Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my child to share

The second the daughter turns 18, she better bounce or I trust her parents will kick her out because "you're an adult now."

Those parents are just really cheap, no gifts for you only free donut for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cowslips Warren posted:

The second the daughter turns 18, she better bounce or I trust her parents will kick her out because "you're an adult now."

"We do not celebrate birthdays in our family as we think it is important to teach her that it is just like any other day"

Ah, I see, cool cool cool.

One question, though: why?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
in a general sense i think choosing to skip birthday celebrations is not really a big deal. the flipside, though, is that that means you have to be awesome and loving and filling your kids with love and kindness and celebration for the other 365 days of the year

and these fucks clearly aren't doing that

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Like, on the one hand, yeah I get no wanting to raise your kid to expect a yearly blow-out at Chuck E. Cheese with an elaborate cake and a ton of presents. But it seems like these dipshits went to the polar opposite and given their meltdown about wanting her donut, they definitely didn't take that position for financial or philosophical reasons other than "I ain't spending poo poo on these kids and they better support us when they're old enough."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To my understanding, not celebrating birthdays is a thing in some cultures and religions like Jehovah's Witnesses and some versions of Judaism, like the infamous story where an Alabama call center threw a surprise baby shower for an extremely Jewish woman they'd constantly harassed for her religion, because in the sect of Judaism she followed, baby showers are seen as wishing that your baby will die in birth (on the notion that you'd only celebrate prematurely if you knew that there'd not be an actual event to celebrate when it happens).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Brawnfire posted:

"We do not celebrate birthdays in our family as we think it is important to teach her that it is just like any other day"

Ah, I see, cool cool cool.

One question, though: why?

they could be Jehovah's Witnesses

e: either way the root answer is, "so that our children don't feel they have independent and inherent value, so we can emotionally dominate them more easily"

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 6, 2022

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

mediaphage posted:

imagine getting that upset because your daughter bought herself a doughnut on her birthday. i'm literally unable to understand that.

I'd be very upset that my daughter bought herself a donut in her birthday, because that would mean she wanted donuts but had to buy them herself on her birthday. I'm not a huge birthday bash dad, but I don't think some donuts or a cake with some candles and a gift or two will spoil a kid in the least.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's difficult for me to grasp that the parents don't even hold the day to be special in their own minds. My child was born that day! Before that day they didn't exist in the world, and now they do! I want to celebrate that, personally. A cupcake from the grocery store and a candle at least.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's a weird control thing where she's not even allowed to have her own donut because that means she's trying to feel special on her birthday, and instead she should be in the grindset! Not only do they not celebrate, they go out of their way to make sure she doesn't as well. Look how quickly the mom honed in on what appeared to be a small gift and interrogated whether it was given or not. The daughter had to defend with she bought it for herself, which may not even be true but clearly she's not even allowed to accept gifts on her bday in that atmosphere.

That poor girl. I hope she's able to unlearn this poo poo when she breaks away into adulthood.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 6, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mediaphage posted:

imagine getting that upset because your daughter bought herself a doughnut on her birthday. i'm literally unable to understand that.

But it's important she realises her birthday isn't special!

Man, I'd love* to know the reasoning behind that.

* hate

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

It's difficult for me to grasp that the parents don't even hold the day to be special in their own minds. My child was born that day! Before that day they didn't exist in the world, and now they do! I want to celebrate that, personally. A cupcake from the grocery store and a candle at least.

hm, i dunno, still sounds like it would be about them, not me

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

thinking about it more, i strongly doubt a Witness would post for advice on reddit, these are almost certainly independent and free-thinking shitheads

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Could just as easily be some dumb New Age suburban nonsense. Not spoiling a kid is fine, punishing them for having a Boston Cream to celebrate their birthday is ridiculous

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

mediaphage posted:

narcissism is a hell of a thing

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sounds like the divorce was a shitshow at probably the worst possible time for him and they never really worked through that.

God I feel for this guy, he’s an even-more-damaged version of me. Not my exact circumstances, but a shitshow divorce and remarriages as an adolescent is rough. Reading the way the guy talk about how he feels is physically painful.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's a weird control thing where she's not even allowed to have her own donut because that means she's trying to feel special on her birthday, and instead she should be in the grindset! Not only do they not celebrate, they go out of their way to make sure she doesn't as well. Look how quickly the mom honed in on what appeared to be a small gift and interrogated whether it was given or not. The daughter had to defend with she bought it for herself, which may not even be true but clearly she's not even allowed to accept gifts on her bday in that atmosphere.

That poor girl. I hope she's able to unlearn this poo poo when she breaks away into adulthood.

Amazon warehouse management as a parenting style

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

If it was a religious thing the OP would definitely specify that because it would get more people on their side. This is just some "our children are our property and need to be reminded of that" abuse

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

duck trucker posted:

If it was a religious thing the OP would definitely specify that because it would get more people on their side. This is just some "our children are our property and need to be reminded of that" abuse

This tracks for me. My personal experience with Witnesses (had some JW friends in K-12) would be that the kid would get punished for merely expressing the desire for a birthday. It’d get padded with language about pivoting their perspective back to god, but there’d be a big to-do about it at the church.

Those parents don’t seem to be punishing her for wanting a birthday, just—you know—treating herself a little bit when her own parents refuse to acknowledge the one little day a year we can assign to ourselves as a personal holiday. I agree that it makes sense they may not want to pay for a large celebration or deal with crowds, but come on. They’re definitely on a different track than that.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

duck trucker posted:

Yeah, it's "she should be doing homework, not wasting time celebrating."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

Job stuff aside, someone who just got off work deserves at bare minimum 5-15 minutes to go to the bathroom, wash their hands, change out of their work clothes, get a drink of water, etc before taking over childcare duties. Unless it's an emergency. Even if they have a chill low stress job, they just got off the road after a days work. Give them a couple minutes to switch gears.

Job stuff aside, someone who just got off work taking care of a child all day deserves at bare minimum 5-15 minutes to go to the bathroom, wash their hands, change out of their work clothes, get a drink of water, etc. Even if they have a chill low stress baby, they just got done taking care of a living human for an entire day. Give them a couple minutes to have a moment to themselves.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
why not both?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

sullat posted:

Job stuff aside, someone who just got off work taking care of a child all day deserves at bare minimum 5-15 minutes to go to the bathroom, wash their hands, change out of their work clothes, get a drink of water, etc. Even if they have a chill low stress baby, they just got done taking care of a living human for an entire day. Give them a couple minutes to have a moment to themselves.

you're right, and/but the "just got off this job" for the stay-at-home parent doesn't actually start until the out-of-home parent has had THEIR break because until the end of that decompression period the first person is not yet fully present to take over their job duties. did you think you were posting some kind of gotcha? all you did was post a reasonable truth in a way that ridiculously implied it's in some form of opposition with another reasonable truth. it is true that not enough people acknowledge this about the stay-at-home parent but it's true for both parties.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

baggage implied

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

sullat posted:

dam, rly makes u think huh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The important thing is that you set expectations by posting on the internet about it rather than talking to one another

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

yeah?!! well I’ve also been seeing a child’s organs outside of their body all day, the largest organ, skin is an organ, u didn’t think about that now did u our days weren’t so different after all

MY child at least survived so at least one of us is doing our job :smug:

dear aita my wife and I had a disagreement and now she wants a divorce????

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 6, 2022

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
AITA for telling gf I don’t care about her ADHD ?

quote:

Girlfriend (28F) and I (24F) have moved in together february.

She has ADHD that she is medicated and goes to therapy for. I’ve known this since before we started dating and did my best to educate myself on how to help her cope with the challenges. However, ever since we moved in together, the challenges have gotten worse. She never cleans or does any of the chores, she often leaves containers to grow mold in the fridge until I’ve started checking every single one daily to see if anything is spoiled. If she puts a dirty dish in the sink, it will stay there forever until I clean it. I bought a Dishwasher, but she won’t load it due to her executive dysfunction. She won’t take out the trash either or do her laundry. It´s tiring but i figured she must be suffering from work stress so stepped up to help out.

But the incident that has made me me lose is it the following : more than 5 times now, she has put something on the stove and walked away to be on her phone, until whatever she was cooking set off the fire alarm. My stove has a timer on it that you set for however long you want, and it will shut the stove off after the set time has passed. I’ve shown her how to use it over and over again, so that if she walks away the stove will simply turn itself off. She never has. I have also brought a ringing timer but she rarely uses it. Finally I told her to text me when she wanted to cook if she was worried she’d get lost on her phone, so that I can text her a reminder or call her.

Well, yesterday I came back home to the firemen in front of our building bc she had put a frying pan with oil in it on the stove and forgot about it while she scrolled tiktok until it caught on fire and burned down half of our kitchen.

I was very concerned for her and made sure she was uninjured, but I got mad after she didn’t even apologize. All she said was « you shouldn’t be mad, this stuff happens and you know it’s my adhd and I can’t help it ». This is when I told her that I don’t care about her ADHD, that I cared about us being pretty much homeless now, and that I had just lost the security deposit for the apartment which was 3x the monthly rent money, because she refused to use any of the solutions I offered and all the accommodations I’ve tried to make. She got very upset and left, and I couldn’t stop her bc the landlord had just arrived at the scene and was PISSED.

It’s been a day now and I’m pretty sure she has blocked me, as well as made multiple posts citing me being an uncaring c*nt towards the mentally ill. I’ve had a couple mutual friends and her sister reach out calling me insensitive and saying that I revealed my true colors and dehumanized her, and that I’m putting the money above caring for my gf.

Even the friend that I am crashing with told me that I shouldn’t have snapped at her, hat by saying I don’t care about her ADHD I have given her lifelong trust issues when it comes to future partners. So reddit, am I the deluded rear end in a top hat here

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

well I'm sure one of the people reaching out to talk poo poo let her stay at their place and use their kitchen

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

yeah?!! well I’ve also been seeing a child’s organs outside of their body all day, the largest organ, skin is an organ, u didn’t think about that now did u our days weren’t so different after all

MY child at least survived so at least one of us is doing our job :smug:

dear aita my wife and I had a disagreement and now she wants a divorce????

lmao

Soylent Pudding posted:

My coworker threw a pee covered pregnancy test at people and now there is chaos

update

r/relationships: a company-wide memo about keeping bodily fluids to yourself

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The Glumslinger posted:

Glad our thread goon found someone if only temporarily

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

sullat posted:

I think it's a bit harsh to only give someone a 5-15 minute break after watching a child all day before giving the child back to them. People really should try and help each other more and share some responsibilities. You wouldn't like it if you worked all day at a job and only got a 5-15 minute break.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Glumslinger posted:

quote:

Even the friend that I am crashing with told me that I shouldn’t have snapped at her, hat by saying I don’t care about her ADHD I have given her lifelong trust issues when it comes to future partners.
Good! loving good! Fewer people whose kitchens she will be burning down with her learned helplessness!

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

well I'm sure one of the people reaching out to talk poo poo let her stay at their place and use their kitchen

Flying Monkeys never seem to have money or space for their lovely queen bee.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Just hit da bricks OP

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITA for changing the song just before they walked down the aisle?

quote:

Hey,

So I (m 27) am the best man for my best friend's wedding. They got married abroad and we were all very excited. The couple were pretty chill on most details, but there were some details that were set in stone (eg flower colours, the time of the wedding and there was to be a live singer and band, no pre-recorded track).

So for the prep, everything was going great. The place looked great, the band was ready, everyone was happy. Then the next day just as the bride was about to walk up the aisle, the singer vomits all over herself, the mic and the floor. She then gets up and leaves (don't blame her). The wedding is put on hold for 15 minutes as I rush to find the singer, make sure she's okay and ask if she can make it though, but she can't. The wedding now has no music and we've no backup (the bride was ADAMENT there was to be no track).

Now not to toot my trumpet, but I'm a good singer and the bride and groom know this. I sing for a living.

I speak to the band and they (thank god) are willing to stay and finish out the ceremony. I say I will sing, but I don't know the song and I am not able to sing as high as the woman. I changed the song to "bless the broken road" by rascal Flatts. It was in my range and appropriate (I thought). Only issue is, in the panic I didn't mention to the groom nor bride because they were panicking more than me. I just said "it's handled, everything's fine".

So we reset. I stand in the singers pool of vomit and sing the song while the band play as well as anyone could with a song change 5 minutes before. It went pretty well. The rest of the songs went unchanged because I know them and we just changed the key.

After the wedding, the newly married couple were so thankful and said it was beautiful, but both of their mothers were FURIOUS. Apparently the aisle song was a tradition on the brides side of the family and I "had no right changing such a crucial part of the ceremony without telling anyone". They saw the singer explode with vomit, same as everyone present, but they couldn't understand why I couldn't get her back. I apologize to them both, but I tell them I was trying to make sure the wedding just went ahead. The grooms father pulled me to the side and said I did great and to ignore his wife. The mothers also say I should have to pay for the band (I gave them all generous tips for sticking around and being so cool about it).

AITA

quote:

The only way you could be TA in this situation is if you have a history of making things always about you. Then it could feel like you were only too happy to steal the limelight and do your karaoke performance. But apart from that, NTA for sure.

OP posted:

Yeah that's what the mothers' think we're my intention. They think I fed the singer eye drops just to play superhero and save the day. I told them I would have rathered be on the stage with my best friend and not "working", but they won't be reasoned with.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Biplane posted:

Just hit da bricks OP

She's already hit the bricks, she should take ex to small claims.

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
Uhh I've got middling ADHD but I can cook without burning my house down, it just involves a lot of timers with alarms and podcasts to listen to the whole time. You're supposed to develop coping strategies if your meds don't work well enough, not just shrug and say "well I guess it's fine to start fires all the time lol"

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Who can link this ? I'm having no luck finding it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A good update.
Update: AITA for calling my wife fat in front of our young children.

quote:

Update: AITA for calling my wife fat in front of our young children.

Clearly I messed up. Hugely. I said something extremely hurtful to my wife and set a really poor example to our children. I disrespected and humiliated the woman I love.

I’m deeply ashamed and feel dreadful for my wife and the impact I’ve had on her.

I have apologised to my wife privately and also in front of the children. I also apologised to them for modelling such terrible behaviour.

We gave them a chance to share any feelings they had, which mainly focussed on the loss of the chocolate. My daughter remarked I’d said something “mean” to mummy, which was sobering. And absolutely right.

We couldn’t find another egg. Instead my son chose a tub of Celebrations, which he has been happily sharing with his sister.

Some wider issues were obviously shown by this incident.

Firstly, my own issues with anxiety over my wife’s health and how this manifests as me trying to exert too much influence over what she eats.

I don’t care about her weight for appearance sake (she will always be the most beautiful woman to me). What I care about is her high blood pressure and family history of heart disease (her dad and brother both died in their 40s). This has made me pathologically obsessed with losing my wife.

I now see this fear led me to be controlling and critical. I’m deeply ashamed of this.

I’m working with a therapist to deal with my control issues and my grief over the death of my identical twin. My wife felt it’s significant that the day I called her fat was the anniversary of his death, as my fear of loss was higher than usual. I know this in no way excuses my behaviour, however.

My wife has requested I continue to cook for us, prepare packed lunches and encourage family bike rides, but beyond this I’m not to be involved.

She is smart, mature and highly capable, I deeply regret losing sight of this.

For her part, my wife apologised to our children for taking the egg and not saying anything. Contrary to what many people thought, I regularly buy her chocolate, as gifts and at her request. She also buys her own too! She admits she requested no egg with the best of intentions, but regretted it later!

She herself raised the possibility of a binge eating disorder, as she regularly will eat far beyond the point of enjoyment, leading to nausea. She is keen to pursue help for this, and she is planning to attend a specialist when she feels ready. My instinct is to encourage her to do this immediately, as I’m worried, but I now realise this is controlling behaviour on my part.

I will always regret what happened and will never stop trying to make my wife aware of just how beautiful she is in every possible way: mind, body and soul. I am now aware of how deep an effect my heartless comment may have had on her self-esteem and will never forgive myself for hurting the woman I love. Thank you for helping me see how poorly I acted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for changing the song just before they walked down the aisle?

This eyedrop accusation is very specific and that concerns me.