Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I just want to wheel back and ask why you think a creature that prevents you from playing duplicate cards would ever be good in a singleton format.

There was a Circu deck in the early fledgling days of cEDH that played like Modern Top Control, using him for his first two abilities, but I don't think it was ever really good and it has long since been made completely irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Heath posted:

I built a Sigarda, Host of Herons deck that is laser-focused on hating out Tergrid specifically, and it's a lot of fun to break out against just any ol' black deck. Although some of the cards are on reserve for her specifically because they're too mean (Drought, Nature's Wrath, Reclamation)

Do you also play Angel of Jubilation and Yasharn?

E:

And Tajuru Preservers

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 2, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Angel yes. Yasharn would be a good include. Tajuru I probably wouldn't because the deck is already pretty tight and Sigarda can give me that from the command zone so she has it covered.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I don't like this format (find it painfully slow and boring) but the group I've been meeting up with play this most of the time.

Can someone point me to a deck or two that will either help me win quickly or otherwise help me lose quickly? In other words, high risk, high reward.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Group hug.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tortilla Maker posted:

I don't like this format (find it painfully slow and boring) but the group I've been meeting up with play this most of the time.

Can someone point me to a deck or two that will either help me win quickly or otherwise help me lose quickly? In other words, high risk, high reward.

Your problem is your group. The game is exactly as fast as the decks people bring. If you bring a fast deck to a slow table, you'll just run over them all day. Think about finding another group that is more your speed or talking through your concerns with your current group.

Some examples of high-power decks that are aiming to get things done is the CEDH database: https://cedh-decklist-database.com/

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Tortilla Maker posted:

I think that slow and boring pace is a symptom of your playgroup, but I'm sure there are plenty of decks that'll help you smash face. Here's one by Bust: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/fgmIKquEfE-89bkzOwsvDw

Heath posted:

Group hug.

LOL

E:

Comedy Answer: Have you considered a nice Tergrid deck?

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 3, 2022

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

There was a Circu deck in the early fledgling days of cEDH that played like Modern Top Control, using him for his first two abilities, but I don't think it was ever really good and it has long since been made completely irrelevant.

Yeah I think that's what I was thinking of.

Sounds like for control I'll be looking at stax. Glad to see GAAIV is still relevant on here https://cedh-decklist-database.com/. I'll probably end up in UW or UWx Stax from the looks of it. Thanks for the tips all.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Part of the appeal of cEDH is that the games AREN'T painfully long. Each individual turn may take a bit longer because of the density of interactions and decisions being made (every action matters!) but it's rare for games to last longer than an hour.

Which is good, because games that last longer than that aren't good for my attention span.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Tortilla Maker posted:

Zada, Hedron Grinder.

Edit: there's a few iterations of the deck, but most of them can be built on trash for next to no money because it's all cheap creatures and cantriped combat tricks. It's goofy and trashy and cheap and I love it.

Edit 2: Also, I agree with the folks saying the format doesn't need to take forever to play. I play with a bunch of filthy casuals, but our games never take longer than 90 minutes. cEDH is a sure bet for short games, but you can also get short games in the wider view of the format if you play low to the ground and you have a game plan to close things out.

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 3, 2022

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Group slug commanders like Mogis are easy ways to shorten the game and you can gradually make it more and more heinous to speed things up further.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
A friend of mine plays a Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck that is lots of fun to play and to play against. And it certainly makes the games short...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Karona the False God goad tribal

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Kardur is a really fun, but stupid deck.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Heath posted:

Weird way to spell Marisi

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Marisi is in the 99 :colbert:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tortilla Maker posted:

Zo-Zu the Punisher mass land destruction

You won't have a problem playing with that group again (because they won't invite you to play any more)

Edit: make sure to run Urborg and Kormus Bell

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Heath posted:

I've played against this. It's pretty fun to decide what to do with Karona.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Heath posted:

Marisi is in the 99 :colbert:

:hai:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jiro posted:

I've played against this. It's pretty fun to decide what to do with Karona.

Did they run Eon Frolicker? That's a top tier card with her

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JackDarko posted:

Alright, I did some poking around on the new Legendaries in New Capenna. I came up with these two candidates.

Jinnie Fay Jetmir's Second looks like it could be really fun in combination with cards that would normally produce 1/1 tokens.
    Ziatora the Incinirator this is the first card that I was interested in, however, from what I understand 6 converted mana cost may be too high for a commander. Flinging damage seems like it could be really fun though especially if I do it with a dice roll.

I think the Blitz mechanic is very neat and you can probably resolve Ziatora's ability before the Blitz's ability in the stack. Jinnie seems somewhat flawed in that she doesn't have an impact on the board on her own. She does look super cool though.

So looking at these two, I feel like Jinnie Fay has a much easier build with a much easier game plan that functions independently from her. Fewer bad hands, fewer dead draws, so i would pobably use her.

Ziatora also has a really frustrating issue where they are a 6 drop RBG dragon that cares about sacrificing things and this other 5 drop RBG dragon that cares about sacrificing things happens to be one of the strongest creatures ever printed, so trying to brew the deck in the shadow of Korvold, the Fae-Cursed King is really weird.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Heath posted:

Did they run Eon Frolicker? That's a top tier card with her

If it was in there, it never popped out. It was turtle style deck to dissuade people from attacking you, Ghostly Prison, Propaganda, Norn's Annex etc, all while building up your mana base and board state to have Karona come out and I guess you start doing other poo poo to gently caress with people.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's weird if you approach it purely from a power perspective. Korvold is too strong, to the point where he's very unfun both to play and to build around. I was really excited about him until I played a few games with the one I built and it got to be just a hassle to play him. If I were going for pure power I'd pick Korvold but if I want to actually enjoy a game I'm playing I'd pick the other dragon.

Jiro posted:

If it was in there, it never popped out. It was turtle style deck to dissuade people from attacking you, Ghostly Prison, Propaganda, Norn's Annex etc, all while building up your mana base and board state to have Karona come out and I guess you start doing other poo poo to gently caress with people.

Yeah this is how I built mine. It's super fun when it works but I don't have the means for a good 5c manabase yet. I think now that they've completed the triomes I'm going to get one of each and load up on fetches as well so I can consistently get my colors.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

So looking at these two, I feel like Jinnie Fay has a much easier build with a much easier game plan that functions independently from her. Fewer bad hands, fewer dead draws, so i would pobably use her.

Ziatora also has a really frustrating issue where they are a 6 drop RBG dragon that cares about sacrificing things and this other 5 drop RBG dragon that cares about sacrificing things happens to be one of the strongest creatures ever printed, so trying to brew the deck in the shadow of Korvold, the Fae-Cursed King is really weird.

Jinnie + Fae Offering + Academy Manufactor :getin:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Silhouette posted:

Jinnie + Fae Offering + Academy Manufactor :getin:

Use Jetmir as a finisher after something like that :getin:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

Use Jetmir as a finisher after something like that :getin:

Add the white hideaway enchantment to poo poo out even more tokens.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Thanks for the feedback y’all. I was attempting to get started with the Ziatora deck and frankly got overwhelmed. It has been fun though. Been mostly watching the Professors videos and Commander Mechanic to self teach.

Jinnie Fays concept does seem easier for me to wrap my head around.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it seems like a fun and kind of goofy card, for sure, unfortunately the Jund Dragon space has always been among the most competitive monarchy in the Commander meta game

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I like Ognis in Jund now. He's a Viashino, but he's got Dragon in his name so he counts.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I really want to build a deck around shenanigans using this card but I have no idea where to start :negative:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I haven't played MTG since, oh, 6th Edition? Mirage? Something like that? But Arena has made me feel the itch. I'm thinking about dipping my toes back in with either the innistrad "Undead Unleashed" and "Vampiric Bloodlines" precons since I'm an edgelord.

Is that a decent way to get going or am I hamstringing myself in any way?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought the Vampire blood Precon and I like it just fine, there’s a handful of big vampires that are fun to cheat into play, and you can upgrade the deck really easily by upgrading the removal and reanimating spells with cheaper, more efficient alternatives or staples. A decently beefed up vampire Precon will do fine at medium tables, and higher power tables just demand more reanimating and ramp.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Count Thrashula posted:

I haven't played MTG since, oh, 6th Edition? Mirage? Something like that? But Arena has made me feel the itch. I'm thinking about dipping my toes back in with either the innistrad "Undead Unleashed" and "Vampiric Bloodlines" precons since I'm an edgelord.

Is that a decent way to get going or am I hamstringing myself in any way?

Undead Unleashed is really awful, has basically nothing of value and plays badly. Vanmpiric Bloodlines at least has about $30 worth of playables or so in it, so you can make something of it. I really wish I knew of better new player products to push people towards, because "drop $30-50 on this deck for about 5-10 keepable cards and then buy singles from there" is getting real old.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I bought the Vampire blood Precon and I like it just fine, there’s a handful of big vampires that are fun to cheat into play, and you can upgrade the deck really easily by upgrading the removal and reanimating spells with cheaper, more efficient alternatives or staples. A decently beefed up vampire Precon will do fine at medium tables, and higher power tables just demand more reanimating and ramp.

Link your blood-centric list. Isn't that an upgrade of the precon?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I have a Kami of the crescent moon "group hug —no, wait, this is actually mill," deck. We call him cheeky-bum.

Anyway I bought the new bant precon, for no reason other than bant being my favourite colour combo, and I've torn it apart to make a +1/+1 counter and proliferate spam deck with Kros.

Any suggestions for either of these decks would be great, as I mainly just tear apart my old decks/collection to throw these things together.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Knot My President! posted:

I really want to build a deck around shenanigans using this card but I have no idea where to start :negative:

This will want to go into an etb spam deck, so maybe brago as the commander. That will allow for you to have a soulherder, which will be great to increase your etbs as well as getting bigger each time someone (you) feeds a card into this.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
here's the world's dumbest idea.

March of the Machines. Portcullis (with at least two other creatures/artifacts in play). Portcullis loops, removing itself and returning itself indefinitely. Play some sort of flash creature/artifact with a good etb into the portcullis; now it loops forever, too. Venser works (bounce all your opponent's permanents, then bounce Portcullis to stop the loop). Bogardan Hellkite works, I guess, but it's obviously rather expensive. Can't think of anything else that either wins right away or stops the loop, but you can add some sort of flicker effect (restoration angel, momentary blink, etc) and an existing creature that does damage or something, or Vedalken Orrery or similar. Idk. The rest of the deck is left as an exercise for the reader.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you want to be a total dick: augury owl and just sit there putting your deck into a chosen order by designing an algorithm to transfer cards from place to place as you pass through the library 3 cards at a time.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Curious to see if mathematicians have a more efficient way.

I think it'd work by putting all cards to the bottom of the library until you find one that you're interested in relocating, and then keeping it on top, while continuing to put each other card on the bottom, until you arrive at the place in the library where you want to drop that one card off by putting it to the bottom in its place. Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I finally got over to my FLGS and picked up the prerelease pack I had them hold for me (because gently caress retail work, seriously) and pulled a non-foil showcase Ognis. I have a spark of an idea for a deck, in that I want to run both Tombstone Stairwell and Pitiless Plunderer in here. Not sure how to make that pay off, nor how I want to get there in the first place, but I'm kinda hoping that throwing the idea out there and bouncing it off the group here will hopefully inspire someone like it's inspired me, and give me some absolutely nutbar bullshit shenanigans to run with, cackling like a mad scientist watching their creation come to life.