Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When it comes to royalty and malnutrition, check out the Japanese royal family in the late 19th century. Most of them died young of beriberi, because their primary diet was highly-polished white rice. Excellent article here on the effect of beriberi on the Japanese military. Warning: medical experimentation on prisoners of war.

I read a bunch of Japanese novels taking place in the early 20th century over the pandemic and beriberi came up in every single one of them. It was apparently very common, I had never even heard of it (at least, not by that name)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I thought Hawaiian royalty was the most incest.

also the greatest advancements to human life spans was soap, hebar process, and industrial chem that helps with clean water, also sewers that make bad parasite poop go far away. turns out that once we get clean water and a ton of food we can live longer.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
The biggest factor in population "boom" is food availability, basically there's usually not more births just more people at all levels not starving to death when things get bad. Nothing we've ever done with medicine or technology can touch innovations like agriculture and animal husbandry did, then advancements like higher yield and faster harvest crops made even the diseases from animals we got negligible.

Also ppl were very aware about the risks of incest, that's why they were constantly making rules against it. It's just that the threat of losing your dynasty concerned them more. Usually marriages could bring you power, so you don't usually *plan* to go the incest only route until there's some already existing issues with your control.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Let me introduce you to Charles II of Spain, 6 November 1661 – 1 November 1700.

Inbreeding coefficient of .25, roughly equivalent to the child of a sibling marriage. His mother and father were niece and uncle.

When it comes to royalty and malnutrition, check out the Japanese royal family in the late 19th century. Most of them died young of beriberi, because their primary diet was highly-polished white rice. Excellent article here on the effect of beriberi on the Japanese military. Warning: medical experimentation on prisoners of war.

Iirc he had a sister who was described as being not as horrendous a genetic mistake.

I saw a portrait of her. You could tell she was his... Sister? Can you even call them siblings with a shared genetic pool greater than 50%?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Let me introduce you to Charles II of Spain, 6 November 1661 – 1 November 1700.

Inbreeding coefficient of .25, roughly equivalent to the child of a sibling marriage. His mother and father were niece and uncle.

Oh yeah I know about this guy. His family is more of a wreath than a tree

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bismuth posted:

Oh yeah I know about this guy. His family is more of a wreath than a tree

Also some hereditary syphillis!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Bear in mind that this isn't a photograph, it's a royal portrait so the artist took many liberties to be as flattering as possible.

The period equivalent of an Instagram filter.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

motherfucker was a homunculus

those crazy bastards actually did it

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Samovar posted:

Can you even call them siblings with a shared genetic pool greater than 50%?

It's possible for siblings to have a 100% shared genetic pool.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Amoeba102 posted:

It's possible for siblings to have a 100% shared genetic pool.

Aw dang, you got me there.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

PhazonLink posted:

hebar process

Ironically this also helped turn warfare way deadlier and killed millions

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

christmas boots posted:

"whooo well i can give you the specifics but the short version is that it's pretty much just cholera all the way down except for a brief detour into syphillis. well no place to go but up, right? haha anyway be careful about what you drink"
"Can you do future lives? I'm sick of cholera."
"Oof, bad news"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's a European royal, they all do.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Keep in mind that even though pharaohs married their sisters in some periods, they had an enormous number of wives and being the sister’s kid wasn’t a big deal. The Ptolemies were exceptions. They wouldn’t typically be inbred nightmare dynasties.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fun fact, syphilis was originally known as 'French disease'

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though the Ptolomies did it for purely practical reasons. If you didn’t marry out then there was less claimants floating out there

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Arivia posted:

Link just seems to be timed out.
Ah! Probably it's a Google token. Google "japan beriberi" and somewhere on the page should be the academic paper "Rice, Beriberi, and Meiji Japan" by NC Mill. Click that and you should get your own token.

Mega Comrade posted:

Fun fact, syphilis was originally known as 'French disease'

Depends which was your native country!

https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/1522556509980405760

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Won’t someone please think of the men

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Got some banger replies, though:
https://twitter.com/donmoyn/status/1522576394391277568

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Obviously the mistake was taking the lead out of gasoline.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
How could you ignore the followup tweet
https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/1522556804252770304?s=20&t=Hi3ZGgnkcqLR13fafTDaSg

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

https://twitter.com/Aspire2Luminati/status/1522598492795027456

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
powerful self own energy there.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

"Worth noting that in the 50 yrs since Roe, I have become less likely to find a spouse, less likely father kids or live with the kids I father, and less likely to participate in the workforce."

This was the original intent, but he did some generalization.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

owned from beyond the grave

quote:

Historian John Langdon-Davies summarised his life as follows: "Of no man is it more true to say that in his beginning was his end; from the day of his birth, they were waiting for his death"

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

does Little Ben always have control of venues so they always light his face so he has the face/eyes in shadow trope thing?

He has to be lit a certain way to hide his yarmulke. Every time you see him, check out how well disguised it is. Every time you see a pic of Ben check out his hair and see how much work has gone into obfuscating it. It's like it's embarrassed and is trying to hide behind his head, except it's Ben that's embarrassed. And because he's not always lit right, Ben's hair has to be jet black to get that "black suit against a black background" effect.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This Ross guy is a fuckin idiot!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Syd Midnight posted:

He has to be lit a certain way to hide his yarmulke. Every time you see him, check out how well disguised it is. Every time you see a pic of Ben check out his hair and see how much work has gone into obfuscating it. It's like it's embarrassed and is trying to hide behind his head, except it's Ben that's embarrassed. And because he's not always lit right, Ben's hair has to be jet black to get that "black suit against a black background" effect.
If his supporters already know he's Orthodox Jewish then why hide it like that?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Panfilo posted:

He's a right-wing grifter. Everything he says appeals to people who would gladly murder his entire family, or see them murdered.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Depends which was your native country!
:lol: this map is hilarious. "We went to war with those motherfuckers over there and look what they gave us!"

Then you've got Scotland just like "Grandgore." :hmmyes:

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This Ross guy is a fuckin idiot!

more like a douchehat.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zero_Grade posted:

:lol: this map is hilarious. "We went to war with those motherfuckers over there and look what they gave us!"

Then you've got Scotland just like "Grandgore." :hmmyes:
Except for China, who's just owning it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/1522645561660387329
https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/1522603314327789568

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Knormal posted:

Except for China, who's just owning it.

Northerners blaming it on the barbaric south

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Syd Midnight posted:

Wait. Has he always worn a disguised yarmulke, because holy poo poo I'd literally never noticed that in all the clips I've seen over the years.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Panfilo posted:

His grift depends on being "one of the good ones" and people who think like that are liable to flip the gently caress out about religious dress.

I've worn the yarmulke before when I was younger and cared more and I know how much it means to some members of the community, so Ben's shame at who and what he is hits real nice for me.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

I'd literally never noticed that

*GIS's Ben Shapiro*

*Looks closely*

Holy poo poo. His disguise game is on point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Deptfordx posted:

Wait. Has he always worn a disguised yarmulke, because holy poo poo I'd literally never noticed that in all the clips I've seen over the years.

Yeah, he's been wearing a yarmulke in literally every video you've ever seen of him, and he works pretty drat hard to make sure you can't tell. It's super loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, he's been wearing a yarmulke in literally every video you've ever seen of him, and he works pretty drat hard to make sure you can't tell. It's super loving weird.

Maybe he's just using it to hide his bald spot so it's not weird that he's forever pretending to be the 20 year old college republican?