Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

In terms of things that are the dumbest keyboard gimmicks that have been picked up and raved over I have to personally give the award to switch films. Perfect intersection of extremely tedious to install, while also being impossible to pick up on in a blind test.
To be fair to silencing clips, if they were cost-competitive and highly available like orings they'd be a good product. Especially if people care about bottom out feel/key acoustics a lot. They're nowhere near filming/lubing switches on the tedium scale. They just take an L because they're competing with $2 for 100 1/16" 50a orings that do the exact same thing for me personally. I ended up selling the silencing clips I bought.

As far as filming/lubing goes, I guess after using bobas I get it. I know they aren't filmed, but those switches are super nice from the factory and replicate what people were trying to achieve by filming/lubing other switches. By far the quietest silenced switch I've ever used, even on key up, and they're very consistent from switch to switch.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
lubing a switch will without a doubt make it better, but filming is probably not needed for new mold enthusiast things. Older switches and less expensive ones with looser tolerances, maybe, but I doubt you can notice unless it's really bad.

I have some older zealios with visible play in the housings that do have an audible difference in use. A bunch of the clips broke off them too when removing. Because they are bad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Films are definitely noticeable depending on how much wobble your switches have natively. I liked installing them, but anything I do with this hobby is more or less a zen exercise to relax while focusing on nothing consequential.

repiv posted:

bless gazzew for figuring out how to make good switches that don't need lubing or filming or anything

:same: I picked up some U4s and immediately noticed there was no need to do anything. However, I ended up not liking how they feel since there's no give compared to the cherry clears, but they're excellent for navigation and other side keys. I've heard that they're a lot nicer if the plate/mount they're on has a lot more bounce? Might get a future board that has more of a bounce.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

repiv posted:

bless gazzew for figuring out how to make good switches that don't need lubing or filming or anything

Seriously. Boba u4t’s are real endgame switches. Now it just depends in what board you put them in…

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I think the blue jay switches have overtaken U4Ts as my favorites. I love the long pole POM stems on a tactile bump that's very similar to U4T's.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

i tried to fix a broken blackwidow TKL i had that razer wanted me to cut the cord on to get a replacement.
previously there was key chatter on N and S but otherwise worked fine
I replaced all the switches with Gateron yellows since they were cheap lubed them up, modded the stabilizers and soldered the cable back together
tested it out and it worked perfectly, sounded great, however the V key didnt workr
desoldered it and tested and noticed the fuckin pad lifted on the solder point
rip dead keyboard died again :(

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Kullik posted:

razer wanted me to cut the cord on to get a replacement

What a shameless, e-wasteful crock of poo poo. Razer reported a 33.3% year-over-year growth in 2021. They can absolutely afford to do what everyone else does and pay for your shipping of the dead item back to their warehouse, confirm the issue on site, then send out your replacement while they refurbish the busted one for resale.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Unsinkabear posted:

What a shameless, e-wasteful crock of poo poo. Razer reported a 33.3% year-over-year growth in 2021. They can absolutely afford to do what everyone else does and pay for your shipping of the dead item back to their warehouse, confirm the issue on site, then send out your replacement while they refurbish the busted one for resale.

Yeah thats why i wanted to fix it so i could give it to a friend or something.
Whats worse is the replacement they sent me also has the exact same key chatter issue on R :/
Definitely not going with another razer product

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

follow the trace to the next pad and bridge it ezpz

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Nondescript Van posted:

follow the trace to the next pad and bridge it ezpz

yeah i had a go at that but its harder than you might think due to the matt black PCB and i think one of the traces is on the top of the board so ill have to remove all the switches again and i cba right now thats a job for tomorrow.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

if you have multimeter you could check connection points to diodes and adjacent switches. you could even start manually bridging rows and columns until you find the "v" to see where to wire it up.

I've done it before and yeah it sucks but better than a broken board

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I accidentally bought a set of just keycaps. i have no idea how I didn't see that it wasn't a full keyboard but that's what I get for browsing massdrop on ambien. do places sell just a keyboard frame with switches? I think I want cherry clears. I want a nice thick press but I don't want the spring back to feel like it's trying too hard.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I accidentally bought a set of just keycaps. i have no idea how I didn't see that it wasn't a full keyboard but that's what I get for browsing massdrop on ambien. do places sell just a keyboard frame with switches? I think I want cherry clears. I want a nice thick press but I don't want the spring back to feel like it's trying too hard.

You can get what's called a barebones kit, which is a hotswap board that has everything but switches and keycaps ready to go, then just buy your cherry clears separately and drop those in along with your fancy new accidental keycaps. This will give you a lot more board options than trying to find something you like that already has Clears but comes with cheap/no keycaps.

I just got a barebones kit off of Amazon called the NJ80 and I love it. Lots of customization options, everything just works stock, it sounds good, the software isn't garbage, and the RGB quality is unusually high. Idk how they're making money. May or may not be a fit for you depending on your preferences.

What are you looking for?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Now I'm going into the office a lil more - and would like something I can use between my PC and my iPad - I'm looking at the Keychron K7. Anyone got any experience with it? Those mint/banana switches seem fun. What's it like sizewise compared to your average Akko/Ducky 65%?

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I ran a few wires and got the razer board working, thanks for the idea!
Sounds pretty nice, a lot quieter and less annoying sounding than it was with the razer clicky switches.
Gonna keep this and give the replacement one away :P

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Glad it worked out!

New Knob Day (a day I just made up but it's gonna be big)

I'm sticking with #2 for now as it's got more of an oil slick vibe

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I got my Iqunix OG80 Wormhole (TTC Gold Pink switches with cherry stabs). First impressions:

Holy gently caress this thing weights a lot. I'm coming from a Razer Huntsman TKL and compared to it this thing feels like it could kill someone. Also it's way more "thonky" than my Huntsman, but considering I never really cared about switch "audibility" it's not a big deal to me. It's just a way different sound than I'm used to. So far I'm really into it, can't wait to use to game with.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
JWICK nylons are way better than they have any right to be for a stick switch. Holy poo poo.

I lubed and filmed them anyways and they're just fantastic.
Cherry Blacks are dead to me.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I ordered a Moonlander MK 1 today. Whenever it arrives I'm thinking of replacing the switches with some Gateron Pro Yellow Milky because they sound amazing. I ordered the Moonlander with the Kailh Box White switches.

If they sound as good as the ones in this video they would be amazing. I'm pretty sure they would fit, although I don't think they are RGB which is an issue for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmwbjoZuGS0

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

If they sound as good as the ones in this video they would be amazing. I'm pretty sure they would fit, although I don't think they are RGB which is an issue for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmwbjoZuGS0

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they won't. Don't get me wrong, they'll sound pretty nice, but the moonlander does not have materials and shape to have sound like a standard board. You can get it to sound pretty good, (there a videos out there of sound tests with it) but it'll be higher pitched and less resonant than what you see here. I recommend putting foam in your case and potentially getting orings for your keycaps. But orings are very divisive so ymmv

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Taffer posted:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they won't. Don't get me wrong, they'll sound pretty nice, but the moonlander does not have materials and shape to have sound like a standard board. You can get it to sound pretty good, (there a videos out there of sound tests with it) but it'll be higher pitched and less resonant than what you see here. I recommend putting foam in your case and potentially getting orings for your keycaps. But orings are very divisive so ymmv

Ah, that's too bad, but maybe it will still sound good enough. I'll have to wait and see I guess.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

Ah, that's too bad, but maybe it will still sound good enough. I'll have to wait and see I guess.

This is about what you can expect with a little modification and decent switches. For context, I put foam in my case, have lubed and filmed gateron reds and orings and this is very close to what mine sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK0NzxkMd1Q&t=258s

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Taffer posted:

This is about what you can expect with a little modification and decent switches. For context, I put foam in my case, have lubed and filmed gateron reds and orings and this is very close to what mine sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK0NzxkMd1Q&t=258s

That sounds pretty drat nice.

Apparently adding foam voids the warranty, so maybe I’ll wait two years before doing it. I suppose it would be easy to remove in any case.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

What the hell, I'm pricing out a split KBO-5000, the Mill-Max 3305's hotswap connectors will cost more than everything else. Around $90 CAD.
The Sinc with hotswap is in development, but not the KBO-5000.

I'm new to the game and haven't found my preferred switch yet. Just suck it up and buy them?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

PeePot posted:

What the hell, I'm pricing out a split KBO-5000, the Mill-Max 3305's hotswap connectors will cost more than everything else. Around $90 CAD.

I'm new to the game and haven't found my preferred switch yet. Just suck it up and buy them?

I'd start with a keyboard tester like this:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6860

You might not find your favorite switch with a small tester like this but you'll probably be able to narrow down if you want clicky, tactile, or linear.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ijyt posted:

Has anyone heard from Exit Strategy btw? They've not posted since March :ohdear:

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I haven't heard anything, and I've been watching this thread closely for any updates. I PM'd them back on 3/19 about shipping stuff, but never heard back. Hope they're okay.

Does anyone know if he's alive? :(

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does anyone know if he's alive? :(

I've got a name and address for Exit Strategy from having the Bobas shipped directly to him. I did some OSINT review last week based on that info, and didn't see any news articles/obituaries. I am legit worried at this point.

Someone mentioned having seen him on Discord a couple months back. I'm not sure which server(s) that'd be, but if there's some communication/activity there I'd like to know.

Beyond that, I'm not sure if Internet Explorer or Movax have any thoughts/guidance. I've got a name, physical address, and email address, but I don't want to share that willy-nilly.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

I'd start with a keyboard tester like this:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6860

You might not find your favorite switch with a small tester like this but you'll probably be able to narrow down if you want clicky, tactile, or linear.

Ya I've got a 21 switch tester. I was more asking if I should suck it up and spend $90 on the hotswap connectors for a $50 board. :P

Maybe I should be asking if anyone has and likes the KBO-5000. I don't think i could handle something like the ErgoDox, and relearning 20 years of muscle memory for Illustrator shortcuts.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

PeePot posted:

Yeah, that's the issue with the sockets. You can definitely save more on a PCB that's already hotswappable if it exists.

Buying more quantities from DigiKey and Mouser can make it slightly cheaper if you want to share the cost with people or for other future keyboards. I usually split up a big order with friends but we all kinda fell off building new boards for now.

I'd recommend only getting them for a keyboard that you know you'll be using a lot. i.e. you like the case, form factor, sound, can the PCB go in other cases, etc. Also consider how many times you'd actually swap switches. Earlier into my foray into the hobby, I was trying almost every switch out there as they came out so it was a legit use case for me. But now I mostly just put on some Boba's and haven't had the need to swap in a while.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

PeePot posted:

I bought the 72 key switch tester set from drop.com. Cheaper than buying a bunch of sets to find what kind of switch you like.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

PeePot posted:

Ya I've got a 21 switch tester. I was more asking if I should suck it up and spend $90 on the hotswap connectors for a $50 board. :P

That's all on you. I thought I'd want to change my switches more often but I've only done it once. That said, I like to have the option to change if need be.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

I've got a name and address for Exit Strategy from having the Bobas shipped directly to him. I did some OSINT review last week based on that info, and didn't see any news articles/obituaries. I am legit worried at this point.

Someone mentioned having seen him on Discord a couple months back. I'm not sure which server(s) that'd be, but if there's some communication/activity there I'd like to know.

Beyond that, I'm not sure if Internet Explorer or Movax have any thoughts/guidance. I've got a name, physical address, and email address, but I don't want to share that willy-nilly.

Still showing up now and then on discord, currently he’s online on mobile.

E: active on a server yesterday

Opioid fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 11, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

If they're still posting about their Hard Light project elsewhere, but stopped posting here and multiple Sweet Business folks have reached out without any reply, that... doesn't look great? Trying not to jump to any conclusions, but it's getting harder :ohdear:

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm going to skip the hotswap connectors, and test out some more switches on an actual board instead of just on the tester.

So I just put all the tactiles from my Switch tester into my most used keys on my NovelKeys board, replacing the linear Gateron Yellow Pros. That'll narrow down if I want to switch to tactile, then I'll narrow down to a more specific switch/brand and grab a handful to test, before committing to soldering in 92 of them.

I have a plan now! :woop:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Anyone have any experience with Tealios? I bought a switch tester and kind of fell in love with the smoothness of them compared to anything else, but that price point, eesh

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I bet I have the same name and address you do and I live about three and a half hours away from it. If he's abandoned SA but is still posting other places that's pretty bad; if something happened and the Sweet Business was unsalvageable I'd be disappointed but I'd understand. Amateur manufacturers wipe out all the time and it comes with the territory.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 12, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Sinc kit just came in. As much as I'd love to hotswap this fella I'm not sure I give a poo poo about switches enough to, so solderino it is

kinda excited to see if I can get up to speed with this split over the Sofle, because ortho just made it too drat annoying

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Midjack posted:

I bet I have the same name and address you do and I live about three and a half hours away from it. If he's abandoned SA but is still posting other places that's pretty bad; if something happened and the Sweet Business was unsalvageable I'd be disappointed but I'd understand. Amateur manufacturers wipe out all the time and it comes with the territory.

He had photos of a finished board. I wonder if just doing all of them and the shipping burned him out. Hoping he comes back to it eventually but after being in this hobby for a while its definitely not my first time being burned or a KB taking longer than expected

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Opioid posted:

He had photos of a finished board. I wonder if just doing all of them and the shipping burned him out. Hoping he comes back to it eventually but after being in this hobby for a while its definitely not my first time being burned or a KB taking longer than expected

That's cool and all but not at the expense of ~$200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hey all. I am just now waking up and seeing this. Hitting the ground running in the real world, so please give me a bit to catch up. Were these transactions had through S-Mart, or just through this thread/Discord?

Yes, please do not share any sort of information or do anything that could be considered doxxing. We'll be in touch.