Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

I'll be voting (ld candidate seems sound at least, so will rank above whatever scotlab drones are on the list).

1. Green
  2. SNP
  3. SNP
  4. Lib Dem
  5. Labour
  6. Labour
  7. Tory

I think I will end up voting SNP 1, Labour 2, Alba 3 (my mam worked with the candidate and vouches for her not being the regressive freak so many of them are), Liberals 4, independent 5, and then refusing to vote for the other independent who has no information available online on them, and the Tory.

The one independent I'll rank below the Lib Dem just seems very "me, me, me" from what I've found, distasteful.

Honestly, choices loving suck, lol at the Labour candidate being the 2nd best choice. He does benefit from the fact I worked with him for a while, though he's binned his dreadlocks sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'll be voting (ld candidate seems sound at least, so will rank above whatever scotlab drones are on the list).

1. Green
  2. SNP
  3. SNP
  4. Lib Dem
  5. Labour
  6. Labour
  7. Tory

Lib Dems are cool again because Kieth Steamer told me they're going to legalise drugs and ban nukes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
not votin' today lol

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The only options in my ward are Tory and Lib Dem. I might actually vote lib dem just to spite the Tories, or I might just write JEREMY CORBYN on my ballot

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Get some butteries and wash them down with a cool refreshing Moray Cup.
I can't believe it's not buttery.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

s spectre is haunting margerine — the spectre of butter. all the powers of old europe have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: pope and tsar, metternich and guizot, french radicals and german police-spies

where is the margerine in opposition that has not been decried as butter by its opponents in power? where is the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of being butter, against the more advanced opposition margerine, as well as against its vegetable oil blend adversaries?

two things result from this fact:

I. butter is already acknowledged by all european powers to be itself a power

II. it is high time that butter should openly, in the face of the whole world, publish their belief, their aims, their tendencies, and meet this nursery tale of the belief it is butter with a manifesto of the butter itself

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

SixFigureSandwich posted:

The only options in my ward are Tory and Lib Dem. I might actually vote lib dem just to spite the Tories, or I might just write JEREMY CORBYN on my ballot

a vote is only ever a vote for, never against

don't vote for that which you do not want

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Keith is the political equivalent of a Funko Pop

I will not elaborate

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

One of my friends got strongarmed into standing for the Greens so I'm going to vote for her. She is desperately hoping she won't win lol.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
In spite of my previous thoughts on spoiling my ballot, I have had a change of heart, and after a good long think on the democratic process and it's importance in all our lives I'm just gonna sack it off entirely, and I'm gonna have a big bowl of homemade veggie soup with some crusty cheesy bread instead

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm not voting today.

My local elections were in 2019, under Corbs. Either way now I'm back in work it's time for my yearly tradition of being locked in a computer room all day while an election is going on so I can only occasionally check what's happening if at all.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I'm going to vote in a bit. I'll vote for the labour person because (a) it's the locals (b) I know her and while I'm not particularly keen on her as a private individual, she is quite pink and if we can start to turn the true blue county council red, that would be good.

My choice here is 1 Lab, 1 Tory, 1 Independent (who looks exactly like a tory).

If there had been a plaid, I might have done that instead but there isn't.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Barry Foster posted:

a vote is only ever a vote for, never against

don't vote for that which you do not want
I voted for a Lib Dem last year tbh.

It was for PCC & they were literally the only candidate who said that maybe it was bad for police to do racisms and suppress protests. Think that counts as a vote against (police).

That was the first time I ever voted not-Labour, & I voted for 4 separate parties lmao.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This seems bad, to me.

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1522169500417904641?s=20

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Mine's a tory safe seat with labour like forty points behind. I'll chuck a vote to the greens, though we don't see eye to eye on everything.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

gently caress, signing the papers on my mortgage switch next week, hope I can get in before the rates get hiked in response

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1522179177369280513?t=oqhENvHvUj3xW9YtIiMOGA&s=19

CON+20

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

There is no loving way BoE put out an announcement like that on an election day by coincidence

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't he say he was going to trigger a recession to keep inflation low or something?

The bank of england guy that is.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Higher interest rates are also bad for landlords and accumulators of capital, so it's not all bad.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't he say he was going to trigger a recession to keep inflation low or something?

The bank of england guy that is.
Different guy, but I think everyone was already saying we're gonna have a recession (did we ever recover from the last one?) anyway

Unrelated, just saw this:

Graun posted:

Tory peer and elections expert Robert Hayward said postal vote returns were down “quite markedly” compared with 2018. He added: “My expectation is therefore that turnout will be hard pushed to reach 30% in 2022.

“I don’t think this will benefit any one party but more that the electorate is saying ‘a plague on all your houses’.”

Hayward told the Guardian he was staggered by the “the range of expectation management by the two major parties”, given Tory insiders fear the party could be on course to lose up to half the seats they are defending and some Labour figures have downplayed the chances of many gains.
Could be fun, not quite sure how everyone can lose tbh but it suits me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not a recession, it's growth in the other direction.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hey I remember interest rates. Kids, back in my day “interest” was something you could earn from the bank in return for letting them hold onto your money. You’d put your savings in an account and get a little bit of extra money every month!

Oh, of course — “savings” were what we called the money left over from your wages after you paid the rent and bought groceries. I know, right? But it’s true!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Higher interest rates are also bad for landlords and accumulators of capital, so it's not all bad.
The difference is that they can turn the crank on the people under them. Poor people don't have anyone under them they can extract more from.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No we established earlier that we have the bishop's mill to crank.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s amazing that’s it’s a recession caused by supply issues, to which the government are going to hike rates to drive down demand ie make everyone unemployed so they can’t afford anything

it’s going to be interesting how the true blue tories are going to react if they haven’t fixed their mortgage repayments though

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'm sure this comes up every time a polling station opens, but what's the deal with the clipboard rosette brigade who accost you and ask who you voted for when you try to go in? Is it exit polls or turnout metrics or something?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

kecske posted:

I'm sure this comes up every time a polling station opens, but what's the deal with the clipboard rosette brigade who accost you and ask who you voted for when you try to go in? Is it exit polls or turnout metrics or something?

Exit polls. They get the metrics formally later but the polls can be useful in the short term.

I don’t think they’re allowed to ask outright now, but they can give you a piece of paper and ask you if you would tick how you voted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So of course you should always lie, just to annoy them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/healthandthings/status/1522142691978620928?s=20&t=AJFruQZMtgV7CBGcQt3sOg

bit too on the nose reality

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s amazing that’s it’s a recession caused by supply issues, to which the government are going to hike rates to drive down demand ie make everyone unemployed so they can’t afford anything
what do you mean the consumer economy requires people able to consume, this is the fault of those lazy poor people with their big tellies we convinced them to buy and gambling addictions we whipped against legislating

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'm convinced that British Alba reply account is run by a 24/7 team

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"The computer said no."

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1522162594899009538

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Borrovan posted:

I think "how Marxism can be applied to our contemporary society" is a very difficult question, what with post-industrial society not existing in Marx's time. I reckon that attempting to force modern society into a framework into which it doesn't fit is what leads to class reductionism, so you've got all those weirdo old school tankies going around claiming that various progressive causes are a distraction from the class war or w/e & generally getting on everybody's tits. I'm sure a lot of people have written about it, I'd just be vary wary of anyone claiming to have the answer, since it's a very tough question.

Was mulling that theory I posited a while ago about how class these days might be better understood as a person's relationship with the state rather than capital, & it occurred to me that that framework might be able to explain the rise of identity politics, since the state is much more concerned with interfering in people's private business than capital is, meaning that modern "class struggles" are more likely to be between collectives based on race/gender/sexuality & the state than between two distinct economic classes. I still have no idea if you could derive a useful analytic framework from it, it's just an example of something that's difficult to fit within an orthodox Marxist analysis without reasoning backwards/class reductionism

This is anarchism not Marxism. You can separate the thinking by asking why the state does what it does - either it's an independent source of oppression and so you're an anarchist railing against the concept of the state or it's an instrument of class rule and you're a Marxist railing against the ruling class and wanting to seize state power to destroy capitalism.

OwlFancier posted:

Also to be clear before ronya posts a million word argument about LTV being bad, I don't think it accurately describes quantitiative differences of value in society, because many things that require a lot of labour are valued very poorly in society, but I think it is a good framework from the worker's perspective for how we should value things, it works as a moral description rather than as an economic one.

Nah not all labour produces value, only the kinds and levels of labour that are socially necessary, that's the key to Marxist LTV. Purely looking at hours spent or technical efficiency is missing the point that they enter a market and are either sold or not sold - both parts are key to saying what value is produced. It's a better system for determining prices than alternatives and offers an explanation for capitalist crisis that isn't just saying something outside the economy happened and the economy went bad.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Honestly the answer is that they don't factor the poor into their decisions at all. To the point that if everyone earning under 30k died of starvation they wouldn't notice until things like waiters and cleaners stopped existing and they suddenly found there was nobody under them doing any actual work to exploit.

They're really not that bright, ideology blinds them from being economically effective 90% of the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

Nah not all labour produces value, only the kinds and levels of labour that are socially necessary, that's the key to Marxist LTV. Purely looking at hours spent or technical efficiency is missing the point that they enter a market and are either sold or not sold - both parts are key to saying what value is produced. It's a better system for determining prices than alternatives and offers an explanation for capitalist crisis that isn't just saying something outside the economy happened and the economy went bad.

I feel like that runs into issues when CEO labour is absurdly paid but is clearly much easier than a normal job for minimum wage?

Prices don't line up with socially necessary labour time, so LTV doesn't accurately describe the value placed on labour in our currently existing society, but I agree that it should or at least that it is a better moral approximation for the value of labour.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

not votin' today lol

Same. Not that they need my vote in East London anyway.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Red Oktober posted:

Exit polls. They get the metrics formally later but the polls can be useful in the short term.

I don’t think they’re allowed to ask outright now, but they can give you a piece of paper and ask you if you would tick how you voted.

It's not an exit poll, it's a "teller". They really shouldn't be asking you who you voted for as the electoral commission states "Tellers should concern themselves only with checking who is about to vote or has voted."

It's for tracking turnout to try and direct GOTV efforts, although in reality this information is pretty useless in most cases.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

namesake posted:

This is anarchism not Marxism. You can separate the thinking by asking why the state does what it does - either it's an independent source of oppression and so you're an anarchist railing against the concept of the state or it's an instrument of class rule and you're a Marxist railing against the ruling class and wanting to seize state power to destroy capitalism.
It's neither of those things (or rather, it's both). Which is kind of my point, I don't think it's anywhere near as simple as either of those analyses these days, & given how radically different society is from what it was in the 19th century I think that trying to analyse it by reference to 19th century frameworks is oversimplistic & should be approached with caution.

That's not to say that both frameworks don't still have specific applications, there's just a real danger in overstretching them & trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

I would generally say that it's an instrument of class rule but because of that, it is shaped like the class that has held it up until this point and shapes in turn, people who are inserted into it into the thought patterns of that class and affords them power in a similar manner to that class, especially given its role as the enforcer of class oppression though the law and the army and the cops etc, it is not independent of class but it has institutional character which means that merely seizing it can easily end up with it filling a power vacuum left by the elimination of the bourgeoisie and becoming the primary oppressor, because even if the bourgeoisie were gone, without changing the nature of the state you have simply put new people into a position where they now have authority over the enforcement mechanisms built under and for capitalism, and must trust that they do not use them in the same manner.

Which I think marx might also have been getting at because he also wrote later on that you can't simply seize the ready made apparatus of the state, it has instead to be smashed and replaced with something new. I think that's a quite good idea to have looking at previous attempts to take control of the state and use it for good purposes.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like that runs into issues when CEO labour is absurdly paid but is clearly much easier than a normal job for minimum wage?
The difference is the CEO doesn't produce anything, their 'labour' is concentrated on moving the value of the worker's actual labour around and maximising it. It's all capital, they just camoflaged it in the trappings of labour like 'employee' and 'salary.'