Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
tori, your survivor dream was over regardless of what maryanne and drea went through or said that night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a very minor thing but its kind of appropriate that the "karen" of the season ended up making that into some kind of convoluted rationalization for her losing not being about playing a truly terrible game and being terrible with people.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Its a very minor thing but its kind of appropriate that the "karen" of the season ended up making that into some kind of convoluted rationalization for her losing not being about playing a truly terrible game and being terrible with people.

It’s just peak “look I’m doing the bare minimum” white lady

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

In other news, Ozzy's not great either (O refers to Ozzy).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

In other news, Ozzy's not great either (O refers to Ozzy).

This is very strangely worded. Are they saying that he has physically sexually assaulted people? Or are they saying that not disclosing that he has herpes is the sexual assault?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yes I believe the writer is saying that having sex with a partner without informing them of a highly communicable std is effectively a lack of consent.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

they're probably right, tbh

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a way to steam this live as it airs in Canada legally without a cable subscription?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

fadam posted:

Is there a way to steam this live as it airs in Canada legally without a cable subscription?

Does Paramount+ not have it in Canada?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

blue squares posted:

Does Paramount+ not have it in Canada?

I can’t find a definitive answer unfortunately lol

Edit: I think P+ only has it the day after?

fadam fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 5, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

fadam posted:

I can’t find a definitive answer unfortunately lol

I know one way to find out for just $10. But you should ask on Reddit. More people

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Sad to see Hai go. Really thought that was going to turn the other way -- I'm shocked they've allowed Jonathan to survive so long.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I miss when the blindsided were shocked, angry, upset, betrayed, etc about being blind-sided. Someone earlier in the season called their vote out a blindside and were all excited to check that off their list, when it wasn't even a blindside. Hai reacted pretty cheerfully about it.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I miss when the blindsided were shocked, angry, upset, betrayed, etc about being blind-sided. Someone earlier in the season called their vote out a blindside and were all excited to check that off their list, when it wasn't even a blindside. Hai reacted pretty cheerfully about it.

It's rly player-dependent -- even back in Guatemala you got "Blindsided, NICE!! Now THAT'S HOW YOU VOTE SOMEBODY OUT!!!"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That was a fun episode. Hai's reaction to the votes was great. I'm glad he can go get all the skin falling off his body fixed now.

curiousCat posted:

Sad to see Hai go. Really thought that was going to turn the other way -- I'm shocked they've allowed Jonathan to survive so long.

Jonathan isn't a threat imo. He showed he has no mind for strategy last episode and I don't think the Jury will give him a "wow he won a bunch of immunities" win, unless he's up against two others who have nothing going for them either. Most of the tribe seems to like him though which may work in his advantage.

Anyway here's my updated tiers

Omar
Drea

Lindsay
Mike

Maryanne
Jonathan

Romeo (yes the extra space was intentional)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jonathan is a weaker Xander at this point. I don't think he's a great meat shield and in general you want him gone but he's not going to blow up your game. Short of picking off all the women I don't see how he overcomes last week's edit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jonathan is actually a valuable ally in that he's always got a good chance to win immunity so your target doesn't.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

Jonathan is actually a valuable ally in that he's always got a good chance to win immunity so your target doesn't.

Until you're the backup target for when he loses.

Anyway, this is a pretty good season so far. I don't know if the Mike-Omar-Lindsay alliance has legs, but it might. Lindsay seems to be the best connected right now, she has Mike/Omar, Maryanne, and Drea, and she at least talks to Jonathan once in a while even if she's itching to cut him. The only one we haven't seen her talk to is Romeo, but he's practically CGI at this point.

Maryanne is also getting a surprising amount of strategic content. Not a whole lot, which makes sense as she's not really a driver of votes, but for a 'kooky character', she's got more in her than someone like Elaine in IotI.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Jonathan can actually make it to the end without any more major social blunders he seems hard to beat. He’s well liked and a comp beast and guys like him are always early targets. I don’t think he’s a massive threat at this stage. He’s obviously not strong strategically and they were all ready to vote him out. They were right to see Hai as a bigger strategic threat who was socially vulnerable at the moment. Jonathon won’t win every immunity. You’ll probably get another shot at him. You just shouldn’t pass too many times and give him that chance to beast through. And I assume we’re still playing by the shorter game fire making F4 format? So time is running out.

Hai’s downfall just seems like the classic one of working yourself into a good position and then getting a big head and becoming blind to the threat you’ve made yourself. It’s basically what Jonathan did. Omer seems vulnerable to it. Mike does too which Omer was playing on. Romeo managed to do it in like one week. The women all seem very level headed from what we’ve seen.

Romeo is in that weird position where he seems so far out of the loop that he wasn’t even a threat to the guy he was actively targeting. Whether that makes him a goat or if he can use that to scramble and make something happen will probably show what he has as a player. He seems too messy and impulsive to me.

I’d say Drea and Omer are the players who impress me most. I think Lindsey, Maryann, and Mike are all also in that solid position where it’s gonna come down to end the plans and resume building. Lindsey in particular is coming off to me like that under the radar player who sneaks a win.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I think Jonathan is basically drawing dead and is in that Xander-y role where the audience thinks highly of him but the people on the island don't respect him at all (maybe he gets Rocksroy's vote). Lindsay gave away the game revealing that her fear is being tainted by how lovely his strategic game is perceived. Romeo also can't win, so I think it's among the rest.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

At this point Romeo could probably make final 3 just because everyone forgot he was there.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, I thought this take was interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/uiq096/players_like_are_so_important/ (Warning, reddit.)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
definitely helps when there's an emotional, personal investment on part of the players, especially if those emotions compel them to make decisions not based purely on current strategy.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Popero posted:

I think Jonathan is basically drawing dead and is in that Xander-y role where the audience thinks highly of him but the people on the island don't respect him at all (maybe he gets Rocksroy's vote). Lindsay gave away the game revealing that her fear is being tainted by how lovely his strategic game is perceived. Romeo also can't win, so I think it's among the rest.

Counterpoint: I think Jonathan is gonna win it all

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know that I see the Xander/Jonathan comp. As I recall Xander directly betrayed a bunch of allies and then just kind of backed into the end game. Fans just liked him for whatever reason. But we know Jonathan is well liked on the island. Up until last week the only things anyone ever said about him was marveling at how much they liked him or what a comp beast he was or all he did at camp. Last week definitely hurt him, but no one actually seemed annoyed about Drea being the target. This cast seems to get that game play and the "8" has clearly just fallen apart completely. They didn't like how Jonathan handled it or how he talked to them and then there was the racial component at Tribal. We still don't technically know if they were gonna vote out Drea unless someone's said something online and I missed it.

I think obviously Jonathan took a big hit last week and he's clearly vulnerable. But he's been a proactive player to this point in a way I don't recall Xander being. Whether that will be enough I don't know but he's gotta survive the next few rounds of tribal first.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Like Popero said, his conversation with Lindsay in particular was so bad that she thinks she could lose just by being associated with his terrible strategic game. And this is someone that's been tight with him all game. I don't think it bodes that well for him. I do see the Xander comparison, where even though there's a lot to like there, the cast just doesn't respect him at that "winner" level.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It just feels a little backwards to me. Fans put a lot of game resume on Xander that we never saw the tribe show any signs of having. We have seen the tribe respect and like Jonathan. We've now also seen them turn on him and voice that they don't respect his strategic game. That definitely hurts his chances. But I think it leaves Jonathan in a very different place. If he can win out and sell that he did so through a combination of comp prowess and social game despite strategic setbacks and a big target that at least makes him a winning threat on paper. But of course that is not just dependent on him getting to the end but also which Jonathan he is. The likable guy he seemed to be most of the season or the "ok, I can stop playing nice now" guy he was last week.

Its also a matter of context. If Jonathan is vulnerable the next couple of tribals and the tribe is just like "eh, someone else is more dangerous" then that definitely bodes poorly for him. He needs to bear out that he IS a threat and since he can't really do that strategically he probably has to comp beast while continuing to monkey walk and play Tarzan.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

He may have lost the votes of some or all of the four black players that watched him jump into the whole "Oh so now I'M racist??" bit

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's definitely possible. There's a lot of unknown about how that all got dealt with after the fact. Whether Drea knows he was targeting her, if he was able to clean that up.

I definitely don't think he's a favorite at all. But if he does beast his way through it doesn't seem the same as Xander just backing his way to the end.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm not sure that this is a group of players that would give someone the win just because they were really strong at challenges during the season. That's really all Jonathan has over most of the players left in the game.

Sure he's played an okay social game, but we've also seen hints of him being pretty dismissive of other players, which is likely a big strike against him. And outside of maybe Romeo or Lindsey, the rest of the players left have also played really strong social games.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know that I see the Xander/Jonathan comp. As I recall Xander directly betrayed a bunch of allies and then just kind of backed into the end game.

he didn't even have a vote premerge, and then he was in the minority instantly postmerge. who did he betray lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My memory for past seasons is poo poo but wasn't specifically the problem Xander had that he told some lies early on and was trying to play angles and got busted and everyone just dropped him?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Xander’s group was on the bottom and then Xander managed to make it all the way to the end, so to the audience it looked like he turned a poor position into a strong one. But it’s also possible that because Xander’s group split almost immediately after that one vote with the failed idol steal, everyone else realized Xander wasn’t a threat and he just became everyone’s goat and the audience wasn’t shown that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Omar loving rules. That is my contribution.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sportsgenius86 posted:

Omar loving rules. That is my contribution.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Stone cold is running away with it!

Hai was a universal roster hit.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Xander had that really awesome play with the fake idol being stolen, I doubt Johnathan will pull off anything close to that good.

I just can't see the jury voting for a white guy after all the discussions this season unless they have a stellar final tribal showing and I don't think he is capable of that

Hais exit was great, it's nice seeing someone take it well. There's no way I'd be happy after getting voted off

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i never believed in hai

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
I know, “don’t trust the edit”, but Hai was looking good until last week's preview and, more badly, his out-of-nowhere backstory segment this week. Kiss of death. (And that he became cocky as al hell this week.)

Omar seems to be smooging all sides while keeping it all on the down low. His outrageous lie to Mike this week about Hai shouldn’t even cost Omar much since they all believed it even before it was said. Omar hasn’t won crap either, AFAIK.

$1.298 on Omar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I'm not great with making gifs, but thought this had to be captured. Omar is a fuckin king, one of my favorites in a while

https://i.imgur.com/uMHHJmG.gifv

e: Sad to see Hai go, but it wouldn't appear he had the awareness to feel the target on his back after being such an overt ringleader, or maybe it just wasn't shown. Would be happy to see him again!

TASTE THE PAIN!! fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 6, 2022