Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

baby brain- it's unacceptable to inconvenience drivers
big brain- inconveniencing drivers is acceptable if it enables people to get around using other modes of transportation
planet brain- inconveniencing drivers is, in itself, good
galaxy brain- ban cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ham Equity posted:

It's a freeway exit and it's not super tight, but it is tight for coming off a freeway at high speed, suddenly seeing a traffic light, and clamming on your brakes.

it's tight in the sense it's difficult for drooling moron drivers to navigate

distortion park posted:

I have understanding how this happens, is there some tight turn right beforehand? It's a big concrete wall!

here's a google street view of the exit, it does warn you to slow down to 20 and you have several hundred feet to do so.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

it's tight in the sense it's difficult for drooling moron drivers to navigate

here's a google street view of the exit, it does warn you to slow down to 20 and you have several hundred feet to do so.

It also warns you about the light that is coming up

People are so good at driving, I feel safe with these people who pay attention to their environment when maneuvering their 5,000 pound pieces of machinery at 70+ mph

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

It also warns you about the light that is coming up

People are so good at driving, I feel safe with these people who pay attention to their environment when maneuvering their 5,000 pound pieces of machinery at 70+ mph

one of my favorite things about cars is that people will say "i'm such a bad driver" as if it is something like an eye color rather than a skill you can practice and become better at

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

baby brain- it's unacceptable to inconvenience drivers
big brain- inconveniencing drivers is acceptable if it enables people to get around using other modes of transportation
planet brain- inconveniencing drivers is, in itself, good
galaxy brain- ban cars

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

just saw this on the basketball show

https://youtu.be/aIEDWGT7gsk

Driving on the beach is one of the worst things you can do there! Sea turtles nest at night! You can't drive on the dunes! You probably crushed an unmarked sea turtle nest! gently caress!!!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Driving on the beach is one of the worst things you can do there! Sea turtles nest at night! You can't drive on the dunes! You probably crushed an unmarked sea turtle nest! gently caress!!!

You can also run over people on the beach because it's not a road. People walk around and lay down on the beach all the time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bonus points for mangling them with your hitch rake

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

Vienna, Austria.

We can fix it.

I can dream

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo

the greatest inconvience for drivers is more drivers, so i cannot support this position

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Vienna, Austria.

We can fix it.

I literally think the Austrains are too high an aspiration for america at this point

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

You can also run over people on the beach because it's not a road. People walk around and lay down on the beach all the time.

Sometimes the beach is a highway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dog Case posted:

Where's that, florida? lol

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Dog Case posted:

Hahaha wow

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Dog Case posted:

Almost as infuriating as the words "private beach." Beaches should always be public.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Almost as infuriating as the words "private beach." Beaches should always be public.

typically they are public, at least at the high tide line, but access is the issue and rich people go to great lengths to hide access

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-05-05/rebecca-grossman-to-face-murder-trial-in-crash-that-killed-2-boys

https://citricdummies.bandcamp.com/track/kill-everyone-who-drives

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

but where do you park??

you can't. that's why all the shops in those photos are out of business and no one goes there anymore

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that whole area should be razed. hidden hills and calabasas

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

wow, what a nice person.

quote:

Shean testified Wednesday that in 2013, a California Highway Patrol officer pulled over Grossman after she was clocked going 92 mph on the 101 Freeway in Agoura Hills and warned her she could kill someone.

He said the officer recalled the incident because of a comment he said Grossman made: “He better hope he doesn’t need to come to the Grossman Burn Center for help.”

quote:

Samuels, however, ruled the air bag “didn’t [just] go off.” The judge said there were 14 ignition attempts after Grossman’s Mercedes stopped, so there is no other explanation than that she was trying to flee, making the case for a hit-and-run.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Where's that, florida? lol

Ocean Shores, WA

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

WaryWarren posted:

wow, what a nice person.

Can't take away her loving drivers license, though:

quote:

Grossman faces 34 years to life in prison if convicted. She has pleaded not guilty and has been out of jail for 18 months on $2-million bail. Samuels ordered her to return to court May 20 and gave her permission to drive again for the first time in over a year.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

ArmZ posted:

typically they are public, at least at the high tide line, but access is the issue and rich people go to great lengths to hide access

It varies. In Oregon beaches can be private property, but are still open to public access up to the high tide or vegetation line. In WA state they can be privately owned and whether or not they can be publicly accessed is ????? There's never been any sort of case to determine how it actually works.

It doesn't stop people from putting no trespassing signs, including the very official looking one nearby with a RCW number and everything but if you actually look it up it's just something about burglary being illegal

gently caress this broke brained country and its' lack of any sort of freedom to roam laws. If there's anything worse tha thinking everything needs to accommodate cars it's thinking that every little square inch of this stolen land needs to be owned by somebody

EDIT: Since I'm still mad about it here's a local beach that's only as wide as the parking lot. There are no trespassing signs in the driftwood where you can't see them in the satellite view

Dog Case has issued a correction as of 03:03 on May 6, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

they were both driving SUVs so the best worst part is she legitimately might not have seen them lol

someone post all the kids lined up in front of the SUV again

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dog Case posted:

It varies. In Oregon beaches can be private property, but are still open to public access up to the high tide or vegetation line. In WA state they can be privately owned and whether or not they can be publicly accessed is ????? There's never been any sort of case to determine how it actually works.

It doesn't stop people from putting no trespassing signs, including the very official looking one nearby with a RCW number and everything but if you actually look it up it's just something about burglary being illegal

gently caress this broke brained country and its' lack of any sort of freedom to roam laws. If there's anything worse tha thinking everything needs to accommodate cars it's thinking that every little square inch of this stolen land needs to be owned by somebody

EDIT: Since I'm still mad about it here's a local beach that's only as wide as the parking lot. There are no trespassing signs in the driftwood where you can't see them in the satellite view

I hate it when people put up no trespassing signs on public rights of way or try to hide them

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
California has a Beach Villain

Best part is where they point out that the Beach Villain bought the property in question on a whim and has never stayed a single night there. Also he is in favor of the the law that allows the public to have access to beaches, just not the beach that fronts his property.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

withak posted:

California has a Beach Villain

Best part is where they point out that the Beach Villain bought the property in question on a whim and has never stayed a single night there.
i was going to post the martins beach one but i think this had a happen ending where he was forced to keep it publically open

i've never been but thats because going down the peninsula and towards santa cruz is an absolute disastrous nightmare with some of the dumbest car drivers ever. only north bay beaches for me. sucks pretty much the only way to get to beaches in america is to drive there, like for as bad as public transit is general, it's even worse if you want to get to a coast. i remember hopping on the train in rome and just taking it 45 minutes away down to the beach and it owned.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:17 on May 6, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also beach access rights are cool and should exist everywhere

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

someone modded a car into elden ring and it immediately ran over 6 pedestrians and a horse cop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQsp7ozg24c

quite telling, tbqh

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

WaryWarren posted:

wow, what a nice person.

quote:

the older child, Mark, was struck by the vehicle and thrown 254 feet, the farthest he has known a human to be tossed in a crash.

if this was me I’d be planning my “a time to kill” movie reenactment

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

WaryWarren posted:

wow, what a nice person.

lol turns out you CAN threaten a cop

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol turns out you CAN threaten a cop

you just need to be white and rich

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

WaryWarren posted:

wow, what a nice person.

quote:

Samuels ordered her to return to court May 20 and gave her permission to drive again for the first time in over a year.

imagine if you shot two kids and the courts were like "ooh yep, it's been a year, you can have your guns back now"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

El Pollo Blanco posted:

imagine if you shot two kids and the courts were like "ooh yep, it's been a year, you can have your guns back now"

she needs them to get to work! you want her to starve??

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

i mean not my first choice but i'd take it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mystes posted:

Also beach access rights are cool and should exist everywhere

that's nothing, in sweden there's a law that says everyone has the right to go anywhere except within 75 yards of a house that is being occupied. "owning land," in sweden, does not give you the right to stop people from entering it, camping on it, fishing from it, whatever.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

that's nothing, in sweden there's a law that says everyone has the right to go anywhere except within 75 yards of a house that is being occupied. "owning land," in sweden, does not give you the right to stop people from entering it, camping on it, fishing from it, whatever.

That's the freedom to roam stuff I was talking about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

Not here though! My ancestors bought this land from the government that stole it fair and square. I'm not using it for anything, and you'd better not either. Maybe if we vote really hard somebody can push something through that allows it as long as you don't leave your car

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
This thread is cool and made me jealous

https://twitter.com/soc4austin/status/1522106908261371911?t=za8eng93k3g2c-0060CF9A&s=19

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
I think we should ban cars and force people to be self-sufficient. After all, if you can't make-do without a CAR you're basically a tiny-little weak un-masculine bitch baby who probably deserves to loving DIE. I think this is reasonable, because this is essentially the gist of America's social policy towards like 90% of it's population anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ArmZ posted:

My wife and I had a very small wedding and spent the money we had saved up for a honeymoon in Italy. We were trying to find a place to change in Formia, when we walked onto a small section of beach and this fat old white American came over with the "Can I help you?" "Well, this is a private beach."

Like, excuse the gently caress out of me.

Also, we didn't need a car once in Italy, we took the bus, the train, and a short hop on a plane from Venice to Naples, and then took the train back up the coast to Rome.

Bikes in Italy: