Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, despite their metal-oriented marketing, Neural's plugins can be quite versatile. I've heard great things about their new Petrucci plugin and it's supposed to be versatile too. I'd probably demo that one, Cory Wong and Nolly first, but you can try all of them for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I made a post in the VST thread yesterday, I'm actually trying to sell my Nolly license to cover my EZ drummer upgrade if anyone is interested. They allow you to do that, so it's not sketch.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Is there a big table somewhere of what amps and effects come with each thing?

Also i know they were all just on sale. Is that usually a one a year thing?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.reddit.com/r/NeuralDSP/comments/qhstrn/useful_post_i_found_going_over_some_of_the_known/ probably the best you'll get. They aren't very forthcoming.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
They have sales twice a year - one earlier in the year, and one for Black Friday. Your best bet is to sign up for the mailing list, which pretty much only sends out messages for new releases and sales.

There's a list of amps on the Neural subreddit, which is decently active:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NeuralDSP/comments/ge1bca/what_amps_are_the_plugins_modeled_after/

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
You can also demo them for free for, I think it's 2 weeks? Or 1. Something like that. If you demo'd it before and it was a long time ago, Neural will frequently let you do it again if you email and ask nicely.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Don't buy NeuralDSP, buy a toob amp for the toob tonez. Something classic like a Mesa Dual Rec, or Bogner Ecstasy, or Dumble Whatchamajig.

Neural is good tho yeah. I am sad and cut my demos using a Rocksmith cable, laptop and Amplitube lol

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks guys. I’m hoping he can help source/recommend one.

Ok so the luthier reckons it’s not worth it to try and fix this guy. If I import a random neck I’m looking at like $500+ with no guarantee it would be ok. Or he can make me a new one for $1k.

Either way I’d be dropping ‘new guitar’ money into something not amazing. I don’t have a huge amount of sentimentality for it.

Are there any brands to avoid? From what I’ve been reading it sounds like the quality of Asian made guitars have come leaps and bounds in the last 10 years.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Ok so the luthier reckons it’s not worth it to try and fix this guy. If I import a random neck I’m looking at like $500+ with no guarantee it would be ok. Or he can make me a new one for $1k.

Either way I’d be dropping ‘new guitar’ money into something not amazing. I don’t have a huge amount of sentimentality for it.

Are there any brands to avoid? From what I’ve been reading it sounds like the quality of Asian made guitars have come leaps and bounds in the last 10 years.

Ah, I didn't know you weren't in the USA. But yeah, hard not to agree that you should cut your losses with those numbers. Before you trash the thing, I'd definitely snag those pickups though. Even if you sit on them for years and years, one day you'll be glad you did.

Anyway, the standard advice around these parts is to get a Squier Classic Vibe something. Now their prices have gone up and they were already more expensive overseas, but they really do seem to click with me. There are no shortage of options though. Epiphone, Gretsch, Ibanez, and Yamaha all make pretty good starter guitars. My advice would be to go one up from the base models if you can afford it. In general, it really does get you a nicer instrument, and in a lot of cases one that doesn't need anything beyond a basic setup. Shopping your secondhand market is also not a bad idea, but I'm not sure how much of one you have.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

nitsuga posted:

Ah, I didn't know you weren't in the USA. But yeah, hard not to agree that you should cut your losses with those numbers. Before you trash the thing, I'd definitely snag those pickups though. Even if you sit on them for years and years, one day you'll be glad you did.

Anyway, the standard advice around these parts is to get a Squier Classic Vibe something. Now their prices have gone up and they were already more expensive overseas, but they really do seem to click with me. There are no shortage of options though. Epiphone, Gretsch, Ibanez, and Yamaha all make pretty good starter guitars. My advice would be to go one up from the base models if you can afford it. In general, it really does get you a nicer instrument, and in a lot of cases one that doesn't need anything beyond a basic setup. Shopping your secondhand market is also not a bad idea, but I'm not sure how much of one you have.

Yeah not in the US so it makes it all a bit harder. There are a couple of secondhand places I can check but I feel I’ll need to get my knowledge up a bit more to ensure I’m not buying crap.

How are LTD and Jackson these days? I have some weird desire to get some kind of shred machine (but no Floyd Rose thank you!) not that I can shred.

And yeah I’m keeping those pickups for sure.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I have a JS32 King V and I love it. I put a Dimarzio in the bridge tho.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah not in the US so it makes it all a bit harder. There are a couple of secondhand places I can check but I feel I’ll need to get my knowledge up a bit more to ensure I’m not buying crap.

How are LTD and Jackson these days? I have some weird desire to get some kind of shred machine (but no Floyd Rose thank you!) not that I can shred.

And yeah I’m keeping those pickups for sure.

Do you consider Les Pauls a shredding guitar? I picked up an LTD EC-256 and it's been great so far. The pickups are about the only thing I want to replace on it at this point, and that's not a necessity, just a project I wanted to do with my kid. Beautiful guitar, sounds great, feels great - only $600.

Counterpoint, this project: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1892673

I'm not sure if that guy is just a perfectionist, or I'm naive, or (probably) something in between.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 4, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was sort of thinking pointy strat with humbuckers kinda look but both of those guitars look sweet. Is the Flying V a nightmare to play seated?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

I was sort of thinking pointy strat with humbuckers kinda look but both of those guitars look sweet. Is the Flying V a nightmare to play seated?

I don't find it to be so but I believe some the Rhoads V more comforting. I think the build quality is supposed to be decent across the line.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Get dinky w/it

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone rate low end Schecters? There are some nice ones of them. A little above the LTD and Jackson equivalents though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Just as good of a choice. A lot of these manufacturers use the same processes and parts if not the same factories too. They’re not as pointy though. :-(

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Red_Fred posted:

Anyone rate low end Schecters? There are some nice ones of them. A little above the LTD and Jackson equivalents though.

Schecter makes great guitars.

You can find some absolute steals if you buy them used.

edit: reverb has an option to sort by shipping country, so you might be able to find something there

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I am trying out 10s from the D'Addario XT line. So far seems nice, real test will be life given we're getting into colder months here and there's a bit of humidity.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Shredding for 3 minutes at a time feels like it's an effective (left) forearm workout. The muscles on the anterior side, I can feel engaged they are right now. For my right arm, using a pick to go up and down on a string real fast isn't very hard at all. Down-picking on the other hand is quite a bit more challenging.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
anyone have experience jamming with people who prefer to play in a totally different tuning?

I met a new guitar-buddy the other day, he describes himself as a fingerstyle acoustic player, but he said he never plays nylon string guitar, which surprised me.

Anyway, he says he almost never uses standard tuning, and he gave me this song as an example of something he plays (its in open D tuning DADF#ad with a capo on the 2nd fret) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrZ5ExQ86NA

I anticipate jamming along to this tune, but I don't really want to change from standard tuning, so I made a little chord chart for myself. I'm posting it here in case someone else likes this kind of music and wants to try faking it in standard tuning.

code:
0m0s - A part

Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m

0m28s - B part

F#m   Bsus4 E
F#m   Bsus4 E
F#m   Bsus4 C#m B
Amaj7 G#m   C#m

0m53s - A part (with major tonic)

Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 B E

1m15s - A part (with minor 7 flat 5 passing chord)

Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B Bbm7b5
Amaj7 G#m C#m 

1m39s - A part

Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m

2m04s - B part

F#m   B7sus4 E
F#m   B7sus4 E
F#m   B7sus4 C#m B
Amaj7 G#m    C#m

2m29s - A part (with major tonic)

Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 B   E

2m52 - A part (with minor 7 flat 5 passing chord)

Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B Bbm7b5
Amaj7 G#m C#m 

3m16s - A part (with major tonic)

Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 B   E

3m38s - A part (with major tonic)

Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 G#m C#m B
Amaj7 B   E

4m03s - Outro

Amaj7 G#m C#m
Amaj7 G#m C#m

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Helianthus Annuus posted:

anyone have experience jamming with people who prefer to play in a totally different tuning?

I met a new guitar-buddy the other day, he describes himself as a fingerstyle acoustic player, but he said he never plays nylon string guitar, which surprised me.

Anyway, he says he almost never uses standard tuning, and he gave me this song as an example of something he plays (its in open D tuning DADF#ad with a capo on the 2nd fret) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrZ5ExQ86NA

I anticipate jamming along to this tune, but I don't really want to change from standard tuning, so I made a little chord chart for myself. I'm posting it here in case someone else likes this kind of music and wants to try faking it in standard tuning.

I made music with my late friend who played almost exclusively in non standard tunings. She would pretty much tune to something random (or from a SY or MBV tab basically) and I'd play in standard or Drop-D almost all the time. It's an interesting situation but it can make amazing harmonies.

At the core of it I honestly just tried to pick out the core of the chord boiled down into major, minor or suspended. I had a hard time because she didn't know any theory at all so I had to decipher the chords from the fretting and tuning.

It can be fun to play the exact chord as they're playing but I often tried to find complimentary chords. A weird Am7sus4 gets simplified to a basic bitch Am. Or Am7. Either way, it creates some pleasant harmonies to emphasise certain notes and accents in the full chord. Or if they're playing a sus2 go for a sus4 or whatever. Utilise the contrast, basically, is my suggestion.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Not with other people, but drop 'something' the low E string has helped me a lot with jamming the scales. You could drop the bottom 3 strings and make them just bass notes, and play melodies on the top 3 strings, ideally keeping those standard so the muscle memory transfers over to whichever you choose while keeping the bass strings mostly open.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I have a mid range Schecter, a C1 platinum. They pop up used for around 350 all the time on facebook marketplace. Pretty nice. But if you look hard, and luck out, you can find an older Japanese Dinky(usually DKMG or DXMG are the model names and will usually have a serial number starting with 96,97 or 98 which isn't related to the year it was made) for about 250-400, and those are the most consistently solid guitars I've laid hands on.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 4, 2022

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm not big into shredder brands but the Schechter PT, especially the Fastback, is a really sexy guitar

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
https://twitter.com/ztiworoh/status/1521960406394277889/photo/1

only shred machine i want

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

i need this for my band where we just play ska covers of the first four metallica albums

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

i need this for my band where we just play ska covers of the first four metallica albums

ok now im hearing enter sandman with that pick me up beat and descending trombone lines and drat u

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i don't know that song, metallica only made 4 albums

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Has anyone used pedals in front of a Neural DSP sim? I haven't tried it for myself but was thinking about it idly while waiting for pizza.

It seems like certain pedals don't work well with modeling amps - I feel like Fuzz generally sounds really flubby through my THR.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

pocket pool posted:

Has anyone used pedals in front of a Neural DSP sim? I haven't tried it for myself but was thinking about it idly while waiting for pizza.

It seems like certain pedals don't work well with modeling amps - I feel like Fuzz generally sounds really flubby through my THR.

works like a champ, at least with my interface

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veqpVOHLsbU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not like actual analog pedals but i feed my neurals through either my M13 or my eleven rack all the time, yeah

generally don't use distortion pedals though. clean boosts, comps, tube screamers etc

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

pocket pool posted:

I accidentally did it once - I switched a guitar cable from my amp to my audio interface, forgetting I had a Plumes in the middle. Sounded terrific going into the Nolly plugin.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

this is just as cursed as I expected

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

This is incredible. If you were in my area, you’d see my old rear end skanking like a madman at shows

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

curried lamb of God posted:

I accidentally did it once - I switched a guitar cable from my amp to my audio interface, forgetting I had a Plumes in the middle. Sounded terrific going into the Nolly plugin.

Oh cool, I will have to try some pedals out with them!

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
Sadly, it's time for me to shed some gear -- last time I went through that phase of the buy/sell cycle, I got surprised a few times on the shipping side. Anyone have experience with the Reverb shipping labels? Any other advice for estimating costs when you have no idea where in the country you'll be shipping to?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

brushwad posted:

Sadly, it's time for me to shed some gear -- last time I went through that phase of the buy/sell cycle, I got surprised a few times on the shipping side. Anyone have experience with the Reverb shipping labels? Any other advice for estimating costs when you have no idea where in the country you'll be shipping to?

You can mark that you only ship domestically if that is plausible for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hot drat, the schecter pt has gone up $100 since I bought one last year
what is with instrument prices