Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
yeah I hate kids just as much as any other man child but idk about dropping my impressive cv bullets about doing sick owns on something awful dot com in the climate change thread

the world is ending lol but I sure owned the mil guys and parents over at something awful lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

T-Paine posted:

Talking to otherwise clued-in child havers reminds me of when I used to harangue milgoons on this forum. Deep down they know how evil and wrong they are, and they respond by trying to clumsily laugh along with you (har har I sure am a babykiller! LOL) or completely denying and compartmentalizing that aspect of their existence, as if the decision to reproduce came from someone they no longer are and can't do anything about. Real psychology 101 type poo poo

Hm well I do hate the troops, maybe you have a point

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo
if your level of ability to affect the outcome is irrelevant, isnt having kids also irrelevant?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Mayday Cat posted:

if your level of ability to affect the outcome is irrelevant, isnt having kids also irrelevant?

arithmetically no but also that’s where people who haven’t gotten over being the smartest kid in 8th grade think they’re owning people on the internet because they never acknowledged the scale of everything

it’s irrelevant mostly because having kids nowadays is mostly a huge self own for the sake of doing vanity projects, but to each their own. everyone should just lol lmao and post through it anyway

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My kid is the lmao to my lol

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

birds aren't real was stated too close to the lathe

bladerunner synth owls will be neat though

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Mayday Cat posted:

It's not irrelevant to condemn a new human life to the absolute misery they will experience that has been clear is coming for a minimum of the last 20 years. It's loving cruel and selfish.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

having kids almost* everywhere is irrelevant

*except first-world single-family-detached two-car households and above

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
having children adds the greatest amount of net suffering to the world possible
who wouldn't want to be part of that?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Justin Credible posted:

It's not irrelevant to condemn a new human life to the absolute misery they will experience that has been clear is coming for a minimum of the last 20 years. It's loving cruel and selfish.

No, it's le reddit epic goon Cheeto dust basement dweller soyboy fuckwittery according to boring shitposters so we should drop it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol real /r/childfree energy in this thread today

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
It's just so loving boring, who gives a poo poo. Maybe there is a more appropriate place to debate and discuss this?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm from Buenos Aires and I say Birth 'em All

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

kyojin posted:

This thread is the cause of and solution to all the problems in the other threads

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

IAMKOREA posted:

It's just so loving boring, who gives a poo poo. Maybe there is a more appropriate place to debate and discuss this?

This would actually be the most appropriate thread to discuss not having children.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

IAMKOREA posted:

I don't see what's wrong with discussing the one major impact the average person can have on the climate, and all the folks sauntering in here to try and ridicule and downplay the discussion are telling on themselves a little

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kyojin posted:

If you are a child haver who regularly reads this thread then your amygdala is either made of steel or made of soup and either way goddamn I salute you

having a kid is a pretty solid distraction from worrying about poo poo other than the kid.

lol at these fools who didnt have one soon enough that they could be any help in the coming breadline riots tho. i got mine in jujitsu so they can subdue anyone with food for me to finish off with a big stick or whatever i use to brain food havers when the time comes

the natural history museum made explaining the world super easy. they see the dinosaurs and you say they are extinct. soon we will be to. we all look like we're smiling when the flesh is gone.

then you get icecream and plastic baubles and go home

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

This would actually be the most appropriate thread to discuss not having children.

It's just the same thing everytime but if you're having fun go for it I guess

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

It's just the same thing everytime but if you're having fun go for it I guess

whose fault do you think that is

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

r/childfree and goon climate thread recurring debates are just the early warning. just like all our other hyper-idiotic discourse lowering cultural regressions we tend to merely be a few years ahead of things going mainstream/widespread on facebook and network news. not that those even mean as much as tiktok anymore.

every dumb debate you saw in a climage change thread here for the last three years is going mainstream in the next three. you will be forced to listen to a thousand media creatures doing their best owlofcreamcheese for a decade (while nothing happens ofc)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MightyBigMinus posted:

r/childfree and goon climate thread recurring debates are just the early warning. just like all our other hyper-idiotic discourse lowering cultural regressions we tend to merely be a few years ahead of things going mainstream/widespread on facebook and network news. not that those even mean as much as tiktok anymore.

every dumb debate you saw in a climage change thread here for the last three years is going mainstream in the next three. you will be forced to listen to a thousand media creatures doing their best owlofcreamcheese for a decade (while nothing happens ofc)

going out with my probation stick to give the media creatures their 11 years, no reregs

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i think kids born today are probably in for an okay enough life. unless they also want kids.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say Birth 'em All

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
You shouldn't have kids because the entire planet is a nightmarish toxic blend of plastic and carbon dioxide and pm2.5 and sulfur and pfas and lead and radioactive fracking goop and gently caress knows what else and there is nothing you or anyone else can do to solve it and everyone is getting poisoned whether they like it or not

You shouldn't worry about other people's decision to have children because the entire planet is a nightmarish toxic blend of plastic and carbon dioxide and pm2.5 and sulfur and pfas and lead and radioactive fracking goop and gently caress knows what else and there is nothing you or anyone else can do to solve it and everyone is getting poisoned whether they like it or not

Just relax, lean back and die. Alone, together, who gives a gently caress. No need to quarrel

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
The whole kids thing is just the last element of collapse that gives me any feeling of control to can cling to, it feels kind of good in that way. I think that's the appeal.

No I can't personally do anything about [scroll thread and pick your fave crack pinger] but I can choose not to have a kid. Wow! I'm Doing My Part!

Maybe one day I'll do the foster to adopt thing though :unsmith:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

kyojin posted:

No. need to quarrel!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
hey guys let's not worry about having children because honestly we're still acting like them right now

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

MightyBigMinus posted:

I’m waiting for the rimes to show up saying we need to nuke India/China/Africa for a chance to save the (white) world

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

having a kid is a pretty solid distraction from worrying about poo poo other than the kid.

lol at these fools who didnt have one soon enough that they could be any help in the coming breadline riots tho. i got mine in jujitsu so they can subdue anyone with food for me to finish off with a big stick or whatever i use to brain food havers when the time comes

the natural history museum made explaining the world super easy. they see the dinosaurs and you say they are extinct. soon we will be to. we all look like we're smiling when the flesh is gone.

then you get icecream and plastic baubles and go home

Pro move is to foster a bunch of older children who will be more useful and capable of violence

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

have kids or don't but I think it's hilarious how "isolated individual actions matter! don't be a doomer, c'mon!!" people suddenly think individual action doesn't matter when it comes to avoiding the largest individual contribution to climate change (having a kid in a capitalist core) because of course it doesn't matter lol

Mameluke posted:

Pro move is to foster a bunch of older children who will be more useful and capable of violence

hehe

but also it's funny how the same individual action people refuse to foster, as if even their one chance to prove isolated individual action matters is also hollow words, they want a kid of their OWN genes god dammit

it's almost like a certain kind of person insists that nothing needs to change despite the suffering they observe, but they insist their inaction or direct contribution to the problem is actually here to help the problem, like some kind of... liberating ignorance... ah well

welp back to my life as an agent of capital, destroying the last shreds of society so that I can live comfortably whilst shitposting in humanity's twilight

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

RE: kid having.

as the bread and circuses get wound down, the two things that will (should, looking at history) increase is loving and drugs. this may be balanced out by an increased childhood mortality as the healthcare apparatus is wound down.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
no one deserves to be born but as a first worlder having kids is the best thing you can do to ensure a lasting solution to this problem so please do your part tia

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Hey guys goon project, let's make whiny bad posts admonishing people for talking about doing the one thing individuals can do that's easy, free, and has an outsized impact on your carbon footprint. Doing nothing to ease your contribution to the apocalypse is cringe reddit poo poo
(Y axis is metric tons of CO2 saved)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

T-Paine posted:

Hey guys goon project, let's make whiny bad posts admonishing people for talking about doing the one thing individuals can do that's easy, free, and has an outsized impact on your carbon footprint. Doing nothing to ease your contribution to the apocalypse is cringe reddit poo poo

Hey guys, check out what this carbon footprint calculator provided courtesy of British Petroleum says

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mediaphage posted:

lol real /r/childfree energy in this thread today

r/childfree seems to be mostly about hating children. I love children, I love my niece dearly. I would love to have children of my own, and when my wife and I are ready we'll foster.
But I can read the writing on the wall and I don't wanna sign some new life up for what's coming.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Hey guys, check out what this carbon footprint calculator provided courtesy of British Petroleum says

?

Sorry there's not "kill an oil company CEO" on the axis because it would be off the charts

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You are not responsible for any part of your carbon footprint including the part that is your children's footprint because you are not responsible for the structure of society today. It's a bad argument against having children because it buys into their framing.

The unimaginable suffering on the other hand...

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

T-Paine posted:

not having kids is the biggest difference an individual can make, but it's still tiny relative to what needs to happen and either way it's a bit unhinged to start screaming about it.

the second biggest difference an individual can make is to kill themselves so I'm real excited for that meltdown once it becomes clear that just being childless isn't good enough

Harold Fjord posted:

You are not responsible for any part of your carbon footprint including the part that is your children's footprint because you are not responsible for the structure of society today. It's a bad argument against having children because it buys into their framing.
yea, "not having kids" is really just the only way we have of opting somebody out of capitalism. it always ends up coming back to that somehow, weird

TACD has issued a correction as of 17:47 on May 6, 2022

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm going to pee in your eye but it's not my fault it's because of society, bucko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

TACD posted:

not having kids is the biggest difference an individual can make, but it's still tiny relative to what needs to happen and either way it's a bit unhinged to start screaming about it.

the second biggest difference an individual can make is to kill themselves so I'm real excited for that meltdown once it becomes clear that just being childless isn't good enough
All true, not seeing why it's "unhinged" though. It's easy and anyone can (not) do it, unlike giving up driving or eating meat, which you'll hear plenty of people admonish you for still doing