Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

I don't know of any Texas distilled whiskeys, good or bad, but if I had to recommend a gift bottle in the $50-$90 range, Barrell would be my suggestion. It's available pretty much everywhere and is actually on shelves, they have a variety of unique characteristics, and they are very tasty.

Their Dovetail and Seagrass bottles are fairly acclaimed and you can buy them right on their website. Might be a bit over $90 with shipping, though.

I've only had Dovetail myself but it's a super interesting bottle. I recommend it for folks who are into barrel finished whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sea grass is a complete anomaly for me. It tastes like…. Something?

e: apparently I’m remembering Armeda. Thats the odd one.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 29, 2022

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Seagrass is a lighter rye with grassy notes, like lemongrass and vanilla. It's very refreshing and I don't even like rye that much.

I love Dovetail though. It's on the sweeter side with lots of fruit notes and smooth finish. It's on the expensive side for a daily drinker but I'll get it when I want a treat.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m really appreciating the Red Breast Lustau right now. More complex than the standard stuff, not as outrageous on the alcohol notes as Cask Strength.

If you like Irish, give this one a shot.

(I also got a line on another Red Spot tonight. Ideally I’ll have it in hand soon.)

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’m really appreciating the Red Breast Lustau right now. More complex than the standard stuff, not as outrageous on the alcohol notes as Cask Strength.

If you like Irish, give this one a shot.

(I also got a line on another Red Spot tonight. Ideally I’ll have it in hand soon.)

I LOVE the Lustau edition.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

My local shop finally got the store pick of Weller Full Proof / blue label they’ve been promising since November. Annoyingly, they required buying a fifth of Yellowstone and a handle of some vodka I’d never heard of to be allowed to buy the Weller — I’ve seen other shops do that but this is the first time this shop has done it. I hadn’t splurged on a bottle in a while though so I went for it.

It’s really good. Wheat sweetness and lots of cherry and vanilla flavors but well-structured and the 114 proof gives it some oomph. Easily one of the best bottles I’ve opened in the last year.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Sea grass is a complete anomaly for me. It tastes like…. Something?

e: apparently I’m remembering Armeda. Thats the odd one.

I really like Seagrass. For me, it’s definitely an apricot flavor on the finish that jumps out at me (which makes sense, since it’s finished in apricot brandy casks)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve been thinking about getting a bottle of Rare Breed. Do you add more water than usual to it or keep it the same?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Lawen posted:

My local shop finally got the store pick of Weller Full Proof / blue label they’ve been promising since November. Annoyingly, they required buying a fifth of Yellowstone and a handle of some vodka I’d never heard of to be allowed to buy the Weller — I’ve seen other shops do that but this is the first time this shop has done it. I hadn’t splurged on a bottle in a while though so I went for it.

Wheatley?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve been thinking about getting a bottle of Rare Breed. Do you add more water than usual to it or keep it the same?

Higher ABV whiskeys will likely want a little bit more water than lower ones, but it’s not like there’s a prescribed ratio or anything. Try a little splash, add if it needs it. I will say that cold water is more effective than room temp or warm water, you can try that too if you haven’t.

With a real hot, high ABV whiskey I’ll do like 1 tsp of cold water in a 2oz glass. That’d be much too much for standard proof for me, but it’s all up to your taste anyway.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Copper 29 (not Element 29) which is just labelled "USA made", "Distilled from grain", and "Bottled by the Brookstone Distilling Company, Louisville, KY". I can't even find a picture of it online but it does seem like Brookstone might be a "Doing Business As" owned by Buffalo Trace/Sazerac. I haven't opened it yet, I expect it's going to be really, really bad.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Lawen posted:

Copper 29 (not Element 29) which is just labelled "USA made", "Distilled from grain", and "Bottled by the Brookstone Distilling Company, Louisville, KY". I can't even find a picture of it online but it does seem like Brookstone might be a "Doing Business As" owned by Buffalo Trace/Sazerac. I haven't opened it yet, I expect it's going to be really, really bad.

That's really strange since usually these bundles are with Wheatley because the distributor wants Wheatley and Fireball sales for allocations

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

That's really strange since usually these bundles are with Wheatley because the distributor wants Wheatley and Fireball sales for allocations

Yeah, when I was working at a liquor store last year we had to keep buying Benchmark and Wheatley or our allocations dropped. We had gallons of that stuff that no one ever bought.

This might just be that the store's buyer took a chance on ordering something that didn't pan out, and they're using the Weller as an excuse to clear out some old stock that isn't moving otherwise.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Went to my buddys to finally grab the bottle of Red Spot he snagged for me and ended up walking out with four wildly different bottles.

(Apologies for the blurry photo)

An Elijah Craig barrel proof store pick (8 years, smells like the inside of a warm cedar sauna).

A Knappogue Castle store pick (a backup to a bottle I already have). Super friendly and drinkable, more character than regular Knappogue.

The Stellum black label. It’s a blend, but I have a store pick of a single barrel that I liked less. The black label runs $100 in Michigan, but the store pick was $60. I don’t think either are worth the price, and I expected the lower shelf Barrell offerings to be more distinct. They’re fine bourbons, but they’re not as unique as Barrell stuff. (Also the packaging sucks and is boring)

Finally the Red Spot. If you know Irish Whiskey you know this stuff. This is officially my backup bottle so that I could feel safe pouring the one I already had. It took me 1.5 years to find the first one and about another year to find the second, so these are for special occasions.

If it counts, I only paid for the Elijah Craig and the Red Spot. My buddy is a very generous guy. I’m gonna pour the Stellum Black tonight and enjoy the taste of free whiskey.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Try it both ways!

Personally I drink Rare Breed without any water, but it's worth figuring out for yourself how you enjoy it the most.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I drink all my 110+ proof stuff neat but I’m also a masochist.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Personally I like 100 proof stuff neat but significantly above that, getting up into real barrel proof range, the tsp or half-tsp of cold water changed the game for me.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Josh Lyman posted:

I drink all my 110+ proof stuff neat but I’m also a masochist.

Same. I don’t begrudge anyone for what they like though. You wanna pour Pappy on coke? Your money my friend.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Drink it how you like, just don't use ice in a glencairn

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Scythe posted:

Personally I like 100 proof stuff neat but significantly above that, getting up into real barrel proof range, the tsp or half-tsp of cold water changed the game for me.

It's good to get an actual idea of how much water people use. A lot of websites say "a splash of water" which doesn't give an idea of how much they're using. A radio program I listened to about Scotch had producers talk about how they like to drink a 1:1 mix of whisky and water, which seems like too much, and some of my partner's family members I used to drink with went way overboard (probably based on the little information they'd read/ heard) and would put a shot of whisky into a large glass and fill it to the top with water.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Drink it how you like, just don't use ice in a glencairn

But why?

Professor Shark posted:

It's good to get an actual idea of how much water people use. A lot of websites say "a splash of water" which doesn't give an idea of how much they're using. A radio program I listened to about Scotch had producers talk about how they like to drink a 1:1 mix of whisky and water, which seems like too much, and some of my partner's family members I used to drink with went way overboard (probably based on the little information they'd read/ heard) and would put a shot of whisky into a large glass and fill it to the top with water.

I typically drink from a rocks glass, and started off with two ice cubes per dram but am down to one now. Funny how tastes change. It drives me absolutely nuts when I order a whiskey out and the glass is 80% ice.l

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
For me ice amplifies the bad flavors in whiskey. If it's too hot I add a little water. It's not a macho thing, just a figuring out what suits your personal tastes thing.

But I also think WT101 has a gross weird burnt sour funk that ruins it, so my taste buds might just be weird.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

"Because it looks loving ridiculous" and unless you have tiny ice balls or crushed ice, it's not going to fit

But seriously, proper glassware for how you like to enjoy your pour is leagues more important than how you take it
If you like ice, use a rocks glass or tumbler. If you don't, then use a glen, other specialized "whiskey glass" , or a wine glass

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Glencairns are a great way to find out that the soap you use has a scent that lingers. Rinse those suckers an extra time.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I sometimes drink mine out of a coffee mug so my neighbors don't know I'm a lowlife.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh, they probably already know.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Did a bit of online shopping:

Ardbeg Uigeadail speaks for itself, and I missed out on a really interesting Ardbeg tasting (including SMWS bottles!) last month, so I had to compensate. I teetered between this and Corryvreckan, maybe I'll get that one next time.

Smith & Cross and Wray & Nephew are mainstays in my liquor cabinet, firm favorites that really give mixed drinks a proper kick.

The Scarabus came highly recommended from a friend, I haven't had the opportunity to taste it yet.

Red Breast 12 Cask Strength is my "if I had to choose one and only one" whiskey. It's just fantastic.

The last two are Danish schnapps. One is apple and thyme, the other is rhubarb and ginger.

The sewing machine is a Pfaff Hobbymatic 807 that is old enough to be "Made in W. Germany".

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 5, 2022

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Has anyone tried Ardbeg Fermutation? One of my local shops has it on clearance, but it’s still a little north of an impulse-bottle I think.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wasn't that supposed to be exclusive to Ardbeg Committee members? I would absolutely jump on that.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Professor Shark posted:

I water most bourbon down to ~100, maybe 105, but it depends on how "hot" it is. Barrell Seagrass (not bourbon) is 120 proof, but I drink it neat. Rare Breed is I think around 116 and I take it down to 100. It's just what you prefer.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Wasn't that supposed to be exclusive to Ardbeg Committee members? I would absolutely jump on that.

Apparently so, somehow I overlooked that before.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

spankmeister posted:

Oh, they probably already know.

I mean they think yeah probably but they don't know for sure.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has the thread discussed Kyrö Malt before? I picked it up because I thought their gin was unique and it might just be because I've never had a 100% rye whiskey before, just Rittenhouse and friends, but I'm having a hard time processing the flavor. It really does just taste like a sweet brown bread with just a little bit of woodiness. Normally I use rye for mixing but aside from maybe trying it in a Manhattan I can't see wanting to mess with the flavor. Also it's loving expensive.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
On a not whiskey note, any of you have any bourbon barrel aged tequilas? My local shop has a private barrel of one(forgot the name), but holy cow is it good. It’s like a good tequila that has a really nice and soft bourbon finish.

I don’t drink a lot of tequila apart from my summer paloma addiction, but that may have to change.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tequila and mezcal are underrated in general. I'm more of a fan of silver tequila because it plays so well with citrus, but barrel-aged tequila can be excellent on its own as well.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

On a not whiskey note, any of you have any bourbon barrel aged tequilas? My local shop has a private barrel of one(forgot the name), but holy cow is it good. It’s like a good tequila that has a really nice and soft bourbon finish.

I don’t drink a lot of tequila apart from my summer paloma addiction, but that may have to change.

Corazon is owned by Sazerac so you can often get private barrels that were aged in Eagle Rare or Even GT Stagg barrels and the like

But on that general topic:
Tequila Ocho and Fortaleza are two of my favorites for all types of tequila expressions

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

KozmoNaut posted:

Did a bit of online shopping:

Ardbeg Uigeadail speaks for itself, and I missed out on a really interesting Ardbeg tasting (including SMWS bottles!) last month, so I had to compensate. I teetered between this and Corryvreckan, maybe I'll get that one next time.

Red Breast 12 Cask Strength is my "if I had to choose one and only one" whiskey. It's just fantastic.
My go-to Ardbeg. Love that stuff. And now I've got to try that Redbreast - hadn't heard of that one but I love the 12 and the 15. And one day I hope to be able to splurge and try a bottle of the 21.

Edit: Just checked the local liquor emporium and they don't see RB cask strength available. But they do have a bottle of 27yr for $650. Brb buying a lottery ticket.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any go to books to learn about mezcal or tequila? Like how Wine Folly or Wine Bible are kinda the go to.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I had a cocktail recently that was mescal, bourbon, luxardo liqueur, and bitters. I started making them at home now. Not sure what it was called at the bar, so I’ve named it “Smoky Death.”

Still tweaking my copycat, but latest iteration is roughly 1.5 oz bourbon, .5 oz mescal, 1 oz. luxardo, and angostura bitters, served over ice.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
A whole oz of maraschino? I can see this being good but just from the spec I’d cut that in half at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Enigma posted:

I had a cocktail recently that was mescal, bourbon, luxardo liqueur, and bitters. I started making them at home now. Not sure what it was called at the bar, so I’ve named it “Smoky Death.”

Still tweaking my copycat, but latest iteration is roughly 1.5 oz bourbon, .5 oz mescal, 1 oz. luxardo, and angostura bitters, served over ice.

Which luxardo? If that’s maraschino that’s waaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyI wish I was on a computer to put more ys too much

e: ^:hmmyes:

The Bandit fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 23, 2022