Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My favorite quote from there is: "But crypto remains a hammer in search of a nail; or, less charitably, a cult driven by technobabble and libertarian derp."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/jratcliff/status/1522227685728129026

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Don't you have to use a trading platform to you know send the coins? And then have the transaction verified by miners? How are those not a third party again?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Zil posted:

Don't you have to use a trading platform to you know send the coins? And then have the transaction verified by miners? How are those not a third party again?

I recall some coiner spouting off on how you could verify stuff with a pencil and paper and an intimate knowledge of the algorithm(s), lol.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

priznat posted:

I recall some coiner spouting off on how you could verify stuff with a pencil and paper and an intimate knowledge of the algorithm(s), lol.

If that were the case, why are people not doing that instead of spending hundreds on video cards? :thunk:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Zil posted:

If that were the case, why are people not doing that instead of spending hundreds on video cards? :thunk:

I think it was for the validity of a coin or something not the actual mining of a coin. But maybe you could attempt to mine a coin with pen and paper it would just take 100000 years :haw:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zil posted:

Um actually unlike using a bank as a third party bitcoins uses a hundred third parties all simultaneously verifying the transaction at once.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

That’s not fair.
That’s not fair at all.
There was multiple for each ape now.
There was all the slurp juice I needed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zil posted:

Because while verifying the solution after the fact is pretty easy, solving it the first time is insanely difficult.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2022/05/04/yuga-labs-bored-ape-yacht-club-chaotic-metaverse-nft-land-sale-underwater/amp/

Everyone who bought that ridiculous land sale poo poo from the board ape stuff the other day probably won't be making any money on it and probably spent more on gas fees than what they paid.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

TengenNewsEditor posted:

That’s not fair.
That’s not fair at all.
There was multiple for each ape now.
There was all the slurp juice I needed.

For sale: one ape, multiple slurps.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Beefed Owl posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2022/05/04/yuga-labs-bored-ape-yacht-club-chaotic-metaverse-nft-land-sale-underwater/amp/

Everyone who bought that ridiculous land sale poo poo from the board ape stuff the other day probably won't be making any money on it and probably spent more on gas fees than what they paid.

the game those NFTs are for isn't even out yet, just wait for that to launch and the value will go to the moon!

yes i know the game is never going to come out

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

istewart posted:

This landed in one of my spam boxes last week:

https://www.notboring.co/p/tokengated-commerce

Interestingly, this idea also seems like it would only matter to people with excess money to burn on ephemeral junk. We'd best get on board at last, I anticipate ravenous demand for the SA x Christmas Island brand collab,

Reading through that thing, the whole "Now you can get exclusive worthless junk personally curated for you to buy" left me feeling physical revulsion.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Hello Sailor posted:

For sale: one ape, never slurped.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

still reeling angry & upset that I can only use one slurpcoin per ape. whose idea was that. i will fight them

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Dumb argument. Yeah obviously you can't fax coins, but it's easy to feed in the paper notes. What's great is when I've done this in the past, my friends were so impressed with this trick that they sent the notes straight back.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

priznat posted:

I think it was for the validity of a coin or something not the actual mining of a coin. But maybe you could attempt to mine a coin with pen and paper it would just take 100000 years :haw:

how long would it take to play one frame of Doom?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/smhrbst/status/1522278678205321216?s=21&t=MRbHkZ7U6hl6Dhx6vx5e2Q

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Avynte posted:

Reading through that thing, the whole "Now you can get exclusive worthless junk personally curated for you to buy" left me feeling physical revulsion.

The implicit assumption that one's identity is primarily established through one's consumer choices is totally :barf:, but also unsurprising coming from committed coiners. How you spend your money is what defines you!

It makes a perverse amount of sense that they would target brand collaborations with this, though. It seems like a particularly high-profit area of fashion right now. I met a guy who spent a lot of time flipping streetwear, and that whole scene is flooded with FOMO too.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
LOLing after reading that ApeCoin is worth $4500 or whatever and the week prior I read an article about a kid using 2 ApeCoin to buy his stupid burger from the BAYC burger pop up or whatever. Most expensive burger he ever bought.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Boywhiz88 posted:

LOLing after reading that ApeCoin is worth $4500 or whatever and the week prior I read an article about a kid using 2 ApeCoin to buy his stupid burger from the BAYC burger pop up or whatever. Most expensive burger he ever bought.

and in 12 months ape coin will be worth nothing, so the hamburger will have been free

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Zil posted:

And then have the transaction verified by miners? How are those not a third party again?

I always like to just say "The miners are a third party" and watch them contort into how they're not.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

apecoin is worth like $13, more or less the same as a couple weeks ago

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is that popup restaurant paying for rent and utilities in real money or fake money?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
even crypto people dont price their poo poo in crypto, i dont think their landlord is taking apes

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

drk posted:

apecoin is worth like $13, more or less the same as a couple weeks ago

Seems like I missed that it was “305 ApeCoin” to make the parcel approx 4500 British pounds. My b!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

ryde posted:

I always like to just say "The miners are a third party" and watch them contort into how they're not.

To steel-man the argument, I suppose that you could argue that the miners have no say in the execution of the transaction and technically don't know any details about it other than "X coins from account A to account B", thus have no context or oversight on it.

Which, not knowing that much about the internal workings, may not in fact be true. I want to recall that a transaction can be denied for a host of reasons including "I don't like you". Certainly context-free transactions aren't something unique to crypto, I can write a check to my piano teacher without a memo on it and the bank knows nothing more than that I gave this person $50.

I just realized that writing checks, the paper and pen thing, is safer, faster, and just as anonymous as crypto

lmao

drk
Jan 16, 2005

El Spamo posted:

To steel-man the argument, I suppose that you could argue that the miners have no say in the execution of the transaction and technically don't know any details about it other than "X coins from account A to account B", thus have no context or oversight on it.

Which, not knowing that much about the internal workings, may not in fact be true. I want to recall that a transaction can be denied for a host of reasons including "I don't like you". Certainly context-free transactions aren't something unique to crypto, I can write a check to my piano teacher without a memo on it and the bank knows nothing more than that I gave this person $50.

I just realized that writing checks, the paper and pen thing, is safer, faster, and just as anonymous as crypto

lmao

At least with Bitcoin, the miners can pick and choose transactions as they like, which is why you have to bribe them with a fee to get your transactions processed

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

drk posted:

At least with Bitcoin, the miners can pick and choose transactions as they like, which is why you have to bribe them with a fee to get your transactions processed

Not really sure where I'm going with this thought, but from the perspective of someone who has failed at/been failed by the traditional banking system, overdraft fees might seem "just as bad" as gas fees.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

El Spamo posted:

To steel-man the argument,
Don't

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

istewart posted:

A century-old brand like Gucci gets to endorse a really hot brand like Superplastic,

I've been trying to find out since Guggimon wound up in Fortnite who the actual Superplastic fans are and after hours of research I'm not convinced any of them are real

deadwing fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 6, 2022

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

drk posted:

with eth we get more advanced 3rd party free transactions where dudes with fast links can just observe what kind of transaction you'd be doing and if profitable, bribe the miners to run their transaction instead

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
He use de juice on de astro ape, he mint em both up
He use de juice on de astro ape, he mint em both up
He use de juice on de astro ape, called Twitter woke em up
said “Twitter, can’t I get a break”
He said “Twitter, and delete this viral take?”

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cryptorepublic makes me think of cryptofascist, like they're going around trying to hide the fact that want a democratically-elected government of the people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but the crypto in cryptofascist is the older non stupid definition of crypto.

Also some environmental scientist should scam code monkeys by selling them cryptobiotic soil.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

JammyB posted:

Dumb argument. Yeah obviously you can't fax coins, but it's easy to feed in the paper notes. What's great is when I've done this in the past, my friends were so impressed with this trick that they sent the notes straight back.

What's wrong with using a third party intermediary.

I can send cash to my friends interstates instantly using 3 different apps on my phone including one sponsored by the reserve bank (who are the same people that forced the banks to have instant interbank transfers).

This is just solving a problem no one has again. Like the time tech bros reinvented buses and libraries.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Party Ape posted:

What's wrong with using a third party intermediary.

I can send cash to my friends interstates instantly using 3 different apps on my phone including one sponsored by the reserve bank (who are the same people that forced the banks to have instant interbank transfers).

This is just solving a problem no one has again. Like the time tech bros reinvented buses and libraries.

Wait. you don't send a kilogram of gold to your friends using the US postal system on a weekly or monthly basis?

??

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You don't even need someone's bank details to send them money nowadays. Phone number is plenty. It takes like five seconds and iirc costs nothing.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Sure with venmo you can have the money transferred immediately for like a 1% fee or you can wait a few days and get it for free or you could just try to do it through Bitcoin where that fee fluctuates wildly and still takes a few loving days and you have no free option gee I wonder which one is better

Bitcoin is a lot like Republican identity politics trying to create non solutions to problems that don't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1522366891481870336?s=20&t=-nFmveWuGAdRtvKpp5NNKg