Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
You might not like it, but this is what affordable housing looks like at peak performance.

quote:

PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) - As rent in parts of the United States becomes out of reach for some, a new concept in California is gaining traction. “Pod living” allows for multiple people to share one home.

The rent for a three-bedroom, two-bath house in Palo Alto, California, could easily run $6,000 to $8,000. But the 14 residents are only paying $800 per month. While they share the kitchen and other spaces, each resident sleeps in a pod a bit larger than a twin bed.

“Our pods are actually eight feet tall, so it gives enough room for bigger people and also some wiggle room, so they’re not like the Japanese capsules. They’re a little bit larger,” said Christina Lennox, the co-founder of Brownstone Shared Housing.

She designed the pods and said she can cocoon in one all day. Each pod is outfitted with a temperature-controlled fan, lighting, a fold-down desk and any personal touches an individual wants to add.

Lennox and co-founder James Stallworth wanted to address the need for affordable housing. They tried to do this in New York but ran into objections. However, Palo Alto doesn’t set a limit on renters in a single-family house. They also found a cooperative landlord.

[...]

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 20:57 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tenements are back baby

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

https://brownstone.live/meet_the_pod

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The OG name is better: Coffin homes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr9XRmWNpfw

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Perfect for small families!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

They call em coffin homes because once one person gets sick, you'll be coffin!

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

this but we won't even get the nutrient goop

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Kreeblah posted:

The OG name is better: Coffin homes

Imagine if the US was one of the largest countries in the world instead of a tiny city state. A man can dream...

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flophouse

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

The Twopenny Hangover. This comes a little higher than the Embankment. At the Twopenny Hangover, the lodgers sit in a row on a bench; there is a rope in front of them, and they lean on this as though leaning over a fence. A man, humorously called the valet, cuts the rope at five in the morning.”
– ‘Down and Out in London and Paris’ George Orwell.’

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

edit: except i=m actually a commie

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
is housing good anywhere in the world

like who's got a good housing market right now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

is housing good anywhere in the world

like who's got a good housing market right now

Chinese ?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lol what

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my house is good

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm sorry its too funny

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

https://www.century21global.com/property/%E9%BB%84%E9%87%91%E5%9F%8E%E9%81%93619%E5%BC%84-shanghai-china-C21126880406-USD

2 million USD for this!! in a city where the PER CAPITA income is $11,000 USD a year!!!! and its just the first thing I clicked on

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
everything in china is good, it says peoples republic right on the label

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Antonymous posted:

https://www.century21global.com/property/%E9%BB%84%E9%87%91%E5%9F%8E%E9%81%93619%E5%BC%84-shanghai-china-C21126880406-USD

2 million USD for this!! in a city where the PER CAPITA income is $11,000 USD a year!!!! and its just the first thing I clicked on

Finally my house is an RV

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Antonymous posted:

Property type: House

Condition: Good

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its also on the 4th floor which as you know gets you a discount

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

people keep fleeing Hungary, I bet that's cheap

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Chinese real estate is hyperfinancialized and the government's stuck in the same trap all governments are which is they can't let boomers take a hit on their property values

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ukraine

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
small apartments in tokyo are reasonably priced considering how good the public transit around them is. at least from looking at real estate websites online

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Ngl one of the things that really irritated me about the “:qq: poor baby can’t go to applebees and olive garden:qq:” discourse around covid was the fact that a lot of ppl in urban areas can’t afford more than a 500 sq ft cubicle (sometimes with roommates) and depend on local private/public indoor spaces for escaping that to socialize

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Home prices increased like 20% over the past year. How uniform is that? Like if you were able to come up with 10% down on a $1M and swing the $5k/mo payments you could sell in a year or two with a substantial windfall. Is there turnover housing data pointing to a segment of buyers treating home purchases as a short term stock trade?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rip Testes posted:

Home prices increased like 20% over the past year. How uniform is that? Like if you were able to come up with 10% down on a $1M and swing the $5k/mo payments you could sell in a year or two with a substantial windfall. Is there turnover housing data pointing to a segment of buyers treating home purchases as a short term stock trade?

you gotta live somewhere, and people tend to move to more expensive places each time

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

while the police are out failing to stop crime i will squat in the police station

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Antonymous posted:

im jealous of how big that kitchen is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

also i think you numbers are out of date. per capita gdp for all of china is around $12,000 per year and shanghai is significantly richer than average china

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yeah it;s more like 27000 now oops

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:cripes:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Casey Finnigan posted:

small apartments in tokyo are reasonably priced considering how good the public transit around them is. at least from looking at real estate websites online

its prob affordable simply because they have the goddamn public infrastructure for it and isn't carcentric

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Chinese real estate is hyperfinancialized and the government's stuck in the same trap all governments are which is they can't let boomers take a hit on their property values

lol owned

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

its prob affordable simply because they have the goddamn public infrastructure for it and isn't carcentric

it’s affordable for a lot of factors, including land use planning at a national level and an economy that has been hosed growth-wise since the late 80s.

there are also issues with insurance and lending on homes that are considered old there but would be still relatively new here. a 10 year old house may not be insurable in Japan, nor may you be able to get a loan for it depending on location I think. people typically buy new builds.
I may be incorrect on details so someone could correct please.

you have to be a citizen tho so you are hosed gaijin.

people who bought property way out of the way back at the peak of the bubble are likely still underwater also which is lol.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The "need to be a citizen to own property" rule is also a thing in Mexico but that doesn't apply if you buy through a trust.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
What's with the bias against older homes in Japan? Is it a construction industry subsidy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Japanese ghost hunters.