Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Sydin posted:

Why do you keep bringing up parliaments?

Because the whipped voting you keep trying to wish into existence for Congress is the way it actually does work for important votes in most Westminster parliaments. Caucus members get told how to vote, and know they'll be expelled (and almost certainly lose the next election) if they defy their party on anything important.

There is nobody who can threaten Democratic representatives and senators with not being able to run in the next election as a Democrat if they don't vote the party line. That is more or less the entire reason why locally popular senators and representatives can openly defy the will of the majority of their caucus, the majority of Democrats, and the majority of Americans—because the party has no way to send them packing.

Manchin voted to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson. Do you think replacing him with a Republican would yield the same result?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

tagesschau posted:

Manchin voted to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson. Do you think replacing him with a Republican would yield the same result?

From where I'm standing, it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

US party politics is confusing to me, is it true that parties can't actually stop someone running under their banner?

Parties in the US are more like governing coalitions in most parliamentary democracies, just the coalitions are formed before elections instead of after, because democracy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sydin posted:

You can claim run as whatever you want, but to actually get printed on the ballot affiliated with your party of choice you generally need to have received a party nomination to do so. The laws very state to state but in a lot of cases this doesn't actually mean that you need to get the state level party folks to officially bless you, it just means you need to submit a petition to be placed on the ballot that has [x] number of verifiable signatures from registered voters of the party you're trying to affiliate with. So yeah if you can get enough rubes to sign you could run declared as party of a party you share zero platforms with, although good luck when the state and national level party will almost certainly extend zero resources to you and plenty to the candidate(s) they've actually blessed.

Has this been used by people trying to run spoiler votes? Get a bunch of people to join a party, then put in a candidate who would split the Dem/Rep vote in close races?

(I'm in Australia, so while we're generally very familiar with the high level structure of your politics, the more local/ground level stuff is often a bit of a mystery)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Senor Tron posted:

Has this been used by people trying to run spoiler votes? Get a bunch of people to join a party, then put in a candidate who would split the Dem/Rep vote in close races?

(I'm in Australia, so while we're generally very familiar with the high level structure of your politics, the more local/ground level stuff is often a bit of a mystery)

Spoiler candidates are a thing in primaries, sometimes they'll even get someone with a very similar name to try to trick people

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

From where I'm standing, it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Great forward thinking.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

What would be Congress' jurisdiction for passing a law protecting abortion rights short of a Constitutional Amendment?

Just tuck it under the 9th Amendment?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Medicare funding

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1522044847254872064?s=20&t=oh6_X_zQ3zgbWM87DQp3rw

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

PeterCat posted:

What would be Congress' jurisdiction for passing a law protecting abortion rights short of a Constitutional Amendment?

Just tuck it under the 9th Amendment?

Interstate commerce.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

(a) you have to do some pretty crazy logical cartwheels to find a right to abortion in the Constitution and .

Eh I don't think they're that crazy or cartwheely. It's pretty straightforward logically that the fourth amendment protections against, say, searches are meaningless if the government can just make anything they want a crime and search your home for that.

We can't go on fishing expeditions searching your house constantly for no reason until we find evidence of a crime. But we can make sex illegal and well hey you're living with your wife and kids well that's probable cause now we can search your house for sex paraphernalia anytime we want, and charge you for other crimes over anything we find. Or eating donuts, are you walking out of your house with crumbs on your shirt, crime in progress don't need a warrant. Or smelling weed.

Some of these examples are pretty wild (although less wild laws that were used as an excuse to gently caress with people were common like laws against homosexuality, or the aforementioned "is that weed I smell"), but the idea that governments can arbitrarily restrict and ban anything they want as long as it isn't mentioned in the constitution by name is also pretty wild.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even if the decision in Roe were the most airtight ironclad decision in Supreme Court history the conservative legal movement would've come up with some bullshit reasoning to overturn it. Alito "deals" (I use the word as loosely as it can possibly be used) with the equal protection argument in like a paragraph. They didn't go after Roe all this time because it was a legally shaky decision they went after it because they hate women.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 5, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even if the decision in Roe were the most airtight ironclad decision in Supreme Court history the conservative legal movement would've come up with some bullshit reasoning to overturn it. Alito "deals" (I use the word as loosely as it can possibly be used) with the equal protection argument in like a paragraph.

Yes, the legal reasoning behind it is irrelevant because it is an expression of political power. The Republicans finally got their reactionary majority so they could get rid of the salami slicing and just get the full repeal they've wanted for the last 50 years. Even if Roe was airtight, they would have just written something like "fetuses have the right to life, liberty, and happiness, therefore Roe is overturned" and it would have the same effect.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GaussianCopula posted:

Interstate commerce.

The feds cannot even force states to accept free money to expand medicaid. They can definitely prohibit states from punishing women who seek abortions in different states, as that is explicitly interstate activity, but they do not have the authority to force states to allow abortion.

Also, :lol: at anything like that ever getting passed when the Hyde Amendment exists.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

vyelkin posted:

Yes, the legal reasoning behind it is irrelevant because it is an expression of political power. The Republicans finally got their reactionary majority so they could get rid of the salami slicing and just get the full repeal they've wanted for the last 50 years. Even if Roe was airtight, they would have just written something like "fetuses have the right to life, liberty, and happiness, therefore Roe is overturned" and it would have the same effect.

Alito's argument is far weaker than the Court's decision in Roe. If it was such a weak foundation you'd think they'd come up with better. But he can't and they don't have to.

https://twitter.com/scottjshapiro/status/1522192925647646722?s=20&t=xmqMm-imsY8AYZ0V9EoOEw

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Groovelord Neato posted:

Alito's argument is far weaker than the Court's decision in Roe. If it was such a weak foundation you'd think they'd come up with better. But he can't and they don't have to.

https://twitter.com/scottjshapiro/status/1522192925647646722?s=20&t=xmqMm-imsY8AYZ0V9EoOEw

https://twitter.com/jaywillis/status/1521874632776634369

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This is how you get people like Lisa Murkowski (JD, Willamette University, 1985, 11 years as a practicing lawyer in Alaska) who still either don't get it or pretend not to get it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I can't believe Republicans are doing the exact thing that we've said for years they'd do the second that Roe was overturned.

As soon as this is challenged in court it's going to get fast-tracked to the SCOTUS so that they can rule "yes actually a fetus is a person" and then the US will have a de-facto nationwide ban on abortion.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Groovelord Neato posted:

I read the summary of the leak that was done by someone a few pages back. In non lawyer speak, what is the flaw in the leaked document's argument?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

The feds cannot even force states to accept free money to expand medicaid. They can definitely prohibit states from punishing women who seek abortions in different states, as that is explicitly interstate activity, but they do not have the authority to force states to allow abortion.

Also, :lol: at anything like that ever getting passed when the Hyde Amendment exists.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous to claim it's originalism or whatever blocking the Democrats from federally protecting abortion rights when they vote for federal restrictions on abortion in every single budget.

I don't think the people voting to keep abortions away from poor women almost every year want to protect abortion rights fam

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MikeC posted:

I read the summary of the leak that was done by someone a few pages back. In non lawyer speak, what is the flaw in the leaked document's argument?

Alito's basic theory is if it isn't expressly listed in the constitution or "deeply rooted in tradition and history" then it can't be a right. This is nonsense and entirely made up (far more than the supposed shaky ground of Roe which draws from multiple different amendments). To Alito, if it wasn't allowed in the late 1700s then it can't be a right now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MikeC posted:

A right not having some long history means it can't be recognized isn't a good argument since it means we never should've given women the right to vote or considered Black people people at the time those rights were recognized. He cites some guys who died over a century before America was even a country. If I'm remembering right it's even the argument made in Dred Scott and the dissent pointed out the canned history was wrong then too since Black people had been recognized as citizens since the founding.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 5, 2022

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

MikeC posted:

In my non-lawyer opinion, the biggest flaw is assuming that any right not in a document written 200+ years ago is not a right you should have.

edit: also, history only applies to American as it was from 1776-1973, or whatever his dumb idea of "history and tradition" is.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Oh, he's also willing to grant "history and tradition" status to English church officials from the 1500s that are on record as witch burners, too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All that plus a dash of "also abortion is special, so the rules don't apply to it and I can make the law whatever I want"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Piell posted:

Alito's basic theory is if it isn't expressly listed in the constitution or "deeply rooted in tradition and history" then it can't be a right. This is nonsense and entirely made up (far more than the supposed shaky ground of Roe which draws from multiple different amendments). To Alito, if it wasn't allowed in the late 1700s then it can't be a right now.

It also outright dismisses historic use of abortion (including in the 1700s) because he's not capable of addressing that while defending his own nakedly political desires.

Groovelord Neato posted:

A right not having some long history means it can't be recognized isn't a good argument since it means we never should've given women the right to vote or considered Black people people at the time those rights were recognized. He cites some guys who died over a century before America was even a country.

That's the point, yes. Return to the days of only white men being able to vote and the GOP gets to firmly establish its desired corporate theocracy since any uprising by the masses will be brutally crushed by our heavily armed and extremely right wing police force (which will also deputize their right wing militia buddies).

The GOP has chosen violence, the Dems have chosen subservience.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

A right not having some long history means it can't be recognized isn't a good argument since it means we never should've given women the right to vote or considered Black people people at the time those rights were recognized. He cites some guys who died over a century before America was even a country.

It doesn't mean that because those rights weren't inferred judicially, they were debated on in society and eventually everyone came to a consensus and amended the constitution to add it which is what originalists say needs to be done for any new right.

Well women's rights were passed that way, black people's right to vote was decided on by the loyal states after the Civil War then imposed on the rebel states by force which is kinda a problem for originalism.

As well that the theory is contradictory. Something can't be in the Constitution unless we all get together as a country and pass an amendment with supermajorities in congress and state governments, but also if something is tradition then it doesn't need to go through that process at and it's just automatically in even though it never had enough consensus to make it into the constitution and a lot of these legal traditions come from a time when almost everybody was excluded from participation in law and government? Why?

It's just conservatism for its own sake. If it's tradition it gets to be implied the constitution because it's old and you have to go through a long difficult process to get it out. If it's not tradition it's automatically out unless you go through a long difficult process to get it in.

So you can't infer a right to abortion because the authors didn't put that in and you can't read in anything they didn't explicitly write. But you can infer that equal protection has an "except gay people" clause because discriminating against gay people is tradition so come on the authors must have meant to put that in there but just forgot or thought it was too obvious to mention or something so we should totally read that in.

Oh weird the stuff I'm reading in or out just happens to align precisely with my personal religious beliefs, huh what a coinkidink, not my fault the founders all agreed with me on everything

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 5, 2022

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

haveblue posted:

All that plus a dash of "also abortion is special, so the rules don't apply to it and I can make the law whatever I want"

He added that little chestnut because he doesn't want his logic to be used to take away rights derived from the due process clause that he actually likes. It's a protection against unforeseen consequences that might affect lovely old white men; he fully intends to use this same argument against other things in the future, at which point they will also become "special cases" because that's just what the supreme court does when they're doing something stupid that they want to pretend is a one time deal -- see also: Bush v Gore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The document is more flaw than reasoning.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Even with a completely arbitrary and meaningless standard Alito managed to gently caress up. The smart folk have noted that in those old laws he cites, the anti-abortion laws didn't apply pre 'quickening' (~mid 2nd trimester). Meaning his cites literally contradict the argument!

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 5, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

How is it not already? SCOTUS is not supposed to be unchecked and unbalanced.

In what way is SCOTUS unchecked? All they've done is overrule themselves, it's not like Congress passed a law on abortion. Just like Congress could pass a new VRA but chooses not to. Democrats refuse to use the tools at their disposal because of imaginary limits from "legitimacy", presumably because setting a precedent of Congress doing things would raise uncomfortable questions about inaction on other issues. There's no constitutional crisis conflict, SCOTUS is just filling the power vacuum left by Democrats.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't believe Republicans are doing the exact thing that we've said for years they'd do the second that Roe was overturned.

As soon as this is challenged in court it's going to get fast-tracked to the SCOTUS so that they can rule "yes actually a fetus is a person" and then the US will have a de-facto nationwide ban on abortion.

I don’t see how fetal personhood would necessitate that? States define murder including what constitutes justified homicide on their own. Maybe congress could do some fuckery with the civil rights legislation that gives the feds a “second shot” at otherwise state murder charges?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

In what way is SCOTUS unchecked? All they've done is overrule themselves, it's not like Congress passed a law on abortion. Just like Congress could pass a new VRA but chooses not to. Democrats refuse to use the tools at their disposal because of imaginary limits from "legitimacy", presumably because setting a precedent of Congress doing things would raise uncomfortable questions about inaction on other issues. There's no constitutional crisis conflict, SCOTUS is just filling the power vacuum left by Democrats.

I'm as dems useless as they come but how do you craft voting rights legislation with preclearance which Roberts won't just overturn without a constitutional reasoning like he already did. Shelby County is about as blatant a "we won gently caress you" as any Supreme Court decision can be. I would've liked the Democrats to force the Court's hand but even if they did they'd just go "oh ok" once Roberts did it again.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 5, 2022

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

hobbesmaster posted:

I don’t see how fetal personhood would necessitate that? States define murder including what constitutes justified homicide on their own. Maybe congress could do some fuckery with the civil rights legislation that gives the feds a “second shot” at otherwise state murder charges?

I may be wrong about this, but a federal fetal personhood acknowledgement would supersede the states' own rights to work around it. For the US, a justifiable homicide is a pretty well-defined thing, and you need to meet specific criteria that wouldn't really be reachable without some egregious reading.

But I guess, comedy option, one could justify the homicide of a fetus on the merits that it would be committing property damage to the uterus it was inhabiting? :v:

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Castle doctrine for the uterus!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's not a constitutional crisis in the most technical sense, the constitution gives us clear guidance on how to get out of this situation. But it is definitely a crisis that our society has reached a point where that guidance cannot realistically be implemented. The constitution is going to self-destruct because it let the government be taken over by a cross-organ alliance that doesn't respect it

Ershalim posted:

But I guess, comedy option, one could justify the homicide of a fetus on the merits that it would be committing property damage to the uterus it was inhabiting? :v:

You could make trespass a capital offense if the site of the crime was a uterus

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Congress shouldn't need to pass a new VRA because Congress is explicitly the ultimate authority on voting rights, not the SCOTUS. Passing a new VRA that the GOP doesn't like would also result in it being struck down by this SCOTUS and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool at best.

hobbesmaster posted:

Because without laws at the State and Federal level that explicitly state abortion is legally permissible homicide every abortion will by default be a murder. Even if a blue state passes a law protecting abortion it's still going to be aggressively prosecuted at the Federal level by Republican administrations and since there's no statute of limitations on murder, that means even if the Dems don't lose the WH in 2024 if they lose it in 2028 the Republican who comes into office could still go back and prosecute everyone who'd performed an abortion over the prior years.

There is precisely zero chance of a Federal law ever being passed that protects abortion service in this way. There isn't a pro-choice majority in either chamber of Congress and the usual garbage Dems have already made it clear they will not kill the filibuster for this. After the midterms the Dems are unlikely to have a majority in the Senate for the foreseeable future, if ever due to voting restrictions the GOP continue to aggressively implement. Their current majority is only due to an absolutely fluke and Trump managing to self-sabotage the party in the GA runoff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

There is precisely zero chance of a Federal law ever being passed that protects abortion service in this way. There isn't a pro-choice majority in either chamber of Congress and the usual garbage Dems have already made it clear they will not kill the filibuster for this. After the midterms the Dems are unlikely to have a majority in the Senate for the foreseeable future, if ever due to voting restrictions the GOP continue to aggressively implement. Their current majority is only due to an absolutely fluke and Trump managing to self-sabotage the party in the GA runoff.

Sure but California would probably pass that law.

Not certain about any other state though, even “blue super majority” states like NY and Illinois have a lot of anti choice democrats in government.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

haveblue posted:

It's not a constitutional crisis in the most technical sense, the constitution gives us clear guidance on how to get out of this situation. But it is definitely a crisis that our society has reached a point where that guidance cannot realistically be implemented. The constitution is going to self-destruct because it let the government be taken over by a cross-organ alliance that doesn't respect it

That's not a constitutional crisis, that's just a flaw in a constitution rooted in ancap libertarian principles. It's basically the constitution working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Fetal Personhood is also a de-facto ban on IVF and embryo donation.

Vahakyla posted:

Great forward thinking.

If you're going to have to burn the house down to fix it putting up new wallpaper first doesn't do anything.