Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah Infinity Train season 4 isn't bad, it's just tonally not what the audience wanted or expected for a series finale and clearly wasn't intended by the creator of the show to be the last season. It'd be remembered better if the show had gotten a proper conclusion.

Infinity Train as a whole is definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's been a while but I wonder if you might just enjoy Infinity Train as a whole better if you just watch season 4 either between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. Is there anything barring that from working?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If you aren't stopping at cartoons, Strange Days at Blake Holsey High (90% of which is on US Amazon Prime, although the finale will have to be found elsewhere) and Netflix's Series of Unfortunate Events adaptions are both really fun live action children's shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was tremendously disappointed with A Series Of Unfortunate Events, mostly because they seem to change their mind about the tone and plot of the piece between Seasons 2 and 3.

Season 2 is the highpoint though, easily. Some great stuff there.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I liked it and thought it was pretty faithful to the books tonally, but I was a bit disappointed at how much they explained everything. For a book series that is babby's introduction to stories where you'll never have all the answers, this show really liked giving you all the answers. That said, I did like that it felt like a sort of reward for people who read the books and had been stewing on the mysteries for years.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pakled posted:

Yeah Infinity Train season 4 isn't bad, it's just tonally not what the audience wanted or expected for a series finale and clearly wasn't intended by the creator of the show to be the last season. It'd be remembered better if the show had gotten a proper conclusion.

Infinity Train as a whole is definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of cartoons.
Actually I felt angry at season 4 because I legit thought it was a bad story. I didn't care for the characters or their drama.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It's been a while but I wonder if you might just enjoy Infinity Train as a whole better if you just watch season 4 either between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. Is there anything barring that from working?

Season four is so separated they it could technically be watched anywhere after season one. I imagine 1 2 4 3 might work. Leave things on an uncertain but hopeful note.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Infinity train season 3 is better than season 1, and season 4 is merely inoffensive rather than standout fantastic

I definitely wouldn't rec s3 to someone who isn't fond of dark storylines or uses words like "emotional manipulation" to describe watching a TV show though

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I honestly like season 4 as a palate cleanser following season 3, even knowing that there’s nothing after.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh nah, I'm with JazzFlight. Season four baaaad.

The characters are unlikable, and their arc isn't well handled. There are a bunch of cool ideas, but it mostly didn't work for me.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Season 4 is boring and predictable and bad

The first three have some fun twists and turns but
Season 4 is so by the numbers
None of the cars are fun, the character arcs are incredibly predictable and just kind of repeat episode-to-episode

If it was the first season, the show would not have had any fans

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
IT Season 4 felt like they were angling for ‘they’re in love but haven’t worked that out yet’ but couldn’t tell that story because of CN, so we got this light version of it that’s pretty weak. It was still fun though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There are two good cars. The museum car and the reverse Beauty and the Beast castle car.

But there are, notably, fewer cars, and everyone who they meet is some variation of psychopath or jerk. It's just not a very pleasant experience, everyone is grumpy and irrational... it's all purposeful, and it's part of the show's world building and is setting up a status quo for the fifth book, but the fourth book is just a bad time. Fine as part of a bigger narrative, a sour end to a series.

The_Doctor posted:

IT Season 4 felt like they were angling for ‘they’re in love but haven’t worked that out yet’ but couldn’t tell that story because of CN, so we got this light version of it that’s pretty weak. It was still fun though.

Yeah, this is a huge part of why the season sucks. They're so obviously a couple and the season ends with, like, a really weird message about codependency? But where the two guys stay together? And about coming out... as a musician?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if one reason it's not great is because it got rewritten to strip out explicitly addressing core queer romance as, like, the whole point of the journey and that taken away it's just meandering.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Youtube has been recommending Bluey clips and I'm really surprised by how good this show is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been watching Naruto because I got a good chunk into it years ago but forgot where I got up to, and I like the undercurrent that a lot of antagonists are stuck in a mindset thinking that their problems are inherent to their being, but then Naruto throws a philosophical wrench into their beliefs, either by defeating them despite what should logically happen, or just showing that he has got over similar problems despite having the same underlying issues that plagued the other guys, and it makes them realise "Hey, maybe it's not ME. Maybe everyone else I interacted with WAS just poo poo..."

Like Neji thinks people can't change because of a terrible tradition that his family enforces, which Naruto disproves by beating seven hells out of him in a fight that should have been a foregone conclusion, and Gaara thinks that he's unloveable because of serious mental illnesses compounding with a ton of trauma from his garbage village, but on fighting Naruto and seeing that despite being the exact same type of entity Naruto DOES have people that care about him, it seems to have finally broken him out of that mindset, and he's starting to try to reach out to his allies, apologising to Kankuro and the fan lady for causing them trouble, the first time he's let someone in since he was six years old. Now he realises that maybe the problem was the people in his life, and that maybe if he tries to look for them he might be able to earn the love he's missed for so long. I don't know what happens in later arcs with Gaara, but I wish him well for when I get to that part. He deserves a break.

I also like that Itachi and Orochimaru are the only main villains throughout, at least so far with some minor characters filling the roster, as it avoids Dragonball escalation. It's not "Oh no, this guys 10000 times stronger than Orochimaru!" It's "Oh, he's back, with a new plan, but Naruto et al are stronger than last time and are closing the power gap and collecting other strong characters themselves, so they'll eventually have enough people who are strong enough that they can finally put this guy down for good!"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 5, 2022

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been watching Naruto because I got a good chunk into it years ago but forgot where I got up to, and I like the undercurrent that a lot of antagonists are stuck in a mindset thinking that their problems are inherent to their being, but then Naruto throws a philosophical wrench into their beliefs, either by defeating them despite what should logically happen, or just showing that he has got over similar problems despite having the same underlying issues that plagued the other guys, and it makes them realise "Hey, maybe it's not ME. Maybe everyone else I interacted with WAS just poo poo..."

Like Neji thinks people can't change because of a terrible tradition that his family enforces, which Naruto disproves by beating seven hells out of him in a fight that should have been a foregone conclusion, and Gaara thinks that he's unloveable because of serious mental illnesses compounding with a ton of trauma from his garbage village, but on fighting Naruto and seeing that despite being the exact same type of entity Naruto DOES have people that care about him, it seems to have finally broken him out of that mindset, and he's starting to try to reach out to his allies, apologising to Kankuro and the fan lady for causing them trouble, the first time he's let someone in since he was six years old. Now he realises that maybe the problem was the people in his life, and that maybe if he tries to look for them he might be able to earn the love he's missed for so long. I don't know what happens in later arcs with Gaara, but I wish him well for when I get to that part. He deserves a break.

I also like that Itachi and Orochimaru are the only main villains throughout, at least so far with some minor characters filling the roster, as it avoids Dragonball escalation. It's not "Oh no, this guys 10000 times stronger than Orochimaru!" It's "Oh, he's back, with a new plan, but Naruto et al are stronger than last time and are closing the power gap and collecting other strong characters themselves, so they'll eventually have enough people who are strong enough that they can finally put this guy down for good!"
Yeah, Naruto was pretty good, he’s like a Steven Universe character that will never give up on anyone, even to his supreme detriment. I do think the sequel series should have ended around the Pain arc, though. That whole War storyline was bloated and boring as poo poo.

I haven’t watched much of Boruto, but I do plan to eventually.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Naruto makes me irrationally angry because it starts off as a meditation on how hard work and gumption can overcome bullshit ideas of family lineage and genetic superiority and then by the end makes Naruto ninja Jesus with deep spiritual and blood ties to the most important figures in the ninja world.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Naruto makes me irrationally angry because it starts off as a meditation on how hard work and gumption can overcome bullshit ideas of family lineage and genetic superiority and then by the end makes Naruto ninja Jesus with deep spiritual and blood ties to the most important figures in the ninja world.

that's pretty rational tbh

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

readingatwork posted:

yeah that's actually quite a natural response to a huge thematic failure like that, particularly in this day and age with all the problems we face and all that jazz.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You're just jealous that Naruto made it in the world with nothing but hard work and a loan of twenty million dollars from his parents.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

MorningMoon posted:

You're just jealous that Naruto made it in the world with nothing but hard work and a loan of twenty million dollars from his parents.

Exactly, I for one love when my escapism reinforces the values that make my reality terrible.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

readingatwork posted:

I don't think that was ever much a theme, except for one character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Came up in another thread that Naruto is an interesting character, and while he is a loud brash idiot there's reasons for that, and at least to be fair a lot of his advantages start out anything but. And he may have a learning disability.

Comparisons to pro athletes came up with shonen protagonists, and oddly enough one of the most common traits of exceptional athletes is having multiple older siblings. Monkey D Luffy anybody?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Said character also almost never won a fight despite all the hard work he put in

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is... bait right? Yeah, like I'm going to fall for *that*.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's less hard work really and more about getting stuck in other people's perceptions of your own worth.

Neji's superiority complex come from him being perceived as exceptionally talented and the fact that he's been irrevocably branded so that he cannot disobey the Head family has got it stuck in his head that people are always irrevocably what they are and can never be anything else. Hinata challenges that by taking a leaf from Naruto's book and refusing the back down where previously she was a very hesitant person and basically makes Neji nearly kill her, then Naruto kicks Neji's rear end really hard in a fight that according to Neji's philosophy should have been unwinnable for him. Then the news that his fathers sacrifice was his own choice and his uncle was against it allows him to realise that even within his own family their destinies are not immutable.

Gaara thought he was naturally unloveable because everyone in his village shunned him no matter how much he tried to make up for mistakes he made lashing out unintentionally, and then that came to a head when the one person in the town that did show him love ended up trying to assassinate him, and admitting that neither her nor his own mother actually loved him, which fundamentally broke something in Gaara and left him taking pleasure in nothing but killing, while also giving him a weird complex where he perceives his demon sometimes as his actual mother because he's conflating everything he's ever heard about himself all together, including the contradictory stuff, and he's already mentally unstable.
By the time he is fully defeated, he has heard Naruto's backstory and knows that he had people in the village who loved him despite his demonic nature, which finally allows him to accept that maybe he's not unloveable, and that it was just a lot of other individuals being assholes, and he starts trying to reach out to his companions as they help him escape Leaf village by apologising for his behaviour, to which Kankuro accepts his apology. He's starting to heal, and break his perception that came from other people.

On a much smaller scale, Ebisu fails to connect with Konohomaru as a teacher because he's stuck in his perception of the kid being the Hokage's grandson, which Konohomaru resents as he wants to stand on his own feet. Naruto is the first person outside his class to call him by his real name instead of a title.

Rock and Naruto are both direct counterpoints to this philosophy of perception.

Rock Lee was never thought of as a Shinobi in his youth, but worked his rear end off to master Taijutsu enough to prove to everyone that he could do well despite no magic ability, and few people throughout the series outside of flashbacks perceives him as anything LESS than a shinobi. Hell, he does better at fighting Gaara than anyone else outside of Sasuke and Naruto.

Naruto was only ever thought of as the fox kid to be feared by everyone but his teacher Iruka, but he never let himself internalise that, and started winning people over one by one by just being awesome enough to win their respect, first Hinata, then Sasuke, then it snowballs from there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sasuke is apparently actually reasonable about Naruto to start off, recognising they have simar backgrounds and just responded to them differently. Naruto probably just goes on about the power of friendship simply because just having people who actually like him is fantastic after growing up so lonely.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sasuke is apparently actually reasonable about Naruto to start off, recognising they have simar backgrounds and just responded to them differently. Naruto probably just goes on about the power of friendship simply because just having people who actually like him is fantastic after growing up so lonely.

Yeah, his first conversation with Sakura is him scolding her for making GBS threads on Naruto because he knows what it's like to grow up completely alone, and understands his obsession with being Acknowledged. He's also the first character in the show that acknowledges him as a main character during missions, in that everyone else that they meet is obsessing over fighting Sasuke, which leaves Naruto feeling frustrated because he's like "But what about me? Does no one consider ME a remarkable enough challenge?" and Sasuke is the one who's like "BTW mate, I want to fight you later." He's the first one who's interested in fighting Naruto, which is a sweet moment. It also has a funny reversal where Sasuke ends up jealous for the exact same reason when his brother Itachi comes into play and only gives a poo poo about Naruto and it's Sasuke's turn to be all "But what about me, who is entwined into your entire backstory? Don't you care about my blood oath to kill you a little?"

The show also calls out how BS main character status is, when Sakura and Ino are going to the hospital to visit Sasuke and Ino's ONLY thinking of Sasuke. When Sakura picks up a second flower, Ino's like "Hey, one's enough" and Sakura just responds "Yeah, this ones for Rock Lee" and Ino feels really guilty all of a sudden that going to see anyone BUT Sasuke didn't cross her mind at all.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 6, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another cartoon question, how well do the following shows still hold up (I have not watched any of them but I’m considering it):

Steven Universe
Star Vs The Forces Of Evil
Miraculous Ladybug

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The first one is really good, the second one I liked a lot but seem to be relatively alone in enjoying the final season of, and the third I watched a few seasons, thought it was alright if formulaic (although one of the season finales does some cool stuff and it does expand the status quo) but stopped because season 4 was completely released out of order.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Larryb posted:

Another cartoon question, how well do the following shows still hold up (I have not watched any of them but I’m considering it):

Steven Universe
Star Vs The Forces Of Evil
Miraculous Ladybug
they're all fine, do not look at fandom discussion of them beforehand (or afterward, or ever)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

they're all fine, do not look at fandom discussion of them beforehand (or afterward, or ever)

If I looked at fandom discussion in general I probably wouldn’t be able to enjoy anything (though some are slightly better than others)

Also have Steven Universe and Ladybug ended at this point or are they still going?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Larryb posted:

If I looked at fandom discussion in general I probably wouldn’t be able to enjoy anything (though some are slightly better than others)

Also have Steven Universe and Ladybug ended at this point or are they still going?

Steven Universe ended, and had an epilogue series to explore some extra ideas.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Steven Universe ended, and had an epilogue series to explore some extra ideas.

I think there was a movie or something as well, when does that take place?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Between the end of the show and the start of the Epilogue

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Between the end of the show and the start of the Epilogue

Is the movie required watching for Future or is it mostly standalone?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Aspects of the movie are referred to in Future, so it's required. It's also really good though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Steven Universe spent a long time at the start just fooling around before developing some more narrative-ish bits, but it always kept going back to one-off episodes just foolin' around in the beach town. It is primarily a chill show. There is drama eventually (episode 25 I think is the big point where it really starts to show), but the show kinda grows organically towards it with Steven.

Star vs. is more of a haphazard thing that took a while to find its feet and went through some major shifts between seasons, and I think even stumbles at the end. There's a whole adolescence to the show that manifests in both how a lot of the magic is this kind of monkeycheese random aesthetic and how all the characters are dumb angsty california teenagers. At least when the show's narrative ramps up the things the teens are angsty over are real with stakes. Season 1 is almost entirely one-off high school stories, season 2 actually lays some ground for season 3 to get some big drama going, and then season 4 is...something weird that tries to address big issues with the world it created. It's a neat show, but kinda grating at times. I actually watched through the show in kinda reverse-season order (3-2-1-4) and it was interesting for me to assume that things had more setup than they actually got.

I feel like the opening themes of Steven Universe and Star Vs. pretty perfectly express what their shows are like. Although the end credits of Star Vs. were compelling enough to make me watch to the end of episodes I didn't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, I just realized that The Owl House basically copied its first set of end credits from Star Vs (either that or it was an intentional homage)

Also in regards to Ladybug, why did the originally planned 2D series fall through out of curiosity? It looked really good based on the promos I’ve seen at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 6, 2022