Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cloks posted:

thankfully we're not on the cusp of the hottest season in America so i think things will actually get better

looking at my columbus oh 7 day forecast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Koirhor posted:

looking at my columbus oh 7 day forecast

looks like it's going to be nice on sunday tho

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

My dad has a blue tit nesting box with a camera, he was showing it me today with the bird on the nest.

The nest is almost entirely made up of plastic fibers...

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

AceClown posted:

My dad has a blue tit

lol

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

AceClown posted:

My dad has a blue tit nesting box with a camera, he was showing it me today with the bird on the nest.

The nest is almost entirely made up of plastic fibers...

I'm glad wildlife get to share in our life of microplastics.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

was thinking about this thread earlier when I used my teeth to peel plastic off the top of a thc drink so i could take the cap off. i'm pretty sure i swallowed a tiny piece that came off

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Spergin Morlock posted:

was thinking about this thread earlier when I used my teeth to peel plastic off the top of a thc drink so i could take the cap off. i'm pretty sure i swallowed a tiny piece that came off

macroplastics are fine

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Mike Rowe plastics are what the cool kids are on these days

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
is it actually worth it to buy some kind of cloth or canvas bag vs using whatever plastic or paper bags the grocery store gives you

alternatively i could buy one of the giant reusable plastic canvas bags in the store for super cheap but lol lmao (also the last one i got fell apart within weeks)

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Minera posted:

is it actually worth it to buy some kind of cloth or canvas bag vs using whatever plastic or paper bags the grocery store gives you

alternatively i could buy one of the giant reusable plastic canvas bags in the store for super cheap but lol lmao (also the last one i got fell apart within weeks)

I'd get the canvas without thinking twice. I have some strong reusable plastic bags I use and I'm sure they shed microplastics like crazy.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minera posted:

in terms of reducing your personal exposure to microplastics? probably not a huge difference one way or the other, the plastic in a bag isn’t broken down yet as I understand it.

in terms of changing when this all catastrophically comes to a head, however many days or years from now? nah zero difference.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Minera posted:

your individual action literally doesn't matter and whatever personal-self-implications is so miniscule compared to the zillion gigatons of shredded tyre-plastic nano/micro particulates you inhale every day and dust in the wind.

just like, dont throw plastic into a creek or something. go with whatever is better. canvas bags are nice though, i like them more than plastic ones.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Oh yeah i mean for me it would be a totally aesthetic choice to get the canvas just loving hate plastic

Also lol thinking about the plastic bird nest and rimes (?) Post about waking up in plastic sheets in plastic pajamas stepping out of bed onto plastic carpet brushing his teeth with plastic etc lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

searching for clothes and typing "cotton" into the results and checking the first ten results, and the highest percentage of cotton among any of the listings is like 30%. meanwhile trying to eliminate results using plastic is impossible since there's like ten thousand brand names for every type of plastic used in clothing lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Xaris posted:

your individual action literally doesn't matter and whatever personal-self-implications is so miniscule compared to the zillion gigatons of shredded tyre-plastic nano/micro particulates you inhale every day and dust in the wind..

yes obviously, but my stupid monkey brain feels Better if it knows I'm storing one more thing in my living area that isn't made of plastic, plus it feels better every time i go to the store if i'm not shoving a huge wad of plastic bags into my plastic trash bag sitting in my plastic trash can

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Thinking about getting micro plastered

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Xaris posted:

your individual action literally doesn't matter and whatever personal-self-implications is so miniscule compared to the zillion gigatons of shredded tyre-plastic nano/micro particulates you inhale every day and dust in the wind.

just like, dont throw plastic into a creek or something. go with whatever is better. canvas bags are nice though, i like them more than plastic ones.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

how did that heat wave in India work out?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

nvm just skimmed the last couple of pages.

Lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CODChimera posted:

how did that heat wave in India work out?

It's a dry heat

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Xaris posted:

Most of my reusable bags are nylon and have been washed a bunch of times so they probably shed microplastic particles like crazy

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Minera posted:

I have been using the same two cotton? (I assume they are cotton, at least they aren't plastic since they don't melt) cloth bags for 17+ years. I wash them maybe once or twice a year with other clothes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Minera posted:

searching for clothes and typing "cotton" into the results and checking the first ten results, and the highest percentage of cotton among any of the listings is like 30%. meanwhile trying to eliminate results using plastic is impossible since there's like ten thousand brand names for every type of plastic used in clothing lol

If you legit want cotton clothes, pact is a good brand for it.

Been buying their shirts and underwear for a few years and they've held up really well.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Also if you get a canvas shopping bag make sure it's designed to stand up. Like I usually use a bit of cardboard in the bottom of mine to keep shape but it makes packing the bags with groceries so much easier.

I bought cloth shopping bags like 15 years ago living in a 3rd floor apartment because holy poo poo they are so much easier to carry than plastic bags anyway. Bags with good handles that I could pull over my shoulder made walking and bussing for groceries a million times better. Plus no worries about bags breaking.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my trick to cotton clothes is to ask the 75 year old welder where he buys shirts then go and buy the exact same ones

pants are easier because the same store will sell both old-tradesman-jeans (with built-in hammer loop and a cut that can only be described as "rectangle") and bib coveralls with chest pockets seemingly designed for half a phone (put an ancient notepad in there and a pencil u sharpened with a knife, keep your phone in a freezer bag in a side or butt pocket

what thread is this again

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

blatman posted:

my trick to cotton clothes is to ask the 75 year old welder where he buys shirts then go and buy the exact same ones

pants are easier because the same store will sell both old-tradesman-jeans (with built-in hammer loop and a cut that can only be described as "rectangle") and bib coveralls with chest pockets seemingly designed for half a phone (put an ancient notepad in there and a pencil u sharpened with a knife, keep your phone in a freezer bag in a side or butt pocket

what thread is this again

This is the gently caress plastic thread you're in the right place

E: not to be confused with the plastic loving thread, that's a different thread

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
thanks, plastic

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Minera posted:

Ultimately and sadly it's a pretty futile effort to remove plastics from your life. Almost any mass produced product is going to have some plastics in there somewhere. For clothes tags or buttons will be unavoidably plastic almost always. The fabric might be 100% pure cotton/wool/silk while the stitching and any elastics in it will be polyurethane. Sometimes the fabrics are sprayed with a very thin plastic coating for durability but will still be labelled as 100% cotton.

It's our lead. It's ubiquitous and it sucks and we can't avoid it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I posted this in the parenting thread and while my self-hating gut response is to expect this thread to say "that's why you don't raise children in a toxic world, you loving dumbass", generally this forum has been pretty nice to me so I will stick my neck out, not because of this post but because of the crackping that followed.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Spoiler: I am not a risk to myself or others

I want to harm myself because I feel loving awful because our 1 year old just popped positive for lead, not "WOAH GET TO CHELATION" hot but "hmm this needs a followup and you should look for lead sources".

We bought a post -80s construction house with lead concerns in mind. Got the water tested several times. Got lead test kits, tested fixtures, tested old maple sugar gear (got rid of a bunch as a result), tested surfaces, etc. What didn't I test? I didn't test the loving clawfoot bathtub right at the water line. I tested the fixtures, I think I tested the rim, but, that gray area where the water level hits? Nope, didn't test it. I still have the loving lead tests, so when my wife mentioned that as a possibility I busted them out and -- blood loving red (red means lead) all along the loving inside of the tub.

Other kiddo has taken baths in there for a lot longer, she also did not test positive on these same tests -- and she lacks her younger siblings tendency to put anything and everything including dumb amounts of bathwater in her mouth. But, I feel awful, loving negligent as gently caress, I am glad the state does these tests because at least it alerted us to a problem fairly fast and when her levels are not so scary that there is already clear risk of permanent harm, but, you know, there's no loving safe amount of lead, any amount of it will mineralize in bones, etc.

Also makes me realize my skeleton may be like 5% lead by weight because I also loved to put everything in the world in my mouth but I grew up only ~6 years post lead ban, not 45.

I just feel loving awful though and I'm never going to not feel awful about this because, sure, we buy a new tub and patch the hole, but, damage done? We'll never really know.

When I was sleeplessly thinking about this last night, something :crackping: jumped out at me:

Lead was identified as a serious hazard in the 70s and the only reason these tests exist at all and are mandated is the result of fallout of basically nixon-era policies, as far as I can tell. So, we test kids for lead, and that is good because it's dangerous and cumulative and while I'd prefer that this never have happened I am on some level grateful to have the information now and not just stay blissfully unaware.

Minor :crackping: - we went balls to the wall on inspections, got lots of advice about child safety, heard a lot about lead, and no one once mentioned loving clawfoot tubs, despite several of these people walking through that room

Major :crackping: - again, we test for lead, because of afaik nixon era policies. It's a good thing we haven't invented any horrifying new stuff that could be just as scary or worse like microplastics, PFAS, phtalates, highly mutagenic flame retardant chemicals active in the ug-range.... because if we'd invented any of that stuff and we wanted to keep our kids safe we'd be testing for ALL of it. Good thing plastics are much safer than metals, right?

:smith:

re: the general parenting and doomerism conversation strand from earlier -- my basic take has been that I enjoyed my own childhood and adult life has always been a sucker's game and if I can give my kids a happy and joyful childhood, then I guess we all just bear witness to whatever comes next myself.

Knowing that I have been loving poisoning those kids through heavy-metal tainted bathwater. The only heavy metal in the bathwater should be if they hit a teenage phase where they want to blast loud music in the tub, a thing I myself did (after my own lead-sucking childhood).

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 13:02 on May 5, 2022

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Nah dude it's okay to talk about having kids in here some people will go nuts but they usually get talked down. Anyway man that sucks what a sucker punch it must feel like

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
ya I love my son very much but if I knew 10 years ago what I know now I would of deffo got snipped

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Going nuts is kinda required for having a kid though.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i don't judge people for having kids because i pretty much don't give a gently caress about any personal choices now and our population boom is an unsurprising result of us getting all hosed up on fossil fuels. the drive to reproduce is strong, unless you're like me and just lack that gene or something. i do get mad when people judge me for not having kids though, i've had loving strangers tell me "you'll regret it" when they found out.

i'm super glad we never wanted kids though because it's gotta be hard to be on the crack ping express and it's just going to get harder as things get worse

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

i don't judge people for having kids because i pretty much don't give a gently caress about any personal choices now and our population boom is an unsurprising result of us getting all hosed up on fossil fuels. the drive to reproduce is strong, unless you're like me and just lack that gene or something. i do get mad when people judge me for not having kids though, i've had loving strangers tell me "you'll regret it" when they found out.

i'm super glad we never wanted kids though because it's gotta be hard to be on the crack ping express and it's just going to get harder as things get worse

Same, same, same. I'm ready to just jump on board with a Keurig or other convenient poo poo I was avoiding out of not wanting to waste because why would I deprive myself at this point. ("But if we all stop!")

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Harold Fjord posted:

Same, same, same. I'm ready to just jump on board with a Keurig or other convenient poo poo I was avoiding out of not wanting to waste because why would I deprive myself at this point. ("But if we all stop!")

Don't get a Keurig, they make the worst coffee, hands down. I like my coffee black, and my mom keeps giving me K-Cups for Christmas, and burning through that garbage is the only time I buy creamer, which generally sucks, but makes K-Cup coffee taste substantially less bad.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Koirhor posted:

macroplastics are fine

*chews on plastic night guard* mmm plastic

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Ugh Keurig is so bad at least get a Nespresso if you want to create tons of waste and swallow microplastics while making coffee

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't get a Keurig, they make the worst coffee, hands down. I like my coffee black, and my mom keeps giving me K-Cups for Christmas, and burning through that garbage is the only time I buy creamer, which generally sucks, but makes K-Cup coffee taste substantially less bad.

Yeah, I just save them for something to chew on when driving.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
love my coffee filtered through hot, punctured plastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

only the freshest microplastic filtered brew for me, thanks