Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pattonesque posted:

1. that rules nice play

2. WTF was gong in in chat???

Thanks! The enemy healer was assuming because their teammate's btag has McCree in it that they're a rapist like the abuser piece of poo poo blizzard employee who the character was originally named after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Eiba posted:

Overwatch is the only FPS I can stand to play with them because I am not good at shooting things, and I don't really care to get good at shooting things. I've actually been really happy with how much variety there is in character selection. It's nice to feel like there's characters for your playstyle when you're not a hardcore FPS fan.

Sounds like things are being rebalanced to gently caress over people like me at the behest of the more hardcore player base. Oh well. I imagine people like me aren't going to be the loudest voices when there are balance issues.
a.) There are very, very loud players like you they are 70% of the people on the battle.net forums.
b.) None of the support heroes have had their kits changed except to give them all health regeneration.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

No Wave posted:

b.) None of the support heroes have had their kits changed except to give them all health regeneration.

Brig can't stun anymore.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

teagone posted:

Brig can't stun anymore.
Right, my bad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

teagone posted:

Thanks! The enemy healer was assuming because their teammate's btag has McCree in it that they're a rapist like the abuser piece of poo poo blizzard employee who the character was originally named after.

dang

anyway, I main Ana and she feels v. powerful in the beta! The lack of shields means you can pull off huge nades and sleeps all the time, plus autoheal means you don't have to blow nade on self-healing if you've got a decent position. of course flankers can ruin your day but you can credibly fend them off and also that's kinda how the DPS/support interaction should go

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 4, 2022

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I also preferred playing Support and Tank, and the gradual nerfing of Support in OW1 was a big factor in me playing pretty much never.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

a.) There are very, very loud players like you they are 70% of the people on the battle.net forums.
a.) That's good(?) to hear?
b.) From the reports I heard, with there only being one tank that you can just walk around, it sounds like there's more flanking and supports randomly dying in an unfun way, if they don't have a lot of mobility.

I'm a bit confused why you're trying to say both that a lot of people have recognized an issue and that there is no issue, but I'm not super invested in the issue either way. Either it's balanced or not, and I haven't played it, and I probably will play it when my friends get back into it. I'm slightly worried it'll be a shittier experience for me.

The main intent of my previous post was to provide a counterexample to the folks verging on saying support should just be more DPS with some healing, without calling that idea out specifically because I think people were mostly joking about it. The best part of Overwatch has been the diversity of playstyles so I really hope they don't move away from that.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Putting a pixel on another pixel and pushing M1 is by far the least interesting part of Overwatch.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

headcase posted:

Putting a pixel on another pixel and pushing M1 is by far the least interesting part of Overwatch.

Putting a pixel on another pixel and pushing M2 with Sojourn is pretty cool imo.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

Putting a pixel on another pixel and pushing M2 with Sojourn is pretty cool imo.

Yah. That was a nice replay.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's truly bizarre how often CoD comes up in this thread specifically, do people just not know about other arena/class shooters, or is it just being used as a weird disingenuous insult against The Other Gamers

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Countblanc posted:

It's truly bizarre how often CoD comes up in this thread specifically, do people just not know about other arena/class shooters, or is it just being used as a weird disingenuous insult against The Other Gamers

I don't remember ever mentioning CoD, except to say that I enjoy the ironsight russian rifle in CoD2. But I can see the point that there are enough shooters out there. It is fine for 1 game to be a cartoony first person moba thing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

dang

anyway, I main Ana and she feels v. powerful in the beta! The lack of shields means you can pull off huge nades and sleeps all the time, plus autoheal means you don't have to blow nade on self-healing if you've got a decent position. of course flankers can ruin your day but you can credibly fend them off and also that's kinda how the DPS/support interaction should go

I watched an Ana toy with a Reaper for a good three minutes yesterday, and it was hilarious even though we ended up losing the match because both of the supports were distracted laughing at his sleeping rear end. The support heal over time buff has some wonderful side effects.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mercy isn't bad at all, especially if you're playing casually: healing and giving a damage buff to the more-important-than-ever tank or an effective DPS is more crucial than ever in 5v5

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I like Mercy because I get to play puppet master and use the blue beam to enable my minion to do big murder while I sit here and smile.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
Role queue sucks because you can’t just switch to counter the one guy crushing your team then going back to your original plan so it takes all the counter play strategy out of the game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arzachel posted:

Yes, bring back 350 hp raidboss tracer, now with extra raidboss Sombra. This will surely make people want to play support!!!

Easy solution; anything that gives bonus health in the form of armor or shields that isn't an ult doesn't give a flat universal amount, but specific amounts for each specific hero, also maybe not allow them to stack either if needed

Countblanc posted:

Probably because it's the other big FPS franchise the parent company owns

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Irregardless posted:

Role queue sucks because you can’t just switch to counter the one guy crushing your team then going back to your original plan so it takes all the counter play strategy out of the game

You still have 5 (healers), 8 (Tanks) and 16 (DPS) other heroes to choose from. Still plenty of game changing potential.

I generally don't like multiplayer shooters, but Overwatch series has been something different from everything else.
The player roles and varied shooting/fighting mechanics is what makes it great.
There's room for Headclickers, Spammers, Raidbosses and Healbots. There's something for everyone and they're roughly on balance.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There still needs to be some sort of test you must pass before a game starts, to prove you're alive. Like if a MH game starts, you should need to spell the letter W

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

There still needs to be some sort of test you must pass before a game starts, to prove you're alive. Like if a MH game starts, you should need to spell the letter W

"o-r-i-s-a"

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I played a few rounds of OW1 tonight for the first time in many, many years. I don't know what some of these new champs even do and I at least heard that Mercy doesn't have her real ult anymore, so that wasn't too much of a surprise. I really like that in quickplay it's literally one round, not even any switching sides. That really does make it quick, which I love.

There's still a hint of frustration with the usual things: teammates not noticing the soldier up high somewhere, murdering everyone, and stuff like that, and my old favorite: overextending on defense with 30 seconds left and throwing the round by giving the team two free picks, but since I don't go in with a very competitive mindset, I don't mind. I had fun.

I'm reading the debate in the thread about roles and meta as a casual outsider, but if we're going down to 5v5 and everyone likes to play DPS best, why isn't it one tank, one support, and three dps? Scrubby dps would blame everything on the tank/support, but they do that already. Wouldn't that help with queue times? Or am I missing something?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

teagone posted:

good thing name changes are free!

oh wait they're charging $10 now for some reason

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Danknificent posted:

I'm reading the debate in the thread about roles and meta as a casual outsider, but if we're going down to 5v5 and everyone likes to play DPS best, why isn't it one tank, one support, and three dps? Scrubby dps would blame everything on the tank/support, but they do that already. Wouldn't that help with queue times? Or am I missing something?

When they were experimenting with 1-3-2, one thing they mentioned is going with 1 support can feel pretty bad for that support as a lot of fights would basically come down to which team kills the other support first which means you've got 5 people focusing you every fight. This could possibly be somewhat alleviated via making super supports (so you don't die instantly to a dive), but you still could easily end up in a situation where killing that one support has way too much influence on which team wins the fight. It's different than these new super tanks that you can at least kill last after taking out the rest of the team.

The beta queue times we're seeing now are essentially irrelevant IMO, as a) it's beta, b) almost all the novelty in the first round of OW2 content was focused on tanks, and to a lesser extent DPS (new hero, multiple reworks). Hard to know how popular tank will remain once the novelty dies down. DPS queues already should be better in theory, as they're now 40% of the game instead of 33%. Despite some claims, a decent amount of players do like playing support (tended to be more popular than tank in OW1), but I do think some supports don't feel that great to play right now with how OW2 plays. If they don't address that, I think that will drive some support players to become tank or DPS mains, which would leave us with something closer to the unbalanced queues we're seeing in beta. However, they have said they are looking into addressing that. If they do a good job with that (extremely wishful thinking), queue times might not be as bad as OW1 for DPS players. If tank remains a popular role though (like we're seeing in beta), tank queue times will continue to suck, but going to 1-3-1 wouldn't help with that.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Splinter posted:

When they were experimenting with 1-3-2, one thing they mentioned is going with 1 support can feel pretty bad for that support as a lot of fights would basically come down to which team kills the other support first which means you've got 5 people focusing you every fight. This could possibly be somewhat alleviated via making super supports (so you don't die instantly to a dive), but you still could easily end up in a situation where killing that one support has way too much influence on which team wins the fight. It's different than these new super tanks that you can at least kill last after taking out the rest of the team.

The beta queue times we're seeing now are essentially irrelevant IMO, as a) it's beta, b) almost all the novelty in the first round of OW2 content was focused on tanks, and to a lesser extent DPS (new hero, multiple reworks). Hard to know how popular tank will remain once the novelty dies down. DPS queues already should be better in theory, as they're now 40% of the game instead of 33%. Despite some claims, a decent amount of players do like playing support (tended to be more popular than tank in OW1), but I do think some supports don't feel that great to play right now with how OW2 plays. If they don't address that, I think that will drive some support players to become tank or DPS mains, which would leave us with something closer to the unbalanced queues we're seeing in beta. However, they have said they are looking into addressing that. If they do a good job with that (extremely wishful thinking), queue times might not be as bad as OW1 for DPS players. If tank remains a popular role though (like we're seeing in beta), tank queue times will continue to suck, but going to 1-3-1 wouldn't help with that.

Makes sense :hai:

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Another random complaint, how is it so hard to get the team color right in the kill feed for non standard stuff like a Mercy rez? This also happens with displaying point ownership on KOTH if I'm remembering right. I'm no master of game development but how is nailing that down still eluding them at this point?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

flakeloaf posted:

It occurs to me now that the move speed buff is probably the reason I can't hit poo poo with Mei 's m2 anymore,

Epilogue: https://twitter.com/CaramelKaiteki/status/1520095549256523777

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Another random complaint, how is it so hard to get the team color right in the kill feed for non standard stuff like a Mercy rez? This also happens with displaying point ownership on KOTH if I'm remembering right. I'm no master of game development but how is nailing that down still eluding them at this point?

I personally enjoy it when my team wins a game and the text on screen says, "VICTORY" but the announcer voice says, "DEFEAT!"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/Reinforce/status/1522281353743519744

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/beta/

zen kick supremacy

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Whole Hog change is good. Sad to see the Solider changes but it had to be done

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I love these quick paced beta tunings.

Roadhog is back!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cool Sojourn buff. I never felt like her railgun alt fire was hard to hit though, so cool change lol.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

That Zen change is amazing, POWER KICK

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

teagone posted:

Cool Sojourn buff. I never felt like her railgun alt fire was hard to hit though, so cool change lol.

I kept barely missing, to the point that to my eye it looked like it should have hit, so I'm happy with it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That Zen change is amazing, POWER KICK

speedbost zen, nano zen, bubble zen, have him charge into the enemy team kicking like mad

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
No fix for Mercy's ult? Or was that already fixed (or intentional)?

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

It okay they've only been working on OW2 for... 3 years? Give them a break.

edit: Patch changes look good though.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 5, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Splinter posted:

What's up with mercy's ult?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Splinter posted:

There was a hotfix for it April 29th.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

What's up with mercy's ult?

AFAIK, and I and some others I was playing with experienced this as well, it wasn't branching properly (ie only single target).

e:

Proven posted:

There was a hotfix for it April 29th.

Ahh awesome

Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
QP classic is active on the OW2 beta and its queue times are quicker than support which is nice