Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr Hootington posted:

You need to do some earles

Whats that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

A lot of weapons need screws and i do not want to waste screws, because yea i have places i can farm them, they're still precious and you need a fuckton to repair your armor.

I figured I had all the combat rifle mods, guess i'll keep scrapping them. I've seen The Fixer in some camp stores and wondered what it was. Speaking of that, i love the disparity of prices. Sometimes you go and the prices are super low, like i got the Stimpack plan for 10caps from one guy and the next time i saw it, the player was selling it for 5000 caps. I'm going to guess that some plans just never appear because I've never seen a plan for any building sets not in a game vendor. I should just save my money and buy the brick one from the station vendors, or find Gram and buy it from him.

I thought I had found a new melee weapon to replace the one i'd had for ages, and then I noticed it weight 20 and well, gently caress that. So i've been stuck with a legendary pipe wrench that barely does any damage.

You can check on any weapons workbench how many mods you've unlocked. "xx/yy of mods" or something right at the top of the crafting lists.

The Fixer is, basically, a Combat Rifle that hits harder and comes with a Stealth bonus.

For plans, always check https://fed76.info/plans/ here first. Usually anything at or under the prizes listed on there is ok, above it is a rip off. This is also good to check if a plan you've gotten from an event might be rare.

Or ask on the Discord. I have a ton of plans and I'm not the only one. :)
I think I got the Brick set plan as a spare. I tend to buy plans or bulk junk whenever I hit the max and every now and again I just want to buy something that's not as expensive as the mutation serum recipes.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

A Colossal Problem. A public event that can only happen when you drop a nuke on Monongah Mine. Everything in there drops Screws as loot. Just murder as many peanuts as you can and keep them distracted while the higher levels melt the fatass in command. Bring a hazmat suit or PA because you will be spawned inside a nuke zone after the event is over and if you aren't fast enough with fast travelling away or springting to the border of the nuke zone, you die.

Do not do this event alone, you will not succeed. Not at your level.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sensenmann posted:

A Colossal Problem. A public event that can only happen when you drop a nuke on Monongah Mine. Everything in there drops Screws as loot. Just murder as many peanuts as you can and keep them distracted while the higher levels melt the fatass in command. Bring a hazmat suit or PA because you will be spawned inside a nuke zone after the event is over and if you aren't fast enough with fast travelling away or springting to the border of the nuke zone, you die.

Do not do this event alone, you will not succeed. Not at your level.

Oh that, i only ever see people nuke the cranberry bog so i've fought the scorch queen a few times. Well, the players at level 200+ fight her, i sit there with my hunting rifle or 10mm pistol plinking her so i can get loot and xp from it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Oh that, i only ever see people nuke the cranberry bog so i've fought the scorch queen a few times. Well, the players at level 200+ fight her, i sit there with my hunting rifle or 10mm pistol plinking her so i can get loot and xp from it.

I'm not sure this has been changed with the recent updates but if you aren't getting 4 random Flux and some improved repair kits, the damage threshold still exists. You need to deal somewhere between 1000 and 1500 damage to get those so a full auto is a much better idea.

The Flux you get, while not necessarily useful for you yet, can be sold to other players. Or hoard it and ask a high level to craft you a bunch of serums. Most will do this, no questions asked, as long as you provide the Flux it takes.

The repair kits solve your repair issues. ;)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sensenmann posted:

I'm not sure this has been changed with the recent updates but if you aren't getting 4 random Flux and some improved repair kits, the damage threshold still exists. You need to deal somewhere between 1000 and 1500 damage to get those so a full auto is a much better idea.

The Flux you get, while not necessarily useful for you yet, can be sold to other players. Or hoard it and ask a high level to craft you a bunch of serums. Most will do this, no questions asked, as long as you provide the Flux it takes.

The repair kits solve your repair issues. ;)

Repair kits are one of those things i'm terrified of using because maybe i'll need them later! And why i'll have over 100 when i stop playing.

I was looking at a map of West Virgina, looking at the real world locations relative to the game map, using Charleston as the starting point. I know Flatwoods is a real place because I love the Flatwoods monster, but I don't see it anywhere near Charleston. Nor Grafton or Morgantown. Also I love that the Raiders came from Ohio, fitting.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Screws are a concern up to a point but once you've got a couple hundred and a crafting build that reduces the resources needed to repair you'll probably not be wanting for them.

I have a stealth commando / joat build for solo farming and missions, a crafting / building / repair build for when I'm at camp or whitesprings, and a team build that's pa, heavy guns, and charisma perk debuffs for running events or dailies.

Is really situational on which resources are necessary. I see a lot of redditors saying you only need to hold 100 steel max but I've gone through about 400 steel in the last 4 days crafting plasma cores to shoot aliens and I'm definitely not making it back on the loot from this event.

If you find your stash filling up and need to make some room, don't forget to bulk your aluminum and lead for storage. You get something like a 50 percent weight reduction on bulk aluminum and lead vs the equivalent in loose scrap. Only bulk other junk if you're going to sell it to vendors, some bulk items actually increase weight instead of reducing.

E: something else to consider: you can't pound chems in 76 like you can in other fallouts because only one at a time can be active so don't dump a big pile of drugs in your stash. You probably won't use them and they take a surprising amount of room.

titties fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 2, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've done any builds, my perk selection is mostly based on "how light can i make my load" "how can i do more damage" "How can i stay alive". I've grabbed a few others that are useful, like decreasing the cost of fast travel and increasing the amount i get for selling items, but i know eventually caps won't be an issue so i'd replace those.

I'm at the cusp of 50 so i"ll be getting my first legendary soon, so that will be fun.

And holy poo poo I had no idea stash space was weight. That explains why i can jam as many notes and holos as I want in it, but i can loose all my space dumping junk in there. Didn't know that bulking some stuff actually makes it worse. I'm always hitting the 1200 cap. I already learned I do not like 4000 steel scrap. I hope whomever came across it in Morgontown station could use it.

I never use chems, because winners don't do drugs. I'd rather sell them for monies.

titties
May 10, 2012

That's how it was for me when i started and i didn't want to bother with multiple builds at all i just wanted one good all around build like the ones i use in single player fallout games.

Unfortunately it became necessary, at least for me. Otherwise i was never able to do enough damage while adventuring or craft enough ammo to sustain myself.

There's a pretty steady difficulty curve between like level 30 - about 55. After that you might find things becoming a lot spongier and hitting easy harder, especially during events. Everything had been smooth sailing for a long time, and then suddenly i was dying to bloodbugs or like 2 ghouls and burning all my ammo.

My builds are terrible because i still spread too thin to be really effective but at least i am not dying to the same 2 bloodbugs + a legendary wendigo encounter 5 times in a row trying to farm ballistic fibers at fort kickass or whatever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i noticed poo poo got really hard in my 40s (just like real life!) and i notice any rpg has a hump you need to get through.

God drat I hate when i have to move my camp. Its so fustrating finding a decent place where my house will fit. Its not even that big but theres always a tree or a rock in the way.

And i made it to 50, and i got the master infiltrator perk as my first legendary. I had enough junk perks to scrap it to make it level 2 from the start. I can now clear out my regular perks from the lockpicking and hacking perks i guess.

I realized that i had been spending all my time farming materials and not bothering with quests, so i decided i'll just stick with on questline and decided on the Brotherhood quest. Just did the one where you go to the Enclave Bunker. Every time i went into a room i was just thinking "oh god what are they going to throw at me next?". So many scortched.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

titties posted:

E: something else to consider: you can't pound chems in 76 like you can in other fallouts because only one at a time can be active so don't dump a big pile of drugs in your stash. You probably won't use them and they take a surprising amount of room.

That's not entirely true. Chems that affect the same SPECIAL stat, provide a buff to the same kind (damage increase, damage resist, etc.) or share the same "family" don't work together.

Bufftats, Buffout, Psychobuff, Psychotats, Mentats (all kinds) don't work together. Only the last one taken counts and the effects of the previous two go straight into the void.

Overdrive, Med-X and X-Cell, for example, work together. Basically, a select view work together, a vast majority won't.

It's honestly a good thing we can't stack chems anymore. The amount of damage you could dish out when we could still stack ALL the chems was insane. One shotting the Queen with a Melee build was pretty much the norm.

It's the same rules for booze and food.

I think the only exception is Liquid Courage due to its unique immune to Earle screams buff which puts it in some kind of special group.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They gave away some facepaint in the store, but i can't figure out how to apply it.

And there really is nothing better than a server were everyones just hopping from event to event. Do a invaders from afar, then campfire tales, then Mam Dolce's. Great for Xp and loot, but i really wish it would stop giving me legendary raider power armor parts and utterly junk legendary weapons. Ooh a .44 pistol that does extra damage when i'm drunk, yea i'll use that sure. Into the recycler you go. And a lead pipe that does extra damage to animals, wow, I'll keep the Oathkeeper for my melee weapon for now.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

They gave away some facepaint in the store, but i can't figure out how to apply it.

And there really is nothing better than a server were everyones just hopping from event to event. Do a invaders from afar, then campfire tales, then Mam Dolce's. Great for Xp and loot, but i really wish it would stop giving me legendary raider power armor parts and utterly junk legendary weapons. Ooh a .44 pistol that does extra damage when i'm drunk, yea i'll use that sure. Into the recycler you go. And a lead pipe that does extra damage to animals, wow, I'll keep the Oathkeeper for my melee weapon for now.

For the face paint you need to log into a world, open the menu and look for Change Appearance. It's under Extras, I think.

Also, I like getting PA parts. Fills the scrip machine faster. Put any extras on an empty frame and keep that for later. I have 3 Scrip frames. :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sensenmann posted:

For the face paint you need to log into a world, open the menu and look for Change Appearance. It's under Extras, I think.

Also, I like getting PA parts. Fills the scrip machine faster. Put any extras on an empty frame and keep that for later. I have 3 Scrip frames. :)

There it is.

Ugh I though it was more Furiosa but its more like i fell face first into a puddle of mud.

I discovered that mannequins are not a findable plan or even a reward or something, they have to be bought from the atomic shop. That annoying because they are very expensive.

I'm getting to the point where almost every plan i find in other players stores I already now. Which is fine, because it means my caps keep growing. Eventually I'll be able to buy some of the more expensive stuff from the regular venders, like the brick and metal building sets. Though I'm confused by how big some players camps are. I strugged to find space for my new alien tube, ended up pulling up my mutfruit plants to make room, but I see these massive camps with sprawing buildings and tons of decorations like its nothing.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

There it is.

Ugh I though it was more Furiosa but its more like i fell face first into a puddle of mud.

I discovered that mannequins are not a findable plan or even a reward or something, they have to be bought from the atomic shop. That annoying because they are very expensive.

I'm getting to the point where almost every plan i find in other players stores I already now. Which is fine, because it means my caps keep growing. Eventually I'll be able to buy some of the more expensive stuff from the regular venders, like the brick and metal building sets. Though I'm confused by how big some players camps are. I strugged to find space for my new alien tube, ended up pulling up my mutfruit plants to make room, but I see these massive camps with sprawing buildings and tons of decorations like its nothing.

Some camps seems larger than they are, because people use the space very well without using high budget camp objects or build near/around existing world structures. The building perimeter itself is a sphere, centered on where you initially place the camp, so you can build really tall camps if you place it on top of a tree, power line or middle of a cliffside.

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 5, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
One of my first camps in 76 was on top of a cliff and every time I spawned in or fast travelled back, it was a 3 minute hike back up to my camp.

I moved to a place with a lead extractor point and haven't hosed with mountain top camps since. Sure, there's a deathclaw spawn near me now, but it beats wasting time hopping around on cliffs like an idiot.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I had a camp out in the acid flats for a while that would be within range of the Grafton Monster spawn, so my turrets would aggro it and I'd only have to shoot it once or twice to get loot.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

There it is.

The Mannequins were a season reward. Season 4, I think.

As for big camps:

I think the biggest budget eaters are billboards. Turrets used to be up there as well but that's been patched to a more reasonable amount.

Next are crops and water purifiers, any resource producing gadgets, really. This includes the Brahmin.

Lights, foundations, floors and roofs are next.

Everything else makes only small dents to the budget.

In other words, if you have a base with a large footprint, a big garden, a lot of lights and the max of 10 turrets, your camp budget is maxed before you even get to decorating anything.

Take a look around in those massive camps and you'll notice how most of the big budget killers are either missing completely or are only used in small amounts.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

One of my first camps in 76 was on top of a cliff and every time I spawned in or fast travelled back, it was a 3 minute hike back up to my camp.

I moved to a place with a lead extractor point and haven't hosed with mountain top camps since. Sure, there's a deathclaw spawn near me now, but it beats wasting time hopping around on cliffs like an idiot.

Your fast travel point in is usually in a direction north of where you've placed the CAMP device down. You can kinda tune in your spawn point by moving the CAMP around your camp, though it's never perfect.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Taerkar posted:

I had a camp out in the acid flats for a while that would be within range of the Grafton Monster spawn, so my turrets would aggro it and I'd only have to shoot it once or twice to get loot.

Reminds me of my Fallout 4 runs - some settlements were great for nearby enemy spawns that either were within aggro range (if you built out to the farthest edge) or were within aggro range of the trade/provisioner cavavans.

<fast travel to the Slog>

"Hey, big fight going on... oh, it's just the Forged from the ironworks coming out to kill a caravan, got within range of a turret and now they're getting slaughtered trying to kill *that*. Oh well, gonna do some stuff, go out and loot the corpses after it's over."

(Optional: replace "Forged" with "ferals".)

It got really silly when I added a mod that, among other things, let me build turrets using Liberty Prime's laser - yeah, the enemies would be murdered badly, but the splash damage would aggro the merchants so they'd come at the settlement, too.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Before building, place the camp then fast travel away and back to check your spawn point. Keep moving the CAMP till you get an acceptable one.

They have that spawn rug you can use for workshops, no idea why they won't allow them in camps

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm too lazy to move off the lead mining point now. And I don't play much anymore. Sometimes I'll move my second camp around, but I never really put any time into it. I think that one is set up down near the queen anyhow, so it's just platforms, turrets, and a bunker door.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

World Famous W posted:

They have that spawn rug you can use for workshops, no idea why they won't allow them in camps

Trap Camps.

edit: With workshops someone can just take it and start destroying the trap. with a camp, youre stuck in the trap until you die.

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 6, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought maybe some stuff in your camp took up more space than others. I Mary Kondo'd mine pretty harshly, but i have way more space for fun stuff.

My normal place for farming ammo bags is not giving me enough anymore, so i went to fort defiance as that's supposed to be the best place. All i found there were ghouls and a wendigo. Not a single thing that gives you ballistic fiber. Maybe I went to the wrong place? Also it doesn't look like it was occupied by the BoS inside, just lots of depressing insane asylum stuff.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I thought maybe some stuff in your camp took up more space than others. I Mary Kondo'd mine pretty harshly, but i have way more space for fun stuff.

My normal place for farming ammo bags is not giving me enough anymore, so i went to fort defiance as that's supposed to be the best place. All i found there were ghouls and a wendigo. Not a single thing that gives you ballistic fiber. Maybe I went to the wrong place? Also it doesn't look like it was occupied by the BoS inside, just lots of depressing insane asylum stuff.

Fort Defiance has 9 bags. This video lists the top farming spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fuziLVkqaE

You also want to keep an eye open for Military Grade Duct Tape, that gives BF as well.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/3HgvLt86M79e9e9f3NwcK3/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-launch-your-own-expedition-in-the-pts

First proper look at the PTS Pitt. Looks good so far, I like that they went with union boys vs raiders instead of Trogs 2. It sounds like the stamps currency will fix the issue from Daily Ops, where it could take months to get a specific weapon plan.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Really hope there's a way to join the raider side of things, as difficult as it is to play an evil character nowadays...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Psychedelicatessen posted:

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/3HgvLt86M79e9e9f3NwcK3/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-launch-your-own-expedition-in-the-pts

First proper look at the PTS Pitt. Looks good so far, I like that they went with union boys vs raiders instead of Trogs 2. It sounds like the stamps currency will fix the issue from Daily Ops, where it could take months to get a specific weapon plan.

Oh hell yeah

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sensenmann posted:

Fort Defiance has 9 bags. This video lists the top farming spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fuziLVkqaE

You also want to keep an eye open for Military Grade Duct Tape, that gives BF as well.

McClintock has 6 bags a 3 military duct tapes, if you're lucky. And I'll have to check out those locations. I have all the plans for marine armor but need so much to build and maintain it.

It was pretty hilarious when I realized I was out of adhesive. I thought I had so much but building a new combat rifle took it all. And then I got a legendary handmade from the scorchbeast queen I killed with said combat rifle.

Man I finally figured out why people build bases near the cranberry bog, so their turrets can shoot the queen.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 7, 2022

titties
May 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

There are 2 wings to fort defiance. The wing that the bos were using is locked by default. In the area where you found the wendigo is a circuit breaker to open the door to the bos wing.

A lot of the time someone else will have already opened it but during events it tends to get ignored and you have to do it yourself.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

twistedmentat posted:

Man I finally figured out why people build bases near the cranberry bog, so their turrets can shoot the queen.

Also where some of the best food crafting stuff is i.e. lots of cranberries and scorchbeast meats

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Flesh Forge posted:

Also where some of the best food crafting stuff is i.e. lots of cranberries and scorchbeast meats

Ooh i have not thought to look at what i can make with the cranberries i've picked up.

Also holy poo poo gently caress people who make bases that have their vendors inside a death trap. Why would you do this? just to steal peoples poo poo? Ooh you got my steel scrap, good job rear end in a top hat,

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Did they ever fix that glitch where you could set an instrument mostly underground to clip through and make yourself a pseudo-basement?

Some people wake up and choose violence. It's quite fun.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I picked this up on sale for 12 bucks and have been playing. Just hit lvl 20, enjoying it so far, slowly playing with some friends and just generally enjoying fallout. So far haven't run into anyone doing any bullshit, most people just wave and do events or so but in reading about like, trap camps, is there anything I should be wary of?

Tips? Tricks? must dos or don'ts?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The most rude thing a player can do is mildly annoying. No bullshit to be worried about and you can't really lose anything to people being jerks.

Worst case scenario it take 6 button presses and a minute of load screen to server hop.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Also holy poo poo gently caress people who make bases that have their vendors inside a death trap. Why would you do this? just to steal peoples poo poo? Ooh you got my steel scrap, good job rear end in a top hat,

Because, unimaginably, people like to play the game differently than you.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Did they ever fix that glitch where you could set an instrument mostly underground to clip through and make yourself a pseudo-basement?

Should work with a symptomatic on a rug.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I think it's interesting that they expected the game to be a PvE slugfest, but it turned out that most players want to help each other. I know this influenced the decision to make raiders a non-hostile faction. But there'll still be some antisocial murderers running around.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

And camp traps are awesome. The ingenuity of some them are sights to behold.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yea i encountered someone with a bass set up like that. He had to stand there shooting at the base to let people know what to do.

I finally got the alien blaster plan and built one and eh, i guess its neat. Not like it seems that effective. Though I scrapped it to see if i can get any mods from it, and lol of course not. Also I feel really dumb not looking at the actual dailies to increase my SCORE until the other day, because if you're paying attention, most of them are pretty easy. Kill 10 enemies while well fed comes up a lot, and that's super easy. I really want that harmaceutical station. How long do seasons normally run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i encountered someone with a bass set up like that. He had to stand there shooting at the base to let people know what to do.

I finally got the alien blaster plan and built one and eh, i guess its neat. Not like it seems that effective. Though I scrapped it to see if i can get any mods from it, and lol of course not. Also I feel really dumb not looking at the actual dailies to increase my SCORE until the other day, because if you're paying attention, most of them are pretty easy. Kill 10 enemies while well fed comes up a lot, and that's super easy. I really want that harmaceutical station. How long do seasons normally run?

No exact date yet but they usually run for roughly 3 month and end on the same day the "big" content patches come around, so early June at the least.