. Though it is the only class S deposit I've found anywhere.

Overall, class doesnt matter on deposits that much unless you are just lookin to ball out and get as efficient as possible. Its gonna take a certain amount of time to fill whatever storage youve built in x time which also includes offline time. I just skip on C class and build.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Black Griffon posted:

Do you actually lose stuff or do you just need to repair? I've only switched galaxies in expeditions the last few years (and once ages ago).

You just need to repair stuff; you don't lose anything permanently. Honestly by the time you're switching galaxies you'll probably have a freighter chock full of every crafting component you could ever want anyway, so it's really just a matter of whether you want to spend your time swapping out ships and tools beforehand or clicking on more components to fix 'em afterwards (you'll have to repair all your Exosuit general inventory modules regardless). Just make sure you have plenty of Wiring Looms, as that's the one bit you'll need a lot of (usually a few dozen or so) that isn't craftable.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Got it. That's not so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there an exosuit upgrade that lets me move inventory directly to my freighter? I only owned a freighter for about an hour in Survival before restarting in Normal (my friend plays in that, so I wanted to join up, plus wow is it way less tedious).