Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mlnhd posted:

He means “immersion blender”. It’s a spinning blade at the end of a wand that you can insert into pots to chop and mix the contents.

Sometimes they they come with a separate attachment that drives a spinning blade at the bottom of a mixing bowl, which you could use for making mayonnaise.

They're great for making mayo, sauces, and scrambling up raw eggs into a uniform texture.

The likelihood of you needing to make your own mayo once every 2 weeks (it doesn't last) is going to be reflected by your diet. Also how much ranch you really need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

wizardofloneliness posted:

I want to live in hot shower guy’s apartment because all the apartments I’ve lived in have the hot water temperature on the low side and it always annoys me. On the other hand, regularly turning your bathroom into a sauna for long periods of time without running a fan or something just means your bathroom is going to get gross real quickly if you’re in certain parts of the country.

I live in a really old apartment with no bathroom fan. I had to beg my husband to stop running the water super hot because it kept peeling our lovely paint which the landlord would just paint over again with a landlord special. :sigh:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else remember that AITA where it was some depressed/possibly not actually diagnosed woman who wanted to take 3 hour hot showers every day and told her parents and siblings they should shower at the gym or school so she had full access?

AITA for not giving money to my son’s birth mother?

quote:

Been lurking on this sub for a while but this is a throwaway account. The only abbreviation I use is BM for birth mother.

My wife and I adopted our first child after finding out we couldn’t have children when we were first married; he is now 19 and away at college.

A few weeks ago, our son called us in tears of joy. He told us that his birth mother had found him on social media and that he had been speaking to her for a couple hours. At the time, we were incredibly excited for him, and he would call us every couple days to give us updates on his contact with BM. However one day, he called upset and gave this story:

Apparently, our son had originally been excited to tell his birth mother all about his life so far, but she had seemed uninterested. Eventually, she told him outright that she had reconnected because she needed some money and she “didn’t want his whole drat life story.” As you can imagine, our son was heartbroken.

After a while, BM realized he didn’t have very much money, and now she has started messaging a us and leaving voicemails asking for us to transfer some money to her bank account. But I don’t want to give her a dime.

I lost my job during the pandemic, and while I was able to find a new one and we were able to get back on our feet, between costs from the other kids and helping with my son’s tuition, we don’t have much extra money, especially not the high amount she was asking for.

My wife is with me on this, she thinks that if we say yes now, BM will want more later, but my parents and some of my siblings think I should just “send the woman some money” and “support my son’s real mother.” AITA for not wanting to?

YTA for the term "real mother."

The balls on that lady though.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"Specifically you giving to me."
NTA. Sentence: Acid Vat with a ribbon on the lid.

Your acid vats have lids? Mine are open-topped so the armature for the giant paddles to stir the soup can fit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else remember that AITA where it was some depressed/possibly not actually diagnosed woman who wanted to take 3 hour hot showers every day and told her parents and siblings they should shower at the gym or school so she had full access?

I think that was the term his siblings used, not the OP.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think the "real mother" is them quoting their parents/siblings, not what they actually used.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

therobit posted:

Your acid vats have lids? Mine are open-topped so the armature for the giant paddles to stir the soup can fit.
Well yeah, so you can seal them forever and bury the slurry like radioactive waste drums.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I gotta admit I took a big hot shower partly because of that story and it was great. Then again, partly because it's super goddamn cold here and I haven't slept a wink.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Is an emulsion blender a blender specifically for making mayonnaise?

I'd like to think this was the gift

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
yo it's hosed up but true, you can use acid slurry on an ape

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Motronic posted:

He's an idiot and means immersion blender.

quote:

Before I start I’d like to say that my gf and I are both women. We are lesbians. I say this to hopefully preempt the ‘typical man’ comments.

Very first line of the post.

AITA for going to my daughter's graduation?

quote:

I am 59M, and my daughter "Lauren" is 21F, soon to be 22F.

My wife and I divorced a few years ago, right before Lauren started college. Initially she was supposed to live with me (rent free) for all sophomore-senior years of college (she lived in the dorms her first year), but after her freshman year we got into a disagreement and she left to stay with my ex-wife. Her college is mostly online now, but her college is only about 20 minutes drive if she needs to be there for class.

I have not seen my daughter in years at this point. I text her every day to let her know that shes on my mind and that I love her - nothing. I have texted her holiday and birthday wishes - nothing. I send her news and political articles because she is very politically-minded - NOTHING.

My ex wife is no help. We had a bad marriage, and she refuses to provide me with any updates on Lauren even though she is my daughter. I feel as if my ex is punishing me by keeping Lauren away from me, and I have begged her to encourage Lauren to meet up with me. The house is empty without her.

Lauren is graduating this month and has not sent me any information about her graduation. I have asked her many times to make sure she saves me a seat if needed, but she has not responded. I would like to add that I contributed to her tuition, so I am not coming out of pocket here to want to be at her graduation so we can share her accomplishments and put our disagreements behind us. At this point I am planning to call her school to find out where and when the graduation is being held so I can attend. Her major does not have a lot of people so there is only one graudation.

AITA for wanting to be there for my daughters college graduation?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

I think that was the term his siblings used, not the OP.

Good point, on second rereading it looks like it wasn't him at all.

I hate that term real parent. Real mom real dad. To quote a great man, he might have been your father, boy, but that doesn't make him your daddy.

Ugh to that Dad above. Even 20 years after my parents divorced, my dad wants to know what and when and where I'm doing everything any free moment of the day because he wants to surprise me with the visit. The worst he attempted was over a decade ago, where he helped pay for a school trip that was thankfully fully booked because he told me later he was trying to get a spot on the trip despite not being a student. He just wanted to hang out with me apparently.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Hughlander posted:

I send her news and political articles because she is very politically-minded

I assume this is him pushing his Fox News rhetoric on her every day?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Boba Pearl posted:

yo it's hosed up but true, you can use acid slurry on an ape

So this is what that nft slurp juice is about

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hughlander posted:

quote:

I text her every day to let her know that shes on my mind and that I love her - nothing. I have texted her holiday and birthday wishes - nothing. I send her news and political articles because she is very politically-minded - NOTHING.

lmao this idiot's been texting someone that has him blocked, every day for years

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Hughlander posted:

quote:

I raised my voice at her. but please understand that this is not new to her - we are immigrants and yelling in my family is how we always talk.

lol

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Hughlander posted:

I'd call Missing Reasons on this one, but his behavior after she went NC is enough reason for her to go NC.

They got into a "disagreement" and she immediately went no-contact. It's been years and he still texts her and sends her poo poo every single day, trying to force his way into her life by going around her obvious desires to not interact with him.

Would love to know what that argument was about.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder how many psychos in this world who don't understand how blocking works do what he did and just endlessly message people that have cut them off. Ex lovers, estranged family members, former friends.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

I have given her years to heal at this point, I deserve closure at this point

lmao die alone and unfulfilled you piece of poo poo

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder how many psychos in this world who don't understand how blocking works do what he did and just endlessly message people that have cut them off. Ex lovers, estranged family members, former friends.
"Only bad people get blocked. I cannot possibly be a bad person, therefore I deserve an explanation!"

In summary:

Foo Diddley posted:

lmao die alone and unfulfilled you piece of poo poo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr. Lobe posted:

I've had someone on a Discord send me an angry DM that I was saying weird things out of context and then block me. Turns out they were blocking the people I was talking to, so my side of it looked like nonsense. Also apparently they didn't know how "Show Messages" works, either. :shrug:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'd like to think this was the gift

30 seconds? But I want it nooooow!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If you chug enough rat homogenate, you'll start to grow rat mutations. That's how they made master splinter. Used to be a normal karate dude, and then he got hooked on the stuff. They call it chugging homo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Boba Pearl posted:

If you chug enough rat homogenate, you'll start to grow rat mutations. That's how they made master splinter. Used to be a normal karate dude, and then he got hooked on the stuff. They call it chugging homo.

in canada thats just milk

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i guess some people call it milk

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

my bf always has his hands down his pants

quote:

Ik it's normal for guys to have their hands down their pants bc its a comfort thing but I can't help but find it disgusting. My bf touches himself almost every day when at home, and it's just gross especially when he wants to touch my face and give me a kiss and all I can smell is his smelly rear end fingers that smell like sweaty balls and rear end. He even does this while sleeping it's like a sub conscience thing. I really hate this habit of his. My 5 year old brother even does this. It's just nasty. My bf all around is nasty hygiene wise. He makes the whole bed smell like sweaty balls and his rear end bc he doesn't take a shower after work instead showers before work so I don't understand the logic behind that. I've even had to sleep on the couch many times bc the bed just smells like him. It's gross plus he only brushes his teeth once a day and it's always in the morning. So when he's sleeping, he's a mouth breather btw Im litteraly revolted by his smelly rear end breath. I ofc have had conversations many times about his hands in his pants/hygiene but he never does anything to change. All of these habits are such a turn off and are so unattractive to me.

TLDR

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

Why does googling this give me, aside from the somewhat unfortunately expected quora and reddit threads, loving stories from Cosmopolitan and Men's Health talking about how normal this is supposed to be?! :gonk:

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Al Bundy?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mx. posted:

Look, I'm sorry he's a gross dude who happily stinks up your entire life to the point it drives you from your own bed, but unfortunately there's not a very simple obvious solution you could immediately enact to improve your life a thousandfold

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mx. posted:

i guess some people call it milk

RAT homogenate? You promised me dog or higha!

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Look, I'm sorry he's a gross dude who happily stinks up your entire life to the point it drives you from your own bed, but unfortunately there's not a very simple obvious solution you could immediately enact to improve your life a thousandfold

Like we’re going to get unbiased feedback from you, Captain Hygiene.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Hughlander posted:

My daughter and I had a disagreement, nothing special definitely nothing to remark on.

Anyways, she's refused to speak a single word to me since.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

My daughter and I had a disagreement, nothing special definitely nothing to remark on.

Anyways, she's refused to speak a single word to me since.

Bonus quote from the OP

some redditor posted:

Nta Go and sit in the front row. Cheer the loudest. Then just walk away. Your ex is just as much to blame. Daughter is an adult. She has made her decision.

OP posted:

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

CONTENT!

AITA for 'snitching' on a friend and causing him to publicly get his heart broken?

quote:

I (17) have this friend (18) named John, who desperately wanted to date this woman, but she had a poor opinion of him, so he had never asked her out. He approached me with a plan for me to ask her on a date, then act rude so, he could swoop in to offer to take her home. He thought this would change her opinion of him, and make her open to dating him.

I immediately told him no, but he begged me saying I owe him, he would do anything, and he's had a crush on her forever. I told him this plan was creepy and he should drop it before it blows up in his face.

I later found out he got another friend to ask her out in my place, and she agreed to a date the following weekend. I felt totally disgusted with all of them for this, and I decided she deserved to know what they were doing, so I told her. From what I hear she proceeded to very publicly yell at John, and cuss him out. The next time I saw John he was in tears crying and yelling at me, he said a lot of things, but the gist of it is I am "a bastard who hurt him for the fun of it".

I didn't want this to happen, but ultimately I think I was in the right, however I've been told I was a bit of an AH by others. So AITA?

Can you imagine being the woman put in that situation :wtc:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Bonus quote from the OP

Ah, the one comment among thousands I was waiting to hear...complete vindication!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

pentyne posted:

Well at least it's not the Barenaked Ladies.

Listen, it's been-

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

A poster in this very thread said he takes naps curled up on the bottom of his running shower. Edit maybe it was the funny pictures thread.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for taking long showers even though my therapist recommended them to me?

quote:

Lots of background here so I'll try to keep it simple. In late February I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression and went for inpatient treatment for 3 weeks. Upon discharge I decided I'd move in with my parents in order to get my feed back under me (I'm 27). My mom was very happy to have me in the house. My dad was skeptical because he not so openly thinks I'm just "lazy" and I have 3 younger siblings who still live at home who I don't get along with at all.

One of my coping mechanisms I've learned is to accept the fact that I'm a nocturnal person so I don't even try to stay up during the day. The other thing I like to do is take a really, really long shower (30 minutes-1 hour) before I go to bed as it helps me with insomnia. My therapist said this is a great strategy and likes that I'm thinking creatively to solve my problems.

So in my parents house I stay up all night and write (I'm a professional writer as my occupation) and I take a shower somewhere between 5 and 7. Well this has caused a melt down with my dad and siblings because they claim that I don't leave them any hot water. I know this is bull crap because there's still hot water when I get out of the shower.

But even if I did use all the hot water, there's other things that can be done so we can all live here in peace. My siblings can shower in the gym at school and my dad can maybe look into getting a tankless heater for the house. I mean, the way I feel is this is just finger pointing at me when they know I've had medicallly diagnosed issues and a prescribed method of treatment to help me cope. If I were to have a septic wound that needed to be washed every morning, no one woukd be screaming at me with choice words like "lazy fat pig." I'm just taking a shower for the love of God.

But I need to be more open minded in my thinking so I'm asking here. Am I the rear end in a top hat for taking long showers before I go to bed?

commenter posted:
YTA. How about you go shower at the gym.

OP posted:
Yeah because a 300 pound woman can go to the gym safely in this country… LOL dude

commenter posted:
Well, what country are you in? Also I’m a woman.

OP posted:
I live in orange county California The worldwide capital of fat shaming

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Hughlander posted:

AITA for taking long showers even though my therapist recommended them to me?

commenter posted:
YTA. How about you go shower at the gym.

OP posted:
Yeah because a 300 pound woman can go to the gym safely in this country… LOL dude

commenter posted:
Well, what country are you in? Also I’m a woman.

OP posted:
I live in orange county California The worldwide capital of fat shaming

Excuses galore, there's no better time to shower her fat rear end at the gym than 5-7am, it's a ghost town then. She can even
take a drippini after using the hot tub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It's true my grandma is from Orange County, CA and when she got dementia she wasn't racist at all but would (she's deaf) scream "WHY ARE THEY EATING SO MUCH FOOD THEY CLEARLY DON'T NEED IT" whenever she saw some poor random fat person back when we made the mistake of taking her in public. Also she talks about dicks a lot now.