Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Throw a tube in there and get another two seasons out of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

Throw a tube in there and get another two seasons out of it!

I can't image riding a tube. That was how i dented it. I am dumb.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Do you need a new rear? I have a take off set of wheels from my hightower id sell for cheap. 350 hubs 30mm internal width.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

vikingstrike posted:

Do you need a new rear? I have a take off set of wheels from my hightower id sell for cheap. 350 hubs 30mm internal width.

I am hoping that it will all be fine eventually. We shall see.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

That's just fine and you should take him up on it and go enjoy some riding! Beware of hyperbole coming down the pipes after my posts (sorry goons) here about how 1x is mandatory etc - it's great but it's not mandatory.

To answer your questions directly:

1. Having 1x not a significant disadvantage but it means you don't get a narrow/wide front chainring which does quite a lot to keep the chain on the ring, preventing it from bouncing off. It's something that becomes more and more important as you ride stuff more and more aggressively or just are on faster/rougher terrain. I think it's absolutely fine for someone learning. The other 'benefit' of 1x is not having to use a shifter on the left side of the bars, and yes less complexity in that you don't have to think about both the front and back derailleurs. Upgrading to a 1x drivetrain is going to be around 400-600 bucks I think and not worth it unless you can find it used.

2. The only downside to full suspension (at all levels of riding) is weight, cost, and a reduction in efficiency when pedalling. Weight is definitely something to think about if you weren't being offered a deal, but that bike has an air shock in the back and it's not really going to be that much heavier. Cost, you don't have to think about because you're getting a buddy deal. Pedalling efficiency has been less and less of a thing every year and a 2013 bike from Trek is going to be designed in such a way that the rear suspension doesn't really bob around which causes that decrease in efficiency.

3. You can always get a dropper post installed, yep. It's relatively easy, the only thing is that if your bike didn't have it 'stock' then it'd be an extra cable outside the frame that you'd have to manage. Be aware that there are different seat tube diameters and you absolutely must get the dropper post that matches your frame. This is the one thing I'd actually replace relatively soon, check out KS Lev posts.

You'd be dumb not to jump on that, enjoy the new bike and don't worry so much about the gear side of it. Congrats!

Great, thanks. I'll go in to the local shop and see how much it would cost to get a dropper installed. I could probably do it myself but I have so much other stuff to work on that I might want to pay someone to do it for me and I'd like to support that shop if I can.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Great, thanks. I'll go in to the local shop and see how much it would cost to get a dropper installed. I could probably do it myself but I have so much other stuff to work on that I might want to pay someone to do it for me and I'd like to support that shop if I can.

My guess is they're going to quote you around $350. If you buy the post and have them install it I would think it's about $70 for the install. Just because someone decided to open a bike shop doesn't mean you're supposed to donate money to them IMO. I always call my local shop to see how close they're willing to move to the price of something I can get delivered to my door from amazon, but pretty much every time they're 100% unwilling to move on prices.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not sure internally-routed dropper posts even existed in 2013. You may have to get an external dropper, which either has a lever at the seatpost clamp or a cable leading from there to the handlebars. It limits your options a bit but is much less of a pain in the rear end to install

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If it's crazy expensive compared to other options I might not but this is the same place that took like 15-20 minutes to explain the basics and make recommendations of what I should look for knowing that I wasn't going to be buying anything that day so if prices are reasonable I'd prefer to buy from them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

vikingstrike posted:

Wanna split them? I'd take the rear

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Bottom Liner posted:

Wanna split them? I'd take the rear

If I were to sell them and need to ship, I'd probably prefer to keep them as a set. spwrozek is local to me, so bit easier to just meet up in Denver then have to pack up the wheels and mail them out.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Today I popped my tire (the sidewall made a gunshot loud bang), bent my saddle, and broke my wrist. My day was going so well up until that point, I was absolutely crushing my downhill sketch and big rocks and got too confident down a steep one. Hit a tree with my hand while trying to grab it to slow down. At least it wasn't a rib this time. Stay safe out there friendos.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

VelociBacon posted:

My guess is they're going to quote you around $350. If you buy the post and have them install it I would think it's about $70 for the install. Just because someone decided to open a bike shop doesn't mean you're supposed to donate money to them IMO. I always call my local shop to see how close they're willing to move to the price of something I can get delivered to my door from amazon, but pretty much every time they're 100% unwilling to move on prices.

$350 Canadian moon dollars? That seems crazy high. An external dropper might take 15 minutes to put on. Much beyond $20 above the purchase price is probably unreasonable. External dropper you should DIY.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How much is a KS Lev in CAD?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

neato burrito posted:

Today I popped my tire (the sidewall made a gunshot loud bang), bent my saddle, and broke my wrist. My day was going so well up until that point, I was absolutely crushing my downhill sketch and big rocks and got too confident down a steep one. Hit a tree with my hand while trying to grab it to slow down. At least it wasn't a rib this time. Stay safe out there friendos.

Yikes! Do your PT, and rehab well. See you in summer :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

n8r posted:

$350 Canadian moon dollars? That seems crazy high. An external dropper might take 15 minutes to put on. Much beyond $20 above the purchase price is probably unreasonable. External dropper you should DIY.

I'm talking about buying it from them and having them install it. And yes it's too high.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

First time riding trails with my little guy. It was fun and since we had a tow cable I was able to pull him up the mountain a few times then follow behind as he bombed the trails on the way down. He liked to repeatedly remind me that I was too slow and point out dips and ditches like the one in the second pic that he could go over fast but might be too hard for me.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Voodoofly posted:

First time riding trails with my little guy. It was fun and since we had a tow cable I was able to pull him up the mountain a few times then follow behind as he bombed the trails on the way down. He liked to repeatedly remind me that I was too slow and point out dips and ditches like the one in the second pic that he could go over fast but might be too hard for me.

Dope and an excellent ebike use case.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Any thoughts on 29er's for a 5'7"/170cm short guy on a bike mostly for bikeparks/downhill riding? I currently have 27.5" wheel trail bike but seems like everything has gone 29er now-days. Bit concerned that 29" wheels would be pretty big compared to my size, especially for tight bermed corners, smaller jumps and drops etc. Maybe mullet would be a compromise?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

What's a little astonishing workplace injury numbers between friends eh?

He's got the shittalking down so he'll go far.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

Any thoughts on 29er's for a 5'7"/170cm short guy on a bike mostly for bikeparks/downhill riding? I currently have 27.5" wheel trail bike but seems like everything has gone 29er now-days. Bit concerned that 29" wheels would be pretty big compared to my size, especially for tight bermed corners, smaller jumps and drops etc. Maybe mullet would be a compromise?

Could least try a mullet 29/27, commencal has some of you can wait for October for a restock

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Blackhawk posted:

Fwiw I'm the same height and I started with a 29" as my first bike I bought for myself. It was awesome, like a steamroller over the roots that used to slow down my 26" POS.

8 years later and I bought a FS 27.5" and I'm super happy with it. It's more nimble and with more experience I don't even miss the extra circumference.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
4 day weekend over Easter and managed to get 5 rides in, starting Thursday evening and finishing yesterday. The weather here in the UK was perfect and the whole weekend was an absolute blast. 130km (80 miles) distance but 4205m (13796ft) overall which is a lot for me, my legs are tired now for sure! So many good trails done and new ones explored, really felt like summer was here!

I recently converted my forks to coil too and they are incredible. There's a lot more support with them but the small bump sensitivity is absolutely wild.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

That's a very respectable weekend, way to get at it!

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

Blackhawk posted:

There's no harm in trying them out, you might just like them a lot. I ride with some folks similar in height to you and some of them rip it up on 29" and some on 27.5". I've had both through time and each has it's merits. It doesn't have every imaginable bike, but https://bikeinsights.com can be a good thing to get some perspective on what the actual difference in size may be.

In other bike news I just keep hitting F5 waiting on my shipping notice from Industry Nine, patience is hard when I want my new shiny bits.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Looking for a riding pack recommendation:
Needs 3L bladder capacity
Suspension system or lot of airflow for the back.
Not too many silly pockets that just add weight.
I don't need much carrying capacity, just enough for food and maybe an ultralight jacket.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I always shill for Osprey packs because they're made very well. They seem to be going to a 2.5l bladder, but I think you an still find a 3l if you look.

Find one with the Airspeed back panel, which is like a trampoline to keep the pack from getting too hot on your back. The Syncro series is what I have. I run with a 12 because I like to go for longer rides and carry a little extra gear, so try the 5.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love my osprey pack.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Osprey syncro 12 is what I use. 2.5L, helmet carry if you have a long fire road and don't want to wear it. Just enough room for tools, wind breaker, and snacks. https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/syncro-12-SYNCRO12_625.html

They make a syncro 5L if you want even less room. still a 2.5L though.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

VelociBacon posted:

I love my osprey pack.

Same.

Keep in mind, they just sold to OXXO, so who the gently caress knows where Osprey is going to go in the future.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Very few packs come with a 3L bladder, but most packs will fit a 3L bladder. I’m all in on the style of pack that sits higher and cinches down either with a harness or two chest straps. They don’t move around nearly as much as a conventional pack. I’ve got an Orange Mud 12L pack like this, and it’s good. It’s fairly minimal and doesn’t have a ventilated back panel. I’ve worn it all day multiple times in a lot of different conditions and it’s been fine. I’d like to try a USWE pack, but I don’t wear packs nearly often enough to buy a new one.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

MisterOblivious posted:

Sure. We can do helmet chat!

Virginia Tech just released an updated list of tested helmets. It's a massive increase compared to their last study. If you choose to wear a helmet this is a great resource:

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

Helmet certification standards are loving pitiful. This level of independent testing being made public is unprecedented. Note: they weight rotational protection really highly so the list pushes MIPS helmets upwards a lot.

Found in the OSHA thread, looks like good info on helmets, which I was just looking for a new one.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I really wish they would do full face helmets as well, I need a new Enduro full face after smoking my last one in a crash last fall.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Osprey syncro 12 is what I use. 2.5L, helmet carry if you have a long fire road and don't want to wear it. Just enough room for tools, wind breaker, and snacks. https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/syncro-12-SYNCRO12_625.html

They make a syncro 5L if you want even less room. still a 2.5L though.

I also have this one and love it. Its a great size.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MarxCarl posted:

Found in the OSHA thread, looks like good info on helmets, which I was just looking for a new one.

The anxiety of scrolling down, down, down and not seeing your helmet

Today was sublime riding in New England. Perfect weather, trails mostly dry, and I had a very rare day with no other responsibilities. My legs are shot and blisters are coming up on my palms. Didn’t get any pictures that captured the beauty of the day or the fun of the riding, but I did get this one of a Choda in the woods.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I had no idea we had so many Syncro bros here :respek:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I got the Siskin. I'm apparently an idiot.

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

n8r posted:

I don't need much carrying capacity, just enough for food and maybe an ultralight jacket.

Adding to the Osprey love. I use my osprey running vests when I’m on long rides (duro 1.5 and duro 6). I find them way more comfortable than a pack and they hardly move at all since they’re made to deal with the bouncing from running. I e been able to fit a 2.5L bladder in mine even though they come with a 1.5 standard.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

n8r posted:

I love Osprey stuff (almost all my other packs are from them) but this is my fav cycling backpack:

https://www.deuter.com/us-en/shop/backpacks/p225968-bike-backpack-race-exp-air

The whole thing is suspended off that mesh back panel.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MarxCarl posted:

Real glad mine's 5 stars because it took loving forever to find one that fit my stupid cranium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

In case anyone is wondering the Osprey Syncro 12 fits a 3 liter bladder just fine.