Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's a really great video channel on youtube called Cartoonist Kayfabe where two professional comic book creators flip through their favorite comics on camera, today they flipped through the first Alien miniseries released by Dark Horse, drawn by Mark A. Nelson and written by Mark Verheiden. I was a big fan of the art in this series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX8XueuXvmY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

There's a really great video channel on youtube called Cartoonist Kayfabe where two professional comic book creators flip through their favorite comics on camera, today they flipped through the first Alien miniseries released by Dark Horse, drawn by Mark A. Nelson and written by Mark Verheiden. I was a big fan of the art in this series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX8XueuXvmY

That series had great art, especially in black and white as it was originally published. There was an Aliens themed lootcrate about 6-7 years ago and one of the items in the box was a really classy hardback copy of that series in black and white with gilded page edges, it was really nice and a standout item in the box.

I also really like Den Beauvis’s art on ‘Aliens’ Volume 2.

I’m not as thrilled with Sam Keith’s art for volume 3. I dunno, it’s just too stylized for my taste and it doesn’t look as good as the art in volumes 1 and 2. He did come back for an Aliens story years later (“Aliens: Almost Human” if I remember right) and I felt the art looked a lot better than his first outing.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Cartoonist kayfabe is a fantastic channel

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

Cartoonist kayfabe is a fantastic channel

It's my favorite thing on youtube. They've done a video on Aliens Salvation as well, they're huge Gibbons and Mignola fans and sing their praises constantly. I can't wait for them to flip through the Kelley Jones and Sam Kieth books, I love both of those artists and Rugg and Piskor name dropped them a few times in past episodes so they hold them in high reverence as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwCobSyEFlU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The thread belongs to the people.

That the three 'Ripley' films all have exceedingly little in common is, simply, true.

There's a reason only Paul W.S. Anderson has officially returned to the 'Alien Queen' concept, and that nobody has returned to the 'Colonial Marines' concept (after Gordon's jokey short film). Attempts at forcing Aliens into canon resulted in the creation of at least one infamously stupid videogame.

What do you mean both Alien 3 and Resurrection used the Alien queen concept.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

What do you mean both Alien 3 and Resurrection used the Alien queen concept.

SMG is not interested in your “logic” or “facts”

He is a Perfect Organism, unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of reality

Also nobody has returned to the colonial marines because of budget restrictions (AvP 1 and 2) or not being a part of the story the director wanted to tell (the prequels). Neil Blomkamp had full intentions of going back to the Marines in his Alien5.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 5, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The thread belongs to the people.

That the three 'Ripley' films all have exceedingly little in common is, simply, true.

There's a reason only Paul W.S. Anderson has officially returned to the 'Alien Queen' concept, and that nobody has returned to the 'Colonial Marines' concept (after Gordon's jokey short film). Attempts at forcing Aliens into canon resulted in the creation of at least one infamously stupid videogame.
The 1999 AvP game and its sequel both included the queen and colonial marines as concepts and if you have a bad thing to say about either of them I will gut you like a pig.

A:FE also uses both but that's a bit more controversial. The story and voice acting are surprisingly good though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

The 1999 AvP game and its sequel both included the queen and colonial marines as concepts and if you have a bad thing to say about either of them I will gut you like a pig.

A:FE also uses both but that's a bit more controversial. The story and voice acting are surprisingly good though.

Fireteam Elite is a cool game. I wish it had more campaign content but the weapons are fun and varied, combat is largely solid, the level design (especially the way it incorporates concepts from ‘Prometheus’) is cool, and overall it’s a good time.

Edit— vvvvvvvvv if anyone wants to give it a whirl, my Steam ID is Xenomrph

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 6, 2022

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Fire team elite came out just before we had our first baby so I never finished it and the game died fairly quickly due to lack of content. But I thought it was a solid game and I recommend it to anyone that can wrangle two others to play it with them

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I got a question for the "the marines would've beat the aliens if they didn't have to fight with their hands tied behind their backs" crowd, do you think the humans eventually win the war against drugs bugs in Starship Troopers?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

when is the alien supposed to sneak on the helicopter and kill the pilot

When it's on the ground, OBVIOUSLY.

Xenomrph posted:

Fireteam Elite is a cool game. I wish it had more campaign content but the weapons are fun and varied, combat is largely solid, the level design (especially the way it incorporates concepts from ‘Prometheus’) is cool, and overall it’s a good time.

It is really atmospheric and captures the feel of "Aliens" very well. The downside is that "games as a service" exists and playing the same thing over and over for marginal power increases isn't really anyone's cup of tea; for a successful GAAS you need a drip of new content as least as strong as Warframe or Destiny, which is not the case with Fireteam Elite.

They're not a huge studio, one simply cannot expect Bungie level work from them.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I got a question for the "the marines would've beat the aliens if they didn't have to fight with their hands tied behind their backs" crowd, do you think the humans eventually win the war against drugs bugs in Starship Troopers?

Yeah, easily. Poor bugs don't stand a chance against tanks or aerial/orbital bombing.

But the situation is pretty different - the absent human leadership seems to want to use klendathu as a forever war (like drugs or terror), whereas WY Corp and the marines just want a happy colony and Burke just wants to 'get ahead'.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The whole "hand tied behind their backs" thing is kinda of a weird way to describe the situation too. Its basically a pretty normal ROE thing to not just lay waste to schools, mosques, hospitalsfusion reactor heat exchangers with hugely destructive ammo. Why they're even carrying explosive tipped ammo vs creatures that they know bleed acid is a mystery.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

the military realized orbital bombing didn't work once they found out the bulk of the bug communities were in underground hives.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

Edit— vvvvvvvvv if anyone wants to give it a whirl, my Steam ID is Xenomrph
The tie in novel is also surprisingly good. I'd love for season 4 to add return to Palla Station as the new chapter.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

The whole "hand tied behind their backs" thing is kinda of a weird way to describe the situation too. Its basically a pretty normal ROE thing to not just lay waste to schools, mosques, hospitalsfusion reactor heat exchangers with hugely destructive ammo. Why they're even carrying explosive tipped ammo vs creatures that they know bleed acid is a mystery.

Well nobody read the briefing (except for Gorman, maybe?) so I guess they didn’t even think of acid for blood, or perhaps they thought Ripley’s briefing was full of poo poo so they ignored it.

That or it’s a commentary on the military’s inability or unwillingness to adapt to the enemy’s strengths and weaknesses I guess.

Interestingly the pulse rifles we see in Alien3 seem to be firing conventional, non-explosive rounds. They sound different, and they don’t splatter Morse or Aaron when they get shot.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the only person who believed ripley was burke and when he wasnt sabotaging the mission he wasnt taking it seriously either

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’ll add ya, xeno. Think I’ve got two missions still to beat the game but happy to play whatever. Pretty irregular gaming schedule for me but will try to link up

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the only person who believed ripley was burke and when he wasnt sabotaging the mission he wasnt taking it seriously either

They see large amounts of acid damage 3min after entering the complex. They know what the hazards are before entering the hive

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah they were obviously aware she wasn't making poo poo up when they see the acid damage and the dead facehugger/etc., they just were over-confidant that they would steamroll whatever they ran into.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All this acid talk, I thought I was in the Raised By Wolves thread for a moment (everyone go watch Raised By Wolves)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

All this acid talk, I thought I was in the Raised By Wolves thread for a moment (everyone go watch Raised By Wolves)

What streaming platform is that on? Amazon?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HBO Max

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ruddiger posted:

no don't it's wack

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mister Speaker posted:

no don't it's wack

Absolutely watch it, it's wack. It's weird as poo poo and people make terrible choices and there's milk filled robots.

I'd be willing to bet that Ridley Scott smashed open a roomba when they first came out and wept when only circuit boards and plastic came out instead of milk.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah they were obviously aware she wasn't making poo poo up when they see the acid damage and the dead facehugger/etc., they just were over-confidant that they would steamroll whatever they ran into.

They're not. The marines are all extremely pissed and nervous when they are told to give up their ammo before going into the processor because they correctly appreciate how dangerous it is.

The experienced soldiers are sensible and make the right decisions all the way through. Its Gorman who fucks up, but even then the film does show that he was right about what a bad idea it would be for anyone to start shooting in the processor.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Even if they had taken Ripley's experiences seriously her experience was a single alien going apex predator on her crew. Even with the extended scenes we only see it crafting new eggs. Kidnapping living colonists to bring them to the eggs resulting in hundreds of aliens was not really predictable behaviour. The tactics and preparations for taking down a couple of very dangerous animals are very different to those for taking down a colony sized army.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Splicer posted:

Kidnapping living colonists to bring them to the eggs resulting in hundreds of aliens was not really predictable behaviour. The tactics and preparations for taking down a couple of very dangerous animals are very different to those for taking down a colony sized army.

Nope; Ripley says that there are thousands of crab-eggs. The threat is especially obvious after they find all 157 colonists missing (and presumed dead) - but the marines were always expecting to find lots of aliens.

"I only need to know one thing: where they are."
"If the colonists have found that ship, there's no telling how many of them have been exposed."
"Somebody must have bagged one of Ripley's bad guys here."
"Busy little creatures, huh?

Again, we gotta be clear on what's happening in order to avoid another conspiracy theory.
While the marines initially speculate that the colony may just be silent because of a broken radio, the implications if that's not the case are very bad. When they fly over the colony, they're looking for major structural damage and power loss because that's the kind of damage Ripley's aliens could have done.

So, the marines are fully aware of everything, except for 1) the fact that the aliens don't show up on infrared and 2) that the aliens think differently. Like, for example, when the aliens all sleep in the walls and leave the hive totally unguarded. That does not appear to be a deliberate trap at all; they just aren't preoccupied with building doors and barriers. This is where we have the overlap with Starship Troopers:

"When a colony reaches a certain size - 300 generations or something - it gets smarter."
"Maybe there's some kind of bug that we haven't seen yet? A leadership caste - a hive-brain?"
"'Brain bugs'? Frankly, I find the idea of a bug that thinks offensive!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Splicer posted:

Even if they had taken Ripley's experiences seriously her experience was a single alien going apex predator on her crew. Even with the extended scenes we only see it crafting new eggs. Kidnapping living colonists to bring them to the eggs resulting in hundreds of aliens was not really predictable behaviour. The tactics and preparations for taking down a couple of very dangerous animals are very different to those for taking down a colony sized army.

Yeah, but doesn't she at some point early on mention that "just one of these things wiped out my entire crew" or something like that?

I think the overall implication for how her story is taken is a combination of total dismissal, casual hand waving and a kind of "yeah, but we're loving marines, not a bunch of space trucker delivery drivers" attitude.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the overall implication for how her story is taken is a combination of total dismissal, casual hand waving and a kind of "yeah, but we're loving marines, not a bunch of space trucker delivery drivers" attitude.
That’s pretty much how I read it. “I only need to know one thing: where they are.”

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

ruddiger posted:

the military realized orbital bombing didn't work once they found out the bulk of the bug communities were in underground hives.

Oh right, it's been a little time since I watched troopers

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

No he was, he's just an idiot

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Do people really think the set design of Aliens sucks? I always thought it looked amazing, but maybe my childlike exuberance has extended into adulthood.

Sure the colony looks like a lovely place to live with industrial grating everywhere, but I always just took that to mean Weyland Yutani doesn't really give a poo poo. Someone mentioned it looks like Lazer Tag - but, I feel that Lazer Tag actually just looks like Aliens, intentionally so. Is it because the aesthetic is now so overdone that the source looks kind of cliched? I've watched Aliens with Modern Folks who have never seen it and they always remark about how it 'looks like videogames', but that's because videogames have been aping Aliens for decades.

It's just a facility designed to keep the people alive whose only purpose is to babysit the atmosphere processor which will in theory turn the planet into something more livable or profitable in the future, maybe long after these colonists are dead. "It takes decades".

It is also seemingly the most influential sci-fi aesthetic outside of Blade Runner for how Sci-Fi corridors and militaries look in other games, movies, art, etc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The lighting kind of sucks but that’s because of the DP who shot it at first over lit everything and didn’t take direction well. So he got fired. Other scenes look good. But not sure what that DP shot vs what he didn’t.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Probably lit that colony scene from the extended version because that was bad.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Joe Chill posted:

Probably lit that colony scene from the extended version because that was bad.
Wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the earliest scenes shot because Sigourney Weaver's previous film (Half Moon Street) was overrunning and she wasn't available, so the original DP would have handled it.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I personally I think STARSHIP TROOPERS did the whole space marine vs. bugs thing better than ALIENS. STARSHIP TROOPERS also seems to get more thematically relevant with age in our increasingly gung-ho propagandized society by the security state/media apparatus whereas ALIENS is very much a Vietnam movie.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Do people really think the set design of Aliens sucks? I always thought it looked amazing, but maybe my childlike exuberance has extended into adulthood.

Sure the colony looks like a lovely place to live with industrial grating everywhere, but I always just took that to mean Weyland Yutani doesn't really give a poo poo. Someone mentioned it looks like Lazer Tag - but, I feel that Lazer Tag actually just looks like Aliens, intentionally so. Is it because the aesthetic is now so overdone that the source looks kind of cliched? I've watched Aliens with Modern Folks who have never seen it and they always remark about how it 'looks like videogames', but that's because videogames have been aping Aliens for decades.

It's just a facility designed to keep the people alive whose only purpose is to babysit the atmosphere processor which will in theory turn the planet into something more livable or profitable in the future, maybe long after these colonists are dead. "It takes decades".

It is also seemingly the most influential sci-fi aesthetic outside of Blade Runner for how Sci-Fi corridors and militaries look in other games, movies, art, etc.

I think its mostly fine, but when put up against ALIEN, there is a very clear superiority in cinematography and production design. I think this is because Ridley Scott went to art school for many years and also had a background in production design and cinematography...which served him notoriously well in doing Blade Runner a few years later. If by some chance anyone here hasn't seen the 40th anniversary 4K version of ALIEN, do that asap because its incredible.

Gresh fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 7, 2022

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Cameron was clearly enamoured with the repetitive grids of gunmetal texture, but there’s very little consideration given to how anyone would actually use this stuff. That’s what gives it that videogamey quality.

Like, Hadley’s Hope is primarily a residence for ‘planet engineers’ and surveyors for the mining industry. It’s been operating in deep space for ‘over twenty years’. The atmosphere processor, we’re told, is fully automated - so we can presume the populstion is mostly made up of the maintenance crew. However, what we’re shown are, like, offices and computer rooms. A laboratory. While the place does look pre-fab, it doesn’t look used. We don’t see a single residence, and only a brief glimpse at a surveying vehicle.

(And, like, have they been doing all their surveying by car, this whole time? Planets are pretty big!)

In the ‘Special Edition’, people are bustling around the command centre doing Sorkinesque walk-and-talks, and you gotta ask: what is all this bullshit? What are they even doing? The colonists’ three main tasks are 1) looking at rocks 2) legal paperwork concerning rock ownership 3) waiting for something to break down while the big machine slowly coverts gasses into other gasses. Wouldn’t these jobs actually entail a whole lot of tedium?

So it’s like with the marines’ uniforms: tasked with imagining planetary exploration 200 years in the future, Cameron gives us an old-timey cowboy town with metal instead of wood. The people drive tractors.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
LV-426 was a planetoid. The scene in Hadley's hope exuded tedium. From the office worker pissed that the kids were roaming over the halls to stuff being moved around you get the feeling that the outpost like you mentioned a humdrum old timey prospecting town but set in the far future. Even the discovery of the Alien Ship was treated as bureaucratic busywork concerning finder's rights. It evokes a feeling of this completely boring place in the frontiers of space that is there hoping to find something that makes the people there rich - like you mentioned - a western town but in the far future. Ultimately it doesn't matter for the story of Aliens so Hadley's Hope as a functioning shake and bake colony was left out of the Theatrical Version of the movie.

If Aliens left and impression on you and left you desiring for more bits of the movie you could buy the director's cut and be charmed or amused by Hadley's Hope. A frontier town/outpost in space that just happens to be sitting in spitting distance of the Space Jockey's craft with it's deadly cargo on board.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

So it’s like with the marines’ uniforms: tasked with imagining planetary exploration 200 years in the future, Cameron gives us an old-timey cowboy town with metal instead of wood. The people drive tractors.

This is a pretty apt summary of what growing up in a mining town is like though. Just an old time cowboy town but with asbestos instead of wood. And Commodores & Monaros.

Its as tedious as it sounds (which is why everyone is an alcoholic).

Now days they don't even build a town, they just have everyone living in pre-fab dongas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
LV-426 was a howling maelstrom when the Alien crew set foot on it. They needed space suits.
For the colonists to land and set up the terraformers, they would have needed robust shelter, and I would assume space would be at a premium.
And you would needed vehicles like what Newt's family drives to get around, self contained shelters.

In Aliens the air is now breathable, water seems to be more abundant, but still has mad storms but not as bad as before.
You can see normal Catapillar cranes in use, these would only have been brought out recently to expand the base.