Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

always carry a sexy maid costume, for emergencies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (December 8-10, 1921)

Toonerville Folks, from a paper that had a different name for it. Which is to say that they actually had a name for it at this point in its history. (March 3-5, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Man Overboard (February 9, 1914)

Little Lefty (July 13-15, 1936)

Blondie (From Zero) (January 11-13, 1932)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True May 9, 1919

And He Did! May 20, 1919

Cat Tales April 18, 1925

Oaky Doaks October 17, 1936

Mopsy December 27, 1937

Up Front April 9, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems July 8, 1952

Those Were the Days May 26, 1960

Wee Pals July 9, 1966

Dogbert April 4, 1967

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hwurmp posted:

:hmmyes:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

y'know. i'd like to say "what is wrong with you people". but then i remembered i was also a college student sharing a quad with three other people + a few significant others and i would've sooner jumped out the window to my death than talk to them about an annoying thing they were doing. doubly so if that thing had had anything to do with the sex they were having.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "194 - ''I Won't Have Any Adventure Today...''"

A holiday blurb with a rare line of dialogue from Jucika. The other panels are Pal's other works such as Ivan and Joe on the right.

"195 - Jucika Helps Out"

"Ruhatar means coat check."

...are there any records of Pal's other works beyond the first pic you have there?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 28, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

At that point you put a water cooler in the privacy hut so they can stay hydrated.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

I'm liking MB because it moves at a decent clip day to day, and gives the action as much attention as the yakking when it comes. In contrast, I don't think The Phantom has slammed evil once since I started following this thread.

Hwurmp posted:

Wait, you don't?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton/Flyin' Jenny: The Sunday Funnies Feb 16, 1941

Cyril really is the worst. Not like, Axa-boyfriend worst, but still.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 04, 1951)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/4/02

Brenda Starr 9/5/48

Boy, that last panel. Milk that drama, Brenda!

Smokey Stover 9/21/47

Everyday Movies 2/12/35

Spoilered for minstrel-show dialect.

"But Ah tells yo', boss, Ah doan' know where thar IS any hot spots."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

How DARE you inconvenience me!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

This can't be all there is to it.

The Phantom

Payndz posted:

I'm liking MB because it moves at a decent clip day to day, and gives the action as much attention as the yakking when it comes. In contrast, I don't think The Phantom has slammed evil once since I started following this thread.
I love to imagine the marketing meeting when they came up with "Slam Evil!"

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

The gently caress? This ended like a modern dick tracy story.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Mary Worth thing is baffling because it’s not any more work to show Ian having the conversation than it is to have Toby describe it. Maybe Ian could have even needed Mary Worth’s advice about confronting his old ex, and his guilt that has been inflamed by her recent behavior.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The level of crime the Street Sweeper deals with seems like he's going to start actually sweeping litter off the street soon.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My Lovely Horse posted:

The level of crime the Street Sweeper deals with seems like he's going to start actually sweeping litter off the street soon.

yeah but tbh confiscating a drunk's keys before they try to drive their car is a pretty clear cut good

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Slammy posted:

So It Seems July 8, 1952

At some point So It Seems became the old timey comic I look forward to the most. Always gets a chuckle and I love his expressions.

those drat pens

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

I also enjoy Rhymes with Orange a lot, especially as far as single panel gag a days go, but...I know we've talked about how the title panel's joke is weirdly placed but out of curiosity is this a comic where they truncate stuff? Like is there a version of this strip in papers or whatever where the title card doesnt always run, like how Sundays will sometimes trip the top 3

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

His Divine Shadow posted:

The gently caress? This ended like a modern dick tracy story.

The cliff hanger is gonna be here husband going to pound town on the ex-student lady.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i really like So It Seems.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Crab Dad posted:

The cliff hanger is gonna be here husband going to pound town on the ex-student lady.

And she cries out "Iiiiiiaaaaaaaaannnnnn" when she climaxes

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This is what makes Mary Worth such a consistently infuriating script: either it's drawing out an off-screen resolution for a week that is going to turn out to be accurate (terrible writing), OR we're getting strung along for an entire week before the inevitable rugpull (wasting the reader's time.)

quote:

I love to imagine the marketing meeting when they came up with "Slam Evil!"

Fun trivia about the Phantom movie - Joe Dante was originally slated to direct it, and worked with the screenwriter to come up with a big, bombastic, borderline spoof take on the 30's pulp hero movies that were flourishing in the wake of Batman's success (Think in-line with what Dante did with Gremlins 2.) Paramount delayed the movie, and Dante dropped out to move on to other projects...only to later learn that the studio hired journeyman director Simon Wincer, who was shooting the existing comedic screenplay as a straight-ahead action movie. (The studio had made changes to the script, but only in order to cut out a few of the more expensive SFX setpieces.) "Slam Evil!" feels like exactly what you come up with when you've been tasked with selling a fiasco like that.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Samovar posted:

...are there any records of Pal's other works beyond the first pic you have there?

Unfortunately there's only limited mention of Pal, primarily by what seem to be scans of Ludas Matyi that took the internet by storm by total memetic luck. Here's one of the rarer overviews I could find if I google "Iván és Joe", which also yields example strips in the GIS. Jucika was briefly popular enough to get a few passionate translators, finding Ivan and Joes getting the same treatment seems too big an ask.

Which is a shame as I'd totally buy big hardback collections of Pal's work in a heartbeat! Maybe if there's a community of eastern European comic diehards? You'd need somebody holding 70+ year old print comics, or maybe getting lucky and there were collection prints over there.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 5, 2022

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

catlord posted:

Dinky Dinkerton/Flyin' Jenny: The Sunday Funnies Feb 16, 1941

Cyril really is the worst. Not like, Axa-boyfriend worst, but still.

I don't generally condone spanking/hitting kids, but Cyril really deserved it this time.

I just went to a Van Gogh exhibit so this is deeply funny to me.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 5, 2022

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

double post

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 2, 1934)

Peanuts gives us "born thirty years too soon." (May 8, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 5, 1938)

Out Our Way (October 3-5, 1938)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 5, 2022

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Storm P giving me big "You criticize society, yet you live inside of it" vibes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I completely missed Blossom and Corky in the last panel the last time I read this.

Effervescent.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I completely missed Blossom and Corky in the last panel the last time I read this.

Effervescent.

Isn't that Colm and Little Claire (between Blossom and Mildred/Lee)?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Selachian posted:

Isn't that Colm and Little Claire (between Blossom and Mildred/Lee)?

I was wondering that but I wasn't sure if I was misremembering, since I have a very unphotographic memory and wasn't sure if they decided not to get together after the troll case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I know how foolish it is to hope for things in Mary Worth, but my heart really, really wants this to be the lead-up to a storyline about Ian cheating on his wife with his ex-student. It would be the most soap-opera a soap-opera strip has been in, like, a century.