Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

eschaton posted:

The response of the writers to this would be “That isn’t how acid works?”

Do not overestimate the average person’s understanding of science, even the otherwise above average person’s understanding if they aren’t at least significantly adjacent to the sciences.

They think they’re writing science fiction. They’re actually writing science fantasy.

I think the people who write this show are much smarter than anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It inst worst than how The 100 handled radiation and I was able to forgive that too

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
TBH the killer acid ocean is getting dunked on because people know how acid works. Nobody knows the rules of "dark photons" or "nanomachine fruit-based biotech" so they roll with it easier.

They could have said it's some kind of "acid like" alien compound and it would have been fine (I think it's a bit silly but I like the show so whatever).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yall must get so pissed when there's acid rain outside and all the buildings and earth itself haven't melted away

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Khanstant posted:

yall must get so pissed when there's acid rain outside and all the buildings and earth itself haven't melted away

Anyone who has ever had to adjust the pH on a swimming pool with strong muriatic acid knows that "acid that eats metal and bubbes" is not the same thing as "lower pH rain".

Again I like the show, and it's never been particularly concerned about scientific accuracy, but they literally did say "this is an ocean of acid" and then sort of didn't really engage with the totality of that idea, to the point that my wife asked me several times if she was misunderstanding what "an ocean made of acid" meant when they said it. On the other hand "magic brain fruit" and "million-year-old religious bio-androids" are weird ideas that people will accept almost anything about, that's the difference.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's a planet with a god-like creature in it's core. It's littered with nano tech artifacts and ruins that are a million years old and the flora and fauna is made out of humans. Don't worry about the ocean.

I'm sure it's made out of a nanotech compound that, in solution, can rapidly change the pH value of the solution depending on factors like pressure or volume of the the solution. Nanotech pumpkin whales poop it into the ocean and keep the concentration constant.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You expect me to believe that this lady, just by turning around, turned to salt? I know how salt works, buddy. People don't just turn into it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

General Battuta posted:

You expect me to believe that this lady, just by turning around, turned to salt? I know how salt works, buddy. People don't just turn into it.

I guess you've never been in the internet before.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If it really bothers you, pretend it is flesh and metal eating bacteria or whatever. It's consistent with what's on screen. Yeah, they call it "acid" but that's just because it's quicker to say than "mysterious flesh eating life form" every time.

Bam. You're done. It's fine on a thematic/mythological level, as it always has been, and now also on a technobabble level, and we don't need to keep having this conversation.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
me: "holy poo poo, Bob fell in the ocean and melted! it's like acid or something."
you: "actually it's more like an aqueous suspension containing malfunctioning nanites of unknown origin, the degraded programming of which-"
me: *i walk behind you as you talk and kick you square in the rear end, sending you hurtling into the acid ocean*

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Maybe the ocean is LSD. That would explain many things.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Now lets talk about the science of robot milk

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Maybe the ocean is LSD. That would explain many things.

My first thought when they introduced it was that it's an obvious reference to the ocean of acid they did before and during writing. The show is clearly inspired by psychedelics

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

A wizard did it

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There’s a buttload of evidence that people near the mysterious chemical ocean experience only minor skin irritation. The characters have been studying it for months, and have found nothing to the contrary. Claims that the ocean vapours must be secretly dangerous are a product of superstition.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

All the same, since you can be on the shore with little problem, it must have been a real surprise for the first person to run into the surf

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

GABA ghoul posted:

It's littered with nano tech artifacts and ruins that are a million years old and the flora and fauna is made out of humans.

Wait... do you think all the plants are people?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

It inst worst than how The 100 handled radiation and I was able to forgive that too

The 100 owned

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'd be more willing to buy their concerns about acid oceans if they weren't constantly standing a few feet away from it all the time and in general being super close to it when there was literally nothing they could do or use it for.

Like "hey chase this guy onto the beach, where the acid tide goes. What time is it? Why the gently caress would that matter?"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

campion go down to the acid water filled with hostile creatures and fetch the drone please

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

SirPablo posted:

Wait... do you think all the plants are people?

I think every living thing on that planet is either made of humans, androids (the potatoes go radioactive like androids do), or some fusion of the two.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

RudeCat posted:

I think every living thing on that planet is either made of humans, androids (the potatoes go radioactive like androids do), or some fusion of the two.

That's wild, I never would have considered that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
soylent planet, enriched with roboflavin

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

RudeCat posted:

i thought the potatoes were radioactive because they grew on the nutritious soil around snake skeletons

which were radioactive because the snakes were androids :hmmyes:

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Whoever’s responsible, would you mind please green lighting season 3. I want to see what happens when upside down space Jesus and right side up milk mommy fight.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

pentyne posted:

I'd be more willing to buy their concerns about acid oceans if they weren't constantly standing a few feet away from it all the time and in general being super close to it when there was literally nothing they could do or use it for.

Like "hey chase this guy onto the beach, where the acid tide goes. What time is it? Why the gently caress would that matter?"

They're Raised by Wolves characters, they're not exactly operating on normal person logic.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
These are also the characters that didnt think to put a fence around the giant bottomless holes in the ground until a small child fell down one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
idk anyone dumb enough to fall into a bigass hole should probably just get it over with before they get someone else hurt

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Mother and Father immediately set up camp next to the giant hole, they knew what they were doing.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I didn't think anyone actually fell down the hole. They think Cassie(?) did but then Ghost Cassie keeps popping up in ways that imply she's really there (like behind characters before they look).

I bet she was abducted by harpies which live in the unexplored deciduous zone.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

She fell down the hole and landed in the big gooey supercomputer in the core that might be Sol and now it can clone her whenever it wants, same with Mouse

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

No Pants posted:

Mother and Father immediately set up camp next to the giant hole, they knew what they were doing.

Wanst that because the hole is warm and they were in the cold side of the planet?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The holes is probably where the snake skeletons are and the soil around the skeletons is the only place where nuclear potatoes grow

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

GABA ghoul posted:

The holes is probably where the snake skeletons are and the soil around the skeletons is the only place where nuclear potatoes grow

I had kinda forgot that the two robots tasked with saving humanity and programmed exclusively for raising humans, slowly killed their children by feeding them radioactive potatoes. What a show.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DrThief posted:

I had kinda forgot that the two robots tasked with saving humanity and programmed exclusively for raising humans, slowly killed their children by feeding them radioactive potatoes. What a show.

Accidents happen!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

DrThief posted:

and they only discovered this because the shuttle fuel tank, which doesn't actually care if organic matter is radioactive, for some reason has a radioactivity detector

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DrThief posted:

In their defense, they did analyze them and they were not radioactive at harvest time. They only turned radioactive after some time in storage, which is not something that happens in nature and you would ever expect.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DrThief posted:

and also so far they've done more to doom humanity than save it

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'm a big fan of the Emotional Deprivation Veil also apparently being a full body condom restriction device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Humanity would've been turbofucked if she didn't blow up the mithraic ship. that was a good thing.

yeah they really goofed on the radioactive potatoes but i'd like to point out how our parents all fed us cancer causing foods and slathered us in whatever cancer causing creams and cancer powder up our buttcracks.

i admit, cauterizing her udders and trying to do a big infanticide was a bad look, but considering the trauma of the conception, the rapid changes and growth, not havinog a fuckin clue wtf is gonig on, like, even normal human births cause a lot of postpartum conditions. honestly kind of got to give her a pass there too.

shutting down shodan was good too.

growing the grandma turned out to be bad but come on, nobody could've known it was a genocidal robot seed