Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
My survival plan is pretty simple when you get down to it.

Get by on peepers, hoverfish and bladderfish water at first.

Make a beeline for the island as soon as you have the scanner and scan everything. Grow some bulbo trees, potatoes, and marblemelons in planters.

Install water filter machine.

Build an alien containment and raise Reginalds.

Use the salt from the filter to make cured Reginalds.

Keep the plants as a backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
My buddy thinks I'm crazy for playing this game on survival mode and I think that's the craziest thing I've ever heard.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hope u like dying to glitches.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

chainchompz posted:

My buddy thinks I'm crazy for playing this game on survival mode and I think that's the craziest thing I've ever heard.

I couldn't not play Survival. Hardcore is a different beast altogether but survival is like... the game, proper.

Also, I really wish they'd back port a lot of the UI stuff from BZ into the first game, namely the quick display of power left in tools and batteries, the decay level of bio materials, the pinned recipe function, and wow, would i love a recyclotron. THAT thing was the MVP of my BZ playthrough. Too much titanium? Make ingots that you can break apart later. Compact all of your silver into wiring kits.

It's free real estate.

Seriously, the recyclotron is wonderful. No more worrying about accidentally making something. In both games, you can disassemble your habitat, so it just makes sense to be able to do that with your tools :shrug:

Also, really wish both BZ and OG would fix the problem of accidentally disassembling the scanner room without removing the upgrades, and then losing said upgrades. Sucks.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I only play in freedom mode, food and water are just a bothersome chore to me.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I scored this on EA as a bonus for supporting Natural Selection 2 I think and played a prompt 19minutes before putting it down and never looking again. Girl I know gets into it for a bit and I remember I already own so figure what the hell. Will give it another crack.

Terrible mistake. I have played a significant amount of hours this week just building crap everywhere and exploring.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I'm sure this has come up before but I had never found it.
It concerns Commander Keen and their reason for being there.
TLDR is that Keen is a dick.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I see nothing wrong there

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

GD_American posted:

I see nothing wrong there

He orders the recording turned off when there's possible evidence of survivors, because he wants them to be dead

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ikanreed posted:

He orders the recording turned off when there's possible evidence of survivors, because he wants them to be dead

ah I didn't read that far. I thought they meant the part where he calls the two whiny employees out.

Plot point taken right from The Expanse

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm digging into the first Subnautica for the first time and while it's pretty awesome I feel like this mid (mid late?) game is loving tedious.Really felt like it was moving forward until after the turret island. I've spent probably 4 or 5 irl days with no radio updates. Just trying to get deeper, getting frustrated and aimless that I cant find poo poo for blueprints I want to build. Just waiting for something to happen. My only solace is my base getting slowly bigger and better but I'm on the cusp of just getting bored tbh.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

I'm digging into the first Subnautica for the first time and while it's pretty awesome I feel like this mid (mid late?) game is loving tedious.Really felt like it was moving forward until after the turret island. I've spent probably 4 or 5 irl days with no radio updates. Just trying to get deeper, getting frustrated and aimless that I cant find poo poo for blueprints I want to build. Just waiting for something to happen. My only solace is my base getting slowly bigger and better but I'm on the cusp of just getting bored tbh.

After the Sunbeam event it comes down to getting hints through exploring.
If you state what you have found maybe someone can give you a hint at what you may have missed.
Specifically its very easy to just overlook things if you arent constantly keeping an eye out for PDAs in various places.
And there are a bunch of wreckage POIs to explore.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

You have the prawn suit? And have punched every type of leviathian to death? (because that never gets old)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OgNar posted:

After the Sunbeam event it comes down to getting hints through exploring.
If you state what you have found maybe someone can give you a hint at what you may have missed.
Specifically its very easy to just overlook things if you arent constantly keeping an eye out for PDAs in various places.
And there are a bunch of wreckage POIs to explore.

Yeah, this. Check your PDA for all of the hints and clues for life pods that won't show you a beacon, plus make sure you've fully checked the ones that have.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Go explore the crashed Sunbeam and try to get inside. You should’ve also gotten hints of a “rendezvous” location on dry land as well, go explore that island. Have you found the pink jellyshroom cave that’s about 200-300 meters deep? There’s stuff in there you’ll want to find and scan. After those, the end game areas are tricky to discover on your own. There’s a life pod (500 meters down) parked right outside one of the three entrances to it but you won’t get the radio trigger for it unless you’ve visited the other areas I’ve mentioned and built some of the new stuff you’ll learn from there like the prawn suit. Lastly, you’ll want to find all the parts for the Cyclops and build it too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Go explore the crashed Sunbeam Aurora and try to get inside.

Ftfy.

Also, without spoiling anything, have you scanned the necessary thing to unlock the multipurpose and observatory rooms? I don't want to outright state where they are but if you've found them, you've also found other audio logs.

I really, really enjoyed (the mechanics of) BZ, so it's a bit tough for me to go back through the first game without the 10+ improvements, but I played the original around this time last year and I'm really getting a hankering to do it again.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really, really enjoyed (the mechanics of) BZ, so it's a bit tough for me to go back through the first game without the 10+ improvements, but I played the original around this time last year and I'm really getting a hankering to do it again.

Mod the game

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I mostly play on Switch.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Ftfy.

Also, without spoiling anything, have you scanned the necessary thing to unlock the multipurpose and observatory rooms? I don't want to outright state where they are but if you've found them, you've also found other audio logs.

I missed the audio log near one of those rooms in the jellyshroom habitat until after I beat the game.

As a result, I had the same painful mid-game experience where I just wandered around the mushroom forests and floating islands but couldn't find the "next" area to advance things.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess it would be better to clear up what I have actually done so far and what my problems are. I have done a lot of the stuff you guys mentioned.

Stuff I have done

-Explored the Aurora picked it clean afaik
-been to the rendezvous point have the multipurpose room and observatory etc. All around my base is pretty decent but theres a few thing I'm missing. Ive got chargers, mod tables, machine mods moonpool, bioreactor. I'm set up pretty good.
-found the habitat in the jellyshroom cavern
-Been to a bunch of deep areas and picked up new resources. Seamoth is limiting though. I've done a decent amount of scavenging at up to like 6-700 meters though
-Gone to every signal the game gave me. I think there were a couple that came in that aren't marked on the hud but. have no idea how to find them...
-checked every wreck I can find. Often 2-3 times lol

problems
-I have the prawn blueprint and have for many hours. I also think I have the schematics for all the arms. I cannot build the drat thing for the life of me. I have not found a single gel sack. there's things that look a lot like whats on the wiki that glow on deep walls, but I can't pick them up scan them, or knife them. Must be the wrong thing. So aerogel is a no go. Also there's another component for the prawn I've never found but I forgot what it's called.
-No idea how to get the cyclops. i have bajillion parts for it. i guess not enough though? I csnt tell if it's all mods
-nothing progresses the story
-Game is hard as hell to google because of it's disorienting nature
-not an actual thing I am confused about, but gently caress everything needing copper and it being such a pain to harvest. For how much you use it, it should be as easy to find as titanium.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hidden in the Degausi base in the Jellyshroom caves, behind a loving ajar locker door, will be a log regarding their third base. To be explicit, the final base is in the Grand Reef, surrounded by squidcrabs. Both that area (iirc), and certainly the area around the floating underwater islands, have a spooky steep entrance to the next biome, very deep if you don't have the modules. Gel Sacks, which are needed for Aerogel, are found in these areas. If you can get to 700m, then that's exactly the area you need to be hitting up.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

veni veni veni posted:

problems
-I have the prawn blueprint ... I cannot build the drat thing for the life of me.
-No idea how to get the cyclops. i have bajillion parts for it.
-nothing progresses the story
-Game is hard as hell to google because of it's disorienting nature
-not an actual thing I am confused about, but gently caress everything needing copper and it being such a pain to harvest. For how much you use it, it should be as easy to find as titanium.

Cyclops ship schematic pickups are divided into three parts: engine, hull, and bridge. I think you need 3 of each to complete them. Check your schematics progress.
As for the Prawn, I think some of the materials required are gated behind (below) Seamoth depth upgrades, but it's been ages since I built one. How deep have you gone in meters?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I'm pretty sure I usually get gel sacs near Keens pod when I get rubies, i may be wrong though.
Its that one PDA in the Jellyshroom base that holds everyone up.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

OgNar posted:

I'm pretty sure I usually get gel sacs near Keens pod when I get rubies, i may be wrong though.
Its that one PDA in the Jellyshroom base that holds everyone up.
Yeah this is where I first found them and seemed like an easy location to keep track of as I'm a moron and went the whole game without just using beacons myself.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The exact deep spot where the story continues if you don't care to discover this for yourself, without a doubt the spoiler we guard the most:
the casm/border where the north kelp forest ends and the blood vine begins. Thats where the giant hole aka entrance to the lost deep and hot, is

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, Keene's beacon/lifepod was my most visited. Rubies and gel sacks (which I harvested and then grew more of).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Does the gun platform installation not have a datalog listing the other alien bases any more? I remember back when I first played that was my guide for where to go for the rest of the game (which could mainly be summarised as "deeper"). I remember they removed the actual visual ping but did they get rid of the site list too?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Does the gun platform installation not have a datalog listing the other alien bases any more? I remember back when I first played that was my guide for where to go for the rest of the game (which could mainly be summarised as "deeper"). I remember they removed the actual visual ping but did they get rid of the site list too?

Site list exists, however I and other players were led a little astray by an incorrect assumption

It tells you the Disease Research Center is located southwest of the gun platform, in a cave system. I assumed the entrance to the cave system was ALSO southwest of the gun platform, which isn’t quite true. The nearest entrances are directly west in the blood kelp zone or directly east in the mountains. The grand reef entrance is, I guess, southwestish but it’s so far away.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s funny you guys say the rubies are near the gel because after reading that I went looking for rubies and found 2 gels, which was enough to make the prawn finally.

But I have like half a locker full of rubies and still only have seen those 2 gels in the whole game. Continued to look for them after becaus I’m gonna need more aerogel, but didn’t find anymore. I don’t know why they are so drat rare for me it almost makes me wonder if my save is bugged. I’d love to just start growing them but I can’t find the grow box blueprint either.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It’s funny you guys say the rubies are near the gel because after reading that I went looking for rubies and found 2 gels, which was enough to make the prawn finally.

But I have like half a locker full of rubies and still only have seen those 2 gels in the whole game. Continued to look for them after becaus I’m gonna need more aerogel, but didn’t find anymore. I don’t know why they are so drat rare for me it almost makes me wonder if my save is bugged. I’d love to just start growing them but I can’t find the grow box blueprint either.

Take what you got and farm them:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Take what you got and farm them:

Yeah, this. Do it for blood kelp and those rarer mushrooms (I forget the name... the white/pink ones, not the regular ones in the shallows).

For stuff that's farmable, the game doesn't really give a gently caress how rare it is, since once you collect one, you're in control of the rarity from that point forward.

You ate all the Chinese potatoes on the south island? Sucks to be you (marble mellon is better anyway).

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Do it for normal kelp too, and anything that you use in crafting really.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I’d love to just start growing them but I can’t find the grow box blueprint either.

If you got the multipurpose room, go back there one more time

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If you got the multipurpose room, go back there one more time

Yep, you said you've already been to the rendezvous point. Just give it another once-over.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

For the love of all that is good, get Margeurit back home.

I was kinda bummed that she wasn't involved in the ending of BZ.

she is home? why go back to dystopialand

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Well, fair enough, but I mean... It's gotta gently caress with you to arrive at a new place, have it tear you down considerably (and she's the lucky one), and then deal with the fact that you are stranded there for the rest of your life.

Maybe she doesn't need to go home, exactly, but I'd be all set wanting to leave the planet for literally anything else.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seems like a good homestead, she's got food, a home, a pet, like, wouldn't you rather live in your subnautica base than on this shithole planet?? Personally I'd prefer warmer waters but hey folks like all sorts of environments. Maybe I've just forgotten but I also never got the sense she was longing for some other place or wanting to escape. Seems like she has freedom and agency there, a rare commodity in their universe. also she doesn't have to put up with other people, usually.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I don't think anyone cares about her feelings on the matter. She is on a planet without fulfilling a purpose for anyone powerful, instead she could actually be a nuisance against the aims for anyone who is.

She is not nice and I don't like her. Ban the Margarita from the nice game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
make a real pizza, you bastards, gently caress your loogies of cheese and leaf pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Yeah, Keene's beacon/lifepod was my most visited. Rubies and gel sacks (which I harvested and then grew more of).

I almost think this lifepod was part of a bad design, because it unlocks so easily (wiki says you get the beacon to his lifepod by building a mobile vehicle bay), and from there it's so easy to get to the blood kelp trench, and then to the lost river. Granted I think this is the most affective way to get there (spookiest), I didn't even realize there were multiple other routes until I'd already gotten halfway through the river. There are lifepods located near other entrances (or at least one of them), but this one unlocks early and is close enough to the floating island that I suspect most people explored it first.

edit:

For my next playthrough--there's a weird small cave or cavern with uraininite crystals in the grand reef or sparse reef (i think!!!) but I've never been able to relocate it. Any idea where this is?

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 5, 2022