Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Xealot posted:

Sure, I guess. Marc is Latino and also Jewish. And also an Englishman, sometimes.

America Chavez is now an MCU character, as well. Agents of SHIELD had 2 Inhuman characters (Yoyo and Joey) who were Latine.

Agents of SHIELD doesn't count.

Also, what does that other stuff have to do with Marc being Latino? Seems like it's gone a bit unrecognized but he is the first. Almost validates the writers for explicitly stating what Layla was.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Apparently the sidekick assisting the main hero is the same as overshadowing them. Shut it all down folks, can't have more than one hero doing poo poo anymore.

Also #MsheU is really funny as a supposed burn

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why do those hot takes always come from the token "I have a beard to hide my underdeveloped facial features" guys?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"No major plot points would change" except for the part where Konshu remains imprisoned and so Spector/Grant never gets their powers back and therefore Harrow wins. I mean this is 100% Layla, there's no way to write around "Marc's dead and somebody who cares about him has to free Konshu".

I'm assuming these are the same galaxy brains who say "Indiana Jones didn't accomplish anything in Raiders of the Lost Ark".

ruddiger posted:

Why do those hot takes always come from the token "I have a beard to hide my underdeveloped facial features" guys?

Beards are makeup for men and I say that as somebody with a beard.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"No major plot points would change" except for the part where Konshu remains imprisoned and so Spector/Grant never gets their powers back and therefore Harrow wins. I mean this is 100% Layla, there's no way to write around "Marc's dead and somebody who cares about him has to free Konshu".

I'm assuming these are the same galaxy brains who say "Indiana Jones didn't accomplish anything in Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Oh, it's an incredibly stupid "point" to make. Your example is a good one, but also, her character provides her own plot points, as to how she relates to Marc. The Marc/Layla/Steven dynamic is a pretty big part of the show. The original tweeter missing that point is...honestly, not surprising, but still depressing.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Beards are makeup for men and I say that as somebody with a beard.

As another person with a beard, I completely agree. It's our attempt to pretty up our faces in a "socially acceptable" way.

Except that I'd like to add that my daughter has added makeup to my face and sparkles to my beard, and I look god drat amazing with both. Just saying.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Fair point but I was trying to stick purely to plot points since these guys probably don't understand stuff like "emotional depth"

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

As another person with a beard, I completely agree. It's our attempt to pretty up our faces in a "socially acceptable" way.

Except that I'd like to add that my daughter has added makeup to my face and sparkles to my beard, and I look god drat amazing with both. Just saying.

I loving love this. :3:

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Why are there breasts on my super hero this is all wrong. Also here salivate over this you weirdos.

Pickles are good with cheese on crackers and that's about it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bar Patron posted:

Why are there breasts on my super hero this is all wrong. Also here salivate over this you weirdos.

Pickles are good with cheese on crackers and that's about it.

Mods please ban this sick filth

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
I love pickles, but live in a country that doesn't even recognise pickles as existing. So from the sound of it, I live in this thread's idea of either heaven or hell, depending.

1. Wandavision
2. Loki
3. Moon Knight
^ These are the only MCU+ shows that I really go into, in roughly that order of get-into-ness. All three had me wildly discussing theories with my friends and salivating for the next episode, even when some of those episodes weren't always so hot.

4. Hawkeye
5. What If
^ There were some bits I liked in both of these shows, but overall they disappointed me and I kinda want my hours back.

6. F&WS
^ Plenty of good ideas on paper, but they were realised so mediocrely that one almost feels insulted by it. What a waste. Definitely want my hours back for this one. Get on it, Strange.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Very glad this thread is consistent on What If being the worst show. It wasn’t really BAD, just disappointingly mediocre considering the premise and medium.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Worst on that list is still pretty good.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

No, don't you see. To be a hero, a character must have a penis pickle even if it's a really tiny one.

FTFY

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MokBa posted:

Very glad this thread is consistent on What If being the worst show. It wasn’t really BAD, just disappointingly mediocre considering the premise and medium.

Hawkeye was the worst one for me. I really did not like the writing

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

live with fruit posted:

Agents of SHIELD doesn't count.

Also, what does that other stuff have to do with Marc being Latino? Seems like it's gone a bit unrecognized but he is the first. Almost validates the writers for explicitly stating what Layla was.

Canon is an illusion.

And no, the other things are not related. They're just other aspects of his identity people have commented upon or connected to. I find Oscar Isaac's career interesting, because he apparently looks to casting directors like just about anyone and anything. He's Cuban/Guatemalan of French extraction raised in the US; he has previously played Armenian, French, Egyptian, Roman, and Greek roles in addition to plenty of non-specific Americans and a handful of characters from all parts of Latin America.

I'm thrilled with this, if it's unclear. Oscar Isaac's just charismatic as hell. Getting 3 different Oscar Isaacs at once was wonderful.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Strange spoilers do not loving read if you want any surprises

I'm Sorry Wanda friends, it seems like they doubled down on "bitches be crazy" like we saw in WandaVision. It's not the loss of Vision that drives her, but the loss of her kids and the corruption of the Darkhold. Look at her fingers and remember how Agatha looked while she was under the influence of the Darkhold.

Wanda is powerful as gently caress though, tearing through every obstacle in her way and, hey, she's NEVER sexualized. She's framed as powerful and terrifying and a force to be reckoned with and I LOVED IT!

Also, if you think she died at the end, come on, it's a comic book movie, you saw no body, but you did see an xplosion her her energy signature. She went out a hero sacrificing herself and I'm sure she'll turn up further down the road, with a lower power level and wanting to make ammends for the trouble she caused.

America Chavez is more of a plot device than a character, but you see that she has heart. I hope we get a chance to actually focus on her at some point, because we get to see how resourceful she is.

The Illuminati is GREAT. I was messenging people during the credits, so I didn't get to see who was playing Reed. Is it the guy from the Office who loves the CIA? Who was playing Blackbolt, was it the guy from the terrible inhumans series i never watched? But seeing Maria Rambeau as Captian Marvel and Haley Atwell as Captain Britain was great! And then the musical cue from the animated series when Patrick Stewert comes rolling in the 90's hover chair!?!??!?!? I'm not joking, I cried.

Then to top it all off you end with Zombie Strange and his cloak of damned souls fighting Wanda and my god was the the coolest loving thing I have ever seen. THen you finish it off with loving Clea played by Charlize Theron?! GOd drat, I cannot wait to see this agian.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
^All of that, yeah.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
with all the deaths of the Illuminati in that timeline I still hope John plays Reed Richards in the main timeline but I would doubt it now

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/tiberious_nero/status/1522379666681647104?s=21&t=eSEu4uD4y1lDxw05GtcWtw

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

yo label your spoilers if you are going to talk about the movie

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Strange spoilers do not loving read if you want any surprises

I'm Sorry Wanda friends, it seems like they doubled down on "bitches be crazy" like we saw in WandaVision. It's not the loss of Vision that drives her, but the loss of her kids and the corruption of the Darkhold. Look at her fingers and remember how Agatha looked while she was under the influence of the Darkhold.

Wanda is powerful as gently caress though, tearing through every obstacle in her way and, hey, she's NEVER sexualized. She's framed as powerful and terrifying and a force to be reckoned with and I LOVED IT!

Also, if you think she died at the end, come on, it's a comic book movie, you saw no body, but you did see an xplosion her her energy signature. She went out a hero sacrificing herself and I'm sure she'll turn up further down the road, with a lower power level and wanting to make ammends for the trouble she caused.

America Chavez is more of a plot device than a character, but you see that she has heart. I hope we get a chance to actually focus on her at some point, because we get to see how resourceful she is.

The Illuminati is GREAT. I was messenging people during the credits, so I didn't get to see who was playing Reed. Is it the guy from the Office who loves the CIA? Who was playing Blackbolt, was it the guy from the terrible inhumans series i never watched? But seeing Maria Rambeau as Captian Marvel and Haley Atwell as Captain Britain was great! And then the musical cue from the animated series when Patrick Stewert comes rolling in the 90's hover chair!?!??!?!? I'm not joking, I cried.

Then to top it all off you end with Zombie Strange and his cloak of damned souls fighting Wanda and my god was the the coolest loving thing I have ever seen. THen you finish it off with loving Clea played by Charlize Theron?! GOd drat, I cannot wait to see this agian.

Doctor Strange chat:

Yep, Reed is John Krasinski and Black Bolt is the guy from the Inhumans show.

Put me down as really liking that they didn't pull Wanda back. She BISECTED Peggy. I disagree that it's a "bitches be crazy" so much as it's "bitches be grieving" - Wanda needs a therapist real bad.

Moon Knight and overall MCU chat: It might not always work, but I enjoy that the MCU is allowing itself to get weird and push boundaries.

Hate pickles, rating is as follows:

1. WandaVision
2. Loki
3. Moon Knight
4. Hawkeye
5. What If?
6. FATWS

Sorry, FATWS had some good moments but What If has actual episodes I can recall. Even if one of them is Party Thor.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I was liking Moon Knight A LOT until the finale loving went speed run mode. Everything felt so rushed, why do they insist on forcing these shows to adhere to a strict six episode format? They could have easily split this into two episodes (Leyla sneaking around trying to free Marc could’ve easily stretched into a whole episode imo).

Also absolutely criminal that they completely skipped Jake’s fight with Harrow. I mean, I get it because of “the mystery” and all, but we got enough hints leading up to it, and then the reveal in the stinger anyways.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

with all the deaths of the Illuminati in that timeline I still hope John plays Reed Richards in the main timeline but I would doubt it now

One Dr. Strange spoiler and then I'll mention that CD has a Dr. Strange thread.

I bet he will be 616 Richards. Every other Illuminati member was portrayed by their "normal" actor. Unlike the rumored but untrue Tom Cruise Iron Man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think my ranking of D+ MCU Shows is

Loki
Hawkeye
Moon Knight
WandaVision
Falcon and Winter Soldier.

Hawkeye gets rated so high because of Kate and the Kate and Yelena stuff.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

twistedmentat posted:

Hawkeye gets rated so high because of Kate and the Kate and Yelena stuff.

:hai:

Where the gently caress is our Hawkeye/Black Widow movie announcement Feige? :argh:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rarity posted:

:hai:

Where the gently caress is our Hawkeye/Black Widow movie announcement Feige? :argh:

Hawkeye Season 2 just nothing but Yelena and Kate in the big city kicking rear end.

Maybe kissing, a little. Or a lot.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

twistedmentat posted:

Hawkeye Season 2 just nothing but Yelena and Kate in the big city kicking rear end.

Maybe kissing, a little. Or a lot.

I don't even need the rear end kicking tbh :hmmyes:

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Dr. Strange 3D trip report: Didn't blow me away aside from one or two scenes. It didn't ruin the movie either, it was plenty bright and well mastered. There's a lot less reality bending fractal world stuff than the first movie.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Weird question, did Mark actually need Konshu to come back to life? It seemed like he basically did it himself. The Konshu powers did get the bullets out, sure, but all the getting out of the reeds and sands and getting through the gates of the afterlife was all Marc.

Second series is going to be Steven/Mark running around with a moon knight suit, without any powers.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Mark came back to life himself but he was powerless without Khonshu. Its not clear if he wouldn't have died again without the healing powers of the suit. But he certainly couldn't have matched avatar powers Harrow without Khonshu.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Also, non-spoilery thing about Multiverse of Madness relevant to this thread. The movie straight-up expects you to have seen Wandavision in a way that no other MCU film save Endgame has expected you to have seen a previous film. I expect a lot of people who casually follow the films but didn't get D+ will be pretty lost.

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012
I do like me some pickles. My MCU TV show rankings is as follow.

1. Wandavision
- Overall solid, got 10 episodes so the show had some time to breath. Having a typical MCU fight at the end was pretty disappointing but not disappointing enough to ruin the show.

2. Loki
- Great premise and I liked the execution. The big downside with this show is the big downside most MCU shows share i.e. the 6 episode season count, it makes the whole thing feel rushed and nothing gets time breath.

3. Hawkeye
- Kate Bishop was great and so was the Kate and Yelena interactions. I didn't mind Renner's Hawkeye that much and overall it felt like a nice ending to that characters story even if he will probably show up again eventually.

4. Moon Knight
- I liked the premise and the first episode, but after that episode the story barely progress at all until the end of episode 4. The last two episodes were pretty solid again but the finale felt a little rushed and could have used at least 10 min longer run time.

5. Falcon & the Winter Soldier
- Not much worth to be found here, boring and with weird pacing. The only thing of worth to be found here is anytime Zemo is on screen and that is enough to put it slightly ahead of..

6. What if
- Disappointing mostly. You could have done so much fun stuff with the concept, all the while I was mostly just bored watching this.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What does Dr. Strange do for money? In the first movie they explicitly state that he's broke but he seems to be doing pretty well for himself now.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Lammasu posted:

What does Dr. Strange do for money? In the first movie they explicitly state that he's broke but he seems to be doing pretty well for himself now.

Is he doing well? Didn’t Infinity War sort of imply that he and Wong could barely scratch up a few rupees between them for some ice cream?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pretty sure if you're a master of the mystic arts you have a lot of ways to magically gain some cash.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Doctor Strange sure is a Sam Raimi movie.

And by that, I mean it has a Bruce Campbell cameo.

Also, looks like the “Wanda’s grief causes the XMU to collide in” theory still has some legs.

Also, the LGBT representation is still a bit “we can cut this out if you want, oh mighty censor board”. America Chavez isn’t explicitly gay (but she wears a pride pin on her jacket), and her two moms are only in one scene.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

TinTower posted:

Doctor Strange sure is a Sam Raimi movie.

And by that, I mean it has a Bruce Campbell cameo.

Also, looks like the “Wanda’s grief causes the XMU to collide in” theory still has some legs.

Also, the LGBT representation is still a bit “we can cut this out if you want, oh mighty censor board”. America Chavez isn’t explicitly gay (but she wears a pride pin on her jacket), and her two moms are only in one scene.

I will give Disney credit, they didn't take it out for Saudi Arabia and it ended up band.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Codependent Poster posted:

Pretty sure if you're a master of the mystic arts you have a lot of ways to magically gain some cash.

Dr. Strange's first comic appearance has him being hired by a guy that is having terrible nightmares. Bet there's a market niche for the (former) Sorcerer Supreme to show up at some rich guy's house, wave his hands around and declare the building is ghost free, that'll be a cool 10 thousand bucks. Maybe once he meets Blade and Moon Knight they'll team-up to offer Vampire and Werewolf protection for a yearly sum.

Edit: You made me remember this, so share in the suffering!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzQktI1d1zs

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 6, 2022

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Seriously though, Feige must have balls so massive they are singularities to bring back Anson Mount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The mortgage on the Sanctum Sanctorum was probably paid off centuries ago and dude can magic up whatever food and drink he needs, Strange doesn't even need money really