Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
ive been cc'd by a blm! its annoying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the blms i fought in crystal pre-patch near-exclusively used Ice. i can't comment on post-patch though since I haven't played much, i imagine Fire is a lot more desirable now

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
blm crowd control is powerful! the root is average, but it can be applied twice, much more quickly than any other job can reapply crowd control effects. blms get a lot more dangerous at higher ranks, where they're smart enough to bait out purify with the first super flare and then reapply freeze when it'll actually be a problem for their target. as a dragoon, i went from totally ignoring the threat of blms in plat and lower to having to play carefully around them in diamond

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Twibbit posted:

Not in CC.

Anyways for Ice in CC, it is your cc... hah. Using super flare on people with stacks of ice stuns them briefly and roots them in place. May not seem like much but considering you can give lots of people stacks easily and superflare hits multiple people even through walls, you can really disrupt a burst hase with it by rooting them in place ever few seconds. Especially in LB phase

oh duh I'm really stupid and forgot CC was PvP I thought it was just some PvE thing I was forgetting. Yea, this. Ice make people stop moving.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Dragongem posted:

I'm now the king of second place frontlines, I've gotten 11 of my last 15 in second place

I thought plat was hard, but getting 10 wins in frontline for the mount is apparently nearly impossible

I don't recall seeing a tie in frontlines before but I got one today for my final win :smug:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Nobody wanted it so I got the Ninja body from Aglaia. I'm feelin cute

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just noticed that in the new alliance raid, for the trash fight against two enemies they jump over each others' AoEs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Ice as BLM in CC not in the least because you can apply it hilariously fast. Swiftcast and Paradox both make it trivial to build up 3 stacks on a single target.

And a big big thing about CC that people don't always focus on is that if you can kill one person quickly then you probably win the teamfight and possibly the game. 4x5 goes negative REAL quickly,

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

And a big big thing about CC that people don't always focus on is that if you can kill one person quickly then you probably win the teamfight and possibly the game. 4x5 goes negative REAL quickly,

Absolutely. I've started getting the hang of silencing people who overextend just before they start to heal, and rode a 6-win streak into Gold and almost straight through to Plat.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
ugh nevermind, just remembered theres a room that you need to enter in the Archer's guild.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, I’m well aware of this fact.

*stares blankly as I watch another Dragoon throw himself into the enemy back line, fails to get defence up, and gets blown up*

This is fine.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Oh, I’m well aware of this fact.

*stares blankly as I watch another Dragoon throw himself into the enemy back line, fails to get defence up, and gets blown up*

This is fine.

the sad truth is that if you see a warrior or paladin or dragoon or whoever go for a suicidal play like that, you have to back them up. Best case scenario is your team follows suit and the bad play turns into a proper teamfight. worst case is you can't save the dumbass and they die too quickly for you to help, but you'll still have a chance to extricate yourself after. If you just stand there and gawk at them, you're giving up a huge advantage for absolutely nothing

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What kind of investment am I looking at if I want experience all the story content of Eureka and Bozja?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

What kind of investment am I looking at if I want experience all the story content of Eureka and Bozja?

Leveling to max level in each zone and doing the raids (this includes baldesion arsenal but these days you are probably better off watching a YouTube video instead of finding a group for it if only wanting to do it for story)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Samael posted:

Leveling to max level in each zone and doing the raids (this includes baldesion arsenal but these days you are probably better off watching a YouTube video instead of finding a group for it if only wanting to do it for story)

Goddamn 56 people :eyepop:

But lol at no rezzing and Absolute Virtue being there, I'll pass.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

One of these days I'll suck it up and actually actively ask people if they want to do Castrum Licus Latore with me...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BA is not particularly hard to go through, there are entire discord communities dedicated to teaching newbies how2Baldesion for all the various DCs.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's annoying but the challenge logs make it pretty easy.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Alxprit posted:

One of these days I'll suck it up and actually actively ask people if they want to do Castrum Licus Latore with me...

You only need like 8 people with the Echo buff.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I just did random queues for the Bozja raids is that not doable for Eureka? I just got to level like 45

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Super No Vacancy posted:

I just did random queues for the Bozja raids is that not doable for Eureka? I just got to level like 45

If you're on Elemental they're always randomly going into BA. Same with Materia.

No clue on how the American or European DCs do it, but they might have a Discord.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There’s only one raid in Eureka, and it’s right at the end, and you absolutely need to have a coordinated group to do it.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
there's two discord communities on primal specifically for helping people progress through eureka (and to a lesser extent bozja). between the two they run 4-10 learning runs/week that'll take you from zero experience to potentially clearing BA on your first attempt.

your biggest blocker for progressing bozja will be the instance delubrum reginae. it's in a weird place right now, but your best bet getting a clear is to check party finder for groups or try to ask for help in your server's bozja/eureka discords.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I decided to try out PLD in CC, since back in SWTOR I played Guardian/Juggernaut. It fills largely the same role: act as a spare healthbar for your team, hold objectives, and disrupt the other team. You only have one stun (compared to SWTOR's... lots), but your sustain makes you very good at being the second health bar. Furthermore, your LB is a teamfight turner. You become invulnerable, and nearby allies get 50% DR. This and your damage-sharing tether, Guardian, mean you are a force multiplier and anchor for your team. You also have enough sustain that Guardian isn't a death-sentence.

It's subject to some of the same teamplay problems of course; your LB is WAY less effective if you're not brawling on the crystal, and people need to be aware that the tether means they are no longer taking damage. But those teamplay moments are that much more powerful with a PLD around to soak damage and give their LB.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

BA is not particularly hard to go through, there are entire discord communities dedicated to teaching newbies how2Baldesion for all the various DCs.

Yeah Crystal still has multiple newbie friendly runs per day at least, next one is in 2.5hr

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Trying new classes on pvp! I feel like I understand what to do with BRD but my damage is always low overall. Assists are very high, kills are decent, have no problem slapping out of position people, whenever melee dive I greet them with a slap and a silence. Am I being too cautious with my focused shooting for consistent output or is "no big gently caress off damage LB but loads of passive aura support" just going to lead to a feeling of lowish damage?

Conversely SCH reminds me of my spirit animal from WoW PvP, Afflock, and even if it's in FL getting the big damage number makes my soul warm. I could probably use pointers here though it's very, very intuitive.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Re: Bard, it's honestly impossible to tell without seeing actual gameplay and analyzing it very carefully. You're right in that a lot of Bard's damage is loaded into LB buff and their actual burst is not amazingly high outside of it, but a lot of it could also just be getting zoned out or not having enough distance for Powerful Shot spam to be consistently damaging. Getting high kills is a good sign though, cause it might be implying good Silence timing or good target prioritization.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Doomykins posted:

Trying new classes on pvp! I feel like I understand what to do with BRD but my damage is always low overall. Assists are very high, kills are decent, have no problem slapping out of position people, whenever melee dive I greet them with a slap and a silence. Am I being too cautious with my focused shooting for consistent output or is "no big gently caress off damage LB but loads of passive aura support" just going to lead to a feeling of lowish damage?

Conversely SCH reminds me of my spirit animal from WoW PvP, Afflock, and even if it's in FL getting the big damage number makes my soul warm. I could probably use pointers here though it's very, very intuitive.

When I play monk on frontlines I'll get half a dozen to a dozen kills and generally about the same number of assists. When I'm playing bard, I'll get 1/3 to 1/2 the kills I get as a monk, but I get 2-3x the assists.

Bard as originally envisioned in FFXIV was a super support class. They had healer lb3, for example, but also had the lowest DPS. PVP bard is very much like the original bard. You're not going to get a ton of kills, and you're rarely going to take down another player solo, but you will get assists in droves if you're playing right. They track assists because they matter as well.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I've been doing some BA runs lately on Primal, with both discord servers. There's usually a couple people who get black hole'd out, but I'm yet to see a run that didn't finish. For one of them we were even down a whole party! Pretty sure BA boss HP scales with the number of players inside BA anyway; but point being you don't actually need the full 56 players for it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Alxprit posted:

when i did a CLL on a lark yesterday, 20-ish people signed up. seems like the xp increase on it might actually be appreciable in coaxing people into doing it?

and yeah, Baldesion Arsenal in Eureka isn't so bad. as people mentioned there's plenty of discords that organise learning runs, and in my experience the cast majority of those clear first try. even the "no rezzing penalty" is a bit overblown since there are methods to rez people aside from the final boss. only issue is that between forming parties, waiting for BA to pop up, and actually running BA, you're looking at a good 90+ minute commitment so you gotta set some time aside for it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like the fact there's nothing else in the game like BA is actually a blessing for it at this stage. Because yeah, there's a reason the devs only did that once, but if you're someone who enjoys old-school MMO raiding complete with the weirdly high failure cost, BA will never be usurped or replaced.

For me it brings back memories of Hamidon raids from City of Heroes. Yeah, Hamidon wasn't the most fun part of the game by a long shot, but there's something about a group that big coordinating an attack successfully against such a huge foe that you just don't get in games after that era of MMOs.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I definitely recommend doing eureka and BA at least once. the BA organizers are also pretty nice, and if you do happen to get unrezable or get sucked out by ozma, they will usually offer to prefill you on the next run.

BA is super daunting at first, but the groups who organize them run a tight ship. it's more like a theme park raid at this point.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Completely agree, BA should only exist as its own thing not just because holy poo poo was that not fun for a large amount of players, but for the ones it WAS fun for it was pretty much exactly what they wanted so trying to 'top' it would be nothing but frustration for everyone involved, player and dev.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I would do BA if it was its own standalone thing but leveling to max in eureka can gently caress right off.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
And if you're a newbie they actively require you to bring multiple reraises. The no raising thing basically only applies to unprepared people

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

mechanically BA bosses are about as tough as the average alliance dungeon, but obv the no raise/dice roll reraise is what makes it hard. I'll echo what everyone else has said about communities being set up on various datacenters to help set up runs, and they do help, from providing instruction to calling out boss mechanics for you.

I've gone on and off on the different groups over the years and while I've seen the occasional wipe they're always a good time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I went through Eureka to get to BA and specifically get the Ozma mount and I joined the BA discord for my DC (Chaos) and it was really helpful in terms of what to expect and how organised it was. So I would recommend it. The only real issue is leveling, although there are a few tricks to get really quick leveling, as well as making things easier for everyone. I think the only real hurdle is Pagos, which is long, boring, difficult in parts and doesn't really have many fast-leveling options, since you don't have the Eureka-specific actions yet.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I did it! I caught the Nepto Dragon and beat the fishing boss. :unsmith:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I still want some of the Eureka armor, but I'm not sure how far into Pyros I have to advance (I unlocked it and haven't progressed much into it) and I'm pretty sure I need to finish a Pagos weapon, which means going back to get ... cauldron light or whatever it was.

Eureka isn't so bad now with the nerfs and the echo and the weekly challenge logs but I did not enjoy it at all at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cleretic posted:

For me it brings back memories of Hamidon raids from City of Heroes. Yeah, Hamidon wasn't the most fun part of the game by a long shot, but there's something about a group that big coordinating an attack successfully against such a huge foe that you just don't get in games after that era of MMOs.

haven't thought about punching a volcano-sized nucleus in the face for a hot minute