Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
oh that's weird. Is there something going on with the front and center achieve line? I've got 33 wins each for mael and adder but only 23 logged for "Triumph in frontlines"

and what the hell is field of glory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The frontlines win achievements go by your personal GC, not the one you get assigned in the match. Field of glory is the ice map, for some reason

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't have access to the game at the moment to confirm this is the one you're talking about, but also the one that says like "win 200 with any GC" should really say "win 200 with any single GC". So for example I got 100 wins on maelstrom and then switched to adders, and that achievement has not moved from 100/200 despite the 30 wins I've gotten on adders since

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Fields of Glory are the name of the specific area of Coerthas that the Shatter PVP map takes place in.

Specifically, they're in the Coerthas Eastern Lowlands, which, well, didn't exactly make it unscathed through the Calamity.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

iirc there's one series of general frontlines achievements that they added later but didn't count your previous wins

I think it was when they introduced the daily map cycling?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
ah that must be it. The big take away is I'm never getting a solid 90% of those

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
TPT Agalia runs continue to own. Also this felt good:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Been playing ranked CC, haven’t won a match tonight

When does this get fun

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If you need to ask that question the answer is probably never.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

So I finished 2.0 as a Red Mage after leveling as Summoner/Scholar to that point, and I wore the default Red Mage gear. Were the last couple MSQ bosses meant to be big bags of HP, or is this default outfit underwhelming? Admittedly, I fought ultima with NPCs, so I expect they probably weren’t putting out top tier performance, but Lahabrea took a fair while too.

I know I should be getting some ironworks gear for the foreseeable future, but if my default RDM clothes are bad, will I be a liability until I start getting some IW pieces purchased?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think the base red mage gear is actually better than the normal gear you would have at that point. The Ironworks gear is intended to be stuff you get near the end of expansion.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Cool. I’ve mostly healed in my grouping so far, so just wanted to make sure, since some of those DPS check phases got a little tight. Probably still just adjusting to the red mage rotation. Thanks.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Regalingualius posted:

Been playing ranked CC, haven’t won a match tonight

When does this get fun

It’ll happen. I’ve gone hours on just big losing streaks. Are you at the lower levels? You can probably change games by learning how to aggressively defend and push the crystal to help get wins. One thing I’ve learned is that if your team is on the ball, if you’re pushing the Crystal try let them know you’ll move the Crystal by using the “pushing the Crystal” button and they’ll run ahead of you to try and force the enemy to be a bit more sloppy on aggression.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Roach Warehouse posted:

Cool. I’ve mostly healed in my grouping so far, so just wanted to make sure, since some of those DPS check phases got a little tight. Probably still just adjusting to the red mage rotation. Thanks.

If you're still using very early 50 gear by the time you hit Heavensward, you're gonna have a rough go of it for the first few story beats. The game doesn't expect that you'll be completely decked out, but it does balance with the idea that your gear is higher than ilvl 50.

I would say Crystal Tower is when you'll first really feel the difference, but Crystal Tower only needs like maybe 10 people out of 24 to know what they're doing, so having crap gear at that point really just means you get taken out in fewer hits.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Having recently gotten the new Castrum Meridianum in mentor roulette, they very much changed the last 2.0 duties to not fold like a house of cards at max ilvl sync. Maybe a little too much hp, but overall it's a much more tolerable experience than before, at least for roulette runners.

Only done the new Praetorium and Decumana unsynced and those bosses won't even let you skip phases even if you can nuke them to 1 hp; they'll still go through all their special attacks. I'm assuming they're similarly tanky at ilvl sync.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

To put some actual numbers on it - the starter Red Mage gear is item level 115, and Ironworks is 130. So it's not as much of an improvement as it would be, say, upgrading the gear you'd get from finishing the level 50 quest for a base ARR job, which would be item level 90, or even the less good gear acquired as part of the questlines, which caps out at 55. That being said, the final dungeons and the fight with Ultima now have a stricter sync of forcing you into item level 60 for the dungeons, so if you didn't feel powerful that's probably why. The 8-man trials upcoming as part of the ARR "postgame" don't have syncs, so you'll probably own them quite better than that, though dungeons might continue to be synced a little more strictly depending on what part of the patch they were introduced in.

In short - you only probably felt weak because of the sync, and you're not that far away from the power level of Ironworks gear.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The starting Red Mage set is ilvl 115, Augmented Ironworks is ilvl 130.
Because Augmented Ironworks is basically the "end of expansion tomestone set" for ARR, it only starts falling off about halfway into Heavensward content (the 53 dungeon drops equivalent gear while the 55 dungeon drops ilvl 136 gear).
115 is equivalent to the basic Heavensward (HQ) crafted/vendor set for level 50, and is good enough to carry you through to the start of 3.0, but you'll need to keep up with new gear along the way - the main story quest (and some sidequests, but usually more for accessories) will give HQ crafted gear as rewards, so you can just replace as you go from there.

Ironworks is good, but don't feel the need to go out of your way to acquire a full set of it for the stats on Red Mage if you're just doing the story.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Thanks all, that all makes sense. Keen to experience the award-winning expansion heavensward when the time comes (after I spend 100 hours fishing or whatever).

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I finally did it. I've made it to silver after 67 ranked wins.

It's all gravy for me from here on out. This was what I wanted to accomplish in this mode and I did it. I know it's not the highest of heights, but I just wanted to try and prove to myself I could do it, especially after spending so much time rising to Bronze 1 and getting knocked back down to Bronze 3. I really think my time in casual (51 wins in that one) really helped me get a firmer handle on RDM, though I have to say it's been pretty interesting how many games I've won today purely because it was OT and I was the only one on the crystal.

Now to get the last few wins I need for the airship and I think I'm good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

HackensackBackpack posted:

Now to get the last few wins I need for the airship and I think I'm good.

Did you do Feast or is "last few" an understatement?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just took a quick screenshot (with some lighting because it happened to be night) and am kinda amazed at how good this angle turned out so I wanted to share it some more. Everything looks great. Does gpose/screenshot up the game's resolution or something? It feels really crisp compared to in-game and I didn't use any special filters/mods.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
So based on reviews here, I tried out bard in pvp, and was very pleasantly surprised. Yeah, they lack that solo oomph, but they are remarkably good team support. Even just getting to silence someone at mid-low health for three seconds every 20 is very satisfying when you see them realize that their heals and guard aren't working. Warden's Paean is surprisingly good to help out a teammate who is getting focused. Between limit break and the two 5% damage boosts, they can also do some pretty great things for a coordinated team. And if I'm being honest, it's kinda fun being the lowest priority target for most teams.

Yeah, uncoordinated teams won't benefit much and that's probably most of them, but a bard is a great part of setting up a stomp with just a little bit of coordination.

Also, can't believe some teams are still doing the whole pincer attempt thing. Every time I've seen it, every single time, it leads to one person flailing around when they realize their teammates aren't behind them, followed by a snowball effect as five people take on 4, then 3, then 2, then 1. Pretty much the best thing you can do is stay focused as a team while getting them to divide their attention, and trying to pincer at the start of a 5 vs 5 is terrible at accomplishing that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HPanda posted:

So based on reviews here, I tried out bard in pvp, and was very pleasantly surprised. Yeah, they lack that solo oomph, but they are remarkably good team support. Even just getting to silence someone at mid-low health for three seconds every 20 is very satisfying when you see them realize that their heals and guard aren't working. Warden's Paean is surprisingly good to help out a teammate who is getting focused. Between limit break and the two 5% damage boosts, they can also do some pretty great things for a coordinated team. And if I'm being honest, it's kinda fun being the lowest priority target for most teams.

Yeah, uncoordinated teams won't benefit much and that's probably most of them, but a bard is a great part of setting up a stomp with just a little bit of coordination.

Also, can't believe some teams are still doing the whole pincer attempt thing. Every time I've seen it, every single time, it leads to one person flailing around when they realize their teammates aren't behind them, followed by a snowball effect as five people take on 4, then 3, then 2, then 1. Pretty much the best thing you can do is stay focused as a team while getting them to divide their attention, and trying to pincer at the start of a 5 vs 5 is terrible at accomplishing that.

At this point my PLD opener is "watch the one most likely to think they can dive, then pop Guardian on them when they do the dumb thing." Best case all of the enemy team's alpha gets soaked by my guard. Worse case I get turned to vapor but the idiot is still alive to try and trade.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Heavensward LP sets the stage for the grand finale of Heavensward, but pulls back to start tying up the last of its loose ends. We begin in the ruins of a lost city...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I would like to thank this king of a BLM for carrying the gently caress out of us from a near loss to a victory by making GBS threads out insane amounts of damage. I just made sure to cover them as much as I could and be a punching bag while they worked their magic.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Good old "BLM is low tier, that must mean we can ignore them?" before the :supaburn: sets in.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Seconding BRD good chat. Actually picked Ranked on CC and the never ending consistent damage is real nice. My problem was definitely lack of aggression earlier, BRD can disengage so casually.

Did have some truly depressing FLs to end the night though. Being a support gunner and the bulk of your team suiciding into pinches and then sulking and avoiding fights is a special kind of hell.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Bruceski posted:

Did you do Feast or is "last few" an understatement?

I literally have three wins left to get. I was just tired and wanted to go to bed.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm hosting a Crystaline Conflict event for my FC and we're expecting probably 15 people to show up. Basically my plan is to have two randomly generated teams, leftovers spectating. After the game we reshuffle the teams with the spectators and go again.

The hard part is the shuffling - I want to do more than simply randomize the sets each time. I want each player to have roughly the same number of games, with reasonably different team comps and spectators without streaking too many games in a row. I've mostly developed an algorithm to do the sorting that I just need to bang out a few details, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with that, or if there's already some sort of publicly available to do that. We've used other tournament creating things for TT tournaments and whatnot, but I think what I want is a bit complex compared to a regular bracket or round-robin setup.

First of all I hate you that sounds fun.

Second of all, it seems to me the easiest option would be a Tetris-esque bag system. Take every player, shuffle them, then take the first ten in the bag and put them on teams, taking them out of the bag. Then, next game, fill teams from the bag, and when the bag empties, fill it with unplaced players and shuffle, filling in the empty slots again.

The upside of this method is that you get predictability in who gets to play (if you sat out one game, you're assured to be in the next) but not where they are (since you're now free to do team assignments fully random). Some people will get to play twice in a row, but never three times, and you're guaranteed everyone gets the same number of games as everyone else plus or minus one game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1522570033180082177?t=Bgbgm5qfJmdBdVD01qD4Qg&s=19

I love seeing a meme cross languages.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arthars did it, first Twitch stream clear of DSR.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

drat, wish I had been watching it live. That fight is just insanity.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

Arthars did it, first Twitch stream clear of DSR.

I've been enjoying this guy's prog clips on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glHJN1uK5L8

YOOOOSSHIDAAAAAAAA

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Has there been any update on housing in the past few days?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The last update was they're going to apply a fix on May 16, which still hasn't happened.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can you give yourself sprout status? Just encountered a sprout in Alzadaal's Legacy. I guess they could have also never logged off.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Sprouts in current content almost assuredly bought a skip to Endwalker and need to play the requisite amount of hours before they're not sprouts any longer

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

You probably ran into somebody who paid for a story skip. The conditions for losing your sprout are:

1) 300 hrs game time
AND
2) Finished 5.5 MSQ

So yeah, probably a story skipper either way.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait, 300? I thought it was just a full week’s playtime (168 hours)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Used to be in ShB, but it got beefed up for EW