Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shalebridge is the scariest thing I've ever seen in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Shalebridge is the scariest thing I've ever seen in a game.
How would you rate it in a multiple of System Shock 2 ops deck reveal or the Bloodlines ocean house?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bloodlines Ocean House is an amazing turnaround for me - terrifying first time, hilarious slapstick on replays (with the sound turned down)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shumagorath posted:

How would you rate it in a multiple of System Shock 2 ops deck reveal or the Bloodlines ocean house?

At least five ocean houses.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Thief 3 was one of those games that was lambasted at the time of release. Then Thief 4 came out and everyone was like "No, we're sorry! Go back to the old ways!" and thus Thief 3 became an underrated classic.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The problems with Thief 3 were more Xbox console limitations and engine problems. With the Thief 3 Gold Mod which stitches the levels into one big level like the first two games and redoes the AI pathfinding, it's a really good game. It's not like Deus Ex Invisible War which had much deeper problems with the game than just being designed for consoles at the time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I actually liked DX:IW. Was there ever a mod for that in the vein of the Thief one that opens the levels up?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

r/deusex posted:

TRUE ENDING: Eidos gets sold, they get a new beginning

Embracer CEO: I trust you've been able to find yourself a place within the organization?

Eidos boss: I'm personally overseeing the development of the new Deus Ex game, but it'll still take years to restore the fandom -- we'll have to arrange for additional projects within Legacy of Kain franchise, and maybe Thief as well.

Embracer CEO: All your assets will be utilized, of course.

Eidos boss: Assets?

Embracer CEO: You have a great number of... companies, who in turn own many intellectual properties. Goldmines stacked one in another. They'll need to be resurrected, but we'll never interfere with them directly. We only support. Finance. Market.

Eidos boss: The world must know by now, Lars. What we've done.

Embracer CEO: Know what? Only that the long night is over. The trust of players is tarnished -- but that will fade in time." Augment your pre-order", a fever dream; Avengers; a horrible nightmare; and like everything else that's happened such things will only be dimly remembered upon booting up your new game and seeing Jensen again. In the end, all flops are forgiven. Even yours.

Eidos boss: What about the live service games? And blockchain?

Embracer CEO: Do you really think they want that? After everything you've seen, everything you've done?

Eidos boss: No. They don't.

Embracer CEO: And they hopefully never do. Square have made their own mistakes, became insulated from the industry they sought to abuse. And whatever they might think, your franchises are far from done. They will learn, and you will make them learn even as they buy monkey pictures. This time -- this time we will do it right.

Eidos boss: And who are we? Who are we really?

Embracer CEO: You are Eidos Interactive. Together we are Embracer Group. We acquire before and after. We will acquire forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the day.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Thief 3 was one of those games that was lambasted at the time of release. Then Thief 4 came out and everyone was like "No, we're sorry! Go back to the old ways!" and thus Thief 3 became an underrated classic.

A bit like the Roller Coaster Tycoon games in that regard.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The problems with Thief 3 were more Xbox console limitations and engine problems. With the Thief 3 Gold Mod which stitches the levels into one big level like the first two games and redoes the AI pathfinding, it's a really good game. It's not like Deus Ex Invisible War which had much deeper problems with the game than just being designed for consoles at the time.

I agree with you on all points.

infernal machines posted:

I actually liked DX:IW. Was there ever a mod for that in the vein of the Thief one that opens the levels up?

I wasn't so keen on it, but I would like to know this myself.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wish instead of remasters developers would just resume development on old games. I guess Diablo 2 kinda did this.

If Unreal Tournament 1999 came out with an expansion pack I would buy it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Age of empires 2 did that as well

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Use the Paradox model:

Crusader Kings 2 base game: Apparently free now, but it used to be like $25.

All CK2 DLC: $263.29

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

I wish instead of remasters developers would just resume development on old games. I guess Diablo 2 kinda did this.

Much like the titular game of this thread, I would dig out the copy that came with my SoundBlaster :c00l:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

How many people who are still at Eidos worked on Human Revolution? Hell, how many on Mankind Divided? The video game industry churns through people and burns them out at an incredible rate, and has reliably been able to count on and exploit the fact that they will always have a young new generation of people who want to make games, willing to work lovely contracts for 80 hour jobs. Square Enix is not an exception, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that very few people who worked on the most recent two games would contribute to a hypothetical third.

In short: I'm not so sure I want a new game. Maybe it's time to let the franchise go, and enjoy what we had; and hope that some of the people who worked on the games stayed in the industry and took their experiences to make cool new games.

Yeah, can't wait to see what CliffyB is up to these days...

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I also can't understand the constant clamoring for reheated classics like DX (or UT, for that matter). Deus Ex is still fun because it came out in 2000 when all sorts of weird conspiracy theories and game design ideas were floating around and it combined all of that stuff in a way that was only possible because it came out at that really specific cultural and technological moment. The sequels each did their own thing, but (arguably) ultimately failed to live up to the original despite being much more advanced in their own ways, because they were still tied to that silly hodgepodge of genres and cyberpunk that made zero cultural sense in 2011, or even in post-9/11 2003. The industry-wide tendency to sell rebottled nostalgia to people in their 30s and 40s always thirsty for that hit is understandable because A Familiar IP Means Profits, but chasing the dragon is ultimately a doomed enterprise of diminishing returns.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I think it's more about not expecting to get anything similar to Deus Ex again from AAA unless it is specifically leveraging the Deus Ex license, or maybe going to a spiritual sequel angle like Dishonored to Thief, or even weirder the Prey route of just hollowing out another franchise and shoving an immersive sim inside its skin. If a studio said "we're making Deus Ex 2 and it doesn't carry on the story and is not even thematically or aesthetically linked, we're just using the name to make a game with similar gameplay" I'd be pretty happy because that's ultimately what I want. But either way I think we gotta hope somebody uses the Deus Ex license otherwise there won't again be a similar game. It's not the kind of game AAA likes to just make and push on its own merit.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I did a run-through with GMDX recently.

I had a lot of fun and assumed that the jank I found in the playthrough was oldschool jank, but...nope. it was GMDX.

Weapon balance is all kinds of hosed. Silenced 10mm pistol isn't quite powerful enough to be completely useful, but any other stealth weapon (EG: Crossbow) isn't really useful enough by itself to be a viable option.

The level design absolutely doesn't suit the mantling. They really hosed with lockpick\multitool strength so you never really have enough of either. The new ammo types are pretty goddamn useless (Why the hell are you trying to knock people out with rubber bullets with your shotgun. Come on, if you're running with that fucker, you aint trying to be stealthy or save lives). I feel like they closed\hid alternative routes a bit as well 'cos there were a few things that were different to how I remembered them. The range of the AI is now a bit dumb and I think they hosed with enemy placement in a dumb way as well.

Basically, I like the QOL improvements, but kinda hate all the fuckery they did with the game.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Which version of GMDX did you use? v9 or v10?? It's been a while so I don't remember which one is which but one of them changes way too much poo poo.

e: After looking it up I believe v10 tones down v9s changes a bit

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 5, 2022

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

barbecue at the folks posted:

I also can't understand the constant clamoring for reheated classics like DX (or UT, for that matter)

Well, for me, there isn't a modern game out there that is as good as UT99. If there was, I wouldn't care as much.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

H13 posted:

I did a run-through with GMDX recently.

Weapon balance is all kinds of hosed.

I never noticed this because all I do is stealth non-lethal so all I use is the prod, crossbow and baton anyways. But I am also curious if you used v9 or v10.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I went full lethal blow up everything with very little stealth my playthrough a few months ago with GMDX v10 and didn't have too much trouble. Mantling didn't work (I'm sure I installed it wrong or something) but the other changes seemed good to me and I never felt like I ran out of lockpicks or multitools. Didn't see the rubber bullets for shotguns either so I'm thinking you might have used v9? Honestly even with the nerf to it the dragon tooth sword was still my primary weapon along with the sniper after I got the sword so maybe I just didn't notice some changes.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think people asking for more DX are not necessarily asking for more of the same story told in the same way. They’re asking for games which provide a broad set of abilities to earn through exploration and choose gradually, and great objective-based, Swiss-cheese level design which leaves so much room for creativity with the use of those abilities.

For some reason game devs almost always psych themselves out about this and produce games which complicate things that should be simple and simplify things that should be complicated. Hbomberguy already explains this really well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I literally just want the end of the Jensen games, they were clearly set up for a trilogy. Deus Ex style games too but gimme my third fuckin game. I loved the other two.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I want a game where I can turn into liquid metal nano machines like T2 and slide under doors

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Grand Fromage posted:

I literally just want the end of the Jensen games, they were clearly set up for a trilogy. Deus Ex style games too but gimme my third fuckin game. I loved the other two.

This, so hard. Mankind Divided absolutely deserves a sequel.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

I want a game where I can turn into liquid metal nano machines like T2 and slide under doors
Prey was pretty close :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

brap posted:

I think people asking for more DX are not necessarily asking for more of the same story told in the same way. They’re asking for games which provide a broad set of abilities to earn through exploration and choose gradually, and great objective-based, Swiss-cheese level design which leaves so much room for creativity with the use of those abilities.

For some reason game devs almost always psych themselves out about this and produce games which complicate things that should be simple and simplify things that should be complicated. Hbomberguy already explains this really well.

there's cyberpunk

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

This, so hard. Mankind Divided absolutely deserves a sequel.

Also a prequel to explain what the gently caress was going on at the beginning of the game, but I don't think we're going to get that either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

aniviron posted:

Also a prequel to explain what the gently caress was going on at the beginning of the game, but I don't think we're going to get that either.

There's a novel that covers that so def never would be a game. I hate that poo poo but it is out there if you want to know everything that happened between games. It's not terribly written either, and confirms a bit of speculation in MD.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, both Deus Ex novels aren’t terrible. And if you like those characters in the books, there’s worse ways to spend four hours than playing The Fall.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Thief, if anyone wants to play more Thief I highly recommend checking out The Dark Mod which despite what the name suggests is currently standalone. There's over hundreds of missions that you can download straight from the game itself and the overall quality is very high (at least of those that I played). I was surprised that this was done by modders for free.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wish I could enjoy The Dark Mod but the engine feels lovely to me. There are PLENTY of Thief 2 fan missions out there to keep you occupied if this is the case for you. Right off the bat I would suggest Thief2x, which is basically an entire new Thief game. I will add the caveat that the first level sucks but everything after that is solid gold, on par with or better than Thief 2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wish I could enjoy The Dark Mod but the engine feels lovely to me. There are PLENTY of Thief 2 fan missions out there to keep you occupied if this is the case for you. Right off the bat I would suggest Thief2x, which is basically an entire new Thief game. I will add the caveat that the first level sucks but everything after that is solid gold, on par with or better than Thief 2.

Same. I tried a few and the minor differences just rubbed me the wrong way. It's like playing the crash bandicoot remasters where the physics are slightly different.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Gaius Marius posted:

Same. I tried a few and the minor differences just rubbed me the wrong way. It's like playing the crash bandicoot remasters where the physics are slightly different.

I will second/third this. I wanted to like TDM, but I couldn't. I just bought the Crash remakes on Switch, but I don't know the original games well enough. Thief is another story. Thief2x doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves, in my opinion.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Revision 1.7.1 is out. Patch notes:

• Added an option to save during infolinks (Settings > Revision > Page 2).
• Other poo poo, who cares, did you see the last note

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gaius Marius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJPPS1EpIeY

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Captain Walker posted:

Revision 1.7.1 is out. Patch notes:

• Added an option to save during infolinks (Settings > Revision > Page 2).
• Other poo poo, who cares, did you see the last note

I defend it every time it comes up, so here we are again…Revision is awesome. I know everyone loves GemDicks, but I’m a big fan of how good Revision makes the world look a touch more Cyberpunky. It’s the only way I play Deus Ex anymore.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I personally think Revision's level changes make them worse than the original levels, but I understand others might feel different.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
I'll go to bat for Revision, too. I think the original maps are hard to beat in their mixture of simplicity vs complexity, but I like that the Revision maps lean way harder into complexity. I love just exploring immersive sim worlds and there is a ton of that to be had. And, if nothing else, it's something nice to have to shake things up for this same game I've been playing annually for like 16 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I'll go to bat for Revision, too. I think the original maps are hard to beat in their mixture of simplicity vs complexity, but I like that the Revision maps lean way harder into complexity. I love just exploring immersive sim worlds and there is a ton of that to be had. And, if nothing else, it's something nice to have to shake things up for this same game I've been playing annually for like 16 years.

All of this. And on the same token, I really like the “cyber renaissance” look for the Jenson games, and Revision does a decent job of looking like those games might look when the world turns all dystopian prior to the original Deus Ex.