Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rynoto posted:

Have you checked the hp of the soil? If it's too low the fruit won't spawn and 4 trees at once need regular infusions.

Yes, I got the idea to try that after the apple trees were stuck at 100% growth for months. I planted some clover next to them and whacked it with my hoe when they were fully grown. Then a couple days later I tried the same thing with some withered grass for good measure, since I read somewhere that that also restores soil HP?
How long does it take them to start producing once you restore the soil HP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Silver Falcon posted:

Yes, I got the idea to try that after the apple trees were stuck at 100% growth for months. I planted some clover next to them and whacked it with my hoe when they were fully grown. Then a couple days later I tried the same thing with some withered grass for good measure, since I read somewhere that that also restores soil HP?

Equip a magnifying glass (or upgrade your tools or helmet with one) and look at the specific 2x2 plot with trees on it. To restore soil HP there, put a grass/corn/clover on the 2x2 tile, then smack it with the hoe. The item should overlap a tree if you planted 4 trees on the tile.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Silver Falcon posted:

Apples should be producing daily. Make sure you check the HP of the tree itself then and see if it's maxed out whenever you're doing your infusions.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've been trying to get my apple trees to produce still. (RF4) Can anybody explain to me, like I am a very slow child, how trees work, and what kind of spacing they need?

What I did, and I'm starting to think it was a bad idea, was plant a row of fruit trees at the top of one of my fields to have an orchard. I didn't have apple trees at the time, so the left and right edges got filled with orange and grape trees at first. I have... 2-3 of each. The orange and grape trees grew and are producing fine despite being next to each other. Then when I got apple seeds, I filled them in the middle of the row.

The apple trees are at 100% growth and not producing. I planted 4-leaf Clovers next to the trees, let them grow, and whacked them with a hoe to restore the HP, but I am not sure if that restores the soil HP, or the tree HP, or which one is causing them not to produce fruit?

I feel very stupid please help. :(

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

In order:
If you use free farming boots you can cram 4 trees into a single 2x2 tile just like normal plants and still have room to access all of them, even if every single tile on the farm is full.

When you first planted these trees was it on an old field? New field?
If old did you make sure the HP of the field was good? Are you absolutely sure you have watered them each day? Fertilizer bin never ran out? If you don't know any of these then your tree may have rotted, in which case No Rot could save it, otherwise it would likely be easier at this point to cut it down and make sure to max out your soil stats before replanting.

You don't have to plant Clovers or Corn(Recommended) into the 2x2 - buying corn from the shop/growing it and just placing it on the field before hoeing it works just fine for that square and you should do a few at a time if the hp is particularly low or you're running multiple trees - 255 hp is max. You should be using a tool(or any other gear) with a magnifying glass to check the stats as you do this and plant HP will recover from being watered, passively (with high hp soil) or with infusions. If you do any sort of chemicals to soil it'll crash the HP as will fruit so keep it up. The tree's own HP controls the fruit and as it drops it'll pull from the soil to sustain itself.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 9, 2022

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I think the fundamental misunderstanding is this - each 2x2 square has its own health stat, so planting 4 leaf clover adjacent and hoeing it does nothing for the tree square plot. You need to take some harvested or purchased corn or clover, drop it directly on the tree 2x2 plot, then hoe it.

Also use a magnifying glass to check all of these stats first.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

If you can swing it, please take a screenshot while you're looking at the trees with a magnifying glass/magnifying glass enhanced item is equipped. That'd probably help us diagnose the issue. I've never had trees fail to produce like that before.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

If you can swing it, please take a screenshot while you're looking at the trees with a magnifying glass/magnifying glass enhanced item is equipped. That'd probably help us diagnose the issue. I've never had trees fail to produce like that before.

I'm on 3DS so these are... ugly. Apologies:

In the top image, there used to be another tree on either side of the isolated one that's there now. I chopped it down in the hopes that the remaining one would have room to breathe.

The tree in the last screenshot has gotten a few clover injections, but still has trees growing on either side of it.

To answer previous questions, the field was new when I planted the orange and grape trees, but it was awhile later when I planted the apple.

The trees got consistent water while they were growing thanks to my monster farmhands, but I can't guarantee the fertilizer bin was always full. I struggle with that. How do folks keep that topped off? I started taking a bit of time to blow through the Summer Fields and grab a bunch of Antidote Grass and such to dump in there, but if there's a better idea I'm all ears.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've seen a similar post on gamefaqs regarding this issue but nobody came to a clear conclusion as to why. The tree looks clearly withered. They should look like the other trees that said I never planted more than one tree of each kind myself I'd probably try it it on one of your side fields instead.

Out of curiosity try to see if greenifier helps at all.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

The trees got consistent water while they were growing thanks to my monster farmhands, but I can't guarantee the fertilizer bin was always full. I struggle with that. How do folks keep that topped off? I started taking a bit of time to blow through the Summer Fields and grab a bunch of Antidote Grass and such to dump in there, but if there's a better idea I'm all ears.

So the good news is that it looks like you're doing everything right. The bad news is that that means that I have no idea what's wrong. Maybe just scythe the offending trees and try again?

I did notice that the HP (not Health) of the top spot is at 0, so maybe they got stunted because of that during the growing phase and it never got fixed? Speaking of that, I noticed your growing speed is in blue, which means you used a chemical to increase that number. Did you apply more than one Formula in the same day? That causes damage to the soil and might be what caused the plant to wither. If you apply only one chemical a day, there's no damage to the soil (that's one chemical per 2x2 plot).

I had good results in the summer field just outside of town, so that's an option, especially if you haven't been planting much there so the HP/Health are decent.

For fertilizer, you can always just buy herbs/grass in large quantities from the clinic. It can get a bit pricy, but it makes it easy to stay topped off.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been playing RF5 this past month on my weekends and I was annoyed how easily I leveled that all the dungeons in act 1 was a cake walk. Then in 2 hey, all the monsters were massively buffed and I'm taking damage again and not one shotting everything and even running with a crew of 3 companions monsters don't just evaporate.

Then I got the wind cloak and everything is really easy again. All the armor values are straight from 4, but they decided to multiply the wind cloak's values by 4 times and just gives you a freebie :psyduck:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The stuff after the wind cloak is dramatically worse than it, too. I’m pretty sure they just accidentally gave it the wrong armor values, it’s way too strong compared to everything around it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hi me again with Stupid Question O'clock!

I'm still slooooooooooooowly chipping away at Rune Prana. (RF4) My character is also pregnant so I'm basically completely ignoring Jones' advice to stay safe while gestating :v:. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Is there a handy list of what items will boost what stats of monsters? I just recruited a blue dragon after days of soft resetting after brushing it and giving it all the Dragon Fangs I had. It has way more defense and magic defense than the Red Dragon I recruited earlier. So, I'd like to get the Red Dragon's stats u to snuff. What can I give him to make him beefier?

Also I don't have much of an idea of what monsters are good to recruit. I just figured "dragon" and "monster that inhabits the current hardest dungeon in the game" would be a good combo to take with me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Hi me again with Stupid Question O'clock!

I'm still slooooooooooooowly chipping away at Rune Prana. (RF4) My character is also pregnant so I'm basically completely ignoring Jones' advice to stay safe while gestating :v:. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Is there a handy list of what items will boost what stats of monsters? I just recruited a blue dragon after days of soft resetting after brushing it and giving it all the Dragon Fangs I had. It has way more defense and magic defense than the Red Dragon I recruited earlier. So, I'd like to get the Red Dragon's stats u to snuff. What can I give him to make him beefier?

Also I don't have much of an idea of what monsters are good to recruit. I just figured "dragon" and "monster that inhabits the current hardest dungeon in the game" would be a good combo to take with me.

I think that items will pass on the attribute that they improve, so stuff with +crit makes the monster crit. Beyond that I don’t know.

I look at monsters in two ways: monsters I ride, and monsters I don’t. Monsters that I ride need good attack animations, and the puppet boss was my favorite for that. The other monster was usually more for tanking. If you check your extra orders tab, you might see an area where you can tame very high level monsters…

Also make and wear a field pendant. It basically doubles monster damage and means even a freshly tamed monster will destroy its former friends.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

Also make and wear a field pendant. It basically doubles monster damage and means even a freshly tamed monster will destroy its former friends.
make a field pendant, then craft it (along with a heart pendant and maybe a sun pendant/star pendant) into something else to inherit those abilities! (talk to Barrett to make sure it actually did)

that way you don't have to have your accessory slot actually taken up by a no-stats item

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ahahahaha I beat the final bosses of Rune Prana by hiding in the corner spamming Heal while my dragons murdered them. :laugh: Feels good. I realize I won't be able to get away with that kind of shenanigans in Sharence Maze but I also don't care. I win the moral victory!

.... I also got Venti back before I popped out a kid. I felt bad that I got married and she wasn't there to officiate the wedding. :(

But yeah now I can just goof off and do whatever I want! I got crops to grow, quests to complete, and I guess a baby to pop out? Let's gooooooooooooo!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Silver Falcon posted:

.... I also got Venti back before I popped out a kid. I felt bad that I got married and she wasn't there to officiate the wedding. :(

When I played I ended up sort of getting an in-universe time limit - my wife was pregnant and I wanted to save Venti so she could be there for my kid's childhood! I made it just in time, which, hilariously, meant that I rescued her before the timeskip, but everyone's dialogue about how happy they were that Venti was back was after the timeskip. Even my kid was talking about how happy she was to see Venti again, and she wasn't even born until after Venti returned!

Also, they left a carrot out on main street for 4 years, sheesh you guys.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

But yeah now I can just goof off and do whatever I want! I got crops to grow, quests to complete, and I guess a baby to pop out? Let's gooooooooooooo!

Congrats! Now I'll stop being coy about it and just outright tell you that you should go ahead and unlock the Sharance Maze. It'll give you a nice goal to work towards completing as you do the rest of the stuff. The enemy levels are extremely high, so it takes some system mastery to complete everything, but it's a fun challenge to figure everything out and make it all work.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well I just experienced the massive "gently caress you" that happens if you finish the Everlasting Darkness dungeon before the buddy battle festival. Thats cool.

Leal fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 21, 2022

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
What's that? I think I may have done the same.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

What's that? I think I may have done the same.

Just throw a dragon at me that cannot be harmed and hits for over 4 thousand. And have the player lose in the event of a tie

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It appears I haven't unlocked the festival yet so I guess I'll need to prep for next year.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Leal posted:

Just throw a dragon at me that cannot be harmed and hits for over 4 thousand. And have the player lose in the event of a tie

Ah, yeah, those things are nuts. Funnily enough, they actually have higher attack stats than the bosses I tamed that were 30+ levels higher than them. Of course, once you get them on your side...

It actually still won't matter because drop rates are atrocious, so you need to bring NPCs along with you that can have a rare can and clover infused weapon and a happy ring.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I dipped into Sharence Maze a little bit (RF4). I had previously found this really sweet spear in a lv 10 Field Dungeon, called Legion, which had something silly like triple the attack power of even the best weapon I could forge myself. So I upgraded it with a Raccoon Leaf and Gita Augite and I use it to generally tear poo poo up. It makes pretty quick work of even the monsters in Sharence Maze but I need to work on my armor. If I get hit I tend to die fast. Still, something to work towards.

I'll just have to take the best armor recipe I can make, hunt down the ingredients for it, and get it. I upgraded the Legion with a 4-leaf Clover for such things, as advised earlier in here.

EDIT to add: My character finally popped out her half-horse mongrel child. I named her Misty, after a horse in a series of children's books I read when I was a little girl. I just got done gearing up Dylas with luck-boosting equipment to help me farm drops, but I realized if I take him along with me to kill monsters, Misty would be home all by herself, and that just won't do at all, will it? :ohdear: So I'm working on getting HER a set of luck-boosting gear so she can come along and kill monsters too! I AM A RESPONSIBLE PARENT!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 22, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Since this is the catch all farming game thread, My Time at Sandrock's early access launches this week on May 26. The devs claim to have hired actual voice acting talent this time around
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1084600/My_Time_at_Sandrock/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/my-time-at-sandrock-early-access-review

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh nice, I remember the demo felt better than Portia (although perhaps not better enough for me to actually buy it...)

e: that review really makes me feel like it's just Portia 2: No Changes, though, which means I'd get sick of the machines-taking-forever queue crafting bullshit and the lacking combat. probably. we'll see.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I gave the demo a shot as well and I thought it was significantly better than Portia. There's a lot of QoL fixes that make the game a lot less stiff and tedious. Plus you actually get properly introduced to town which is a huge boon over Portia.

I thought Portia was pretty bad but I'll be picking up Sandrock on release.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The Sandrock demo from last year is still available in the Steam CDN
https://steamdb.info/app/1645320/
Click Install at the top right or enter

steam://install/1645320

while on a Steam page

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sandrock is out now for $24.99 during the EA period

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Filled out my survey to get my key soon hopefully. Kickstarter page didn't make it super clear how much of the game is in yet though.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/rune-factory-5-is-coming-to-pc-this-summer-3230103
:sickos:

https://steamdb.info/app/1702330/info/
RF5 on Steam in July

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Sooner than I would expect from them. Hopefully modders can fix the god awful furniture placement. Granted unless they add more stuff and/or a modding community does, I am unlikely to actually buy RF5 a second time.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

That's... really good news. Admittedly I wasn't digging RF5 on switch because it just didn't feel right.

I will buy it again if it plays much better and also enables some fun modding stuff.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I regret getting RF5 on the switch so this is great.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
A number of posts back someone asked if other RF5 players had experienced the game crashing on them, and several people responded that it had crashed once or twice.

Well, I've experienced multiple crashes. At least ten times, in fact. However, I'm still really enjoying the game, so the crashes haven't been too frustrating.

Except for the two times I lost so much progress that I nearly broke my controller.

And here's hoping for a marriageable Misasagi mod for the PC release, because Hina really needs a dad. Or two mommies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well, think I'll stop playing what I got on switch and wait until this releases and hold off on doing certain story elements until after certain festivals happen

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since I saw a video of the early version of my time at sandrock having voice acting I tried to reinstall Portia and it still does not have any voice acting? Wasn't there some drama involved with not paying VA and never adding any voices to the game?

I'm honestly disappointed it has no VA at all.

Edit: Its just off by default for a reason, but very amateurish compared to Sandrock in any case.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 28, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Played 4 hours of Sandrock tonight and it's just Better Portia in every way so far. I immediately kicked the time down to lowest setting, but the game seems mostly constrained by stamina this early on and that stamina tuned with you getting half as much time to do anything. Still, I'll take some hours of running around energyless over frantically worried about every minute ticking by if I stop to look or wander about.

So far haven't run into a Higgins, or there's a doucher in town but there's nobody I'm racing to the commission station in the mornings, or maybe I haven't noticed/seen it yet. Tooltips and game tutorials push you to take your time, but the game design itself still compels me to wanna bumrush stuff asap. Got the first story construction crane done in 2-3 days. They mention you're ranked end of month too so not sure what the game means by take your time. If I'm going to be number 1 by month 1 or 2, seems like I ought to be bumrushing a lil more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wonder how content complete it is.