Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Sorry to continue the derail, but I'm now very curious about pancit. It's not available where I live, so I'd like to try making my own, but I've found a bunch of dissimilar recipes (pancit palabok, pancit canton, pancit bahon, etc.). What do I need to google to find the good stuff, please ?

e: gently caress.
Here, have a picture of some badass women climbing in the Grampians in long skirts in 1912 (by Herbert Percival Bennett).

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 11:57 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pancit bihon is my fav. This goon recipe is really good, though I would try to find some calamansi juice and also add msg, as that seems to be common around here and was necessary to get the flavor I was looking for. But if you have an Asian grocer nearby, you should be able to get it along with the sausage (which can be skipped imo) and the noodles.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Pancit_Bihon

Exit: I’ve bought pancit bihon noodles before that had a recipe on the bag that wasn’t bad. It was more basic than what’s above but hit all the right bites.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Thanks.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Lady Disdain posted:

Sorry to continue the derail, but I'm now very curious about pancit. It's not available where I live, so I'd like to try making my own, but I've found a bunch of dissimilar recipes (pancit palabok, pancit canton, pancit bahon, etc.). What do I need to google to find the good stuff, please ?

Just go to my buddy Tom's mom's house and ask her to make you some. It's super easy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pancit bihon is probably my favorite, followed by pancit canton. Pancit palabok was my mom's favorite version but IMO the shrimp flavor (especially by using ground-up dried shrimp) was a little too intense.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/YLyN826.mp4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

She is The One

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

City bus gives no fucks.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

drat theres a hero and and superhero in this vid.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Lady Disdain posted:

Here, have a picture of a badass woman climbing in the Grampians in a long skirt in 1912 (by Herbert Percival Bennett).

For anyone unfamiliar, stereoscopes are great and you should try one out, if you ever get the chance.

The effect is two of the same image optically blends in your brain to make a single 3d image.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

The effect is two of the same image optically blends in your brain to make a single 3d image.

I'm pretty sure the images are slightly offset to add depth. This type of photography was used in WWI to identify camouflaged objects from the air.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah, you view them in the same was as magic eye illusions (ie. by focusing behind the plane of the image until the two sides superimpose).

Here's one where they're switched, that can be viewed by crossing your eyes:

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah, you view them in the same was as magic eye illusions (ie. by focusing behind the plane of the image until the two sides superimpose).

That's pretty cool but also gave me a headache

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

City bus gives no fucks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Carthag Tuek posted:

Goatse’d again!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

For anyone unfamiliar, stereoscopes are great and you should try one out, if you ever get the chance.

You can actually use the same technique as for those magic eye pictures, no apparatus needed. Try it with this schooner.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Zopotantor posted:

You can actually use the same technique as for those magic eye pictures, no apparatus needed. Try it with this schooner.

I have been trying since the 5th grade, to no avail, to see the picture in a magic eye :(

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Firstly, I'd no idea those double images were supposed to be viewed in stereo; I thought it was just how studios printed there photos, like how school pictures used to come multiple pictures to a page.
Secondly, it never would've occurred to me to view them using the magic eye method.
So thanks, that's really neat.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

My grandma had one from way back in day. Not as fancy as this one but it worked the same. She also had a box of stereo photos that I used to like looking at. Lots of messed up stuff. Photos of severed heads from the Boxer Rebellion, starving people in India, nothing pretty really. It was almost all photos of atrocities. I guess that was popular at the time.
I think my mom has all that stuff now.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mostlygray posted:

My grandma had one from way back in day. Not as fancy as this one but it worked the same. She also had a box of stereo photos that I used to like looking at. Lots of messed up stuff. Photos of severed heads from the Boxer Rebellion, starving people in India, nothing pretty really. It was almost all photos of atrocities. I guess that was popular at the time.
I think my mom has all that stuff now.

Uh... I had one of these. I think the disc had pictures of cute farm animals on it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

koshmar posted:

That's pretty cool but also gave me a headache

You can often view these sorts of side by side images in a clearer way by using a technique. Put both of your hands up about 6-8 inches from your face. Place them in a certain way to cover the images, so that you can only see the right image with your left eye, and the left image with your right eye. You'll have to vary the placement of your hands based on the distance to the image and the relation to your eyes. Once you have it lined up this way though, if you focus in the center, your brain should more clearly bring the images together than purely with the cross-eyed method.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

I have been trying since the 5th grade, to no avail, to see the picture in a magic eye :(

The last time I explained on here that Magic Eye pics are bullshit and that everyone claiming to be able to see anything in them was just cargo culting on what others claimed they could see in them, because they didn't want to feel left out? It caused a page long derail of people claiming they could see them so they'd not look dumb in front of others who also did the same thing.

It's just random dots, there ain't poo poo there, anyone claiming there is? They're just trying to look good for other suckers who also claim there is something there.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Stationery store where my grandfather used to work.

Printing area in back

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Desert Bus posted:

The last time I explained on here that Magic Eye pics are bullshit and that everyone claiming to be able to see anything in them was just cargo culting on what others claimed they could see in them, because they didn't want to feel left out? It caused a page long derail of people claiming they could see them so they'd not look dumb in front of others who also did the same thing.

It's just random dots, there ain't poo poo there, anyone claiming there is? They're just trying to look good for other suckers who also claim there is something there.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Desert Bus posted:

Same, but constellations.

Nice try, assholes. That doesn't look anything like a giraffe. Idiots.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Robobot posted:

Same, but constellations.

Nice try, assholes. That doesn't look anything like a giraffe. Idiots.

Big Dipper? Big bullshit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dipper is the onyl one that looks like a ladle though lol

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dipper is the onyl one that looks like a ladle though lol

yeah but it's supposed to be a bear

ancient people musta been bored af

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Just the other night I spent an hour showing constellations to my eighty year old father in law, who spent his entire life in dense cities and just never saw stars.

Orion is the best, but the two dippers are also the best. The rest are kinda bullshit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'll take Jerry The Cowboy any time

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
inside each of us are two dippers, one big, one little. which one wins?

the one you feed

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm sure constellations make more sense if you can see all of the stars.

Some day I dream of going to the Sahara.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Beachcomber posted:

I'm sure constellations make more sense if you can see all of the stars.

Some day I dream of going to the Sahara. They say your mind opens.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sculptor is the most bullshit constellation of them all.

There’s nothing there.

Like, it’s not a void, there are stars, but no particularly brights ones that form any sort of a shape that suggests anything, certainly not a sculptor’s studio.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've never seen the thing in any magic eye picture. My eyes are very mundane

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Azhais posted:

I've never seen the thing in any magic eye picture. My eyes are very mundane

I only *just* got them to work for me in the last couple of years. I'm over 50.

The trick that ended up working for me, is to pretend to focus on a point 20 feet or so behind the image. My monitor is set up so I'm facing a window, I started to look at the image but focused my eyes as if I was looking at the fence post out the window. It's weird, it's like it slowly slid into place and then just snapped into sharpness. At that point it was no longer an effort like my brain was going "Oh, that's what you were wanting to see? OK". However, if I stopped looking at the image I had to start all over again.

I'm not saying 100% of the time it works, but a good 9 out 10 for sure.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I have to go extremely cross-eyed (to the point that it's painful), then slowly uncross until the 3d pops. I'm often able to get the 3d effect but unable to actually determine what the image is.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I can get it in an instant with a quick crosseye trick, but instead of the image popping out it actually goes in instead, which makes it very hard to actually tell what I'm looking at. If I do the stare into the distance thing, it takes longer but shows up properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The General posted:

I can get it in an instant with a quick crosseye trick, but instead of the image popping out it actually goes in instead, which makes it very hard to actually tell what I'm looking at. If I do the stare into the distance thing, it takes longer but shows up properly.

3D images actually have a dedicated left and right side. So if you can "get it in an instant" with a crosseye trick, but the image goes inward, you can take the image into an image editor, swap the pics from left to right and vice versa, and then they'll appear with the proper depth.

It's all down to how the images were captured. Some are designed so the left image is seen by the left eye, the right by the right eye, and you bring them together to combine them and show depth. Other are designed for the left eye to see the right image, and the right eye to see the left image, and then combining them produces depth. But the view methods are not interchangeable between both styles. The former style are generally easy to do without any "tricks", the latter you usually have to use a dedicated viewing apparatus, or use the hand covering trick I mentioned earlier in the thread.