Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm playing Endwalker.
I think this game might be a Goaty contender :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If only we'd been told last year...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Walker of ends

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I have not. Tetra Master confuses me too much. Though I am the Flan Man with the five Flan Cards ;D
It feels like there is almost a great game there though - like with a few tweaks it could be an evolution of Triple Triad and the best card game ever.

Tetra Master isn’t working properly unless it’s confusing, this is not a joke.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

Finished up my first playthrough of Triangle Strategy. So happy this game exists. I'm still kind of shocked that a new game in the vein of Tactics Ogre was made at all.

Time to do multiple NG+ cycles to see the other endings, except Roland's ending, don't particularly want to follow that path even for completionism purposes.

I'm so glad it's doing well, i hope it gets a follow-up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I'm playing Endwalker.
I think this game might be a Goaty contender :thunk:

I am playing Endwalker as well, it is very good!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I've been playing a bunch of modern board games recently with some friends who are really into them, and I have fun hanging out with them, but it feels like the design framework for so many of them is just, 'accumulate tokens to buy icons to acquire points to achieve a score in three discrete areas then add them up to determine the winner,' with various different themes and narratives surrounding it. It's all just... basic maths??? For fun????? What am I missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvyhkF8Xr4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

XCOM the board game owns, the game audits you every turn and if you weren't paying attention and hosed up then a country drops from the project and you're screwed. If your satellites start to go down, the tablet screen starts to fill with static and start skipping and while you can still make out what's going on kind of, it's much harder, leading to the doom spiral and also four of you arguing about what you say. It also can't pause for more than a couple seconds during certain phases to make it more tense. Also a single failed dice roll squadwipes the XCOM squad. There's an EXALT expansion I haven't gotten to try yet, I want to.

Bloodborne's card game was ok, Dark Souls' board game was kind of just tedious and annoying, Gears of War's was actually pretty fun (its gimmick is that every enemy has an "AI"). Civilization the board game was cool but also funny in that we deadlocked in the Middle East over oil and accurately replicated modern global politics. Oops!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The opening CGI movie to Endwalker is so god drat good. Now I'm thinking about somewhat recent games with good CGI intros.
FF7 remake had a pretty good one, and DQ11 was all-right.

I guess most games stopped doing them, and for good reason, but are there any other good ones I'm forgetting?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I'm playing Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion (Tabletop) ahead of the release of Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion (Steam PC).

I like the part where you hit stuff. I don't like the part where you get hit. Pretty bullshit if you ask me.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/PatinkinMandy/status/1512471452783718401

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

I'm so glad it's doing well, i hope it gets a follow-up

I would much rather see another one of these than another Octopath. I liked Octopath fine, but I'm loving Triangle Strategy.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Board games more like bored games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

I would much rather see another one of these than another Octopath. I liked Octopath fine, but I'm loving Triangle Strategy.

Trapezoid Siege
Rhombus Wars
Gömböc Guerrillas

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Trapezoid Siege
Rhombus Wars
Gömböc Guerrillas

Would 100% preorder Rhombus Wars

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the Japanese board game scene like?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/1522553233595854849?s=20&t=ObJcZkt9zjZglIaeZO0sDA

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/1522561700884811776?s=20&t=ObJcZkt9zjZglIaeZO0sDA

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
When I’m trying to end a friendship with someone I suggest we play monopoly together so just a heads up to y’all. This tactic doesn’t work with family though unfortunately

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Excited to play FF16 when it releases on a console Sony bothers to stock in Japan.

So the switch, I guess

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The NFT market is starting to collapse so maybe semiconductors will be more readily available.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

pictures are final fantasy 7
words are final fantasy 8
math is final fantasy 9

No, math is final fantasy tactics

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

The NFT market is starting to collapse so maybe semiconductors will be more readily available.

I sadly only think it works to sink SE if they really plan to blow their cash infusion on NFTs

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FirstAidKite posted:

No math is final, fantasy tactics

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Final Fantasy Tactics greatest contribution to math is of course Mathbot, the bot which asks 24 people very simple math questions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

today's math games are way too derivative

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Hwurmp posted:

today's math games are way too derivative

idk, I think that math is pretty integral to the gameplay.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Board game chat ey

I like board games, my current faves are Star Realms, Carcassone and Dixit, and they all live in my car so they can be taken out and played at a moment's notice. I just bought all the expansions to Dixit and they've all arrived but one and I am not sure of the best way to make them fit in the boxes I want them in. Also none of them really do that whole 'accumulate resources and figure out how to get points' thing that was being described.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
The best way to play board games is to have a friend who is extremely into them so you don't have to worry about the massive amount of space and material that they require

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The best way to play board games is to have a friend who is extremely into them so you don't have to worry about the massive amount of space and material that they require

Especially if they're the kind of guy who will start doing your turn for you to keep the game moving so you can just check out and let them multibox it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Or buy Tabletop Simulator, complete with virtual 'flip the loving table' button.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Board games always give me a weird combo of guilt and resentment

I want to be a good friend and share someone's excitement in the new fancy boardgame they just bought, and I'd hate to be a curmudgeon so of course I'm "down to try it out." but the whole time I'm lowkey offended when all I wanted to do was chill and vibe and now I've been tasked with homework. I'm very dumb/ADHD and mannnn the crack ping as someone is trying to explain how X cardboard token goes to Y card as opposed to Z token is really something else.

I can see why game nights at shops are a big deal. Everyone knows what they're in for and down for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Munchkin is a great game that none of my friends want to play because I'm the only one who really gets into the backstabbing and dicking over aspects of it

It's also why we only play Civ in one team against the ui; they want to build empires, I want to build three archers and a swordsman and take them. They also don't like barbarians because they're "too strong" for their one military unit. My runaway military budget meanwhile keeps the ai forces at bay.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I had it, it was really bad and I dunno that we ever played it right because it was dumb and also there were too many pieces.

No one ever played it "right" according to the rules on the box, you just build the machine and screw around with it

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Board games always give me a weird combo of guilt and resentment

I want to be a good friend and share someone's excitement in the new fancy boardgame they just bought, and I'd hate to be a curmudgeon so of course I'm "down to try it out." but the whole time I'm lowkey offended when all I wanted to do was chill and vibe and now I've been tasked with homework. I'm very dumb/ADHD and mannnn the crack ping as someone is trying to explain how X cardboard token goes to Y card as opposed to Z token is really something else.

I can see why game nights at shops are a big deal. Everyone knows what they're in for and down for it.

Some are easier. For example, Dixit, which is just 'pick a picture and think of a word or phrase that hints at it.'

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The issue is "board game guy" isn't excited about pictonary, he's excited about the box of plastic and cardboard he finally has in his hands that he paid $150 for on Kickstarter 2 years ago.

Then you compound the issue with the kind of person who does classical chess openings and castles against a 6 year old rather than playing down to their level to make the game more interesting to the kid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SeXReX posted:

The issue is "board game guy" isn't excited about pictonary, he's excited about the box of plastic and cardboard he finally has in his hands that he paid $150 for on Kickstarter 2 years ago.

Then you compound the issue with the kind of person who does classical chess openings and castles against a 6 year old rather than playing down to their level to make the game more interesting to the kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7BVtGnlxT8

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

RBA Starblade posted:

Munchkin is a great game that none of my friends want to play because I'm the only one who really gets into the backstabbing and dicking over aspects of it

It's also why we only play Civ in one team against the ui; they want to build empires, I want to build three archers and a swordsman and take them. They also don't like barbarians because they're "too strong" for their one military unit. My runaway military budget meanwhile keeps the ai forces at bay.

We got Munchkin as a gift recently but have yet to play it. Glad to see it mentioned.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

We got Munchkin as a gift recently but have yet to play it. Glad to see it mentioned.

The important thing is to rules lawyer as loudly as you can

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
For whatever reason the people who are most into board games (and therefore the most likely to be the board game owner) are somehow always the worst at actually explaining the board game.

Can we just read the rulebook?
Oh no my explanation is easier oh poo poo wait I forgot to explain something okay wait backup oh did I not tell you this part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

RBA Starblade posted:

The important thing is to rules lawyer as loudly as you can

Ah, my speciality. You can interpret things any way you want if you’re loud enough