Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The bit I keep perseverating on is how Amazon and Salesforce and the like are supposedly establishing travel funds for employees to seek abortions in less restrictive states. Like, as if we weren’t already too dependent on employers for medical care, just the most psychotic corporate dystopian bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The dystopian part is they are not doing it because they care about abortion access, they are doing it as they do not want to have to pay maternity/paternity leave.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If corporations really cared about being pro-choice, they’d pack up and leave Texas and the like for someplace that is better, but labor and land is cheaper, so they’re ok staying put.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The dystopian part is that the medical care offered by big corporations continues to somehow be vastly better than that provided by the state.

Also re: everyone let's move to Montana, having just spent several days there and being curious, check out real estate prices in, say, Missoula. I hope you have a california mansion to sell because if you don't, the only parts of Montana you can afford to live in are the ones that have no infrastructure or jobs.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Missoula,-MT_rb/

That's not even the worst, check out Bozeman!
https://www.zillow.com/homes/bozeman,-MT_rb/

e. here's your nine choices under $500k - eight condos and a townhome.

There's big, horrible sprawling gated communities being thrown up just outside of the city limits, too.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 6, 2022

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One of my old studio mates now lives in Butte and pricing was tolerable… about 7 years ago.

The :allears: option is all the ivory tower Dems that can WFH should be the ones moving to the sticks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

One of my old studio mates now lives in Butte and pricing was tolerable… about 7 years ago.

The :allears: option is all the ivory tower Dems that can WFH should be the ones moving to the sticks.

Yeah but they got spouses and kids. Some of them, yes, are into the hobby ranch faux cowboy lifestyle, and willing to tolerate 7 months of snow annually. But there's a reason Montana isn't already fully of programmers and finance bros. and it's not just the lack of fibre to the house.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Only problem with that is that "the sticks" have terrible internet service. So if working from home often sucks because you can't get a good connection. I have friends that live in southwest Michigan, which is rural, but not like Wyoming rural, and they can do like one thing at a time. You can either use the computer, or stream a show, can't do both. Makes it tough if you're on video calls a lot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Elon Musk is the savior, if that's the only thing in the way; Starlink is a godsend compared to loving Hughes.

I don't buy it, though. It's rare that the techbro's spouses are also full-time work from home, and there's also a depressing commonality of mediocrity among rural red state school districts.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Gotta love this society where it’s just impossible to live anywhere without spending so much loving money you can’t do anything else.

I mean, like at this point we only exist as a wealth extraction medium for the rich and there’s no way to fix it without revolution.

I used to look at the brazen bull with horror and amazement, but now I find myself admiring the lines, imagining the steam, the sights the sounds

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Guys, I am on the verge of a Dogpocalypse and don't know what to do. My and my parents dog had to go the vet ER because she had a collapsed trachea. In human terms thats a mortal injury, but thankfully in doggy terms its just really bad. Her breed (shih tzu) gets it a lot and from my research 70% can be treated medically. They put her on a bunch of meds and I am hoping they resolve the issue, even if she is on them for life. We are getting a second opinion when we get back to Florida. She was ok yesterday but this morning was really bad. My parents made the decision that if it doesn't resolve in 2 or 3 weeks, which seems to be a reasonable amount of time, then they will put her down. Gasping for breath 75% of the day and being drugged to poo poo is no way to live. She is truly suffering.

As for my girlfriends dogs, little Einstein (who is super dumb but super sweet) is doing just fine. Ros is ok health wise, but there is no way we can take her to Miami. She barks constantly when we leave no matter what we do. Here in PA its fine because she is in a house, and isolated. She also loses her mind anytime we go outside and sees a dog. Oddly, she plays at the park with dogs really well, and is super sweet with old dogs and small dogs, its just walking her on the leash and she sees one she goes nuts and I honestly don't know how to train her out of that. We could leave her with my girlfriend's parents, but then poor Einstein would lose his best friend and cuddle buddy. I love Ros and she has become "my" dog. I am the one one she goes to, and instantly cuddles up with. Whenever I come back from being away she cries when she sees me which she has never done with anyone else. I just don't know what to do, or how to train her and I fear this is not reversible behavior since she is a rescue and 9-ish years old. She can be so sweet but so so trying as anyone with a hound can attest to. If I can get her to not bark constantly when I leave then I feel I could work on the other stuff. I am afraid of losing two or maybe three (we don't want to split Ein and Ros up) dogs in a few months of each other.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

think im gonna quit soon. this job has gone from lovely to messy as gently caress now. this is what i get for believing this dumb tech guy was capable of running even a small company.

I'm rooting for you comrade. We can chalk this up to a valuable life lesson about never trusting tech people.

Get yourself a nice cozy position at a big stable organization and just coast babey.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

So what is the optimal "move to a better place" strategy?

Get a job with a global corporation and then switch jobs to a different location in like, Denmark or New Zealand or Argentina?

Get a job with the UN and rotate between northern Europe and Spain?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Ornery and Hornery posted:

So what is the optimal "move to a better place" strategy?

Get a job with a global corporation and then switch jobs to a different location in like, Denmark or New Zealand or Argentina?

Get a job with the UN and rotate between northern Europe and Spain?

Be a) white and b) born 60+ years ago

Anything else and you’re hosed

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I’m just curious who has moved the least. I’ve lived in six different places/houses (not cities) in my life, and three of those were in college.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m just curious who has moved the least. I’ve lived in six different places/houses (not cities) in my life, and three of those were in college.

Four different states since graduating high school (including the state in which I graduated high school), and in that time period never lived in the same space for more than two years. E: 13 different living spaces there, though one move was going from one apartment to another in the same complex but I'm counting that as two different spaces.

VVV Ouch

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 6, 2022

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Silly Burrito posted:

ive lived in...11? different states and one other country. ive moved at least once every 18 mos for the last 17 years. i am extremely tired

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I'm rooting for you comrade. We can chalk this up to a valuable life lesson about never trusting tech people.

Get yourself a nice cozy position at a big stable organization and just coast babey.

yea i knew it going in but like an idiot i assumed the issue is that as a fintech guy he was going to secretly be a ruthless prick not the reality where he's a deluded out of touch imbecile delighted by new shiny things and incapable of making decisions or dealing with literally any HR issue. ruthless but semi-competent i hate but can handle. this is just a loving mess and i can't stand it

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 6, 2022

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

swickles posted:

Guys, I am on the verge of a Dogpocalypse and don't know what to do. My and my parents dog had to go the vet ER because she had a collapsed trachea. In human terms thats a mortal injury, but thankfully in doggy terms its just really bad. Her breed (shih tzu) gets it a lot and from my research 70% can be treated medically. They put her on a bunch of meds and I am hoping they resolve the issue, even if she is on them for life. We are getting a second opinion when we get back to Florida. She was ok yesterday but this morning was really bad. My parents made the decision that if it doesn't resolve in 2 or 3 weeks, which seems to be a reasonable amount of time, then they will put her down. Gasping for breath 75% of the day and being drugged to poo poo is no way to live. She is truly suffering.

I'm so sorry :glomp:

quote:

As for my girlfriends dogs, little Einstein (who is super dumb but super sweet) is doing just fine. Ros is ok health wise, but there is no way we can take her to Miami. She barks constantly when we leave no matter what we do. Here in PA its fine because she is in a house, and isolated. She also loses her mind anytime we go outside and sees a dog. Oddly, she plays at the park with dogs really well, and is super sweet with old dogs and small dogs, its just walking her on the leash and she sees one she goes nuts and I honestly don't know how to train her out of that. We could leave her with my girlfriend's parents, but then poor Einstein would lose his best friend and cuddle buddy. I love Ros and she has become "my" dog. I am the one one she goes to, and instantly cuddles up with. Whenever I come back from being away she cries when she sees me which she has never done with anyone else. I just don't know what to do, or how to train her and I fear this is not reversible behavior since she is a rescue and 9-ish years old. She can be so sweet but so so trying as anyone with a hound can attest to. If I can get her to not bark constantly when I leave then I feel I could work on the other stuff. I am afraid of losing two or maybe three (we don't want to split Ein and Ros up) dogs in a few months of each other.

My dog does that too! The best I can say is to perserve and just get her used to seeing the other dogs. She will eventually calm down. Strange dogs will probably always cause her to freak out but if you've been walking enough in an area, hopefully she'll learn. That's my approach, at least...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Sea_Doc/status/1522410632246484997?t=gLItFzNlG7Pl2Ml0g5H84w&s=19

Folks, American soccer has ARRIVED at the worldwide scene.

(Sounders are gonna get their asses kicked, but it's still cool they made it there!)

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm at 5 places in 5 different cities and only 2 different states.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dogs with severe behavior problems, and their owners, should go get professional training sessions, if that is at all affordable. A lot of behaviors that owners can't seem to correct or cope with, can be corrected or changed over time, but exactly how to do it may require direct expert observation and assistance. Of course that may not actually be affordable, which sucks.

Spiraling housing costs are not a sustainable long-term trend; right now at this moment, they're a combination of high inflation that two generations have never experienced in their lifetimes and are not really wrapping their heads around, more or less full employment, and the real estate sector being just about the only one with attractive returns for investors who have vast amounts of money seeking returns; plus both current and anticipated future serious problems with new housing construction due to the ongoing supply chain crisis.

But as I said, it's not sustainable. The costs of homes have to normalize, at some point - I don't know exactly when (nobody does) or exactly what it will look like, but speculative bubbles always pop, the attractive returns to builders getting larger and larger will spur development and those builders will do everything they possibly can to fix the supply chain, inflation will eventually subside, and we'll eventually have a proper recession that lays a bunch of people off and kills consumer confidence and that will also drop prices (of course at the cost of lots of human misery).

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

dont move to the PNW unless you have a lot of money. housing particularly is real loving expensive if you want to live within 50 miles of the I-5 corridor.

Milder climate, more progressive politics, bring money

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I've moved 16 times, will be 17 in July. Only two states and three different cities, though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If we’re talking lifetime I guess it’s seven locations over five cities and two states.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

How’s Vermont?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My folks divorced and remarried, joint custody. So as a kid, my folks in SF rented, and moved every few years: I think about five or six places total, not sure if there was 1 or 2 apts when I was an infant, let's call it six total. My other family lived in three different places including the one in england, while I was with them. So that's 9. I lived alone for two years, and then with my wife in four different places, for five more: 13.

I'm not planning to retire in this house: so I'm hoping to get to 14. And then there's a good chance that before I die, I'll wind up in some kind of senior living, unless I'm lucky enough to die suddenly or even more lucky and actually not wind up disabled in some way in my very old age. So probably around 15-16 by the end, unless something unexpected comes up.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I moved 810* times in my life. The big one was from the Boston suburbs to Portland, OR. I was able to swing it by being able to convince my then-employer to retain my pay rate, which at the time meant I could afford to 1: move to a cheaper place (Portland was relatively cheap in the late 2000's/early 2010's) and 2: shift down from full-time to part-time so I could start my actual art career.

I'm not going to lie, I really lucked out on how things worked in my favor. I should note I was being a little facetious when I suggested people move to red states to balance things out, as it doesn't fix the problem that Wyoming has as much political power in the Senate as Florida.

I'm debating if I want to cut out of work early today to watch Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, considering I have to pack tonight for a hike down in Eugene early tomorrow.

*Forgot when I moved to the East Coast to be with my mom before she died.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

How’s Vermont?

hmmm, can't get there from here

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Straight line I went just under 300 miles leaving for college. That kicked off three states and six apartments in 5.5 years. Completely different after that - 12 years later we've lived in just two different houses, both in the same metro area.

e: I guess if you count growing up it was 2 houses in 18 years and my parents have lived in the same city my entire life

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Moved as a little kid, then to college (went home each summer and a new place each year, but it doesn't count if you don't have furniture). Then two apartments, then my house.

All between RI and MA.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

My and my parents dog had to go the vet ER because she had a collapsed trachea. In human terms thats a mortal injury, but thankfully in doggy terms its just really bad.

Jesus Goddamned Christ I'd have assumed that was a mortal injury for any living thing that has a trachea.

I have no useful ideas here but I am wishing you luck with all of your doggo friends.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Lived in two different houses as a kid (5 years and 13 years)

Lived in two dorm rooms and three apartments during college (1 year each)

Lived in an apartment by myself after college (2 years) before buying my own first house (10 years). Got married, moved to my current house (3 years)

Two different cities, one state

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

swickles posted:

drat man, sorry to hear about your pup. And hope your and your lady friend can figure something out.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Freaquency posted:

Be a) white and b) born 60+ years ago

Anything else and you’re hosed

I've been reading a book called Console Wars about the rise of Sega and their campaign against Nintendo. It is jarring how much of it is C-level executives with mid level intellects and an overabundance of confidence being showered with professional success for ideas and execution the average high-schooler could pull off today. Constantly struck by how much more competent people are at the individual level today contrasted against how dysfunctional our society has become.

I guess that phenomena is partly due to those 80s-90s executive types still having their hands on the wheel 40 years later.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

Technically I’ve lived in six places, but three of those were before I turned 4 (One while I was an infant) and I have few faint memories of them. Otherwise, I’ve only moved twice since 1993~ and have essentially lived within the same 5~ mile part of Broward county all my life. Of course, I’ve always lived with family because down here is stupid expensive.

Ironically, the condo development I’ve lived in since 2009 is the same one where my parents lived when I was born.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Silly Burrito posted:

Let's see... five times in Canada (not counting the summer in a B&B and that fall and winter crashing on my brother's couch), sixth time was to the US to join my parents/go to college, seventh was moving with them from condo to house, eighth was my first apartment. I'm on my sixth apartment in Chicago so a baker's dozen for me.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 6, 2022

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

well i'm moving to maryland later this month

it's been some time for me

also, some good netflix news

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1522660255808868355

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I've been reading a book called Console Wars about the rise of Sega and their campaign against Nintendo. It is jarring how much of it is C-level executives with mid level intellects and an overabundance of confidence being showered with professional success for ideas and execution the average high-schooler could pull off today. Constantly struck by how much more competent people are at the individual level today contrasted against how dysfunctional our society has become.

I guess that phenomena is partly due to those 80s-90s executive types still having their hands on the wheel 40 years later.

Yup, today as an average Joe you have to be hyper-competent and hyper-productive just to top out in middle management, but you can be an incredible dumbfuck and as long as you know a guy or have a relation to someone you get to be in the C-suite and make poo poo up with the best of them.

Vertical Lime posted:

well i'm moving to maryland later this month

it's been some time for me

also, some good netflix news

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1522660255808868355

Yeah but if you want to watch it, you gotta give

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Best mattress for side sleepers?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

3 houses growing up and bought my own so 4. 2 cities 1 state.

FizFashizzle posted:

As a side sleeper I could never find a good one so I bought the best I could and then bought a 150cm body pillow. Haven't had a back, neck or shoulder issue since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

Check out https://laylasleep.com/