Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garashir fanfic
Oct 22, 2020

Title Text
Responding to the discussion from last week about logical operators returning values:

and and or returning values other than True or False is actually kind of common, they're just not commonly used that way

Here's Python:

quote:

The expression x and y first evaluates x; if x is false, its value is returned; otherwise, y is evaluated and the resulting value is returned.
The expression x or y first evaluates x; if x is true, its value is returned; otherwise, y is evaluated and the resulting value is returned.
https://docs.python.org/3/reference/expressions.html#boolean-operations

Racket:

quote:

If a single expr is provided, then it is in tail position, so the results of the and expression are the results of the expr.

Otherwise, the first expr is evaluated. If it produces #f, the result of the and expression is #f. Otherwise, the result is the same as an and expression with the remaining exprs in tail position with respect to the original and form.
https://docs.racket-lang.org/reference/if.html#%28form._%28%28lib._racket%2Fprivate%2Fletstx-scheme..rkt%29._and%29%29

Don't know any other languages yet but the three I've been exposed to (JS, Python, Racket) all have some version of this behavior. I didn't even notice it in Python until a worksheet problem from the CS material I'm teaching myself from brought up an example, and I had to double check it in the interpreter to be sure. If you just use and and or expressions in control flow statements and never look at the actual computed values of those expressions you'd never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Nearly all dynamically typed languages do that and no statically typed languages that I know of do it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Many statically typed languages only define && and || for boolean values, so technically they kinda do.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Today, in an interview:

"I don't know C#, but I know C and it's basically the same thing."

I normally don't push back when an interviewee says something egregiously stupid but I was sorely tempted.

The interview wasn't for a developer position, but he was lovely across the board.

I'm posting this here as advice: never say something like this ever

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

But they're basically the same thing

code:

10 PRINT "BUTTS"
20 GOTO 10

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
"Won't admit they don't know something" is a huge red flag. All the best programmers I've known are outspoken about how they don't know anything

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Today, in an interview:

"I don't know C#, but I know C and it's basically the same thing."

I normally don't push back when an interviewee says something egregiously stupid but I was sorely tempted.

The interview wasn't for a developer position, but he was lovely across the board.

I'm posting this here as advice: never say something like this ever

i'd probably accept that answer if they said java instead of c

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

b0lt posted:

i'd probably accept that answer if they said java instead of c

That's because that's not an entirely inaccurate statement. Certainly similar enough that I'd expect someone familiar with one language to be able to be productive in the other more or less immediately, albeit with a lot of Google for a few weeks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

What non-developer position is someone applying to that "knows C"?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

prom candy posted:

"Won't admit they don't know something" is a huge red flag. All the best programmers I've known are outspoken about how they don't know anything

Right, I explicitly try to find things to ask that I don't think someone can answer to try to see how they react. Someone making poo poo up or getting mad at me for asking me something they don't know is a one of the biggest red flag you can get.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What non-developer position is someone applying to that "knows C"?

my extremely charitable read would be a PM attempting to say "managing a project that includes C coders isn't all that different from one that includes C# coders"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
As long as you have a good supply of Metamucil for the former and avocado toast for the latter!!

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Lockback posted:

Right, I explicitly try to find things to ask that I don't think someone can answer to try to see how they react. Someone making poo poo up or getting mad at me for asking me something they don't know is a one of the biggest red flag you can get.

It's absolutely buck-wild to me that people try to make poo poo up.

My brother in Christ, I wrote the questions. I know the answers because I wrote the questions. You can't just make poo poo up hoping to trick me into thinking you know the answer because I know the answer and they don't match. And it's super easy to tell the difference between someone who is mistaken and someone who is making poo poo up, so no, we're not just gonna give you a pass under the impression that you just made an error. When I can see that someone might know something that I do not, it's easily verified by continuing down that train of conversation and discovering how much deeper their knowledge goes.

Similarly, it's why I always found it strange how writing the questions made me think about people who had imposter syndrome after being hired. "I just convinced you I was better than I actually am." Like, how does that work? Either you think I'm a dumbass(which is fair and reasonable), which means you're not, and so you shouldn't have imposter syndrome because the only answer there is that you're better than at least one of your high-responsibility peers. Or you think I just didn't know the answers to the questions I myself wrote, and thought "Ah yeah that answer sounds really good, I bet that's correct because they sounded smart when they said it."

I haven't had anyone get mad at me for asking a question they didn't know an answer to, but that sounds like it'd be really funny though.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Vincent Valentine posted:

It's absolutely buck-wild to me that people try to make poo poo up.

My brother in Christ, I wrote the questions. I know the answers because I wrote the questions. You can't just make poo poo up hoping to trick me into thinking you know the answer because I know the answer and they don't match. And it's super easy to tell the difference between someone who is mistaken and someone who is making poo poo up, so no, we're not just gonna give you a pass under the impression that you just made an error. When I can see that someone might know something that I do not, it's easily verified by continuing down that train of conversation and discovering how much deeper their knowledge goes.

Similarly, it's why I always found it strange how writing the questions made me think about people who had imposter syndrome after being hired. "I just convinced you I was better than I actually am." Like, how does that work? Either you think I'm a dumbass(which is fair and reasonable), which means you're not, and so you shouldn't have imposter syndrome because the only answer there is that you're better than at least one of your high-responsibility peers. Or you think I just didn't know the answers to the questions I myself wrote, and thought "Ah yeah that answer sounds really good, I bet that's correct because they sounded smart when they said it."

I haven't had anyone get mad at me for asking a question they didn't know an answer to, but that sounds like it'd be really funny though.

I have been to so many interviews where the interviewer clearly did not know the answer to the questions. You are making a hilariously fallacious argument here. Not even "I disagree with this opinion about how to do a thing"; just completely verifiably wrong.

When that happens I accept that I'm not going to work at this place and try to educate the poor soul who shouldn't be in the position they're in. Open up the language spec and explain in detail how the thing they said does not align. Or write a proof and walk them through the complexity analysis extremely slowly.

Favorite one of these was the dual interview with a CEO and CTO where the CTO didn't know extremely basic things about the language they were using (in that case, C++). The look on the CEO's face as I walked through how the CTO didn't know what he was talking about was priceless.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im doing a bootcamp right now and i'm finding it pretty doable so far, the learning material makes sense to me and while i'm no star coder or math genius or anything i feel like i have a basic grasp of how to do things in ruby/javascript/sql/regex now or can at least google my way out of problems. in the batch i'm usually one of the ones explaining stuff to other students rather than needing stuff explained to me, which i take as a good sign, but i have only a vague idea about how to enter the labor market afterwards. i come from academia and teaching where things are generally very different

what's a good first job i could realistically be aiming for after this? i find it hard to estimate what's realistic and what isn't for someone coming out of a bootcamp without a CS degree. is it even realistic to expect a job at all (the bootcamp claims it is but i have some doubts about this), or will it require a lot more portfolio building? maybe i should learn some react or something on top of the rails and ruby stuff that the bootcamp focuses on?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
If you're doing ruby & rails backend stuff I would probably go through the MDN tutorials for the python backends like flask & django. Then you'll be able to apply for junior python positions as well.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm an advocate for Ruby and all but I figured all the Rails work (which I'm not a fan of) dried up by now.

But yes it would be a good idea to go through the Python tutorials. For one, since Python isn't the first programming language you've learned it gives you an outside perspective from which to evaluate it.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Shibawanko posted:

im doing a bootcamp right now and i'm finding it pretty doable so far, the learning material makes sense to me and while i'm no star coder or math genius or anything i feel like i have a basic grasp of how to do things in ruby/javascript/sql/regex now or can at least google my way out of problems. in the batch i'm usually one of the ones explaining stuff to other students rather than needing stuff explained to me, which i take as a good sign, but i have only a vague idea about how to enter the labor market afterwards. i come from academia and teaching where things are generally very different

what's a good first job i could realistically be aiming for after this? i find it hard to estimate what's realistic and what isn't for someone coming out of a bootcamp without a CS degree. is it even realistic to expect a job at all (the bootcamp claims it is but i have some doubts about this), or will it require a lot more portfolio building? maybe i should learn some react or something on top of the rails and ruby stuff that the bootcamp focuses on?

Literally any job thatll have you do actual coding work. Look for associate/jr/dev I positions. Its not at all unrealistic to get a job depending on your interviewing soft skills, and how you frame your experience and what you want to do with your new career. Some places will want a portfolio, but other places just need bodies who can somewhat think.

I know several people, myself included, whove landed good to great gigs within 2 months of boot camp ending and we are in a mediocre tech region. once your foot is in the door, the sky is the limit. I got promoted to dev II after about 2 years of hands on experience and one job change, and I was more or less in your exact shoes.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
This might be the wrong thread for this, but I wasn't quite sure where else to ask this.

I'm an architect. I love construction and design, but have become a little disillusioned by career prospects, earning potential,lack of benefits, life/work balance expectations, etc. A friend recently made the transition to a product design role and I've been thinking about doing something similar. I think his path was a little more self driven, but when I asked him about it, he said that if he could go back in time, he would have done something like the Google UX certificate course on Coursera (https://www.coursera.org/professional-certificates/google-ux-design?action=enroll).

I have a B.Arch degree and 7 years of professional design experience, so I feel like I'm not totally starting from scratch. Picking up the software skills (Sketch/Figma/Adobe Xd) shouldn't be hard at all, as I have tons of experience in 2D and 3D CAD software and Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I would really just need to get a few actual UX design projects under my belt and get a portfolio going.

Basically, I just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts about this course, or had any other recommendations for making this transition.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

My SO is going through a career change to UX and the google certificate was a good introduction but I don't think she came out of it with anything great. She just now got accepted to a bootcamp, which I think the certificate definitely helped her pass the entrance assessment.

I can't really help since I only know the career change from a software perspective... like, practice really hard for the interview and have a strong portfolio of projects.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PolishPandaBear posted:

This might be the wrong thread for this, but I wasn't quite sure where else to ask this.

I'm an architect. I love construction and design, but have become a little disillusioned by career prospects, earning potential,lack of benefits, life/work balance expectations, etc. A friend recently made the transition to a product design role and I've been thinking about doing something similar. I think his path was a little more self driven, but when I asked him about it, he said that if he could go back in time, he would have done something like the Google UX certificate course on Coursera (https://www.coursera.org/professional-certificates/google-ux-design?action=enroll).

I have a B.Arch degree and 7 years of professional design experience, so I feel like I'm not totally starting from scratch. Picking up the software skills (Sketch/Figma/Adobe Xd) shouldn't be hard at all, as I have tons of experience in 2D and 3D CAD software and Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I would really just need to get a few actual UX design projects under my belt and get a portfolio going.

Basically, I just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts about this course, or had any other recommendations for making this transition.

UX is not as clear of a path as Front-End Javascript or Python dev or anything, but it's a good path and honestly you sound like you have a perfect background for it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I want to put a group project on my resume because I did a bunch of neat and database and back end stuff on it, but the rest of the group kind of completely poo poo the bed and the front end is a mess and a half. I'm redoing it with a buddy for portfolio fluff, but in the meantime what's a good way to put it on my resume but note that I had nothing to do with the fact that it looks like poo poo and more than one page doesn't work?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Finish the project and fix the bullshit? :shrug:

Then you can talk about the tradeoffs you guys did to finish the project on time for the grade, and all the things you had to do to unwind bad design decisions to fix :airquote: technical debt

Congratulations once you've done that, you're a real developer, fixing other people's hacky horrible mistakes done to hit a firm ship it now deadline (pro tip, google "ship it gif")

If I have the opportunity to hire the guy who fixed a failed barely passed school project, and someone who shipped a lovely project and never touched it again and learned from their mistakes, unless you smell really bad, I'm hiring the guy who fixed the project, because they know 200% more than the other guy and will probably make better decisions

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Honestly we went into the final presentation assuming we were going to have to ask for an extension, but apparently we'd technically implemented x number of features the ta passed it. I'm about halfway through remaking it, but I don't want to not list my best example of doing weird sql joins in spring, and I had to drop it for a month or so due to a lot of life happening

asur
Dec 28, 2012
State that it's a group project, what you were responsible for and either only link to the source code or don't link to it at all. After you fix it, you can change the description of what you did and link to it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Got it, thanks!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

asur posted:

State that it's a group project, what you were responsible for and either only link to the source code or don't link to it at all. After you fix it, you can change the description of what you did and link to it.

If you can't fix it, do this. But make sure this isn't the only or best thing in your portfolio. People who show up with nothing but a bunch of half-finished junk is a red flag.

I usually tell people to give me 1 polished project that doesn't need to be very interesting, but it should look somewhat professional. Then give me 1-2 other things that are interesting or stretched you, but don't need to be very polished or complete.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
anyone have any stories about taking a massive paycut and feeling really good about it? I have an offer with a PA-based company and I want to leave my (horrible, bad-personality, bad remote-culture) CA-based company/team.

When all is said and done, I'd be taking home $22k less per year. I factored everything in like 401K matching, gym reimbursement, taxes, etc. But the catch is that I live in San Diego, where the COL is about the highest in the country, so money is definitely a huge factor when it comes to this decision. I keep telling myself there's nothing stopping me from just taking this offer and continuing to interview for something better, but I still feel queasy about it.

e: I also have already been through 2 rounds of negotiations and got my original offer of $120 to $145K, which I feel very good about. But it's obviously still low for California COL.

e2: I also want to add that my _main_ problem with my current company is the workload. Essentially, I've finished my project which I was hired to do, and it's not going live until November, so in the meantime, my manager has decided to put me on (another) solo project by myself in a completely new language that I don't want to learn and isn't going to be relevant to my career path (Dart) and telling me that there's this deadline to get the project done. This is giving me massive anxiety because it's not my job title since I was hired to be a FE developer. I have absolutely no plans on committing to project and want to fully quit before then. I don't even want the experience on my resume because I will never apply for mobile jobs writing Dart. On top of this like I mentioned earlier, there's just some massive team problems where I'm just a solo developer working in isolation and the team leads and managers do nothing in the way of creating a culture within the team.

It's hard to explain the toll it's taking on me mentally, and I know it might sound like I'm complaining about small fish, but it really is making me want to leave ASAP

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 27, 2022

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Not sure what your life situation is, i.e. if you have dependents or a mortgage. I've taken a paycut before to leave a toxic environment, albeit it was only $6k less (going from $68k to $62k), but it was definitely the best decision I made for my career and sanity. I'm also in CA for I feel your pain on COL, especially with the inflation in the state making things even more expensive than they were before.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Only you can really tell how much that pay cut will actually affect your quality of life. I'd figure out what the after tax difference is, divide it by either 12 or 26 depending on how you do your budgeting, and figure out how having that much less would change your life and if it's worth it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

$145k is slightly low for San Diego which is high but it's not downtown SF or LA high CoL

$145 might be a good landing place for 6 months to a year while you look for a more permanent landing place

Option B is take a 6 month sabbatical. Make something up, tell your boss, take short term disability (I think this is the coward's way out, but it's alarmingly effective at a fortune 500). SE asia is really nice pretty much any time of year. Been there, done that, highly recommend

If you have a family/mortgage the calculus changes a lot.

Being a free agent you have a lot of options. As a single no kids developer, maybe the downgrade is what you need. Just don't tell your coworkers how much money you gave up to work with them in a moment of weakness

If you do leave, get all your projects done, dot the I cross the t, this industry is a lot smaller than you think

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 27, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I have not taken a paycut at any job yet, but I guess is basically is about if you can still support living. If it's about workload, you could consider the pay by hour, I guess. So if you're currently pulling 60 hour weeks and you expect to work 45, then go X/60 and Y/45. It's not an exact science, but it might make the lower pay more palatable.

Before getting into software dev, I worked a lot of lovely jobs and have never really been sad when circumstances lead me to leave one of those jobs, even if it turned out to go awry almost immediately afterwards. Although I guess that leads to the base consideration: even if this goes completely wrong, do you have an emergency fund to support you for X months to find the next thing? The job market is pretty hot so you should be able to get your foot in somewhere else, which also might reduce the relative risk of moving.

Risk can be thought of as consequences of something bad happening / odds of something bad happening. So, the risk you're considering here is not being able to afford future spending, retirement or etc. That is a real risk but it is also spread out amongst the next year, five years, thirty years, etc while the other side is the risk of you having some sort of health or emotional problem from being in a bad position which could face you very quickly.

Don't decide it in any immediate emotional state, but also don't remove your emotion from it entirely; if you're being wronged in some way by your employer, then that should enter into your equation. The new place might not be better, but hopefully in this market where it's difficult to hire anyone any team will appreciate you.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

where's the data science pipeline like for someone with a math background to solidify all their poo poo and land one of these cushy entry jobs

Or AI Engineer or some equivalent since poking black boxes with a stick sounds like it'll be hot for awhile

will saying that victoria 2 is my favorite game help my interview chances?

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 27, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I am always forgetting money protocol beyond "do not give a number first", so any guidance would be swell. I'm in a pretty good position, my current company is giving me a couple raises / promotions that I expect to receive in ~6 months, don't know exact numbers beyond the first one but I expect 20-30% overall pay increase by 2023. It's a massive Fortune 100 company and other factors I have no reason to assume it won't happen, beyond general "don't count your eggs before they hatch". I'm in presumably the victory lap of interviews with another company, they just want me to chat with the department head, already passed 3-4 rounds of technical interviews. Early on I ignored salary requirements and now, I'm being asked what I'm looking for salary wise. The other company seems like a career improvement / quality of life improvement but based on glassdoor I'm not too confident they'll exceed the pending raises at the current company significantly (though who knows?), salary wise I'm expecting a bit of a lateral movement...

Is the correct course of action here to still try and punt or should I try and answer the question and just aim high? I still haven't had an opportunity to ask detailed questions vacation, benefits et al. besides vague "it's good" early on, will probably be something I try and talk about in the last meeting.

I guess really my question is whats the course of action when the base salary starts to get close to / exceed FAANG, just ask for stock? Is levels.fyi still the best tech spot for accurate salary numbers?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mr. Crow posted:

I am always forgetting money protocol beyond "do not give a number first", so any guidance would be swell. I'm in a pretty good position, my current company is giving me a couple raises / promotions that I expect to receive in ~6 months, don't know exact numbers beyond the first one but I expect 20-30% overall pay increase by 2023. It's a massive Fortune 100 company and other factors I have no reason to assume it won't happen, beyond general "don't count your eggs before they hatch". I'm in presumably the victory lap of interviews with another company, they just want me to chat with the department head, already passed 3-4 rounds of technical interviews. Early on I ignored salary requirements and now, I'm being asked what I'm looking for salary wise. The other company seems like a career improvement / quality of life improvement but based on glassdoor I'm not too confident they'll exceed the pending raises at the current company significantly (though who knows?), salary wise I'm expecting a bit of a lateral movement...

Is the correct course of action here to still try and punt or should I try and answer the question and just aim high? I still haven't had an opportunity to ask detailed questions vacation, benefits et al. besides vague "it's good" early on, will probably be something I try and talk about in the last meeting.

I guess really my question is whats the course of action when the base salary starts to get close to / exceed FAANG, just ask for stock? Is levels.fyi still the best tech spot for accurate salary numbers?

You might find more luck in the negotiation thread.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

possibly ridiculous question: is there still actual money in learning poo poo like COBOL? what is the work actually like?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Mr. Crow posted:

Yeah levels has the most readily accessible data that you don't have to pay for, and has the added benefit of having actual real data points and not just surveys that managers fill out like the services that companies pay thousands of dollars to use.

I'd try to just deal with money during the offer itself, or if they press you for an answer, try find out what salary band it is that they've placed you in, or the salary band(s)/budget for the role you'll be getting into. If they don't know yet or if it's not defined, you can say something about wanting to finalize the interview process and only talk about money once they are ready to extend an offer or whatever.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Shibawanko posted:

possibly ridiculous question: is there still actual money in learning poo poo like COBOL? what is the work actually like?

Compared to ordinary non-software dev jobs? Yes. The notion of there being a cobol developer shortage is extremely overblown, though. Very few people want to get into cobol development because there's very few jobs out there, they're all dead-ends, and they don't even pay very well by software developer standards.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My employer has some Cobol programmers. I haven't met them, but management has painted a picture of them being bottom dollar offshore contractors. They don't use version control and do all of their work directly on the server, for example. I have no idea how that passes our audit requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

cum jabbar posted:

My employer has some Cobol programmers. I haven't met them, but management has painted a picture of them being bottom dollar offshore contractors. They don't use version control and do all of their work directly on the server, for example. I have no idea how that passes our audit requirements.

My understanding is that some (many?) schools in India teach cobol specifically for this purpose.