Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty big difference. A bare torch tends to just char the very surface, whereas the searzall gives a better actual “sear,” but it does so too slowly imo which can leave you (over)cooking whatever you’re just trying to sear.

Not really a fan of either. If the food has a remotely flat surface you’re better of tossing it on screaming hot cast iron. If not, under the broiler. Searzall is good to have around for edge cases where the pan/broiler won’t do, but I rarely find myself reaching for it. Ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pretty big difference. A bare torch tends to just char the very surface, whereas the searzall gives a better actual “sear,” but it does so too slowly imo which can leave you (over)cooking whatever you’re just trying to sear.

Not really a fan of either. If the food has a remotely flat surface you’re better of tossing it on screaming hot cast iron. If not, under the broiler. Searzall is good to have around for edge cases where the pan/broiler won’t do, but I rarely find myself reaching for it. Ymmv

Pizza oven at 750F-1000F sears things pretty dang well. When I tried steak last the carryover took it from med rare to fully well. I need to work on that.

Even searing on a charcoal chimney can be just as easy as a searzall but faster and better in terms of result.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Ultimate Mango posted:

Pizza oven at 750F-1000F sears things pretty dang well. When I tried steak last the carryover took it from med rare to fully well. I need to work on that.

Seems like an ice bath would be needed when using something like a pizza oven. Which one do you have? They seem like such a great tool to have for the backyard.

Been enjoying my APO so far, can't get the drat thing to connect to wifi and am hoping to get the price match on the current sale price as well. The thing is big, need to figure out exactly where I am going to keep it. Haven't had a chance to do any "real" cooks with it yet, but will dig into a few things this week. Really happy with how quickly it shipped and arrived!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Just got my shopping notification for my chamber vac.

I am excite!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mine is out for delivery I'm going to vacuum seal so many goddamn things.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So if you wanted to SV something in the Anova oven that'd normally have aromatics included in the vacuum seal, how would that work? Of course you can probably just dump everything into a bowl of water, but I wanted to know if there was a "dry" way to do it since that's the big sell here.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Aromatic rub instead.

100% steam won't rinse the roast.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qutius posted:

Seems like an ice bath would be needed when using something like a pizza oven. Which one do you have? They seem like such a great tool to have for the backyard.

Been enjoying my APO so far, can't get the drat thing to connect to wifi and am hoping to get the price match on the current sale price as well. The thing is big, need to figure out exactly where I am going to keep it. Haven't had a chance to do any "real" cooks with it yet, but will dig into a few things this week. Really happy with how quickly it shipped and arrived!

The Gozney Dome is indeed awesome but I would not use it to casually sear something after sous vide. Its hot enough you don’t need to sous vide first. But that’s another thread.

I did beef and chicken in chile sauce to a friend’s camping trip. Did both to a shreddable texture and the 25 people on that trip all insisted that they forever do pre cooked sous vide taco night on future camps.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If I’m taking something out of the freezer, do I need to defrost it first or am I going to just throw it into the room temperature water and let the sous vide get the temperature?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

obi_ant posted:

If I’m taking something out of the freezer, do I need to defrost it first or am I going to just throw it into the room temperature water and let the sous vide get the temperature?

Either will work fine.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

obi_ant posted:

I usually try and preheat my SV bath first but like Jhet said, anything should work here. Don't forget to add extra time when coming from frozen, but that's probably obvious.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Only thing I've vacced so far is frozen shrimp but it seems like it pulls a way harder vacuum than my food saver.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Perhaps the folks in this thread can help me understand what the best place to pause this process is.

I bought three pork loins, I intend to marinade them for char siu, puddle them, then grill them over charcoal. I'm not going to eat them all at once, so intend to freeze them in portions. They'll be sliced up at the time of usage then put atop clay pot rice as it steams (ergo any texture gained from the sear is irrelevant to me).

What's the best point in this process to freeze them? Given I'm only going to grill over charcoal for the flavour, is it suitable to freeze them after this, or will I do much better if I freeze them earlier on? I did them under the broiler last time and they ended up fine being frozen after that - still had the very nice internal texture.

Edit: The more I thought about this the more I felt it was a stupid question. I'm just going to freeze the finished product and try it.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 7, 2022

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Perhaps the folks in this thread can help me understand what the best place to pause this process is.

I bought three pork loins, I intend to marinade them for char siu, puddle them, then grill them over charcoal. I'm not going to eat them all at once, so intend to freeze them in portions. They'll be sliced up at the time of usage then put atop clay pot rice as it steams (ergo any texture gained from the sear is irrelevant to me).

What's the best point in this process to freeze them? Given I'm only going to grill over charcoal for the flavour, is it suitable to freeze them after this, or will I do much better if I freeze them earlier on? I did them under the broiler last time and they ended up fine being frozen after that - still had the very nice internal texture.

Edit: The more I thought about this the more I felt it was a stupid question. I'm just going to freeze the finished product and try it.

I actually just did this. Marinated, puddled, froze.

To reheat I just thaw in fridge overnight (but you could definitely puddle again if you are short on time) and grill. Turned out great.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anova chamber vac working good

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

bird with big dick posted:

Anova chamber vac working good

Dammit...def need to get one of these.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's so quiet!

https://i.imgur.com/ILkEBP4.mp4

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Oh man, this looks great. As soon as my crappy foodsaver knock off dies, I am definitely replacing it with one of these.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

But its so big :(

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sportman posted:

Oh man, this looks great. As soon as my crappy foodsaver knock off dies, I am definitely replacing it with one of these.

porque no los dos?

I'm going to keep using the Foodsaver for situations that warrant it, e.g. dry stuff. At least until I run out of the nearly new 150' roll of bags I bought. Then I guess I'll reevaluate since the chamber vac bags are cheaper but also taking some wear and tear off the $350 vac and putting it on the $80 vac seems like not a terrible idea.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

But its so big :(

Is it bigger than my vac master? That thing is 15 years old and is really loud and it needs like new seal bar tape or something.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Is it bigger than my vac master? That thing is 15 years old and is really loud and it needs like new seal bar tape or something.

this is 100% home counter tops sized.
345W x 285D x 225H mm | 13.6 x 11.2 x 8.9 in

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If I had access to a 800 degree oven I'd prob just do the steak in that straight up

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
165 for 15 hours sound good for St Louis style ribs?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have some nice beef short ribs that I’d like to smoke.

I was planning to puddle for 24 hours at 135 and then take them out, rub them and smoke for 2 hours at 250. How does that plan sound?

I like puddling for 48-72 in the bag. These are the actual short ribs not the “Chuck” short ribs or whatever I’ve seen at Costco.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
A question for APO goons:

I was considering going to find a cooler that is sized more appropriately for the size of vacuum-seal bags that I use, but didn't get around to it and after some prodding by my partner I acquiesced to their insistence that the APO could SV stuff just as well as a water bath.

The use case in question was reheating some portioned-out smoked pork shoulder that had been vacuum-sealed and put into the freezer. (relatively thin, flat bag)

After 2 hours, it was about 132F in the center (from frozen). I think I would have expected a bit better from a water bath due to heat transfer properties, but I dunno! Certainly good enough for our use case (we were only reheating something that was already fully cooked, and it went back under the broiler for another 10 minutes or so for a bit of crisp).

So, my question is thus: I have an APO. What is my use case for my two water-bath stick-heaters now? Is there one?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

You can cook two or three things at once during the holidays.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Or when you make steak for guests and there is that one person that insists on well done.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hopper posted:

Or when you make steak for guests and there is that one person that insists on well done.

I keep some chicky tendies in the freezer for people like that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hopper posted:

Just sear it too long, it’ll get all hosed up like they want it.

Are we on the second generation of the Anova chamber vac yet? My pre-ordered APO has me a bit gunshy, but my food saver is making noises that I think are incompatible with life.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Anybody bother bagging eggs in any way when pasteurizing? I worry about them rolling around and cracking or gunking up the machine. Mine is a pain to clean. So I used to put a little bit of water into a ziplock with the eggs and sink it in there but the whole thing gets kind of fiddly.

I suppose another option is stick to more expensive eggs (like the free range brown ones I get sometimes) that have much thicker shells and probably won't break so easily. I mean any bacteria on the outside of the egg is going to get killed right quick, as long as they don't make an actual physical mess.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Rescue Toaster posted:

Anybody bother bagging eggs in any way when pasteurizing? I worry about them rolling around and cracking or gunking up the machine. Mine is a pain to clean. So I used to put a little bit of water into a ziplock with the eggs and sink it in there but the whole thing gets kind of fiddly.

I suppose another option is stick to more expensive eggs (like the free range brown ones I get sometimes) that have much thicker shells and probably won't break so easily. I mean any bacteria on the outside of the egg is going to get killed right quick, as long as they don't make an actual physical mess.

I've never had a problem with my eggs cracking or anything like that. If you are really concerned, sink a bowl and put them in there so they can't move around as much?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just fluff up a couple side towels on the bottom of the cambro to keep the eggs from moving too much.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Thanks those are both good ideas. For a while we were getting some insanely thin eggs when we just bought the bog standard grocery store ones here.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Been awhile since I did steaks. So we're having steaks this weekend!

This will be my first stab at doing steak in the APO for the sous-vide portion. Going for non-frozen. Thinking of just setting the unit to the "pasteurize" setting at whatever temp (137F or whatever;I don't recall offhand) for about two hours - does that sound about right? Will finish by searing on a slab of blazing cast iron. (I know there is an APO setting where you put the probe in the meat and it heats and steams the chamber until the meat hits the desired temp, but I think I wanted to avoid that because the chamber ends up hotter than the target temp. Am I wrong here for some reason?)

Biggest question is when to brine/salt. I have yet to feel like I have success with brining. When I did puddle/bag SV, I never salted early because most of the time I was puddling from frozen vacuum seal. I'm wondering if there is an optimal brining method for steak, now that the bag and long storage times are not in play? Or would salting right before the steam chamber turn out great?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The earlier the salt gets absorbed into the meat, the better. So do that first and let it sit for a while.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The earlier the salt gets absorbed into the meat, the better. So do that first and let it sit for a while.

Alright! Overnight best? Or just a few hours in the fridge ahead of the steam chamber?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A few hours in the fridge is plenty. Also I think pasteurized temp is 131, which keeps you within medium rare. You might want to puddle to a lower temp (e.g. 125) and let the sear bring it up to 131 or so, depending on how well you prefer.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Zarin posted:

Been awhile since I did steaks. So we're having steaks this weekend!

This will be my first stab at doing steak in the APO for the sous-vide portion. Going for non-frozen. Thinking of just setting the unit to the "pasteurize" setting at whatever temp (137F or whatever;I don't recall offhand) for about two hours - does that sound about right? Will finish by searing on a slab of blazing cast iron. (I know there is an APO setting where you put the probe in the meat and it heats and steams the chamber until the meat hits the desired temp, but I think I wanted to avoid that because the chamber ends up hotter than the target temp. Am I wrong here for some reason?)

Yes, you're incorrect about SV mode. The steak and the oven will eventually reach equilibrium, just like a normal SV cook.
Use the probe and the SV setting to your preferred temp -a couple of degrees to allow for searing unless your steaks are super thicc. If so, right to target temp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A few hours in the fridge is plenty. Also I think pasteurized temp is 131, which keeps you within medium rare. You might want to puddle to a lower temp (e.g. 125) and let the sear bring it up to 131 or so, depending on how well you prefer.

I usually aim for somewhere between medium rare and medium, though like you said could SV lower and let the sear do some work too.

I think I used to aim slightly higher on temp for ribeye in order to try and help the fat render a bit more. Unknown if a couple degrees in the 131-137 range would actually impact that at all though, now that I think about it. Have been doing smoking for a bit, it seems like all the fat rendering temps for those sorts of meats (brisket, pork, etc.) are all closer to 200.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 27, 2022