Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Congrats, you've housed every American right now in the spare housing that exists in their area

52% of them are still in car-centric suburbs, tied to five figgies a year in environmentally-terrible consumption just to get to work or the store--to say nothing of the endless wasteful reduplication of manufactured goods ranging from heaters to lawnmowers, almost always of the least efficient but cheapest type possible.
22% of them are still in rural areas, with hugely depressed incomes (my own sector in my own state averages literally double the wage in urban areas) and a critical lack of services matched with copious oil-burning just to truck the food in. You're never going to get rid of rural living because of farming and extraction, and you shouldn't because some people just plain prefer it, but there's a far cry between "I'd rather be here" and "I can't afford to be anywhere else".
The economy is still built on "no jobs? pack up and move to where you can find work", and until we hit some kind of postscarcity pipe dream this will be a factor on logistics alone; even if a hypothetical USSA guarantees good-paying work in every lick and holler that just converts it to an administrative problem of encouraging the populace to work where it's most effective.
That's not even getting into the human development aspect, or the pains of being a minority of some sort in Chudville that we could address but aren't or the pains of being the only member of a sexual or cultural minority in a community that we can't without some kind of dystopian scheme to send city gays and Muslims out to the farms until every one-stoplight town has a dating scene and a mosque. Nor is it touching on how much of the housing stock will be underwater/on fire/on fire while underwater in our lifetimes, or how much of it is coated in lead or asbestos to the extent that those outcomes would improve its livability.

Blind YIMBYism doesn't help because there's an endless supply of money from the Fed to buy up those new units and hold them empty or for extortionate rent, and even if that went away there'd be a near-endless supply of people who would rather be in LA than Peoria (or even on a micro level rather be in Burlington than Hardwick, a solid 40-mile distance.) But ignoring that second pressure reinforces what allowed homelessness to spring up as a problem in the first place, the notion that people would just ~rationally self-sort away~ to where there was available housing without a complaint. Homelessness is in itself a desperate protest by the few who can take it that even this is better than the hills; if there are people desperate enough to choose even that, what do you think the population flows will look like during a short era where redistribution and redistribution only holds?
Or, even if there are no flows, in ten years? It's true that there are three empty units in say New York per homeless family, but even counting deaths as of equal weight to births and assuming everyone will couple up the second they move out, the remaining units after housing the homeless will only suffice for the children of '04-'08 or so.

By all means, start with expropriation. There's an immediate emergency that needs to be solved. But sooner or later the American kommunalka is going to have to give way to the American Khrushchyovka.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 16:39 on May 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Nothus posted:

It's called probable cause

“probable cause” is one of those curious mid century affectations of a legal system fat on the profits of the post-war imperial order, kind of like the word “pension.” It doesn’t exist except for the oldest and white people around

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Tulip posted:

ok i know serious posting and being a pedantic nerd poo poo is not what cspam is about but this was like showing a full moon to a werewolf:

we don't need any new construction to house every american. we have tons of surplus new construction! we have multiple empty houses per homeless american. the problem isn't a matter of supply-side manipulation, of physical objects, but of law and enforcement and power. our society works continuously, and with great effort, to make sure a certain percentage of the population remains homeless, and that cannot be defeated by simply be doing what we're already doing but more. if we could yimby our way out of homelessness we would have already.

(and this is just trivia but america's total population density is pretty low, like we're #185 in population density just above Kyrgyzstan. we're like 7 times as spread out as Germany)

Yeah but like they aren't unoccupied communist housing blocks with a grocery store and barber on the bottom floor and a tram stop across the street, those unoccupied houses are probably mostly in some god forsaken car dependent shitholes

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tulip posted:

(and this is just trivia but america's total population density is pretty low, like we're #185 in population density just above Kyrgyzstan. we're like 7 times as spread out as Germany)

As long as we're being pedants I don't think it makes sense to average in a bunch of desert and tundra when comparing pop density to Germany.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PerniciousKnid posted:

As long as we're being pedants I don't think it makes sense to average in a bunch of desert and tundra when comparing pop density to Germany.

the senate and electoral college exist specifically to assign "land" greater voting weight than "humans"

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

IAMKOREA posted:

Yeah but like they aren't unoccupied communist housing blocks with a grocery store and barber on the bottom floor and a tram stop across the street, those unoccupied houses are probably mostly in some god forsaken car dependent shitholes

In my old neighborhood homeless people would sleep under the carports of empty foreclosed houses so there’s probably a transitory state between that and walkable communist utopia where we can just let homeless people live in all the empty houses in their neighborhood.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Plank Walker posted:

if you don't want your pooping duration and frequency automatically logged to the cloud, please leave the stall door open, so our on site technicians can manually record it

maliciously complying by turning the lock rapidly as I dook

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

if we're mass appropriating capital to help the homeless im pretty sure we'll be able to get some buses and free food/necessities deliveries going too

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Trabisnikof posted:

if we're mass appropriating capital to help the homeless im pretty sure we'll be able to get some buses and free food/necessities deliveries going too

yeah once all homeowners associations get their offices relocated to the bottom of a nearby abandoned mine, it'll be easy for some planning committee to go "this area needs more services, so let's find X plots that can be retrofitted or rebuilt into a communal kitchen/clinic/library/whatev"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the homeless can live in executive CEO offices we don't need single family homes. already has furniture and WiFi and utilities for lots of people

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

In my old neighborhood homeless people would sleep under the carports of empty foreclosed houses so there’s probably a transitory state between that and walkable communist utopia where we can just let homeless people live in all the empty houses in their neighborhood.

Yeah well sure deffo agree

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Agreed, but even given a best-case scenario that everyone will be content where they are and people won't move to cities once everywhere's equally livable, that transitory state's unsustainable within a few years on an environmental, logistical, and stages-of-life basis within a few years. (After all, if everyone's content where they are, that also means no city kids leaving to the 'burbs or a cheaper city.)
So since it will also take a few years to go from identifying areas that are suitable for transit-centric (re)development to having them built out, even working at China speeds, we'd really better start those gears turning at the same time as we cover the immediate need of getting people indoors, or the subdivided flats we'll end up with will like they did a century ago approach the manhive-ness of the capitalist flophouses which started this whole conversation even if they're not additionally on the extortionate basis of "your whole wage or the street".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i mean where I live cheap affordable housing within the inner city is destroyed because the corporations that own them let them fall to ruin because they want to keep rents high. An entire historical neighborhood of shotgun houses within walking distance of downtown was recently demolished, for example.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
timg'd for being slightly nws

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Developers have successfully convinced liberals that a unit of housing is a unit of housing so replacing affordable 3-6 story buildings with skyscrapers is a net win. No amount of asking them to google "cost per floor of skyscrapers by height" will ever convince them otherwise and affordable housing in cities will be impossible for as long as the status quo continues.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Peanut President posted:

i mean where I live cheap affordable housing within the inner city is destroyed because the corporations that own them let them fall to ruin because they want to keep rents high. An entire historical neighborhood of shotgun houses within walking distance of downtown was recently demolished, for example.

That's weird, something similar happened in my city.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"it keeps happening" a wise man once said.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

timg'd for being slightly nws

Ruthcuntda forever

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Peanut President posted:

grats on your urban renewal

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The Saucer Hovers posted:

grats on your urban renewal

thanks love to see large swathes of the city be empty land while rent is 1300 a month for a forgotten city in the middle of god's nowhere

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

I'm literally reading this William Gibson book right now.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

pseudosavior posted:

I'm literally reading this William Gibson book right now.

yeah its called the news

thank you for coming to my TED talk

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

IAMKOREA posted:

I mean I live in NYC and as the post above you points out, NYC has 3 unoccupied unit per homeless person. Our degree of hoarding and injustice is enough to overcome even this level of lib-brain argument.

30.5 Days posted:

Developers have successfully convinced liberals that a unit of housing is a unit of housing so replacing affordable 3-6 story buildings with skyscrapers is a net win. No amount of asking them to google "cost per floor of skyscrapers by height" will ever convince them otherwise and affordable housing in cities will be impossible for as long as the status quo continues.

frankly its an absurd injustice to charge people for housing on the face of it. "affordable" is too much.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

frankly its an absurd injustice to charge people for housing on the face of it. "affordable" is too much.

I'd be happy if we just stopped paying cops to destroy homeless people's tents. not even free housing, just stop activly destroying peoples shelter

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I'd be happy if we just stopped paying cops to destroy homeless people's tents. not even free housing, just stop activly destroying peoples shelter

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

yeah its called the news

thank you for coming to my TED talk

Well i mean yeah, we're all experiencing The Peripheral's 'jackpot' in real time, but one of the plot points in Idoru is "an aging rock star wants to marry an AI hologram pop idol".

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

gibson missed an opportunity not naming his book AIdoru which would be closer to the transliteration of idol from japanese while also including AI

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rutibex posted:

this would probably be a more radical improvement than most housing solutions and qualifies as a bar of "literally not doing something," a bar we can't reach

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IoT girlfriends are an obvious mistake. You need local hosting for your virtual girlfriend.

Like Girlfriend Tracy.

Build a life-long relationship with a sexy girl.

Facebook Aunt has issued a correction as of 07:26 on May 6, 2022

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Tulip posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gm4b1WgVEQ highlighting the insanity of paying for housing after the materials + labor cost is met, just paying over and over and over for no loving reason or gain, kind of blew my mind in a "goddamn, yeah, why," kind of way (on top of the already obvious "lol your landlord doesn't fix poo poo without you, he uses your money to loving do it")

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gm4b1WgVEQ highlighting the insanity of paying for housing after the materials + labor cost is met, just paying over and over and over for no loving reason or gain, kind of blew my mind in a "goddamn, yeah, why," kind of way (on top of the already obvious "lol your landlord doesn't fix poo poo without you, he uses your money to loving do it")

Lollin at the related videos being almost exclusively fringe right wing conspiracies. Why yes youtube I do agree that "capitalism is bad" and "white folks are just plain better" are two equally important opinions that both deserve their fair hearing

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
available shirt sizes: L, XL, XXL

lmao they sure knew their audience back then

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Rutibex posted:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/you-sweep-we-strike-seattle-parks-building-vandalized-in-apparent-response-to-encampment-removals/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wow what a tragedy, those poor windows and cars :ohdear:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is there a mayor of a large city who isn't a complete loving public menace?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rbccuxLXhk1vmay6q.mp4

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The mayor's job is to be the person everyone hates because they suck rear end. That's the whole position

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the guy in my av sounds ok https://indypendent.org/2020/02/the-communist-mayor-of-dersim/

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

IoT girlfriends are an obvious mistake. You need local hosting for your virtual girlfriend.

Like Girlfriend Tracy.

Huh. Didn't know Judy Tanuta had a side gig besides standup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
[Cyberpunk Dystopia] We hope you wore clean underwear. You are entering a virtual worldom...

rip Tracy died of bitrot.