Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Doomykins posted:

Trying new classes on pvp! I feel like I understand what to do with BRD but my damage is always low overall. Assists are very high, kills are decent, have no problem slapping out of position people, whenever melee dive I greet them with a slap and a silence. Am I being too cautious with my focused shooting for consistent output or is "no big gently caress off damage LB but loads of passive aura support" just going to lead to a feeling of lowish damage?

Conversely SCH reminds me of my spirit animal from WoW PvP, Afflock, and even if it's in FL getting the big damage number makes my soul warm. I could probably use pointers here though it's very, very intuitive.

Powerful Shot stings considerably at max distance and I find myself sniping a lot of people with Powerful Shot + Max EA charges if they are at least at 75% health and bare being focused by at least one other teammate. You’ll usually not have high kills but you’ll have a lot of assists. Bard does excel at harassing players though (make liberal use of the repelling shot bind and silence, especially on casters). The Bard limit break is outright terrifying when you have a team making a coordinated Crystal push and you’re actively harassing/silencing enemies with LBs of their own on deck. That 10 percent buff can swing entire matches if you have a halfway competent team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Not really sure what the downside of them doing another BA style raid is other than...Mostly people who never did BA yet complain about it existing all the time, having another thing to get mad at?

I don't really think they will take another crack at it, but it'd be cool if they did IMO.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Thanks for the advice fantasy friends I will work on more consistent pressure and be the best murderer I can be.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Didn't they already do another BA in the form of DRS, or is that considered to be not the same sort of thing?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'd rank DRS as mechanically more difficult but easier to actually start and get in to. Not having to coordinate around a temperamental queuing system and portals does a lot for being able to pick yourself back up after a failed run.

I guess generally it's another shot a BA but it's more of a savage alliance dungeon than anything, in terms of getting in and running it.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

MechaX posted:

Powerful Shot stings considerably at max distance and I find myself sniping a lot of people with Powerful Shot + Max EA charges if they are at least at 75% health and bare being focused by at least one other teammate. You’ll usually not have high kills but you’ll have a lot of assists. Bard does excel at harassing players though (make liberal use of the repelling shot bind and silence, especially on casters). The Bard limit break is outright terrifying when you have a team making a coordinated Crystal push and you’re actively harassing/silencing enemies with LBs of their own on deck. That 10 percent buff can swing entire matches if you have a halfway competent team

Since a big bard mechanic in 11 was optimum target range, there was a plugin that clearly visualized those ranges. I have zero clue what a yalm looks like on screen and do my best to stay at max range but drat does it mess with me sometimes

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I also haven't touched any of the eureka gear quests or whatever did I mess up

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Once you get past the initial "zerg the enemy never use guard or heal" players nobody can really nuke someone from 100 to 0 outside of LBs or edge cases, but Bard in particular never pretends to in the first place. Our stuff hurts enough for people to notice and we have the range to surprise them, but we're about pressure and targeting weak points. Consider the full-cooldown opener: Apex Arrow a group for 6000, 3-charge Empyreal for 9000, Blast Arrow the group for 8000, silence, and then follow up with a 4-8000 Pitch Perfect. That's about 25% hp on the group, and 50% hp on one enemy. If you're lucky/coordinated an ally's jumped in with their own tricks and that's enough to start getting kills. If not and they don't notice you aren't getting backup it can still scare people into retreating.

Mainly you're going to be a nuisance without many star moments. A silence or bind can really put someone off their rhythm, but you're usually going to be too busy to tell so it feels less effective from your side. Apex/Blast Arrow give the party 10% damage, but nobody outside of parse-watchers are going to notice that you made a difference in someone else being awesome. LB gives another 10% damage and some bar regen, but again that's hard to notice. Your personal kills are going to be people who are low and running away, and with the charge time of your basic attack that's going to depend more on chance than planning. When you have a big moment that's unambiguously because of what you did, though? It feels so good.

--Don't sacrifice skills waiting for the perfect moment. Apex/Blast arrow has buffs associated with it as well as damage, so you want to be hitting that when it's up. It is totally reasonable to use it on just one person if you don't have a good shot for more. Silence and Warden's are tied to Pitch Perfect, too, so it's more of a factor than just the ability's effect.
--It's tempting to lead with Silence, since it's quick and effective, but I find it's better to wait until they're either at about half health or telegraphing some big play (you'll learn to spot some of these through practice). It's about getting the kill, not the first hit, and Silence is holding up a big "you're threatened" sign that they have no choice but to listen to. Particularly if someone dives into your line, a silence when they're trying to figure out how to get back out can be the difference between an effective tank and a dead one.
--Yes, the first two points kinda contradict each other. You'll figure it out.
--With your default shot/Pitch Perfect based on range, you're going to be juggling staying at range versus pushing the objective. Don't get so hung up on maximizing that damage that you can't stand on the crystal or run to allies to repelling shot or peel someone off of you.
--You've got buffs that can decide fights, but they depend on your teammates. Try to stick with people and support rather than soloing a "brilliant plan", but don't take it personally when that falls apart.
--You can't really solo anyone, but the good news is that with Warden's, Bind and Silence they can't really solo you either. Not quickly anyway. If someone charges you alone don't panic, figure out how to be useful. I've had times when I just ignored a dragoon trying to snipe me, kept hitting heal as needed, and helped finish off whoever my allies were on so they can come help me.

All in all, unless people are really observant you're probably not going to have allies saying "that Bard won the match for us" but you will totally have matches where the enemy says "that Bard won the match for them."

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Bruceski posted:

--You've got buffs that can decide fights, but they depend on your teammates. Try to stick with people and support rather than soloing a "brilliant plan", but don't take it personally when that falls apart.

Good news for me then, I was never smart enough to try putting together a galaxy brain plan

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I have spent the majority of a match being chased by a Sam that really wanted me dead, that was a fun one

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

I also haven't touched any of the eureka gear quests or whatever did I mess up

If you want the elemental armor or a relic yes. otherwise, no.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

Since a big bard mechanic in 11 was optimum target range, there was a plugin that clearly visualized those ranges. I have zero clue what a yalm looks like on screen and do my best to stay at max range but drat does it mess with me sometimes

I figure that just comes with practice plus the idea that it's easier to judge what max range is in this game (the skill being available to even use) than it was in 11 (pressing your /ra macro and waiting half a second for the server to feed back the "not in range" line to you because in the time since you've pressed it the monster's wandered 2 inches out of range).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I wish the battle logs were a little clearer or they had the popup that other games have that shows you what the last few things that hit you were. I tried digging back through a few times and couldn't square what happened. For instance last night I'd be coming back from spawn and join a battle in progress. 2 enemy melee would be fighting 3 of my team in a scrum on the far side of the crystal. The enemy healer and machinist would be on the crystal with our nearly dead dark knight. I throw one heal on him then shield up because I'm used to being targeted as white mage (deservedly) and want to negate their alpha strike. I clearly see I'm still at full health. Then I'm dead, through shield, a second later. I've died slower to full Frontlines zergs. Was it lag, or did the machinist hit his 7% chainsaw or whatever on me? In that single game it felt like I died from full health three times, without the full enemy team on me. I wish I could look to see what happened easier. I found the log spot where my shield started up and it said my shield went away and the only thing around it was a hit for 3k, buried in the spam of peoples attacks on everyone else. The fight was still going so I couldn't spend much time looking, then I just logged out after that one.

Is there a way to dump them to text or something? For CC in particular. Or settings to change the log to just show what happened to me? I haven't looked so if there's something obvious in there I apologize, just venting a bit while itching to get back at it tonight.

edit: I could use it for raids too, probably my situational awareness is just terrible. I'd like to know what got me in some raid roulettes too.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

hazardousmouse posted:

I have spent the majority of a match being chased by a Sam that really wanted me dead, that was a fun one

Been there before; one time one chased me from their base all the way back to mine like it was a Benny Hill skit; that team lost the match because the other four were doing the whole “immediately run in to solo the enemy team on respawn one at a time” play and they probably could have used that Sam too busy chasing me down to try to slow down the Crystal

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
The major parser, I forget its name, can it parse pvp?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you play on PC there's a plugin called DeathRecap that can give you a timeline of attacks/healing that hit a person, what their HP was at the time, and what buffs/debuffs they had on them

is this what you're looking for?

e: this works in pvp too but I personally turn off the chat window messages there because it can clutter out quickchat info

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 5, 2022

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
ACT works for PVP.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bruceski posted:

Once you get past the initial "zerg the enemy never use guard or heal" players nobody can really nuke someone from 100 to 0 outside of LBs or edge cases, but Bard in particular never pretends to in the first place. Our stuff hurts enough for people to notice and we have the range to surprise them, but we're about pressure and targeting weak points. Consider the full-cooldown opener: Apex Arrow a group for 6000, 3-charge Empyreal for 9000, Blast Arrow the group for 8000, silence, and then follow up with a 4-8000 Pitch Perfect. That's about 25% hp on the group, and 50% hp on one enemy. If you're lucky/coordinated an ally's jumped in with their own tricks and that's enough to start getting kills. If not and they don't notice you aren't getting backup it can still scare people into retreating.

Mainly you're going to be a nuisance without many star moments. A silence or bind can really put someone off their rhythm, but you're usually going to be too busy to tell so it feels less effective from your side. Apex/Blast Arrow give the party 10% damage, but nobody outside of parse-watchers are going to notice that you made a difference in someone else being awesome. LB gives another 10% damage and some bar regen, but again that's hard to notice. Your personal kills are going to be people who are low and running away, and with the charge time of your basic attack that's going to depend more on chance than planning. When you have a big moment that's unambiguously because of what you did, though? It feels so good.

--Don't sacrifice skills waiting for the perfect moment. Apex/Blast arrow has buffs associated with it as well as damage, so you want to be hitting that when it's up. It is totally reasonable to use it on just one person if you don't have a good shot for more. Silence and Warden's are tied to Pitch Perfect, too, so it's more of a factor than just the ability's effect.
--It's tempting to lead with Silence, since it's quick and effective, but I find it's better to wait until they're either at about half health or telegraphing some big play (you'll learn to spot some of these through practice). It's about getting the kill, not the first hit, and Silence is holding up a big "you're threatened" sign that they have no choice but to listen to. Particularly if someone dives into your line, a silence when they're trying to figure out how to get back out can be the difference between an effective tank and a dead one.
--Yes, the first two points kinda contradict each other. You'll figure it out.
--With your default shot/Pitch Perfect based on range, you're going to be juggling staying at range versus pushing the objective. Don't get so hung up on maximizing that damage that you can't stand on the crystal or run to allies to repelling shot or peel someone off of you.
--You can't really solo anyone, but the good news is that with Warden's, Bind and Silence they can't really solo you either. Not quickly anyway. If someone charges you alone don't panic, figure out how to be useful. I've had times when I just ignored a dragoon trying to snipe me, kept hitting heal as needed, and helped finish off whoever my allies were on so they can come help me.

All in all, unless people are really observant you're probably not going to have allies saying "that Bard won the match for us" but you will totally have matches where the enemy says "that Bard won the match for them."

Lol I read this post and immediately won five in a row, thanks goon :thumbsup:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Thanks, this is really great stuff. Went with BRD over SCH for some after work pvp FL and being much more aggressive is pushing my damage up while getting across to me that yeah, bards are really vicious yet surprisingly safe pokers.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Thanks, I'll check out Deathrecap and Act.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i've come up with the most definitive, scientific method of ranking the FFXIV expansions. here are my rankings:

ARR: urianger is introduced, but loses his childhood sweetheart. very sad. - 5/10

HW: urianger is thought to be a traitor for basically the whole expansion, but then gets his DRAMATIC REVEAL and saves the day. excellent. - 8/10

StB: urianger only shows up in like two cutscenes. worst expansion. - 1/10

ShB: urianger is a real main character in the story now, gets a fab new outfit, nearly drowns twice. - 10/10

EW: urianger finally gets a hug. - 15/10

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Bruceski posted:

isn't that just the fate of all support oriented classes in PvP poo poo

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kerrzhe posted:

i've come up with the most definitive, scientific method of ranking the FFXIV expansions. here are my rankings:

ARR: urianger is introduced, but loses his childhood sweetheart. very sad. - 5/10

HW: urianger is thought to be a traitor for basically the whole expansion, but then gets his DRAMATIC REVEAL and saves the day. excellent. - 8/10

ShB: urianger is a real main character in the story now, gets a fab new outfit, nearly drowns twice. - 10/10

:hmmyes:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TGLT posted:

isn't that just the fate of all support oriented classes in PvP poo poo

Pretty much, yeah. Half the reason Dragoon is "OP" is that when he jumps, effective or not, people notice it happening.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Support is a thankless role.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

My favorite thing to do as Ninja is to Forked Raiju someone, then use Fuma Shuriken to fill three GCDs while waiting for Purify/Resilience to wear off, then finally hit Fleeting Raiju and stun them again

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kerrzhe posted:

Finally, an objectively correct metric for rating the expansions.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kerrzhe posted:

Urianger is currently the best scion besides Tataru so I back this rating system.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

1.0 Urianger: You're sent to arrest him for being a doomsday prophet and/but claim to believe him. He verbosely calls bullshit and sicks a raptor on you before teleporting away. Then Thancred slides onstage and says "Oh I see you've met my oddball friend Urianger" 7 /10

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

1.0 Urianger: You're sent to arrest him for being a doomsday prophet and/but claim to believe him. He verbosely calls bullshit and sicks a raptor on you before teleporting away. Then Thancred slides onstage and says "Oh I see you've met my oddball friend Urianger" 7 /10

Who do I need to talk to port this into future MSQ?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Electric Phantasm posted:

An Echo flashback expansion where all the dead characters come back for a massive party seems like something they would do.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm hosting a Crystaline Conflict event for my FC and we're expecting probably 15 people to show up. Basically my plan is to have two randomly generated teams, leftovers spectating. After the game we reshuffle the teams with the spectators and go again.

The hard part is the shuffling - I want to do more than simply randomize the sets each time. I want each player to have roughly the same number of games, with reasonably different team comps and spectators without streaking too many games in a row. I've mostly developed an algorithm to do the sorting that I just need to bang out a few details, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with that, or if there's already some sort of publicly available to do that. We've used other tournament creating things for TT tournaments and whatnot, but I think what I want is a bit complex compared to a regular bracket or round-robin setup.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sassassin posted:

An Echo flashback expansion where all the dead characters come back for a massive party seems like something they would do.

I at least want one for The Rising at bare minimum

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpGRfmRaIx8

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's a good thing they brought back the Garo gear, now players who weren't around the first time will be able to get the Dan title for their Reapers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeoHK1RZnqA

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Wasn't it "Dam" for a little while when it first came out?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I picked this game up again recently after buying it in 2014 and never really clicking with it. Finished the ARR 2.0 story last night and had a great time, particularly in the back third or so.

Now I’m going to take my time in the 2.x content, and get my head around content and systems I skipped to mainline the MSQ, so some more dungeons, figure out retainers, etc.

I didn’t see it in the OP but I just wanted to double check, there’s not much organized goon presence in the oceanic data center is there?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Roach Warehouse posted:

I picked this game up again recently after buying it in 2014 and never really clicking with it. Finished the ARR 2.0 story last night and had a great time, particularly in the back third or so.

Now I’m going to take my time in the 2.x content, and get my head around content and systems I skipped to mainline the MSQ, so some more dungeons, figure out retainers, etc.

I didn’t see it in the OP but I just wanted to double check, there’s not much organized goon presence in the oceanic data center is there?

Nothing organised, though theres a few people around. I need to set up a linkshell or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
fuckin lol I was checking pvp progress to see how close I was to my mini flying ship (not very) and discovered I have roughly equal progress on getting FL wins with mael and adder but loving 0 for flames just goddamn LMAO