Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m glad they’ve been listening to me, specifically.

e: a snipe! Here, take these first drafts of shading and blending

They’re also the old, single piece injection sculpts.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished some Clanners. Can you guess the Clan?

I've now got a full Trinary. Or Supernova? Supernova.

Of Jade Falcons[, Vau Galaxy. See if you can spot Star Colonel Kristen Redmond, Star Colonel Nicolai Malthus, Pytor, and Natalia

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 11, 2022

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Noice, I dig the snapped trees and knocked over tower looking thing. What are those? Toothpicks?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Marx Headroom posted:

Noice, I dig the snapped trees and knocked over tower looking thing. What are those? Toothpicks?

3D printer supports.

They make great "tech" rubble at almost any scale.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

3D printer supports.

They make great "tech" rubble at almost any scale.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, uh.. the next fiction book is out.

Alaric Ward haters? Have a mop nearby to clean yourself up afterwards.

The Dragoons have rebuilt, using links to companies that they held that survived the Jihad to build new regiments. To keep the Dragoons name out there, they reformed Zeta Battalion to be the active face of the Dragoons while they rebuilt and to attack Wolf Empire worlds. Zeta Battalion is nothing but assault mechs. Their job is to go in, break stuff and leave. First as a representative for the Free Worlds League, and then with some of the new Dragoons units, a mission solely for vengeance. Going to the capital of the Wolf Empire, and smashing it up real good. All these attacks are to pick up sibkos of trainees and warriors. And Alaric Ward learns the true price of Vendetta.

The Dragoons take a sibko of ilKhan Alaric Ward's genechildren to raise. Well, they're not going to keep all of them... They're going to send some to be trained by the Sea Foxes. They're going to send some to the Bears. To the Horses. The Snow Ravens. the ilKhan's Legacy will now be spread across the Clans. No one clan will have exclusive claim to the ilKhan's Legacy.

But the ones they keep? The ones they may use for future generations?

You will go to Terra, and tell the ilKhan that Wolf's Dragoons has claimed the progeny of his genes and spread them to the stars. He can seek it out from his so-called allies, if he wishes. Soon, sooner than will likely seem possible, the ilKhan's armies may be fighting against Dragoons of his own blood. Bred from the same genes, genetically identical in potential. He has made an ilClan, but can he keep it? I will USE those genes against him. I will train his spawn to be Dragoons. I will teach them of the cowardly way he treated us. I will teach them of the way he used and discarded those around him. I will teach them to be the best soldiers in the Inner Sphere"

What's that line about never doing someone a small injury? The ilClan trial was a great injury to Wolf's Dragoons.. the 40 pieces of silver were a small one.

Sad to say, many of the characters from the previous books are shuffled off ingloriously. Former Colonel Brubaker is "encouraged" to commit suicide, Crews is shot by firing squad, and Marotta Kerensky is sent back with the above mentioned speech.

edit: oh, and the ilKhan makes another massive unforced error. The folks left behind in the Wolf Empire are trying to defend the worlds left under control. They try desperately to raise forces to defend them, in the name of the ilKhan, for the ilClan. They fight desperately, hoping that he will either send word for the folks to join them on the new Star League's home. They die in his name.
""
And he just rewards them with the most empty of messages. "All of the worlds of the Empire are mine. All of the Inner Sphere and beyond. We are the ilClan and all will be ours. Today, or tomorrow, or forever". In other words, "well, I got what I want, so y'all are useless to me" Alaric Ward has a star league. But he sure has pissed off everyone else. Holding it will be more difficult.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 7, 2022

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Wow it's super cool to come into a thread the day a new book comes out and drop a thousand word post talking about all of it in plain text

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
There. you happy?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yes, outside of the implication that I'm unreasonable for wanting the slightest bit of new release courtesy.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Yes, outside of the implication that I'm unreasonable for wanting the slightest bit of new release courtesy.

Posting all that is some Big Alaric Energy though tbh you gotta give him that.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 7, 2022

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

kingcom posted:

Posting all that is some Big Alaric Energy though tbh you gotta give him that.

Fair enough.

Sorry, I do read fast, and probably was a little hyped to share.

Sorry Strobe.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Finished the book, I'll put what I put in the BattleTech thread verbatim:

quote:

The Good:

- An actual good example of how you use an Assault formation well. Zeta Battalion rules and it's cool to see them back.
- Decent characterizations, nobody is too one-note. The trend of solahma finally given a bit of room free of the yoke of Clan society bearing them into an early grave turning out to be extremely competent and intelligent soldiers was great in Tamar Rising, it's great here. "Beware the old man in a profession where men die young."
- Serviceable exploration of the difference between traditional Clan Honor and the demands of the moment. The fact that this is explored at all in earnest is a solid point, even if it's a bit blunt.
- The very obviously gay Star Captain was great and I'm glad he both survived and may become a Dragoon.

The Bad:

- A little bit low on the gravitas. I'm never really able to believe the Zetas are capable of losing. The first tactical defeat (prior to Zeta being formed, even) happens half off-screen and we get beaten over the head about how it's not the MC's fault which makes sense because she was barely involved but still gets mentioned a lot. The strategic setback suffered is ultimately a zero-sum because the Cluster that successfully withdraws off-planet doesn't come up again. The major loss taken at the climax of the fighting is a character we've known for maybe 20 pages. I think the sum total of casualties suffered by the Zetas that we actually see happen or hear about is two dead, one of whom is an aero pilot that dies off-screen. If the goal was to sell me on the idea that Zeta Battalion can do no wrong, mission accomplished. If the goal was to make this seem like a fight that was ever in question at any point, didn't quite stick the landing.
- That point actually extends to the Clan characters, too. Of the major 'antagonist' characters all of them except Star Colonel Bad At This survive and escape or are captured alive. Given that this is a story that goes out of its way to tell me about how hyper lethal a modern BattleTech battlefield is at every opportunity, it's kind of weird that the body counts on both sides are largely notional, informed, or off-screen. I can think of two 'Mechs that are destroyed via headcap, and we're told one character dies when a building falls on him, and outside of that what we hear about are casualty numbers that we have no real connection with.

The Ugly:

The Night Wolf. Seriously, did you look at that thing? Gross.

The Verdict:

I liked it, it was a fun pulp fiction read. It's in the upper section of BattleTech writing in terms of quality, and probably around a solid B in overall terms.

SirFozzie posted:

Sad to say, many of the characters from the previous books are shuffled off ingloriously. Former Colonel Brubaker is "encouraged" to commit suicide, Crews is shot by firing squad, and Marotta Kerensky is sent back with the above mentioned speech.

I'm not sad about this at all. In fact, this rules. Pardoe wrote Divided We Fall and I'm 100% in favor of jettisoning everything he thought was cool because it usually isn't.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 7, 2022

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Question for the tabletop game, does anyone know if there is anyway to get the Alpha Strike Box set without paying an arm and a leg for it?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Waiting for the new production run to hit shelves in Q3

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Well it's not out yet, so no

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished the last 7 2nd Regulan Hussars I needed for a full company. They're not varnished yet but they're photogenic!

Here's the full company.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I've been playing the Mechwarrior and Mech Commander games since I was a kid and loved the setting but got sucked into Warhammer as a teen and went pretty deep down the GW rabbit hole. I've since stopped playing Warhammer entirely, though I've kept up with building models both professionally (architectural stuff) and for fun (wooden ships). Mechwarrior 5 rekindled my interest and I recently picked up some miniatures with a mind to eventually getting back into some table top wargaming. So here's my merc company so far:

I have some more lights coming so I could run a full light mech lance should the need ever arise, but I think I have some decent variety to mix and match well enough to get started.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Those are some nice, crisp hazard stripes!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
drat those look good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fearless posted:

I've been playing the Mechwarrior and Mech Commander games since I was a kid and loved the setting but got sucked into Warhammer as a teen and went pretty deep down the GW rabbit hole. I've since stopped playing Warhammer entirely, though I've kept up with building models both professionally (architectural stuff) and for fun (wooden ships). Mechwarrior 5 rekindled my interest and I recently picked up some miniatures with a mind to eventually getting back into some table top wargaming. So here's my merc company so far:

I have some more lights coming so I could run a full light mech lance should the need ever arise, but I think I have some decent variety to mix and match well enough to get started.

Dope as gently caress.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Holy poo poo those are good hazard stripes

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Did you tape your stripes to get those clean lines?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Started painting my minis with my bro. Fun times trying to get back in the painting game.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thanks for the kind words folks! The stripes were masked with 1 and 2mm Tamiya tape in a few cases but by the end I got comfortable enough to do the layouts with a brush. Being well past the wrong side of 30, I've had to start using a magnifier though.

E: What I did for the checker patterns in most cases was to lay out everything in pencil first, paint in over that, go back in after the paint had dried with an eraser to remove the pencil, and then tidy up the lines. I'm using Army Painter paints because they are a decent blend of quality and affordable (though their medium "ultramarine blue" has criminally poor coverage over white), with the odd Vallejo Game or Model colour mixed in. in the case of the latter, those are always covered with a protective varnish layer after being applied due to their very poor tolerance for handling. I have a disturbing amount of Citadel paint in storage at my parents place and presumably most of it is still good, along with some VGC as well and next time I am home I will probably mail a box of paints and other building sundries to myself. While I tend to be very much a cheapskate when it comes to hobby supplies, I have painted long enough to know that having a core of decent brushes to rely on is critical and I've used Winsor and Newton Series 7Ms for at least a decade on everything from wargaming miniatures to wooden model ships and architectural models. The WN 1-000 sizes were relied on for most of the finer work on the hazard stripes and other finer details, while I used my beater brushes to apply weathering, which was done with Army Painter washes and Tamiya weathering pigments.

My white recipe is pretty straightforward and my goal is to suggest white without going stark white, which is miserably difficult to shade and highlight. I start with a pretty solid white basecoat, then apply a 25/25/50 mix of AP Dark Tone, AP Blue Tone and AP Quickshade Wash Mixing Medium. The latter is thicker than water and seems to make the resultant mix less likely to puddle due to gravity and also makes it less likely to dry prematurely and leave those skin marks all over the model. The resulting mix is a dark blue/grey colour and behaves kinda like a very translucent speed paint/contrast paint rather than something more watery. I was skeptical at first, but have been quite happy with it so far. Anyways, this goes all over the model and once it is dry, I use a makeup brush (something fairly large and with numerous very soft bristles) to apply a very heavy drybrush of white all over the model. Sometimes I will throw down very thinned coats of white over spots that seem too dark to lighten them up, or to suggest new armour panels that have been recently repaired and repainted. At this stage the model still looks kinda grey and grungy, which is fine-- adding rust and oil streaks and more grime adds further contrast to the white that is there so in concert with the hazard stripes the model looks much whiter but also looks dirty, field worn, weather stained and damaged.

It's a Merc outfit, so I expect the mechs to be more about being functional and less about being pretty. The unit's name is Hazzard's Hussars (:dadjoke:) and rather than relying on smaller insignia decals to denote who is who, I figured if I was a merc driving a giant robot and working with more of the same, I would want my people to be wearing tactical recognition patterns that were very loud and very visible. Mercs always struck me in battletech as being a far future spin on central European Landesknechts, so a flashy colour scheme is as much about advertising as it is thumbing your nose at the contemptible practice of painting camo on a 16m tall AS7-D.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 9, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

SirFozzie posted:

So, uh.. the next fiction book is out.

Alaric Ward haters? Have a mop nearby to clean yourself up afterwards.

Any mention of the Clan Protectorate (Spirit Cats) in the new book?

Thoughts on your spoiler review

While all that's cool, I was kind of hoping Wolf's Dragoons would just die, or get folded into another group, like the Clan Protectorate. Seems like Wolf's Dragoons get to survive no matter what happens to them.

Also, not too sure how the whole "kidnap a dude's (gene) children and train them to fight against him will be. Seems like a reason for those kids to resent the Dragoons and sabotage from within, but whatevs.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 9, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished up my 8th Crucis Lancers.

I think this is pretty close to Peak Davion.

Edit: Just have Kurita and Steiner left and I'll have a fully company from each of the five great houses (plus another if I decide to paint Marik Militia later)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So apparently there is some minor interest in Battletech at my local shop at the same time I've been playing through the Harebrained Schemes's game. I've been vaguely aware of Battletech ever since I played Mechassault 2 as a kid but I've never really looked into it too much. My wargame background has mostly been in Warhammer (both 40k and AoS) and a little bit of Malifaux. I wanted to ask some questions here because while all the new player guides people make are useful I do have some specific questions.

1. How complete of an Army/Lance would I get from picking up the three starters? I don't really want to expand much past them aside from the occasional Mini Force Pack and would be disappointed if the game forces me to buy more stuff in order to make well rounded/interesting lists.

2. How exactly to the factions work? I know they mostly share the same pool of mechs (aside from the split between inner sphere and clan) but is there any real difference between them? I'd like to be able to use all the mechs in the three starters and don't want to lock myself out of any of them if I can help it. It sounds like playing a mercenary company is what I want to do but I'm not sure.

3. I know that Inner Sphere Lances are supposed to be four mechs, Clan Stars are supposed to be five mechs and that there is a points system you use to build your list. What I'm not clear on is how rigid the four/five mech structure is or what the standard points values for games is.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

1. There is no connection between what minis you own and what units you can field. The only thing that matters is the record sheet you bring to the table. You can download MegaMekLab or any other design program and download every record sheet that's ever been made for free. BattleTech only has two rules on what pieces you have on the table: that they be distinguishable from each other (so no bringing four identically painted Griffins and playing four mech monty) and that you need a clear "front." You can bring anything to the table I can even though you have three starter boxes and I have a shelf with 150 minis on it.

2. In terms of the base rules, they don't exist. The lore and the rules only intersect in terms of optional rules that are in books like the various faction Field Manuals or books on particular eras or conflicts. There's lots of stuff there for you to use but it is all 100% optional.

3. There is no standard BV, mostly because the value varies enormously based on era. 6k BV is easy if you're playing 3025 lances, but trying to get five Clan mechs that add up to less than 6k BV is almost impossible. You don't necessarily need to specify a size since BV should theoretically balance out regardless, but it's useful for keeping everyone on the same page with unit size, since the game plays better when everyone's starting forces are close, if not the same, size. If you have similar BV and similar unit size, it doesn't really matter how many units or what BV cap you pick.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 11, 2022

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
thanks, I'm looking at all this through a Warhammer lense so I have some preconceived notions about how wargames function that probably don't match up 100% with Battletech

at least for now I'm mostly interested in Classic so I'll probably pick up the Beginners Box and A Game of Armored Combat box to dick around with for a while

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, BattleTech is 100% ok with Proxies by default. Most 'Mech variants don't have minis at all, so they've never been concerned with the perfect representation Games Workshop uses to force people to buy more models.

Even just a hex base with an arrow and a unique number painted on it is fine to represent something like a tank or a 'Mech or a squad of infantry, as long as you and your opponent know what's-what (and how tall it is).

The minis just make the experience more fun. They're game-enhancers, not the game itself.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I will say this game seems like a 3d printers dream

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It absolutely is. People make and sell 3d printed models of units that don't have models otherwise.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The beginners box itself comes with like 20 cardboard Mechs for you to freely use too if you get it.

Also where can I get these cards? I spent like $20 and have like over 100 nice cards but definitely down to print them off on paper.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
An "average" game (there is no common standard) is going to run you between three and 12 models. If you get the three starter boxes you will have 15 'Mechs and two stands of battle armor, so even if you don't want to use paperclips and blank bases you will still have more than you need.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I would say that it is not a game that lends itself well to buying multiples of the starter boxes. The boxes contain way more stuff in them that aren't models than your average GW game and aren't really the kind of thing that you split with a friend to part out models for your faction. Even Beginners Box plus A Game of Armored Combat is going to leave you with lots of redundant booklets or things that are made irrelevant because AGOAC has more complete rules than the Beginners Box. There aren't really that many mechs in them, but they are unique so that's worth considering.

3D printing and the lance/star packs are the way to go if you want to get a variety of mech frames to mess about with, but as has been said, chits with a line marking the facing are sufficient to play.

As for getting record sheets, you can buy PDF sets of them, but there are also websites and tools that let you generate sheets. Solaris Skunk Works (SSW) was the most common one for awhile, but I sometimes have difficulty figuring out how to get it to run.

Mordel.net is another good website for producing record sheets.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My local group runs 10k BV in classic and 200 PV in Alpha Strike for whatever that's worth. I usually field between 3 and 5 dudes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*shaking*

help I've been looking at reaper paints for the last 17 hours and I'm trying my best to ignore the existence of local players to (maybe finally) get a face to face game in.

Haha jokes on you there are no players in my area! :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

help I've been looking at reaper paints for the last 17 hours and I'm trying my best to ignore the existence of local players to (maybe finally) get a face to face game in.

Reaper paints are really good, Squidmar ranked them pretty much right behind Vallejo. I use them a lot, they're quite good and their blacks and whites alone are leagues better than Citadel's.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AnEdgelord posted:

So apparently there is some minor interest in Battletech at my local shop at the same time I've been playing through the Harebrained Schemes's game. I've been vaguely aware of Battletech ever since I played Mechassault 2 as a kid but I've never really looked into it too much. My wargame background has mostly been in Warhammer (both 40k and AoS) and a little bit of Malifaux. I wanted to ask some questions here because while all the new player guides people make are useful I do have some specific questions.

As someone just diving into battletech (alpha strike specifically) over the past month it's been incredibly easy. My group has been using cutouts of the printable mech counters (while i finish painting my packs), random printed map sheets when we want to play with hexes, or whatever "terrain" we feel like scrounging together in 10 minutes notice.

The hardest part so far has been working out what kind of rules you want to play with. You can go as basic or as granular as you wish with any number of house rules or advanced rules as you want. We've been experimenting with added parts from Destiny, but at the end of the day the group is so limited for time that anything more than the DFA Wargaming channel house rules just takes up too much time beyond basic Alpha Strike.

I suppose the final addendum is that none of my group is approaching it from a serious "competitive wargaming" attitude either though. We just want fun narrative situations with some light competition to make interesting moments happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Played my first game of Megamek vs. the Princess bot last night. It's cool to see how quick a lance v. lance game can go when the computer is handling all the dice rolls for you.

Also I got utterly curbstomped! Still had fun though.