Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
With supply lines, you could have a faction with higher than typical Upkeep, and every ten consecutive turns you are not in the Capitol territory a supply train caravan is dispatched that travels one territory a turn. When it arrives in the same territory as the army that army gets a 5 turn buff greatly decreasing Upkeep (and other bonuses with research and skills).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
You already get a big movement boost from roads. But I agree the difference should be larger. Are terrain properties moddable?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Playing the Dune Civilization RTS thing and they did supply pretty well. A shame that CA can't do it with turns.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Arghy posted:

It's not impossible to have flags that say, hey don't charge cav into halberds unless you have no other choice while also having, hey gobbos halberds are a juicy target. If the AI is now issuing X amount of orders a minute it could order units into favorable fights while pulling units out of unfavorable fights. Granted it'd be a huge amount of work but it's very much within reach of current coding.

Cool now do it when a player is interacting with them so the player doesn't just abuse the poo poo out of it.

I know you're halfway through typing "but that already happens" and that's literally my point.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The most likely outcome of Total War suddenly having genius AI is that:

1) Since the AI can perfectly macro 40 units simultaneously...

2) A lot of Arghys will realize they're not quite as good at the game as they think they are.

It's fun to have a reasonable foe to beat the poo poo out of with turtle boxes, mass artillery and spells. If you really want to see what the game would be like when every engagement counts go PvP extensively.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I like PVP in this game but it would make for a miserable campaign.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Every AI playing like Legend

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
They need a dragons dogma AI deal where the AI learns to play like you.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it would be funny if the AI just randomly forgot about a flanking cav unit and let them get murdered by zombies or whatever

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

punishedkissinger posted:

it would be funny if the AI just randomly forgot about a flanking cav unit and let them get murdered by zombies or whatever

Lmao I downloaded the AI General mod specifically because I kept doing this. The mod rules too

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

I don't want the AI having access to quick save and load :ohdear:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stuffing corners full of spears, artillery, and arc-firing ranged units?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do wonder if they create square combat maps to allow players a potential handicap. Circle maps would work better I think

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

Stuffing corners full of spears, artillery, and arc-firing ranged units?

If the AI could aim spells properly this would be a lot less effective.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I dipped back into The Good Game and have found a new appreciation for Blessed Horned Ones

bless THIS horn ayyy lmao

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I was always a fan of slapping a speed banner on a blessed carnosaur. Zoooooooom.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

I would like this but only if the AI behaviour could be shared.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I would like this but only if the AI behaviour could be shared.

I'd love to be able to have weirdo versions of factions. Bizarro Empire, hater of dwarfs, pro-Chaos. Naggarond and Ulthuan team-up.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Sever the tail Everchosen! Greenskins ill like fire!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Every AI playing like Legend

Against an AI with the same resource cheats as current AI on the campaign map and the same abilities as an AI on the battle map? I say it's possible but would be much more of a slog.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

jokes posted:

I'd love to be able to have weirdo versions of factions. Bizarro Empire, hater of dwarfs, pro-Chaos. Naggarond and Ulthuan team-up.

Actually that is a neat mod idea; There was a mod for Fall Of the Samurai that had each country randomly get shogun, emperor, or republic allegiance each new game

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

jokes posted:

This would be pretty cool. Rare events that permanently altered relations would be pretty neat too if they didn't occur every game but occasionally cropped up, like the Empire forgets to bow to the High King appropriately and it ends up with a turbo-grudge that starts the First War of Beards and Moustaches, or the Lizard Men interpreting the great plan to mean kill those remaining ancient dragons in Cathay and going on a Crusade against them, etc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It would be interesting to see a game balanced around the concept that losing units and having an army crippled from time to time just happens and isn't really avoidable(assuming you're fighting equal or superior strength enemies), as opposed to most Total War games where it's generally expected that your main stack is going to bulldoze through dozens of armies and the only units you're likely going to lose are instantly replaceable chaff unless you're fighting a heroic last stand against ten times your numbers.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A week after the disastrous road map was released Warhammer 2 has now taken a commanding lead over Warhammer 3 boasting about 50% more players.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

punishedkissinger posted:

I like PVP in this game but it would make for a miserable campaign.

This is how pvp campaigns work currently. Every time you fight a non player army the other player can jump in and control them

I usually make deals not to do it for the initial province to prevent torture

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A week after the disastrous road map was released Warhammer 2 has now taken a commanding lead over Warhammer 3 boasting about 50% more players.

Because WH2 is the better game for now. But I'm confident that this will change with the IE release. I like WH3 better mechanically, the whole diplomacy system for example is leagues ahead of WH2. But the factions (apart from Cathay) are not as fun as a lot of the WH2 factions, while the campaign mostly sucks, like Vortex did. When Immortal Empires gets released, we'll have the best of both worlds. The mechanical improvements, additional factions and bigger scope of WH3, combined with the old WH2 and WH1 factions, and a campaign that's more sandbox-y.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

It definitely got me back into playing TW2 and I'm having a blast. Missing some of the new features from 3 but TW2 all modded up and with the DLC will keep me going until next year when Immortal Empires might be playable.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Torrannor posted:

Because WH2 is the better game for now. But I'm confident that this will change with the IE release. I like WH3 better mechanically, the whole diplomacy system for example is leagues ahead of WH2. But the factions (apart from Cathay) are not as fun as a lot of the WH2 factions, while the campaign mostly sucks, like Vortex did. When Immortal Empires gets released, we'll have the best of both worlds. The mechanical improvements, additional factions and bigger scope of WH3, combined with the old WH2 and WH1 factions, and a campaign that's more sandbox-y.

I don't share your confidence in IE coming along in 6 months time to save the day but I do envy it. The diplomacy system is the only improvement on WH2 that WH3 makes (that I can think of). It's the same as or worse than in every other respect.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
The simultaneous turns in MP are a god send though

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So there's a mac version announced (whatevs) and on the dev's website there's a picture of a chaos campaign map that has several small changes, the most interesting of which is the addition of Albion. Makes u think.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Now that I think about it my most memorable experience with diplomacy in wh3 was beating my head against a brick wall trying to confederate as Cathay only to find out that they hardcoded it so they would never accept a confederation for some reason.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Now that I think about it my most memorable experience with diplomacy in wh3 was beating my head against a brick wall trying to confederate as Cathay only to find out that they hardcoded it so they would never accept a confederation for some reason.

That's cool, I modded it to start as both.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm just glad they didn't implement Troy-style trading, though admittedly it would be a little superfluous without the multiple resources system also added in. Honestly making trade agreements was the worst part of playing Troy. Fool me played the most trade-oriented faction at launch lol RIP. Instead we got TWW2 diplomacy but better, which is fine by me.

I have been busy doing things that aren't playing TWW3 for a while now after doing a Slaanesh campaign when mods launched. If there is a mod that improves autoresolve now then that combined with the one that replaces minor settlement maps with field battle maps might actually make me happy with the game now. Besides how few factions there are anyway.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

For anyone who has thoughts about building videogame AI and how it could be improved, I highly, HIGHLY recommend the game Gladiabots, which is a 4v4 arena fighting game where all you are able to do is code the AI. It's hard.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Doomykins posted:

The most likely outcome of Total War suddenly having genius AI is that:

1) Since the AI can perfectly macro 40 units simultaneously...

2) A lot of Arghys will realize they're not quite as good at the game as they think they are.

It's fun to have a reasonable foe to beat the poo poo out of with turtle boxes, mass artillery and spells. If you really want to see what the game would be like when every engagement counts go PvP extensively.

The hardest part of game AI is that AI isn't supposed to win, its supposed to put up a good fight and lose.

Making an AI that shits on players is trivial in most cases. Think about an FPS. By default they can have aimbot accuracy. But killing the player isn't the goal. Presenting a challenge is.

Xae fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 6, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's not trivial in a strategy game to make an ai that outperforms any player. It's easier to make that than a challenging but still human beatable ai, but still difficult given the number of variables and generally much harder than the absolutely brain dead ai that pop up from time to time.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

The game is mostly negative on Steam now

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

queeb posted:

The game is mostly negative on Steam now

That's stupid.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
There does seem to be a possible leak of some tiny terrain updates to the RoC map, centered around the empire. There's Albion as an island, the Marches of Couronne right below it, the Witchwoods is shrunk down and loses its port to the Northern Wastelands, and the Middle Mountains is placed between Hochland and Erengrad, possibly as a one settlement province like the one Grom starts at in ME.

These could be some nice changes, add some texture to the map and give places for Bretonnia and Orcs to exist as minor factions, but given that it's a random leak it's hard to say if it's likely before the 2.0 patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
There are plenty of orcs in the badlands, skaven too

They just never amount to anything