Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Struensee posted:

My 3 y/o yesterday: "I don't want to walk on the sidewalk, I wanna get run over"

Wow your kid is already reading cspam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Yeah, crack pinged as gently caress. Gotta prepare for the hellworld of tomorrow

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Struensee posted:

Yeah, crack pinged as gently caress. Gotta prepare for the hellworld of tomorrow

how else is he gonna get a settlement to pay for college?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MacheteZombie posted:

While my kiddo still has meltdowns at times (mostly when hungry or sleepy) she's doing great for what I expected at 3.

During her birthday party at the start of the month her friend was melting down because she didn't want to leave so my kiddo went up to her, put an arm around her and said "it's okay to be upset but sometimes we have to leave" and I wanted to cry lol just the sweetest thing ever

drat that is amazing :kimchi:

I'm kinda looking forward to the toddler years (my son is 6mo) but my wife is dreading it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my recent sappy moment was this weekend when my wife commented on a toddler at the playground and said "she" to which my son said "how do you know they're a girl?"

and we said yeah you're right we don't know that. good point.

so I asked him where he learned to be mindful of that and he said "I learned it from you two."

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

MacheteZombie posted:

During her birthday party at the start of the month her friend was melting down because she didn't want to leave so my kiddo went up to her, put an arm around her and said "it's okay to be upset but sometimes we have to leave" and I wanted to cry lol just the sweetest thing ever

after my grandma's funeral we were at a memorial family hangout at my uncle's place but my wife and I had to run to deal with something so we left the kid there (they were probably 6 or 7, can't remember exactly). when we got back my mom said that the kid had gone up to my dad and said something to the effect of "papa I know you're sad because your mom just died so I'm going to sit here and hug you for a while" and did so which is just adorable.

now it's just the teenage years of having meltdowns because we ask them to empty the dishwasher or to ask a teacher why an assignment is showing as missing.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Spoiler: I am not a risk to myself or others

I want to harm myself because I feel loving awful because our 1 year old just popped positive for lead, not "WOAH GET TO CHELATION" hot but "hmm this needs a followup and you should look for lead sources".

We bought a post -80s construction house with lead concerns in mind. Got the water tested several times. Got lead test kits, tested fixtures, tested old maple sugar gear (got rid of a bunch as a result), tested surfaces, etc. What didn't I test? I didn't test the loving clawfoot bathtub right at the water line. I tested the fixtures, I think I tested the rim, but, that gray area where the water level hits? Nope, didn't test it. I still have the loving lead tests, so when my wife mentioned that as a possibility I busted them out and -- blood loving red (red means lead) all along the loving inside of the tub.

Other kiddo has taken baths in there for a lot longer, she also did not test positive on these same tests -- and she lacks her younger siblings tendency to put anything and everything including dumb amounts of bathwater in her mouth. But, I feel awful, loving negligent as gently caress, I am glad the state does these tests because at least it alerted us to a problem fairly fast and when her levels are not so scary that there is already clear risk of permanent harm, but, you know, there's no loving safe amount of lead, any amount of it will mineralize in bones, etc.

Also makes me realize my skeleton may be like 5% lead by weight because I also loved to put everything in the world in my mouth but I grew up only ~6 years post lead ban, not 45.

I just feel loving awful though and I'm never going to not feel awful about this because, sure, we buy a new tub and patch the hole, but, damage done? We'll never really know.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’m sorry you are going through this. Im in an 1920 house and shared your same concerns. I live in a zip code next to the highest amount of elevated lead in kids in michigan(it ain’t flint) and the main culprit is actually kids breathing in lead paint dust from doors and windows opening and closing.

I just found out recently we have lead water lines to our house but it’s all copper internally. there are additives in our water that prevent lead leakage( which is what was turned off that screwed flint). I had my kid tested constantly until age 5.

I still made sure my kid ate a lot of iron rich foods because that helps block lead absorption. I hope your pediatrician is giving you good guidance on this.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
3rd grader just learned that the Ancient Romans had a Representative Democracy, and the United States also has a Representative Democracy. Isn't that nice?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

sonatinas posted:

I’m sorry you are going through this. Im in an 1920 house and shared your same concerns. I live in a zip code next to the highest amount of elevated lead in kids in michigan(it ain’t flint) and the main culprit is actually kids breathing in lead paint dust from doors and windows opening and closing.

I just found out recently we have lead water lines to our house but it’s all copper internally. there are additives in our water that prevent lead leakage( which is what was turned off that screwed flint). I had my kid tested constantly until age 5.

I still made sure my kid ate a lot of iron rich foods because that helps block lead absorption. I hope your pediatrician is giving you good guidance on this.

so far our experiences with our pediatrician have been good; my own googling had already lead me to iron supplementation as well as (obviously) finding and removing any obvious sources.

the tilting thing for me is, I had the lead test kits on hand, I'd tested substantial parts of that bathroom, and this just wasn't on my radar at all. Additionally, we almost replaced the tub the first year we were here because it's like 55" long and 14" soaking depth and not very useful for grown rear end adults, but, having no idea it was a safety concern, that didn't seem like a great use of a grand at the time. So, here we are, now spending probably a grand and a half because of general price increases in everything since 2018, and having exposed our kids and to some extent ourselves to lead for that period of time for no fuckin good reason other than "oops dad didn't swab the waterline of the tub"

part of me wants to take those test kits to everywhere around here that sells vintage clawfoots; i bet anything that hasn't been re-enamaled very recently will pop red.

Red, for lead. And dead. Redrum.

Here's a totally normal picture of a bunch of kids toys with the blood splatter of a hot lead test above it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the water line of the tub, goddamn.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

claw foot tubs suck anyway because you have to clean around that poo poo.

old rear end houses probably had them installed before the doors were up so they can’t fit through the house. have to break them up which means more loving lead dust.

I told my spouse we are never breaking down a wall as long as our kid is in the house due to every old home being a lead /asbestos trap.

there are horror stories about lead remediation companies just making it worse because they don’t clean up or actually seal the area.

when I was living in the south this poo poo wasn’t on my radar since most homes are post 70s that we lived or looked at but when I moved to Grand Rapids 75% or so of the homes are built before 1975 and a big portion of those are pre 50s. probably a similar percentage for a lot of rust belt areas.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the water line of the tub, goddamn.

yea, you can see the yellow splatter above it, which is lead negative

makes sense: hard water + soap line gradually eats away at the finish, eventually lead containing poo poo that's been enameled away starts to leech in. Motherfucker, though.

This is my state health dept's lead brochure: https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/01/ENV_AL_leadhazardsinhometemplate6.18.08PDF.pdf -- no mention of this

https://www.epa.gov/lead/protect-your-family-sources-lead -- EPA doc, similar.

However, if you google "clawfoot tub lead" then you find a lot of information, and a lot of it is from people who sell re-enameling or bathtubs so of course this is in their interest and these are not peer reviewed studies, but one company said they tested a bunch of clawfoots and found lead in 100% of them.

:allears:

...the replacement tub will probably be acrylic microplastic soup!!

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

yea, you can see the yellow splatter above it, which is lead negative

makes sense: hard water + soap line gradually eats away at the finish, eventually lead containing poo poo that's been enameled away starts to leech in. Motherfucker, though.

This is my state health dept's lead brochure: https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/01/ENV_AL_leadhazardsinhometemplate6.18.08PDF.pdf -- no mention of this

https://www.epa.gov/lead/protect-your-family-sources-lead -- EPA doc, similar.

However, if you google "clawfoot tub lead" then you find a lot of information, and a lot of it is from people who sell re-enameling or bathtubs so of course this is in their interest and these are not peer reviewed studies, but one company said they tested a bunch of clawfoots and found lead in 100% of them.

:allears:

...the replacement tub will probably be acrylic microplastic soup!!

Man that's hosed. Like i think in lead pipes an oxide layer builds up so there is very little leaching, but in a tub that you regularly scrub and clean as a normal rear end adult/parent who is responsible that oxide layer would never persist and you would get leaching. poo poo sucks dude. Anyway man you keep like blaming yourself in these posts and you need to let that poo poo go it's not your fault.

E: also real talk I'm honestly blown away as a chemist/chemical engineer that the leaching from that small exposed area on your tub could cause worrisome lead levels in your child. Not a lead expert but it just seems surprising to me. There might be another source. Have you gotten rid of the tub yet? If not, you should fill the tub as you normally do and take a sample and test that. Or ideally test 5 samples so you can get a std dev. I would do it both before and after adding soap, however much you normally out in your child's bath. Because it will suck if you replace the tub and don't see any improvements in your kids tests and can't figure out wtf is going on... Idk of your strips can test water but you should be able to send them to a lab somewhere for an assay...

E2: the other thing about this is, if you know the ppm of lead in the bath water and the ppm lead in your kids blood you should be able to do some super rough calculations and see if it makes sense. Like if your kid has X mg lead in their body and the bath water has Y ppm lead in it they must have swallowed Z ml of water which would have been A ml per bath over an estimated B number of baths in their lifetime.

And if you end up with a super crazy wrong (low) number then you know to look for another source of lead. If the number seems about right you can be calmer and pretty confident replacing the tub was all you needed to do.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 20:13 on May 5, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My wife is only 20 weeks pregnant, so not sure I qualify for this thread yet, but lead chat has prompted me to order a test kit for our 1950s house!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

My wife is only 20 weeks pregnant, so not sure I qualify for this thread yet, but lead chat has prompted me to order a test kit for our 1950s house!

you do and yep. check your windows if they’re original and been painted over.

your county can check a water sample for lead as well.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chad Sexington posted:

one of us one of us one of us

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My four year old led me down a "what are cigarettes? " > "smoking makes you sick and die" > "do people live forever?" > "will you and mama live forever?" rabbit hole and I thought honesty was the best policy but now it's four hours past his bedtime and I'm nursing him through his first existential crisis.

e.
I forgot the inflection point of "people smoke cigarettes because they want to die"
i think this + a sick pet + my finding out his "ghost car" game is inspired by a daycare friend telling him his family died in a car crash = tonight

i'm too loving tired to appreciate how psychedelic this is

unlimited shrimp has issued a correction as of 05:40 on May 6, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

Man that's hosed. Like i think in lead pipes an oxide layer builds up so there is very little leaching, but in a tub that you regularly scrub and clean as a normal rear end adult/parent who is responsible that oxide layer would never persist and you would get leaching. poo poo sucks dude. Anyway man you keep like blaming yourself in these posts and you need to let that poo poo go it's not your fault.

E: also real talk I'm honestly blown away as a chemist/chemical engineer that the leaching from that small exposed area on your tub could cause worrisome lead levels in your child. Not a lead expert but it just seems surprising to me. There might be another source. Have you gotten rid of the tub yet?

And if you end up with a super crazy wrong (low) number then you know to look for another source of lead. If the number seems about right you can be calmer and pretty confident replacing the tub was all you needed to do.

this is all good information, and, no, we haven't done anything other than stop using the tub and have a follow up blood test that's more accurate, which we're waiting for the results of. Getting samples tested will not be hard; among other things the maple industry around here ensures good access to lead fluid testing, because stuff made on old gear will have lead in it, and while I think that's been illegal for commercial use for a while, lots of people do whatever they're going to do with 25 year old galvanized lead-welded pans because replacing them with tig welded ones costs thousands of dollars.

She had played with some old toys at one point, which both her sister and myself had played with, but her sister doesn't have her tendency to stick poo poo in her mouth, and when I was a kid they didn't even do this testing.

It wouldn't shock me if there was another vector; one thing I read online, a kid ended up with 3x these levels for months and it turned out to be suckling a zipper on a sleep sack. That's especially hosed up because I am assuming that a sleep sack is not some heirloom item and so it's probably cost cutting bs putting cheap metal in the zipper, but I'd be outraged (if not actually surprised) if that's legal.

This kid will put literally anything in her mouth. I have spent periods of time on my hands and knees cleaning a room, and then watched her immediately use her tiny fingers to dig some random piece of metal wire out from a crack between the floorboards and try to eat it. I'd say we have a pair of eyes actually on her >95% of the time she's awake, and she's almost never unattended for more than ~15-20 seconds, but without dedicated live-in help, 100% eyes-on is pretty hard. So, "the possibilities are limitless", except that the construction here is all 1999 and later which does rule out a lot of stuff. The bathtub and a handful of toys are the only things from the really leaded age that she's had exposure to.

Not much to do except keep lead testing surfaces as they occur to me and wait for results. And to think one of the reasons I left Buffalo was the assumption other places might be free of these problems. I was pretty doomer already at that point (2008) but not as mentally broken (fixed?) as I am now by a long shot.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Yay! The follow up blood test that's more accurate was much lower -- 2.1 ug/dm, instead of 14! Just a little ~6.5x margin of error. That's within the "normal" range except that no amount of lead is normal especially not in a small kid, but that gets into a range that both worries me less from the perspective of harm already irrevocably done, and makes it more likely the bathtub could be the only problem.

I will do the bathtub water test, and other than that, I think we just replace it, do a follow up test in a couple months, and there's not much else to do. But, the state dept has a number and if they are willing to send someone out here to look around for anything we've overlooked, by all means.

So I guess the good news is our kid didn't get nearly as badly poisoned as the initial test indicated, also I'll probably be able to sit down in my own bathtub in some short period of time.

In other dad news -- trying to sell my motorcycle tomorrow. It pains me, but, these days any time I have to touch paved roads with cars in the other lane at 50, I just have a sense of "this is stupid, I am too clumsy to be doing this poo poo at 41 years old". I am not ruling out getting a (probably electric) dirt bike at some point down the road, but, I think it's time to say "hey, I've been dicking around on these things for 12 years now, I've ridden them into the ground on dirt and pavement and managed to not be badly hurt, and I'd rather not become one of the bad statistics".

Dirt bikes worry me a lot less, yes you can gently caress yourself up bad but it's more hardcore safety gear (lock-rotation helmets), generally lower speeds, and basically no risk of being clobbered by something bigger than you unless you hit a moose (which I came close to once lol).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

holy poo poo 14 . that would be a serious environmental issue if that was real. for reference here is my county in 2018. the prevalence was in 49503/49507 zips. 70% >5 were ages 1-2.

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 20:22 on May 6, 2022

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Yay! The follow up blood test that's more accurate was much lower -- 2.1 ug/dm, instead of 14! Just a little ~6.5x margin of error. That's within the "normal" range except that no amount of lead is normal especially not in a small kid, but that gets into a range that both worries me less from the perspective of harm already irrevocably done, and makes it more likely the bathtub could be the only problem.

I will do the bathtub water test, and other than that, I think we just replace it, do a follow up test in a couple months, and there's not much else to do. But, the state dept has a number and if they are willing to send someone out here to look around for anything we've overlooked, by all means.

So I guess the good news is our kid didn't get nearly as badly poisoned as the initial test indicated, also I'll probably be able to sit down in my own bathtub in some short period of time.

In other dad news -- trying to sell my motorcycle tomorrow. It pains me, but, these days any time I have to touch paved roads with cars in the other lane at 50, I just have a sense of "this is stupid, I am too clumsy to be doing this poo poo at 41 years old". I am not ruling out getting a (probably electric) dirt bike at some point down the road, but, I think it's time to say "hey, I've been dicking around on these things for 12 years now, I've ridden them into the ground on dirt and pavement and managed to not be badly hurt, and I'd rather not become one of the bad statistics".

Dirt bikes worry me a lot less, yes you can gently caress yourself up bad but it's more hardcore safety gear (lock-rotation helmets), generally lower speeds, and basically no risk of being clobbered by something bigger than you unless you hit a moose (which I came close to once lol).

That's good news about your kid. Hope that testing the bath water gives you peace of mind.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

unlimited shrimp posted:

my finding out his "ghost car" game is inspired by a daycare friend telling him his family died in a car crash

:stare:

e:

:unsmith:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1523308789424099328

happy Mother's Day, breeder goons

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Eaten out of what idgi

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Another Bill posted:

Eaten out of what idgi

eating out at applebee's

thats what every mom really wants for mothers day

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Moms just want to laugh or sneeze without pissing a little

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
my toddler took my face in her hands after nap today and said "I love you daddy" for the first time 😭😭😭

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

my toddler took my face in her hands after nap today and said "I love you daddy" for the first time 😭😭😭

ever since my daughter was born I turned into the biggest softie. I don’t think I’ll ever get emotionally tired of my kid’s affections.

it’s an amazing feeling and it really makes you want to be sure that you can live as long as possible for them. well that’s how I feel.

you will get so much more over the next few years. just tonight before we were going to begin her reading homework she wrote that she loved me with a nice island beach picture and wanted me to pretend that I didn’t notice her hiding it for me to find.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
as soon as i got the first gummy smile changing her bum at 3 in the morning i knew i didn't stand a chance.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Kid 1 at 4 years old is good at the new Kirby, and the next to newest Kirby, and okay at the newest mario. Has me play Mario Galaxy for the last couple weeks before bed (instead of pj mask) so he can tell me what to do. These darn video games... Are good! The only thing I have to curb is his insisting he play them all the time but luckily he takes it well. Also games are a good incentive for getting him good in the present by finding his playing games in the future on that. Was way more scared of games originally than I am now.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
I play botw with my almost 6 year old now and it's the best thing ever. She is kind of timid about playing but is getting braver, she helps me think through shrine puzzles and is really into the story. It owns, solid one on one time we both look forward to and actually easy to do after a long day of work and chores. At first I felt like I was being lazy because I wasn't like doing some active thing with her but gently caress it I have great memories playing NES with my step dad at that age so I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 07:02 on May 12, 2022

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

We ordered a full lead survey for a 1920s house where they use a machine to scan all the walls and stuff. You get a report with numbers for the level of lead on each surface.

It penetrates through paint so you can get a good read on whether or not the lead is "sealed." High numbers mean the lead paint is likely on top.

After we did ours I repainted most of the house using Zinsser Cover Stain oil-based primer followed by regular latex paint. That is what most professionals would recommend. They don't recommend stripping because that just releases the lead into the air. At least, not by yourself. It's a special job that is very expensive.

The downside of doing this report is now you know about the lead paint so you can't check the box that says, "I don't know" if you sell the house. You have to give potential buyers a copy of the report.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 13:18 on May 12, 2022

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

I play botw with my almost 6 year old now and it's the best thing ever. She is kind of timid about playing but is getting braver, she helps me think through shrine puzzles and is really into the story. It owns, solid one on one time we both look forward to and actually easy to do after a long day of work and chores. At first I felt like I was being lazy because I wasn't like doing some active thing with her but gently caress it I have great memories playing NES with my step dad at that age so I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

if you engage your kids while playing and talk to them so they can use their skills(even as simple as how many coins do I have or where is this?) then it’s a great time to have with them. my kid loves fishing games or games with fishing in them and open world nature games. she asked me if we can get a switch and I told her until you can read better we’re sticking to Apple Arcade and the occasional wii. she would probably love watching me play Zelda but I get tired reading all the text out loud.

now in real fishing I’m horrible I’m trying not to let her down. this year though we’re gonna catch fish.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

My toddler loves watching me exercise with my Ring Fit to the point that she'll grab it and bring it to me at random points during the day and get upset when she's told no. Wonder how much that's messing with her budding perception of what video games are and conflating screen time with active time.

On the bright side now she likes doing mini-squats and has surprisingly good form for a 2 year old.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cross posting someone linked in the happy thread. Sids cause found, perhaps

https://www.biospace.com/article/researchers-answer-how-and-why-infants-die-from-sids/

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

sonatinas posted:

if you engage your kids while playing and talk to them so they can use their skills(even as simple as how many coins do I have or where is this?) then it’s a great time to have with them. my kid loves fishing games or games with fishing in them and open world nature games. she asked me if we can get a switch and I told her until you can read better we’re sticking to Apple Arcade and the occasional wii. she would probably love watching me play Zelda but I get tired reading all the text out loud.

now in real fishing I’m horrible I’m trying not to let her down. this year though we’re gonna catch fish.

Yeah for sure like in BOTW she likes to fast travel and it's good practice for the cardinal directions etc...

We also had a lot of fun in Stardew valley

I tried animal crossing with her but that was wayyyyy to much reading gently caress that

Also we play on an emulator lol, i think i can largely attribute my computer skills to warez so i figure might as well get her started on that too

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Mario Galaxy has been so fun for science lessons

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

AxGrap posted:

Mario Galaxy has been so fun for science lessons

"Black holes are no big deal, just don't get within 5 feet of one"

"Stars are little jelly creatures"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Started with the concept of gravity, and then orbits. And then got into how real stars work etc. These concepts were a whole lot more conceptual to me when I was a kid and there wasn't a lot that could show you visually how that worked.